Off Season Updates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Off Season Updates

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:04 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm not sure how his mistake undermines his point. Are you suggesting that his presence on the PP makes up for his -14?

To a degree. Not as much as it does for, say, Ovechkin. But looking at a large negative number usually makes people retarded without taking into account overall team goal differential, zone starts, PP/PK time and the like. Those factors are even able to get Tomas Kaberle to a +8 in 2011.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:05 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I'm not sure how his mistake undermines his point. Are you suggesting that his presence on the PP makes up for his -14?

To a degree. Not as much as it does for, say, Ovechkin. But looking at a large negative number usually makes people retarded without taking into account overall team goal differential, zone starts, PP/PK time and the like. Those factors are even able to get Tomas Kaberle to a +8 in 2011.

I respect how you are arguing for arguments sake at this point.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:07 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

i could get in on this if any of this has anything to do with an indoor practice facility?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:07 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Boredom and I never thought, at least last year, Matheson was as bad as the board painted him out to be. I suspect that to be the case again.

You also just described a message board. We're all arguing for argument's sake. Like how Braylon Edwards compares to Randy Moss.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:11 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Boredom and I never thought, at least last year, Matheson was as bad as the board painted him out to be. I suspect that to be the case again.

You also just described a message board. We're all arguing for argument's sake. Like how Braylon Edwards compares to Randy Moss.

Too soon!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bchockey04 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:04 am

Matheson has signed with Florida.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:37 am

official: http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=760954

he's scheduled to graduate this spring

updated roster:
SR:
Doherty
Matheson signed 4/1
Jeke
Silk
McMullen

JR:
Calnan
Cangelosi
Demko
Fitz
Gaudreau
Gilmour
McCoshen
Santini
Savage

SO:
Hanifin
Sanford
Tuch

FR:
Birdsall
Bracco
Brown
Couturier
Dudek
Fitz
Shero
White
Wood

And by position (roughly a depth chart...)

F
Tuch
Fitz (older)
Gilmour
Sanford
Calnan
Cangelosi
Gaudreau
Silk (concussion?)
McMullen

FR:
Wood
Bracco
White
Brown
Dudek
Shero

D
Hanifin
McCoshen
Santini
Matheson signed 4/1
Doherty
Fitz (younger)
Couturier
Savage
Jeke

G
Demko
Birdsall
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:34 am

have to think arizona picking #3 (and presumably hanifin) is good for his chances of sticking around as they tank of auston matthews next draft

i think he would've stayed regardless though

who knew jack eichel could see the future?

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:21 am

demko had the hip surgery

assume he'll be ready for the season
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby AdamBC on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:23 am

I was surprised he was able to walk (short distances) at the dinner the other weekend. He mentioned that he was glad he had two more years of eligibility.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:28 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:have to think arizona picking #3 (and presumably hanifin) is good for his chances of sticking around as they tank of auston matthews next draft

i think he would've stayed regardless though

The Kid seems to think its likely he leaves if he's 3rd. I dunno, I feel like people were overly optimistic about him being a high draft pick and still coming back.

Happy to be wrong.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:27 am

Define "high". Kreider and Matheson were both top 20, no? You're saying like top 5?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:40 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Define "high". Kreider and Matheson were both top 20, no? You're saying like top 5?

Yeah. He's projected to go #3.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:27 pm

Has BC ever had a guy picked in the top 10 in York's reign? Can't think of anybody off the top of my head higher than a mid-to-late 1st rounder, of which there are several (Boyle, Schneider, Matheson, Kreider, probably others).
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:55 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:Has BC ever had a guy picked in the top 10 in York's reign? Can't think of anybody off the top of my head higher than a mid-to-late 1st rounder, of which there are several (Boyle, Schneider, Matheson, Kreider, probably others).

I think in this case its kind of rare in that Hanifin jumped into college before hitting the draft age. Typically most NHL-drafted college kids come to school after being picked somewhere. And Your top 5-Top-10 guys are usually on the fast track to play in the NHL sooner rather than later, so they don't even bother with college (which is why I wouldn't hold my breath for Matthews or Tkatchuck).

So it is kind of uncharted territory for us and probably most places, since even bringing in an 18-year old freshman, drafted or not, is a rarity most everywhere else.

The mid and late 1st rounders we've had that stuck around really could've gone either way, too. Matheson seemed to be entertaining leaving after his frosh and soph years, Hayes was ready to go until his injury, the Rangers wanted Krieder in Hartford after his soph year. A lot of it depends on the organization that picked them and what the kid values overall. While guys listed above stuck around for 3-4 years, a guy like Milano picked in the same range decides to skip the college route altogether.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:14 pm

To answer elvis' question I can't think of one.

I think age certainly has something to do with it. York has recently made a push to get extremely talented kids on campus ASAP despite being extremely young (Demko, Hanifin, arriving as 17 year olds).

Also thinking it's a USA / college hockey improvement thing as of late many top 10 Americans have gone north, granted that's anecdotal.

edit:
2014: no Americans
2013: Seth Jones (WHL)
2012: Galchenyuk (OHL) & Trouba (Michigan - 1 year, entered after getting drafted)
2011: no Americans
2010: no Americans
2009: no Americans
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:35 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Also thinking it's a USA / college hockey improvement thing as of late many top 10 Americans have gone north, granted that's anecdotal.

edit:
2014: no Americans
2013: Seth Jones (WHL)
2012: Galchenyuk (OHL) & Trouba (Michigan - 1 year, entered after getting drafted)
2011: no Americans
2010: no Americans
2009: no Americans

That's what I thought, too. But maybe the better answer is "18 year olds in the NCAA are usually from the USA, and Top 10 picks in the NHL draft are usually not"
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:27 am

yeah probably it's the USA hockey is improving and college hockey is partially benefitting from that.

2 college hockey kids in the top 10 (or top 3) is pretty rare. looking at it, last time was 06 when erik johnson went 1 (1 year at minn), kessel at 5 (1 year at minn), okposo at 7 (1.5 years at minn). toews also went #3 that year but he's obviously :flagcan

next year there are 2 projected top 10 kids from US in Matthews (#1) & Tkachuk. matthews is heading north
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 22, 2015 10:35 am

nothing ground breaking but it's the off season :shrug

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=68819

Steven Santini Returning For Junior Season At Boston College

May 22, 2015, 10:57 AM ET [3 Comments]

Todd Cordell
New Jersey Devils Blogger •

One of the Devils' top prospects will not be turning pro this year.

That prospect is defenseman Steven Santini, who plans on returning to Boston College for his junior year.

Via NJ.com: Defenseman Steve Santini will remain at Boston College, where he is an alternate captain and hopeful of putting together a solid, injury-free season.

As Rich Chere mentioned, Santini dealt with some injuries last season and played just 22 games as a result. In comparison he played 35 games during his freshman season.

Santini still has two years of college eligibility so it makes sense to return and make sure he is as ready for pro hockey as possible before he leaves BC. He may very well want to finish his education, too.

There's also the possibility Santini would like to pursue options elsewhere. If Santini turns pro next summer he'll be able to test free agency (a la Justin Schultz and now Mike Reilly) if he desires to do so.

He'd have to wait 30 days after de-registering from Boston College to talk to other franchises, but I doubt that would prevent him from testing the market if that's what he wants.

Nothing has been said that suggested this will happen, and the two sides will cross this bridge when they get to it, but it's something to keep an eye on moving forward.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:50 pm

i guess they're no longer recruits? but here's a profile on colin white

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2015/6/ ... 1433776014

The Player

Name: Colin White

Position: Center

2014-2015 Team: US NTDP U18

2014-2015 Stats: 54 games played, 23 goals, 31 assists, 54 points

Final NHL Central Scouting Rank: 29th among North American skaters

What are his strengths and weaknesses?

White is a very intelligent two-way centerman that is able to bring a little bit of everything to the game. He has a strong, powerful skating stride, but more importantly, understands how to use that speed to get himself to the right areas of the ice at the right time.

Offensively, White is more of a pass-first player. He relies on his vision and positioning to make plays rather than exceptional natural scoring ability. It's a minor quibble, but that lack of explosive scoring upside is enough to keep him out of the top 10 in a strong draft year. White also barely reaches 6'0" tall and at 183 lbs., he's not really undersized, but there isn't much of a physical element to his game.

Is he trending up or down in his draft year?

White started the year in the discussion as a potential top 10, possibly even top 5 draft pick. But he spent the better part of the season battling mono which really slowed him down and hampered his play. He finished the year very strong with a good World U18 Tournament, but by that point, the damage to his draft stock had been done, with most people ranking him 20-30 range of the draft.

Where is he projected to go in the draft?

This is a tougher one to predict because a team will have to decide how much of White's struggles this year were because of the mono, and how much was a plateau in development. Ignore those bad games in the early part of the season, and White likely belongs in the 10th-15th range of the draft. But with so much importance placed on a how a player performs in their draft year, there is the possibility that White could slip into the latter stages of the first round of the draft. Most current projections seem to split the difference, ranking White right around #20 in the first round.

How does he project as a pro?

The ceiling for White is as a play-making first line center in the NHL, though much more likely that he tops at as a very solid second line centerman that is comfortable being used in any situation.

Where will he go next?

White is scheduled to enroll at Boston College next season where it is expected that he'll step in immediately and be a contributor on offense. He'll likely play two to three years for the Eagles before signing with the team that drafted him with the best case scenario being a short stint in the minors before being ready to compete for a roster spot at the NHL level.

Certainly we were a little light down the middle (EST) last year, a player who can step right in & play reliable C will be huge.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:12 am

:flagus released the WJC evaluation roster. a lot of familiar names:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=771364

2015 U.S. National Junior Evaluation Camp

Goaltenders:
Brandon Halverson, Sault Ste. Marie, OHL (New York Rangers);
Kris Oldham, Omaha, USHL (2015 draft eligible);
Luke Opilka, USNTDP, USHL, (2015 eligible);
Evan Sarthou, Tri-City, WHL (2016 eligible)

Defense:
Louie Belpedio, Miami University, NCHC (Minnesota Wild);
Brandon Carlo, Tri-City, WHL (2015 eligible);
Ryan Collins, University of Minnesota, Big 10 (Columbus Blue Jackets);
Jack Dougherty, University of Wisconsin, Big 10 (Nashville Predators);
Brandon Fortunato, Boston University, HEA (2015 eligible);
Noah Hanifin, Boston College, HEA (2015 eligible);
Josh Jacobs, Michigan State University, Big 10 (New Jersey Devils);
Caleb Jones, USNTDP, USHL (2015 eligible);
Chad Krys, USNTDP, USHL (2016 eligible);
Johnathon Macleod, Boston University, HEA (Tampa Bay Lightning);
Charlie McAvoy, USNTDP, USHL (2016 eligible);
Jake Walman, Providence College, HEA (St. Louis Blues);
Zach Werenski, University of Michigan, Big 10 (2015 eligible)

Forwards:
Paul Bittner, Portland, WHL (2015 eligible);
Ander Bjork, University of Notre Dame, HEA (Boston Bruins);
Brock Boeser, Waterloo, USHL (2015 eligible);
Jeremy Bracco, USNTDP, USHL (2015 eligible);
Kyle Connor, Youngstown, USHL (2015 eligible);
Christian Dvorak, London, OHL (Arizona Coyotes);
Scott Eansor, Seattle, WHL (2015 eligible);
Jack Eichel, Boston University, HEA (2015 eligible);
Christian Fischer, USNTDP, USHL (2015 eligible);
Erik Foley, Cedar Rapids, USHL (2015 eligible);
Conor Garland, Moncton, QMJHL (2015 eligible);
Jordan Greenway, USNTDP, USHL (2015 eligible);
Dylan Larkin, Grand Rapids, AHL (Detroit Red Wings);
Ryan MacInnis, Kitchener, OHL (Arizona Coyotes);
Auston Matthews, USNTDP, USHL (2016 eligible);
Sonny Milano, Plymouth, OHL (Columbus Blue Jackets); :orca
Jack Roslovic, USNTDP, USHL (2015 eligible);
Nick Schmaltz, University of North Dakota, NCHC (Chicago Blackhawks);
Matthew Tkachuk, USNTDP, USHL (2016 eligible);
Alex Tuch, Boston College, HEA (Minnesota Wild);
Dominic Turgeon, Portland, WHL (Detroit Red Wings);
Colin White, USNTDP, USHL (2015 eligible).
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:33 am

article on Noah predraft

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/brui ... for_hockey

After the NHL draft, Hanifin must decide upon going pro and returning to BC. His parents will be part of that process.

“There’s no rush. He’s only 18 years old, and education means a lot to his mother and myself,” Bob said. “I’d love to see him go back to BC. It’s a terrific place and they’re going to have a great team. But we’ll see what happens when this is all over, see what team picks him, talk to them and we’ll re-evaluate. It is Noah’s dream to play in the NHL.”
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:16 am

big night tonight, should hear 2 eagles picked pretty early

i always find it funny how a player can be viewed in a set spot for the entire year, the games stop and there's a ton of movement. oh well should be interesting to see where noah shakes out. the rumor of late is the blue jackets are looking to move from 8 to 3 to grab noah. ironically milano :orca may be on the block as well.

also interested to see where white is selected, he was projected to be a top 10 pick but then had mono this year and struggled.

bracco is on the cusp of 1st round and if he was 3" taller he'd be a lock, i thought nhl teams were over that but oh well.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:22 am

well i guess now we wait for noah, i think he wants to come back
“I think his game is at a point where going back to college isn’t going to improve his game. I think he’s beyond that at this point in time,” MacDonald said. “With young defensemen, it’s asking a lot for them to come in and play right away. I think we’d like to give him that opportunity to prove that he’s ready to go.”

http://hurricanes.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=772450

:kudos to colin white

https://vine.co/u/928302612938371072

:shock how do we embed vines?

bracco should hear his name this am
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles66 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:09 pm

Going to be real nerve-wracking waiting on word regarding Hanifin. Probability on Bracco doesn't sound great...though then again Shanahan noted he doesn't expect for Bracco to compete for an NHL spot for some time.

Bit surprising Cotton lasted until the 6th round and Fitz never got the call. Optimism fading just a bit...but alas, In York We Trust.
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 29, 2015 3:22 pm

i think you're right to be concerned on both.

not sure why the canes are hellbent on bringing him up. he's 18, could use another year in the weight room & playing 30 min / night & the canes are going to be terrible so why burn a year of his elc?

bracco, i hope he shows but something about those itals from ny, i'll believe he's on the team when he's there opening night.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles66 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:06 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:....
bracco, i hope he shows but something about those itals from ny, i'll believe he's on the team when he's there opening night.

I'll believe it on Bracco when he makes it through the first month of games. Can't trust Long Islanders to keep their word...
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:28 am

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/nhl/carolina-hurricanes/article26618770.html

Unlike Fleury, who plays junior hockey for the Red Deer Rebels of the Western Hockey League, Hanifin paid his own way to Raleigh. He’s a rising sophomore, and college kids aren’t allowed to accept travel expenses to NHL prospect camps.

Hanifin said he hopes to make a decision within a couple of weeks on whether he’ll stay at Boston College another season. The Canes want to sign him to an entry-level contract, and general manager Ron Francis said last week he hoped to have Hanifin signed before prospects camp.

“Obviously it’s a big decision, and you don’t want to rush anything,” Hanifin said. “What I got at BC this year helped me a lot, and I don’t want to hurt them in any way by waiting until the last minute to make a decision. I want to make the decision as soon as I can.”

The Canes would like to sign Hanifin, have him play in the Traverse City (Mich.) prospects tournament in September, then bring him to the NHL training camp. There’s always the chance he could play his way onto the Canes’ roster.
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:28 pm

positive update on demko:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=774401

Unmasked: Canucks prospect Demko nears return
Thursday, 07.09.2015 / 3:43 PM / Unmasked
By Kevin Woodley - NHL.com Correspondent
CommentPrintE-mail
SHAWNIGAN LAKE, British Columbia -- Vancouver Canucks goaltending prospect Thatcher Demko said his recent hip surgery is not a setback. He is more excited to see what he can do with two healthy hips.

When you hear how limited Demko's mobility was before having his hips repaired after his second season at Boston College ended in April, and consider what the 19-year-old has accomplished playing through the injuries for almost four years, it's hard to blame him.

"This will be the healthiest I have been. Ever," said Demko, who was Vancouver's second-round pick (No. 36) at the 2014 NHL Draft. "I have just been looking forward to the day I can play pain free for about four years. I'm excited to get some gear on and see what that's like."

Demko wasn't taking part in on-ice activities at Canucks development camp here on Vancouver Island this week, but he has skated in sweatpants since having the procedures on April 20 in New York. Demko will have to wait until next Tuesday to skate with his equipment on, and July 27 before he is allowed to drop into the butterfly again.

With so many goaltenders having hip surgery, Demko is not at all nervous about dropping back into the butterfly, a position that led to his injuries 14 weeks after having them repaired. In addition to being pain-free, the San Diego native said he expects he'll have a wider butterfly and improved mobility.

"Way better than new," he said. "It should be fixed forever now. I had zero degrees of internal rotation last season and two weeks after the operation I was already at 20 degrees, so it was almost immediate."

That internal rotation of the hip is a function of goaltenders using the butterfly, dropping to the ice on their knees and spreading their feet out to the side. The more rotation they have, the wider that butterfly flares to the sides, which not only improves coverage along the ice but reduces the movements and time required to move laterally out of the butterfly, whether pushing side to side while staying down on the knees or recovering back up to the skates.

Goalies tend to push that internal hip rotation beyond normal ranges, and they do so while driving their bodies to the ice with so much force that a joint study by Bauer and McGill University equated a butterfly drop to an Olympic weightlifting clean and jerk. Any imperfections within that ball-and-socket joint can cause impingements that lead to torn labrums and, in some cases, cartilage damage.

The latter can be more troublesome, and some goaltenders, including Nashville Predators starter Pekka Rinne, who needed microfracture surgery, when small fractures are created in the bone on the socket side of the joint to stimulate blood flow and cartilage regrowth.

Most, including Demko, need to have labrum tears repaired, and any imperfections at the top of the femur bone, which forms the ball in the ball-and-socket hip joint, shaved off and smoothed out.

"They stitch up the labrum and they shape the hip itself just to make sure it never happens again," Demko said.

The procedure has become almost as common for goaltenders as Tommy John surgery for baseball pitchers. That includes a friend of Demko's who pitches for Boston College.

"He had the Tommy John surgery right when I had my hip surgery and we were joking back and forth about it," Demko said.

Demko admitted he had "some butterflies," an ironic choice of words, about having his hips operated on, but took comfort in knowing so many other goalies have been better after it, including Tim Thomas, who won his second Vezina Trophy, the Stanley Cup and Conn Smythe Trophy the season after having his hip repaired by the same surgeon (Dr. Bryan Kelly). Demko also found reassurance talking to fellow Californian Eric Comrie, who was picked in the second round (No. 59) by the Winnipeg Jets at the 2013 draft after having his hips repaired earlier that season.

Watching Comrie fly around the ice at a goaltending camp in Kelowna, British Columbia this week, there were no signs of lingering problems. Comrie has always maintained he's stronger, faster and more flexible since the surgery.

"The big thing is to understand how much better you are going to feel after, and I just talked to him about the amount of flexibility and range you are going to gain and how much better you feel coming out of surgery. Just knowing that is huge," said Comrie, who had an impingement but no tearing before choosing preventative surgery. "You get so much more range of motion and flexibility."

The idea of Demko taking another step has to be exciting for the Canucks. He improved his save percentage from .919 as a freshman at Boston College to .925 last season having limited flexibility and mobility. Since first feeling the pinch in his hip while in the USHL at age 15 and being diagnosed and eventually needing surgery at 16, Demko won a silver medal at the 2012 World under-17 Hockey Challenge and 2013 IIHF World Under-18 Championships. He was the backup goaltender for the United States at the 2014 World Junior Championship and the starter last year, finishing with a .938 save percentage despite having his hip lock up on him.

"Against Canada after the second period, I was in the locker room and I was just a stone wall," said Demko, who had the knee area of his pads built up last season to ease the stress on his hip by keeping his knee higher off the ice. "I couldn't move at all."

Demko said he tore his hamstring during his freshman season because his body was compensating for the hip injury, but he now won't need to tweak his equipment, his playing style or his body to move around on the ice. Some of the hitches and lateral delays that were evident in his movement at last summer’s development camp should be smoothed out as his hip mobility improves.

The Canucks hope Demko might turn professional after one more season at Boston College, and there are a lot of positives and intriguing possibilities that come with finally being fully healthy.

No wonder Demko was so excited, rather than apprehensive, about hip surgery.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:30 am

Hanifin signs

ugh

edited:

updated roster:
SR:
Doherty
Matheson signed 4/1
Jeke
Silk
McMullen

JR:
Calnan
Cangelosi
Demko
Fitz
Gaudreau
Gilmour
McCoshen
Santini
Savage

SO:
Hanifin signed 7/11
Sanford
Tuch

FR:
Birdsall
Bracco
Brown
Couturier
Dudek
Fitz
Shero
White
Wood

And by position (roughly a depth chart...)

F
Tuch
Fitz (older)
Gilmour
Sanford
Calnan
Cangelosi
Gaudreau
Silk (concussion?)
McMullen

FR:
Wood