2016 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2016 Recruiting Thread

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 22, 2015 8:33 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i still dont understand why we havent blown up alumni & conte, built a new basketball arena there and an indoor practice facility for hockey and football, then fill in the reservoir and put a new alumni with 90k+ seats on that land. seems like an easy solution to the problem in my opinion

Yeah but then where does our sailing and mock naval battle teams practice?
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:13 am

StratEagle {l Wrote}:Ok, Duke invests more in recruiting for mens athletics than any other ACC school. Sure, most of that is probably for basketball, but you can see how they have committed resources to football with just a small taste of success.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2335595-which-college-football-teams-spend-the-most-and-least-on-recruiting

Did you scroll to the bottom of that article where it lists Duke as the #1 loser from a return of investment perspective? It means that Duke's dumping of money into recruiting has not moved the needle on its success. Essentially, it is pointing out that blindly spending money does not a successful program make.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:15 am

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:...major upgrades to their stadium...

and these major upgrades to their stadium will still leave it less in capacity, amenities and overall "football feel" than alumni.

have you even been to a dook football game? have you ever seen what they are starting with? moj's analogy of the upgrades to alumni in 1994/1995 are not far off

No, I have been to Duke, but not for a football game. Maybe the stadium will suck when it's done, but I mean obviously recruits are liking what they are seeing....

https://rivals.yahoo.com/duke/football/recruiting/commitments/

You are making the assumption that all these kids committed to Duke because they were impressed with the stadium expansion. I'd argue that none of those kids committed to Duke because of their recent investment in football facilities.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:41 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:i still dont understand why we havent blown up alumni & conte, built a new basketball arena there and an indoor practice facility for hockey and football, then fill in the reservoir and put a new alumni with 90k+ seats on that land. seems like an easy solution to the problem in my opinion

Good point. I think it would be better to build a teleportation machine that links with Foxboro such that the Pats facilities could be consider on-campus.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:01 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Good point. I think it would be better to build a teleportation machine that links with Foxboro such that the Pats facilities could be consider on-campus.

why wouldn't the fucking nerds just disapparate there? this isn't captain kirk, moj... nerdnology's expanded
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:01 am

I hate when HJS makes sense. World seems unstable.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby StratEagle on Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:56 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:

and these major upgrades to their stadium will still leave it less in capacity, amenities and overall "football feel" than alumni.

have you even been to a dook football game? have you ever seen what they are starting with? moj's analogy of the upgrades to alumni in 1994/1995 are not far off

No, I have been to Duke, but not for a football game. Maybe the stadium will suck when it's done, but I mean obviously recruits are liking what they are seeing....

You are making the assumption that all these kids committed to Duke because they were impressed with the stadium expansion. I'd argue that none of those kids committed to Duke because of their recent investment in football facilities.

Unless you believe Duke is no longer small time football( which would make this entire argument pointless), what exactly is the reason for the huge uptick in their recruiting success? That's a pretty damn good start for a class.
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:11 pm

Cutcliffe is a very good coach. He's also a good friend of GDF and a really devout Catholic. My guess is he never became a real candidate here because of his heart troubles and/or Gene knew he couldn't push him around. Once he retires, Duke Football will go back to being Duke Football.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:11 pm

StratEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:

Unless you believe Duke is no longer small time football( which would make this entire argument pointless), what exactly is the reason for the huge uptick in their recruiting success? That's a pretty damn good start for a class.

I'm just throwing this out there... but I have this crazy idea that it might have something to do with 19 wins over the past 2 seasons.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby StratEagle on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:21 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
StratEagle {l Wrote}:

I'm just throwing this out there... but I have this crazy idea that it might have something to do with 19 wins over the past 2 seasons.

Yeah, that's kind of why I included them in the original post I made which you thought was so hilarious....
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:24 pm

I just want to know if Duke's success is attributable to the wall it built around Durham
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:45 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I just want to know if Duke's success is attributable to the wall it built around Durham

the last thing duke wants to do is build any device that would make it in any way difficult for their students, teachers and administrators to get OUT of durham
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:49 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I just want to know if Duke's success is attributable to the wall it built around Durham

the last thing duke wants to do is build any device that would make it in any way difficult for their students, teachers and administrators to get OUT of durham

Clearly... Duke's success is based upon a group of players who were so impressed by Duke's invest in football that they committed 4 years before Duke even made that decision.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby StratEagle on Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:36 pm

We're talking about now, smartass. Duke has a current top 10 class, but according to you they are a joke. You say maybe thats due to their 19 wins in the past two years, which directly contradicts your Duke is a joke agenda. Pick a side
StratEagle
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 9:34 am

Let's slow the roll on the Duke has a top ten class 9 months from signing day nonsense.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:01 pm

Interesting article mentioning potential BC offer at QB, David Moore from GA ...

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2015/4/22/8447777/david-moore-quarterback-recruit

I personally think BC is in good shape with Anthony Brown from NJ (made his top 5 with cuse, temple, northwestern and wake who already has QB commit and NW is close to a commit at QB).

On the tight end front, Ray Marten (TE from Poly Prep in Brooklyn) recently got offer from Wake. Seems he could commit somewhere soon and in addition to BC and Wake has offers from Miami, Rutgers and Syracuse which are the only real competition. BC should be in good shape for Marten. ND and Penn State have apparently shown interest (altho I think PSU probably gets Dalton which could alleviate their need for Marten). Noah Davis from St. X in Cincy is visiting Michigan State this weekend for their spring game and could receive and offer as they have been in constant contact with him.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby NJM89 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:27 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Interesting article mentioning potential BC offer at QB, David Moore from GA ...

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2015/4/22/8447777/david-moore-quarterback-recruit

I personally think BC is in good shape with Anthony Brown from NJ (made his top 5 with cuse, temple, northwestern and wake who already has QB commit and NW is close to a commit at QB).

On the tight end front, Ray Marten (TE from Poly Prep in Brooklyn) recently got offer from Wake. Seems he could commit somewhere soon and in addition to BC and Wake has offers from Miami, Rutgers and Syracuse which are the only real competition. BC should be in good shape for Marten. ND and Penn State have apparently shown interest (altho I think PSU probably gets Dalton which could alleviate their need for Marten). Noah Davis from St. X in Cincy is visiting Michigan State this weekend for their spring game and could receive and offer as they have been in constant contact with him.

How is this not a violation with that Moore kid all three are SMU coaches.

@CoachCraddock: Picked up a big one today! Excited that we got our guy! Special player and even better young man. Great fit for #SMU #PonyUpTempo

@coacharchiemac: Ding, Ding, Ding!!!! The future is looking really bright with this QB under center!!!

@SMUCoachMalone: Ding! Ding! Ding! PonyupTempo just got faster!
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:45 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Interesting article mentioning potential BC offer at QB, David Moore from GA ...

How is this not a violation with that Moore kid all three are SMU coaches.

@CoachCraddock: Picked up a big one today! Excited that we got our guy! Special player and even better young man. Great fit for #SMU #PonyUpTempo

@coacharchiemac: Ding, Ding, Ding!!!! The future is looking really bright with this QB under center!!!

@SMUCoachMalone: Ding! Ding! Ding! PonyupTempo just got faster!

Probably because nobody mentioned his name specifically in the tweet. Kevin Sumlin does something similar to this at TAMU, whenever they get a commit he tweets "yessir" (I think ive seen certain BC coaches do it too in the past)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:47 pm

Yeah, Coach Wash does a #DreamChasers thing and counts up the # that have joined the class...or at least he used to
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:33 pm

Lucas Niang (OL from New Cannan, CT) added offers from Kentucky, Virginia, Miami and Pitt since picking up his BC offer.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:31 pm

Bunch of offers out last few days ...

Brandon Simon (6'1 240lb) DE from Don Bosco Prep in NJ. Rivals shows a number of big schools with interest, but only offers from Army and BC
Jesse Brown (5'10 185lb) RB from Brookwood HS in Snellville GA. Offers from BC, Iowa, NCSU and a few smaller schools
Tremayne Anchrum (6'3 270lb) OL from McEachern HS in Powder Springs, GA. Offers from BC, UGA, Cuse, KState, Nebraska, Wake, ASU
Cameron Goode ( 6'2 190lb) OLB from Klein Collins HS in Spring, TX. Offers from BC, Cal, Kansas and La-Lafayette
Jamar Watson (6'3 220lb) LB/S from Bishop McManara in MD. Offers from BC and Kentucky
Tyquan Statham (6'2 200lb) RB/LB from West Hall HS in Oakwood, GA. Offers from BC, Iowa, UCF, Duke, Cincy, NCSU, UVA, Wake
Travis Whillock (6'1 185lb) Safety from Katy, TX. Offers from BC, Kansas, Northwestern
Collin Wilder (5'11 175lb) Safety from Katy, TX. Offers from BC, Duke Northwestern and Texas Tech (decommited from TT)

Not 2016, but also offered ...

Owen Pappoe (6'1 194lb) LB from Grayson HS in Loganville, GA. He is a 2018 (8th grade) and BC is his first offer Auburn, UGA, Florida, LSU, tOSU, Tenn Oregon showing interest
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:50 pm

Noah Davis offered by Michigan State. Will probably be BC's biggest competition for him
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:55 am

The New Jersey "The Opening" camp is going on this today. Bunch of BC targets involved ...

- Anthony Brown (4* QB from NJ) to visit BC this Wednesday per 247. BC believed to be leader at this point, could commit on visit

- Lucas Niang (OL from CT) claims he wants to "get away" for college. High on BC, PSU, Kentucky and Miami. Addazio very close to New Canaan program

- Recent BC offer Brandon Simon (DE from Bosco in NJ) competing. Recently won MVP from TGOSB at the NJ rivals camp

- BC target Jay Rose (Southington, CT) competing this weekend. Not sure where his recruitment stands and what position BC is targeting him at (originally offered as TE but rumored to have been offered by BC at QB as well). Rose is very high on BC, and may lead, but his recruitment may pivot if Anthony Brown commits this week

- BC target KJ Gray (WR from St. Peters Prep in Jersey) is competing. BC and Rutgers are probably leaders. Cuse has also offered, no other big names of note.

- Scooter Harrington is competing

- Quansah competing, Duke leads, BC among favorites

Some 2017's competing with BC ties ...

- 2017 QB Kasim Hill (from Gilman in Baltimore) says BC, MSU and Cuse lead. Very early in recruitment

- 2017 Mass RB AJ Dillon (Lawrence Academy) lists BC as early favorite. Very early, but 247 lists him as 4* and top 150 player in country

- 2017 Mass LB Blake Gallagher (St. Sebs; same school as Strachan) holds offers from BC, Maryland, Duke and Nebraska. 247 lists as top 250 in country and #10 ILB in country
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby ILikeBC on Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:33 pm

Noah Davis to MSU
ILikeBC
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:09 pm

ILikeBC {l Wrote}:Noah Davis to MSU

Fair to say recruiting is off to an ugly start?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:21 pm

Losing Davis sucks, but it's a position Addazio has used as an extra OL for the most part, which is why we shouldn't get worked up over Dalton either. Ray Marten from Poly Prep in Brooklyn is prob the next target to go aside Harrington and Jay Rose from CT assuming he isn't fixated on playing QB in college is another one to watch. Luke Farrell from Ohio is prob a long shot with tOSU in the mix
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby QuailMan on Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:54 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

No, we will start getting under the radar guys (who were actually Daz's plan A targets all along)
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:12 am

Are we still recruiting TEs ferchrissakes? Are we freaking out because we lost one? Just needed an update.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:28 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I too have had the feeling that this is a slow start to the recruiting class. While the quality has certainly been there, it seems things have stalled (almost as if it was set off with the Dalton decommitment).

So... I went back and looked at the 2 previous Dazoo classes. Last year (not including Palazzo's Dec '13 verbal or Allen's Feb flip), the commits were pretty concentrated. We started in March with 4 (Lindstrom 3/16, Denis 3/20, Phillips 3/27, Monteiro 3/29) and continued with 4 more in April (Gowins 4/4, Burt 4/8, Glines 4/26, Knopfke 4/28). We didn't get any commits in May but tore up June (12 verbals) and ended the class with Smith and Ray before the 4th of July.The 2014 class had a slower start where we landed Outlow at the end of Feb and Yiadom at the end of March. Then things started to pickup with 5 April verbals (Landry, Wade, Smith, Baker and Cohee). 4 more committed in May (Lezzer, Strachan, Seward and Hendren). We then hit our seemingly normal June camp explosion with 8 commits (and end the class with roughly a pickup per month).

Bottom line... this is the first April under Daz where we didn't land a verbal (otherwise have averaged 4.5). Perhaps more troubling is that our April commits have tended to be some of the better prospects in each class. At this point last year, we were sitting at 9 commits (and we had 7 the year before). Furthermore, last year's missed May was the longest stretch between commits under Daz during the early recruiting season. With no one seemingly close to committing, the current dry spell looks to set a new mark (this Friday ties last year's drought).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:24 am

I see this year is going to be a "not closing early enough" year as opposed to a "closing too early on camp kids" year.

They have some very good recruits. In a class that they can afford to be picky early. They lost one good player that will end up flipping to a good football school. That happened weeks ago.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium