24 acre purchase

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 24 acre purchase

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:22 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:what about a new stadium above ground with the engineering school below ground?

Engineering students would sign off on a subterranean learning space in a heartbeat.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:22 pm

NaturalLight {l Wrote}:There's been rumblings of an engineering school over the past 5-10 years.

Can you provide a source other than an IB post?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:35 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
NaturalLight {l Wrote}:There's been rumblings of an engineering school over the past 5-10 years.

http://www.bu.edu/eng/
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:38 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

The sense of danger I felt clicking that link.... I'm sorry I doubted your readiness for the season.

And that guy has a pretty impressively sized dong, btw.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:39 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

i think it's a false scale using a plantain instead of a full sized banana
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:43 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

i think it's a false scale using a plantain instead of a full sized banana

Hmmm. Probably a safety precaution, too. I'd imagine there was less tearing and bleeding that way.

Still, false advertising.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:46 pm

Not to change the subject, but there is some epic trolling on the blog boy website. Someone is effing with the Misfit Toys.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:59 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Not to change the subject, but there is some epic trolling on the blog boy website. Someone is effing with the Misfit Toys.

http://www.atlantaeagle.com/atlanta-eagle-news/

who is that guy? it's got the longwindedness of nospace mixed in with the craziness of concernedeagle
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:11 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Not to change the subject, but there is some epic trolling on the blog boy website. Someone is effing with the Misfit Toys.

who is that guy? it's got the longwindedness of nospace mixed in with the craziness of concernedeagle

no idea, but it is awesome.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

It was the guy I quoted the other day that you said was definitely not a parody.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:28 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

It was the guy I quoted the other day that you said was definitely not a parody.

Yeah, I know, his posts date back years. Maybe a sleeper cell? Or maybe he is real and went off the reservation this time.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:34 pm

He definitely took it up a notch in that latest post. The most sane thing I found in there was his statement that Wade has poor mechanics based on a photo of him throwing a football that he saw once.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:35 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:He definitely took it up a notch in that latest post. The most sane thing I found in there was his statement that Wade has poor mechanics based on a photo of him throwing a football that he saw once.

I was partial to this:

Jags was the greatest thing since sliced bread. His 4 kids were the greatest. I have seen nothing yet about Addazio and his married life other than Louie.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:32 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Is 24 acres even in the ballpark of enough land?

I was thinking the same thing that's not as much room as you think.

To be honest I don't hate Keeper's idea, but good luck getting students to get on a bus and attend football games.

It's walking distance. No more than a mile and a quarter.

Do you see this crop of losers walking over a mile to a football game?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Aug 25, 2015 4:41 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I was partial to this:

Jags was the greatest thing since sliced bread. His 4 kids were the greatest. I have seen nothing yet about Addazio and his married life other than Louie.

There are shades of campion in that quote.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:A revs stadium is a foregone conclusion. He won't be sharing it with BC football, however.

This

The trend in MLS is to build soccer specific stadiums. Small, single use stadiums with seating capacity around 20-25K as opposed to using American football stadiums. This transition has led a majority of the teams to finally begin to be profitable.

Thus, the idea of the Revs sharing a BC stadium with capacity of around 45K is :clownshoes.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:21 pm

This stuff is just too good to not be a parody.

"Wade has big problems. A picture can tell you that he doesn't use the laces to throw. Flutie said that the laces are on the ball for a reason"

"BC has always been different. BC has had standards. You cannot win with standards."

" BC no longer wants Christian warriors. They want barbarian gladiators."

He is from the same hometown as Suntrup, who would be a fifth year senior this year. I can't remember why Suntrup never panned out. Did he get injured?
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:25 pm

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby EagleDave on Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:57 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:So I see 'parking and administrative offices' in the article, which means the pure paint fumes on the co-building a stadium with the Revolution. I guess I'm not shocked.

Especially since the Revs stadium plan that got filed is for the spot where the morons thought they were going to put the Olympics.

Right.

But of course, I'm sure Keeper has some really good reasons why Kraft would want to sink money into a stadium specifically for soccer that is buried in suburbia away from reliable transportation and the south american immigrant population that they want to attract. Probably the biggest reason is because he wants to help BC build a new stadium.

and soccer stadiums need filled-in corners

He who is tired of Alumni Stadium corner seat jokes is tired of life.

+2
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Yeah, I know, his posts date back years. Maybe a sleeper cell? Or maybe he is real and went off the reservation this time.

If JBQ is Campion then the guy is truly devoted to his craft and building an online persona. JBQ has been sending me all sorts of emails and links for years.
Last edited by ATLeagle on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:36 pm

Go on...
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Eaglekeeper on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:19 pm

Fr. Monan always wanted an engineering school, I do not know if Leahy shares that vision. BC has to keep growing its research capacity and that requires more buildings. I believe Shea Field is about 4 acres and including Alumni Stadium and Conte you might have 10 acres.

Futbol and lacrosse were moved off campus and baseball and softball will be moved off the main campus as well. Why not move the entire football operation off campus? If BC needs room for academic buildings, does it really make sense to build an indoor practice field on Shea? I can see leaving Conte for hockey and other indoor events, but Alumni takes up a lot of space and the football building can be repurposed. The land is becoming too valuable on the main campus and the new 24 acres is just down the street. The green line does cross under Hammond Pond Parkway.

The revenues will increase significantly with a new stadium. It's a unique situation where the neighbors might actually support essentially moving the location of the stadium to the new site. You could add a green line stop onsite or very close to the stadium. A practice hockey rink could be added to the site as well.

This acquisition is a real game changer that gives BC a lot of planning options to consider. I can't see it ever making sense to invest 100 million plus into Alumni Stadium and an indoor practice field in their present locations given this new opportunity.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:39 pm

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Fr. Monan always wanted an engineering school, I do not know if Leahy shares that vision. BC has to keep growing its research capacity and that requires more buildings. I believe Shea Field is about 4 acres and including Alumni Stadium and Conte you might have 10 acres.

Futbol and lacrosse were moved off campus and baseball and softball will be moved off the main campus as well. Why not move the entire football operation off campus? If BC needs room for academic buildings, does it really make sense to build an indoor practice field on Shea? I can see leaving Conte for hockey and other indoor events, but Alumni takes up a lot of space and the football building can be repurposed. The land is becoming too valuable on the main campus and the new 24 acres is just down the street. The green line does cross under Hammond Pond Parkway.

The revenues will increase significantly with a new stadium. It's a unique situation where the neighbors might actually support essentially moving the location of the stadium to the new site. You could add a green line stop onsite or very close to the stadium. A practice hockey rink could be added to the site as well.

This acquisition is a real game changer that gives BC a lot of planning options to consider. I can't see it ever making sense to invest 100 million plus into Alumni Stadium and an indoor practice field in their present locations given this new opportunity.

The fact I'm agreeing with lots of this is scaring me
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:50 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:Fr. Monan always wanted an engineering school, I do not know if Leahy shares that vision. BC has to keep growing its research capacity and that requires more buildings. I believe Shea Field is about 4 acres and including Alumni Stadium and Conte you might have 10 acres.

The fact I'm agreeing with lots of this is scaring me

hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby capecod13 on Wed Aug 26, 2015 10:03 pm

The only question I give shit about is what are the chances they will allow daily parking with tailgating on this site? Maybe for up to say 5 Hrs before the game and 2 after. Now we're talking :banana :cheer :elephant :pepper2 :spaz2
capecod13
n00b

Postby rktbrkr on Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:43 am

The state gave 24 valuable acres to jews for a synagogue? So much for separation of church and state. The congregation retains right to use temple until 5/19.

Zero chance Newton will approve construction of a football stadium. Zero. Any more intensive use of the land there will be an expensive and time consuming process.

Any significant renovations of Alumni will be accompanied by community demands to reduce the seating capacity.
rktbrkr
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:23 am

i love when people just say "revenues will increase significantly" without giving any reasons why.

sure, ill take your word for it.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Aug 27, 2015 7:58 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i love when people just say "revenues will increase significantly" without giving any reasons why.

well, you know every gameday the stadium is bursting at the seams. it's clear we need more seats - and more seats brings more money. durrr.

eaglekeeper stinks and lives in a world of simulated video games where you just have to make things nice and it automatically causes people to show up. it's tired, old and never gonna happen
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:18 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i love when people just say "revenues will increase significantly" without giving any reasons why.

well, you know every gameday the stadium is bursting at the seams. it's clear we need more seats - and more seats brings more money. durrr.

eaglekeeper stinks and lives in a world of simulated video games where you just have to make things nice and it automatically causes people to show up. it's tired, old and never gonna happen

In video games, all you have to do is keep winning national titles and the stadium capacity just grows automatically. That's why I haven't weighed in here, figured it was futile to grow any other way.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NaturalLight on Thu Aug 27, 2015 8:53 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I clicked that link in an incognito window but I suppose that would've done nothing for all of my coworkers who sit near me. But actually that link is the reason. BU and Northeastern are growing more and more competitive with BC and we need to keep up.

My sources are generally from meetings with admins in my days as a student. The possibilities are really exciting even if this board has no idea what it will actually be used for. Maybe it'll even stay as a Temple!
NaturalLight
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium