Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Notre Dame - 11/21/2015

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Official Gameday Thread - BC vs. Notre Dame - 11/21/2015

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:34 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Overall, I'd say this Shamrock Series event at Fenway was an embarrassment to BC. When it was first scheduled, I tried to look at the positives - away game without the travel hangover making a victory more likely - but it was not worth it.

Were you there? I'd be interested to know what it was like.

No agenda here I promise

I did not go. The night before I almost pulled the trigger on a $165 SRO ticket, but decided against it.

I can't imagine USC would ever agree to a Shamrock Series at Dodger Stadium with all of that ND pageantry. It just perpetuates the BC "small-time" problem.

I think the choice is play ND like this or insert generic MAC team here. I'd prefer to play ND at Fenway but can see the other side.

Notre Dame is required to play BC and all other ACC teams, as part of the ACC deal. Five ACC teams per year. Since BC was the away team for this game, the option for BC was Fenway or South Bend. Next time we are the away team against ND, I vote South Bend.

Incorrect (or at least I think). This Shamrock Series is a one-off game not part of the ACC deal. I kept hearing Meter say this all week and I wanted to slap him through the radio. ND is required to play 5 ACC games a year, they played 6 this year. Check the 2014 and 2016 schedules, ND only has 5 ACC teams.

I could be wrong here but I'm 99% sure of this. Based on it your choice was ND at Fenway or another lovely Brad Bates OOC opponent.

It's an average of five teams per year:

According to Atlantic Coast Conference associate commissioner Michael Strickland, the league entered into a standard game agreement with Notre Dame, a member of the conference in all sports except football, to provide visiting ACC teams an allotment of 5,000 tickets. That is part of the arrangement for Notre Dame to play an average of five games per year against ACC teams over the next 12 years.

“When our teams go to South Bend for a Notre Dame home game — or, in this case, Fenway Park, since it’s a Notre Dame home game — the ACC ticket policy will apply,’’ Strickland said. “We’ve actually revised it upward to give Notre Dame more tickets when they come to our places than your typical ACC game and vice versa, so it’s a total of 5,000 tickets that every ACC school will get when they go play at Notre Dame and then, likewise, Notre Dame will get 5,000 when they come to our places.’’

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2014/05/22/ ... story.html
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:39 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:Overall, I'd say this Shamrock Series event at Fenway was an embarrassment to BC. When it was first scheduled, I tried to look at the positives - away game without the travel hangover making a victory more likely - but it was not worth it.

No agenda here I promise

I did not go. The night before I almost pulled the trigger on a $165 SRO ticket, but decided against it.

I can't imagine USC would ever agree to a Shamrock Series at Dodger Stadium with all of that ND pageantry. It just perpetuates the BC "small-time" problem.

I think the choice is play ND like this or insert generic MAC team here. I'd prefer to play ND at Fenway but can see the other side.

Notre Dame is required to play BC and all other ACC teams, as part of the ACC deal. Five ACC teams per year. Since BC was the away team for this game, the option for BC was Fenway or South Bend. Next time we are the away team against ND, I vote South Bend.

Incorrect (or at least I think). This Shamrock Series is a one-off game not part of the ACC deal. I kept hearing Meter say this all week and I wanted to slap him through the radio. ND is required to play 5 ACC games a year, they played 6 this year. Check the 2014 and 2016 schedules, ND only has 5 ACC teams.

I could be wrong here but I'm 99% sure of this. Based on it your choice was ND at Fenway or another lovely Brad Bates OOC opponent.

According to Atlantic Coast Conference associate commissioner Michael Strickland, the league entered into a standard game agreement with Notre Dame, a member of the conference in all sports except football, to provide visiting ACC teams an allotment of 5,000 tickets. That is part of the arrangement for Notre Dame to play an average of five games per year against ACC teams over the next 12 years.

“When our teams go to South Bend for a Notre Dame home game — or, in this case, Fenway Park, since it’s a Notre Dame home game — the ACC ticket policy will apply,’’ Strickland said. “We’ve actually revised it upward to give Notre Dame more tickets when they come to our places than your typical ACC game and vice versa, so it’s a total of 5,000 tickets that every ACC school will get when they go play at Notre Dame and then, likewise, Notre Dame will get 5,000 when they come to our places.’’

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-notre-da ... 2014-10-21

Yep you were right. I'd still rather play this thing at Fenway than South Bend. BC used this game as a recruiting tool. Same with the GT deal.
Last edited by eepstein0 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:42 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

No agenda here I promise

I still don't think this was part of BC playing ND within the ACC series. You can look at the future ND schedule commitments, they play 5 every year except for this year. I think this was still a one-off but again could be wrong here.

But if this were a one-off, I don't believe the ACC ticket policy would have applied. But I could be wrong.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:44 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

No agenda here I promise

I still don't think this was part of BC playing ND within the ACC series. You can look at the future ND schedule commitments, they play 5 every year except for this year. I think this was still a one-off but again could be wrong here.

But if this were a one-off, I don't believe the ACC ticket policy would have applied. But I could be wrong.

Nope you're right see my post above.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:08 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:Who is out for BC tonight besides the obvious ones like Wade, Moore and Hilliman?

Outlow.

what's the story with outlow?

certainly a bizarre year for injuries
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:As someone who doesn't give a crap about Fenway, I think it was good playing them in Fenway. It rekindled some level of local interest in what is a lost season. No one in Boston gives a flying fuck about BC unless we are holding the #2 BCS ranking hostage or knocking off a #1. I also can assure that this is the last Shamrock Series where they schedule a team to be played in their backyard. On TV the crowd sounded like it was 1/3 BC. Not much home field advantage there. Simply... BC wins if we had a real OC or even just Day. Or if the goddamn QB coach just fucking knew its own motherfucking personnel.

Honestly, there is really no "unless". Just stop with "no one gives a fuck about BC." That's why alienating casual fans, a BC specialty, is so stupid. But BC takes pride in it. Saw it in full action with 500 other people at the hoop game.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:39 pm

basselope {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:If I played defense for this team, I wouldn't let the offense and the coaches in the locker room.

I still laugh every time I remember the story about the team locking spaz out of the locker room.

I picture him pounding on the door while eating a bear claw. "Yous guys a-better let me in, or theres-a gonna be trouble!"

So can anyone name the player who locked the door and which game was it?
Winner gets a ZIMA Gold imported from Japan.

Foot is ineligible...

Player was Herzy, right??

Don't remember the exact game....think it was against one of those forgettable games against Maryland, NC State, Wake, etc
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:15 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
basselope {l Wrote}:
Reverend Mike {l Wrote}:
eaglesfan06 {l Wrote}:If I played defense for this team, I wouldn't let the offense and the coaches in the locker room.

I still laugh every time I remember the story about the team locking spaz out of the locker room.

I picture him pounding on the door while eating a bear claw. "Yous guys a-better let me in, or theres-a gonna be trouble!"

So can anyone name the player who locked the door and which game was it?
Winner gets a ZIMA Gold imported from Japan.

Foot is ineligible...

Player was Herzy, right??

Don't remember the exact game....think it was against one of those forgettable games against Maryland, NC State, Wake, etc

I thought it was Herzy @VT
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:09 am

no it was luke
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:41 am

I loved the uniforms.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:59 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:no it was luke

Yeah, I think you're right. Herzy's final year was 2010, the wheels didn't really start to come off the Spaz bus until 2011
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:05 am

Wasn't Herzy was a huge advocate for Spaz getting the job in the first place?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:13 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Wasn't Herzy was a huge advocate for Spaz getting the job in the first place?

yes
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:14 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Wasn't Herzy was a huge advocate for Spaz getting the job in the first place?

yes - and he also acted as an assitantish coach the year that he was out for treatment. i don't see mark as one of the folks locking the door.

luke on the other hand...
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:33 am

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:I loved the uniforms.

I certainly liked them better than what we've been wearing. Would have loved for the names to be on the back and I really hate the smallish UA font.

Speaking of which... I can't believe Bates and Daz hasn't moved past these unis that have been the hallmark of terrible BC football years.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:30 pm

Daz just said they were waiting to get the "proper" field position before inserting Smith into the game Saturday at today's press conference.. WTF?!?!?!
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:15 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:Daz just said they were waiting to get the "proper" field position before inserting Smith into the game Saturday at today's press conference.. WTF?!?!?!

I'd be more surprised if he didn't say something stupid at this point.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:17 pm

fwiw ive heard from now a good amount of people (parents, former players, etc) who know players on the team who all have given me the same info...which is that many players hate playing for daz.

though in fairness id imagine the disciplinarian approach comes off particularly bad when youre not winning football games
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby StratEagle on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:22 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:fwiw ive heard from now a good amount of people (parents, former players, etc) who know players on the team who all have given me the same info...which is that many players hate playing for daz.

though in fairness id imagine the disciplinarian approach comes off particularly bad when youre not winning football games

It's the lack of personal accountability. You can't run half way across the field to yell at a walk on kicker for fucking up a kick everyone knew he was gonna fuck up, and then shit yourself on the clock management 2 minutes later, without ever shouldering a shred of the blame.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:28 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:fwiw ive heard from now a good amount of people (parents, former players, etc) who know players on the team who all have given me the same info...which is that many players hate playing for daz.

We knew Daz's style had a limited shelf-life coming into this thing. I was hoping the players would buy in for another year because the talent has improved, but if they start tuning out the coaches then all the talent in the world won't save them.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:35 pm

All styles of coaching have a limited shelf life when you are losing the way this team is losing. Despite this, if the players are tuning out the coach or checking out for the season, I have seen no evidence on the field. The results are terrible, the effort has not been.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:35 pm

eh I think winning cures all

I'd imagine he's a demanding coach to play for and given the long season I'm sure that wears on players. We haven't really seen any of the kids who signed up with him leave (unless I'm missing someone). In fact, we've seen several of his former players come back to play for him (the florida crew).

I'm sure there are kids that are frustrated and have a right to be. But you'd find that at any other program during a 3 win season.
Last edited by claver2010 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:36 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:

It's the lack of personal accountability. You can't run half way across the field to yell at a walk on kicker for fucking up a kick everyone knew he was gonna fuck up, and then shit yourself on the clock management 2 minutes later, without ever shouldering a shred of the blame.

You hit the nail on the head. It's why Daz is a loser and JC is not. JC EXPLICITLY REFUSED TO BLAME YOUTH ON THE TEAM'S STRUGGLES at the start of this season, something Daz would die before doing. He has used youth as an excuse all three of his years here.

And Regardless of Daz' potential with this program, which due to his lack of accountability and thus lack of character is most likely 7-6, the way he refuses puts unworthy blame on the players has turned me against him. I thought he was a guy who believe in personal integreity? Clearly he is just an idiotic meat-head who got the interim UF job, Temple job, and BC job due to HORRENDOUS hiring/vetting by the athletic department. I am calling Daz Petey from now on, and no, not in reference to Petey Pablo.

The Peter principle is a concept in management theory formulated by Laurence J. Peter in which the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role. Thus, employees only stop being promoted once they can no longer perform effectively, and "managers rise to the level of their incompetence."

Is there anyone on here that needed the definition of the Peter Principle?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:48 pm

people like approaches when they're winning and hate the same approaches when they are losing.

i was just surprised at the number of people who were saying it. it doesnt look like this team quit (although lets see saturday)
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:

You hit the nail on the head. It's why Daz is a loser and JC is not. JC EXPLICITLY REFUSED TO BLAME YOUTH ON THE TEAM'S STRUGGLES at the start of this season, something Daz would die before doing. He has used youth as an excuse all three of his years here.

And Regardless of Daz' potential with this program, which due to his lack of accountability and thus lack of character is most likely 7-6, the way he refuses puts unworthy blame on the players has turned me against him. I thought he was a guy who believe in personal integreity? Clearly he is just an idiotic meat-head who got the interim UF job, Temple job, and BC job due to HORRENDOUS hiring/vetting by the athletic department. I am calling Daz Petey from now on, and no, not in reference to Petey Pablo.

The Peter principle is a concept in management theory formulated by Laurence J. Peter in which the selection of a candidate for a position is based on the candidate's performance in their current role, rather than on abilities relevant to the intended role. Thus, employees only stop being promoted once they can no longer perform effectively, and "managers rise to the level of their incompetence."

It's nice when the Harvard folks put things into terms the rest of us can understand.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:53 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:

Roonie? Hansen? HJS? Fill in the corners? I dont know, I am sick of watching Daz roam the sidelines like a wild boar and got a little carried away.

Forgot about hansen, carry on
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Nov 23, 2015 1:57 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:people like approaches when they're winning and hate the same approaches when they are losing.

i was just surprised at the number of people who were saying it. it doesnt look like this team quit (although lets see saturday)

I was not impressed with the effort in the VTech game.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:01 pm

Effort has been fine all season. In fact, surprisingly so.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:48 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

gdf
spaz
donahue
sgt. slaughter

the rest of us have seen it firsthand at least 4 times

by the way, this is why jhiggi is a "worst poster" and tewardo is an "asshat poster"
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:51 pm

also, do the kids still love the whole #dude thing and therefore it's still cool or has the rest of the world finally realized the asinine retardetry of the #dude thing
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium