24 acre purchase

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

24 acre purchase

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:31 pm

When the purchase is completed BC will finally have solved its parking and tailgating shortage. With 24 acres BC will have plenty of room for RV's and reasonably priced parking with full tailgating privileges. No reason for time constraints on this lot either given the location. Shuttle bus service to the stadium will be easy.

Having said all that, it's hard to believe that what should be a significant purchase price that BC will only use the site for parking and office space. Given the significant funds needed to renovate Alumni Stadium and the need for a modern indoor arena, BC might be better off building a new football stadium on this site. This will create space for a new arena on campus and get the football stadium out of the neighborhood and close to Rt. 9. BC only uses the stadium 8 times per year including graduation and it makes good sense to move it off campus.

With some fundraising over the next 4 years and low interest borrowing the numbers work. The Revolution might be a possible tenant/partner and other events could be booked. In any event, crazy parking prices and tailgating rules should be over in a few years.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Re: 24 acre purchase

Postby capecod13 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:37 pm

So has BC actually said somewhere that they plan on allowing reasonable parking rates and tailgating on this new land or are you just guessing?

I think the chance of BC building a new stadium is zero.
capecod13
n00b

Postby Eaglekeeper on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:00 pm

With 24 acres, supply and demand will create much lower pricing, especially if the site is just used for parking. Interest in BC football is at an all time low, eventually BC will have to give in to market forces.

Regarding building a new stadium, BC will do it if they can raise a significant portion of the funds. A partnership with the Revolution might cut the cost by 50%. The club areas will be used throughout the year and a 2nd location for a BC Club might work as well. There are a lot of revenue producing opportunities with a new stadium. Baylor is a very good example. Alumni Stadium is an outdated model and pouring millions into renovations is not going to be worth it given this new opportunity. Also, the academic buildings, especially science (research) will always need more space on campus. The stadium takes up a lot of space on a small campus.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:19 pm

Is Robert Kraft REALLY gonna spend any money on the Revs? If it's for the Pats, sure. But the Revs? Doubtful.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:37 am

A revs stadium is a foregone conclusion. He won't be sharing it with BC football, however.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:40 am

DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:17 am

Eaglekeeper {l Wrote}:With 24 acres, supply and demand will create much lower pricing, especially if the site is just used for parking. Interest in BC football is at an all time low, eventually BC will have to give in to market forces.

Not sure I agree. It has been eight years since I last sat in David Murphy's econ class at Fulton Hall but isn't the price set at the point where the producer maximizes revenue? It seems that if they lower the current price of parking, it won't actually increase the revenue as how many additional folks will sign up?
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:25 am

Where in Chestnut Hill is this land?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:30 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Where in Chestnut Hill is this land?

Hammond Pond Parkway, right behind Chestnut Hill Mall.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:31 am

74Dome or Bust
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:33 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Cool. And was there any release about this? Or is Eagle just huffing paint fumes and writing what he sees?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:34 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Cool. And was there any release about this? Or is Eagle just huffing paint fumes and writing what he sees?

P&S was signed a few weeks ago https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2015/08/04/purchase-acre-synagogue-site-newton/d0yeeaOewxhA2cW8zDUU3H/story.html
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:38 am

So I see 'parking and administrative offices' in the article, which means the pure paint fumes on the co-building a stadium with the Revolution. I guess I'm not shocked.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:40 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:So I see 'parking and administrative offices' in the article, which means the pure paint fumes on the co-building a stadium with the Revolution. I guess I'm not shocked.

Especially since the Revs stadium plan that got filed is for the spot where the morons thought they were going to put the Olympics.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:45 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:So I see 'parking and administrative offices' in the article, which means the pure paint fumes on the co-building a stadium with the Revolution. I guess I'm not shocked.

Especially since the Revs stadium plan that got filed is for the spot where the morons thought they were going to put the Olympics.

Right.

But of course, I'm sure Keeper has some really good reasons why Kraft would want to sink money into a stadium specifically for soccer that is buried in suburbia away from reliable transportation and the south american immigrant population that they want to attract. Probably the biggest reason is because he wants to help BC build a new stadium.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:46 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Right.

But of course, I'm sure Keeper has some really good reasons why Kraft would want to sink money into a stadium specifically for soccer that is buried in suburbia away from reliable transportation and the south american immigrant population that they want to attract. Probably the biggest reason is because he wants to help BC build a new stadium.

and soccer stadiums need filled-in corners
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:48 am

Ok. So Keeper's idea is bad. But to be fair, I actually read it again and I see he did pose it as speculation as to what they should do, not a statement as to what we are going to do.

But still, seems as pointless as posting your ideal conferences.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:51 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Ok. So Keeper's idea is bad. But to be fair, I actually read it again and I see he did pose it as speculation as to what they should do, not a statement as to what we are going to do.

i'm surprised he's not already talking about the concessions at the new stadium

http://www.patriots.com/news/2014/10/23/12-foods-try-your-next-patriots-game
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:53 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:Ok. So Keeper's idea is bad. But to be fair, I actually read it again and I see he did pose it as speculation as to what they should do, not a statement as to what we are going to do.

This was very eye-opening.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:56 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

and perfectly timed... as lunch approaches people will start to consider where they can most likely get some stadium food inside them
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:59 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby dtwalrus on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:36 am

From an article I found in the Herald (I think?) it was mentioned that when the land was first given to the Jewish community in the 1950's part of the agreement includes the stipulation that it would be used only for "religious and educational" purposes for 100 years. I wonder if that stipulation will apply to BC as well. If so, I would assume that that would eliminate the possibility of building a stadium on the land for the next 30 years or so.
dtwalrus
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:46 am

dtwalrus {l Wrote}:From an article I found in the Herald (I think?) it was mentioned that when the land was first given to the Jewish community in the 1950's part of the agreement includes the stipulation that it would be used only for "religious and educational" purposes for 100 years. I wonder if that stipulation will apply to BC as well. If so, I would assume that that would eliminate the possibility of building a stadium on the land for the next 30 years or so.

This is a non-issue. Given that BC is the entity buying the land, even a Fordham Law grad could argue their way around that stipulation.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:48 am

Is 24 acres even in the ballpark of enough land?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:19 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Is 24 acres even in the ballpark of enough land?

I was thinking the same thing that's not as much room as you think.

To be honest I don't hate Keeper's idea, but good luck getting students to get on a bus and attend football games.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:43 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

To be honest I don't hate Keeper's idea, but good luck getting students to get on a bus and attend football games.

It's walking distance. No more than a mile and a quarter.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:46 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

It's walking distance. No more than a mile and a quarter.

A short broom ride away.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby NaturalLight on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:16 pm

There's been rumblings of an engineering school over the past 5-10 years. I'm sure they won't put the school (if they decide to pull the trigger) off campus at this site, but maybe with some administrative offices moving over there they can repurpose another building on campus. Not sure I see a stadium being put on this site.
NaturalLight
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:19 pm

NaturalLight {l Wrote}:There's been rumblings of an engineering school over the past 5-10 years. I'm sure they won't put the school (if they decide to pull the trigger) off campus at this site, but maybe with some administrative offices moving over there they can repurpose another building on campus. Not sure I see a stadium being put on this site.

they will never build an engineering school. there is already a boston university so what would we call the school?!?!?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:20 pm

what about a new stadium above ground with the engineering school below ground?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium