NHL Gamecenter and the playoffs

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

NHL Gamecenter and the playoffs

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:33 am

So I don't have cable anymore, but instead rely on the Roku and an HDTV antenna. Anyhow, I subscribed to NHL Gamecenter this year and its been fantastic in that I live in Boston but am a Rangers fan, so I've seen a lot of the season (also have watched quite a few Calgary games).

Am curious if anyone with experience with Gamecenter knows what I can expect for the playoffs. I think the agreement is "you can watch any game not available via broadcast in your area." So any Bruins game (NESN), any game on the NHL Network, or anything on NBC Sports wasn't available this year. Are all playoff games "nationally televised?"

I need to figure out how much time I can reasonably spend at the bar this next month in the name of hockey.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Re: NHL Gamecenter and the playoffs

Postby bchockey04 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:53 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:So I don't have cable anymore, but instead rely on the Roku and an HDTV antenna. Anyhow, I subscribed to NHL Gamecenter this year and its been fantastic in that I live in Boston but am a Rangers fan, so I've seen a lot of the season (also have watched quite a few Calgary games).

Am curious if anyone with experience with Gamecenter knows what I can expect for the playoffs. I think the agreement is "you can watch any game not available via broadcast in your area." So any Bruins game (NESN), any game on the NHL Network, or anything on NBC Sports wasn't available this year. Are all playoff games "nationally televised?"

I need to figure out how much time I can reasonably spend at the bar this next month in the name of hockey.

From the NHL website:

In the United States all Stanley Cup Playoffs and Stanley Cup Final games will be nationally televised. NHLN and NBC/NBC Sports pick up every game thanks to the local broadcasts.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:00 am

Crap.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:17 am

yeah in the same scenario and it's an awesome product, have it on the ipad & the xbox

i think for playoffs you're going to need to head to the bar nightly, beileve they blackout the video and all you get is the rdio feed
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:49 pm

Ad-free time is your friend.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:42 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:Ad-free time is your friend.

I'm reading about it and it looks like the main use of this is to get servers to think you are in the US. How can I use this to make them think I'm not in the US/Canada for Gamecenter?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:50 am

I get using the Interwebs and phone apps for TV - god bless Chromecast, Watch ESPN and HBO Go - but I don't get cutting cable entirely. Is it just a cost thing?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:57 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I get using the Interwebs and phone apps for TV - god bless Chromecast, Watch ESPN and HBO Go - but I don't get cutting cable entirely. Is it just a cost thing?

We just weren't using it. We have a relative's ESPN login so we can watch anything on ESPN, have an antenna for the major networks, which covers a good chunk of the sports stuff, and since I like hockey, I subscribed to NHL Gamecenter.

We live a block from a bar, so anything that is really important can be viewed there. I've caught a few BC hockey games there, for instance.

On the non-sports front, I don't really have a need to watch shows as they come out, so whatever is on Netflix or Amazon Prime is good enough.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:10 am

That makes sense. I guess if you are patient enough for the non premium, non network stuff like Breaking Bad to come out on Netflix or Amazon, it works just fine. I'd feel like I was missing stuff without the DVR, and I know I would get backlogged with 80 things on my Netflix. Working through their original programming is hard enough.

I guess I am just locked in to what I am used to, and lazy. Would love to tell Comcast to fuck off.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:30 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I guess I am just locked in to what I am used to, and lazy. Would love to tell Comcast to fuck off.

Yup. We took the opportunity of a recent move to make the change to our service. Without it, we'd still have our cable
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:41 am

does watchespn / espn3 / whatever they call that not live stream games on espn? if so that would be a reason for me not to cut the cord

i've long debated it as i can get mets & rangers via mlbtv & nhl gamecenter and like you i don't care about seeing other shows as they break
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:55 am

I think all espns, including 3, are on Watch espn. But I need a cable login to use Watch ESPN. It hasn't followed HBO Go yet - it would cripple the cable companies if it did.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:56 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:does watchespn / espn3 / whatever they call that not live stream games on espn? if so that would be a reason for me not to cut the cord

i've long debated it as i can get mets & rangers via mlbtv & nhl gamecenter and like you i don't care about seeing other shows as they break

No, you get the ESPN suite of channels live on WatchESPN as well. The issue is you have to know someone who will give you their password. If you have non-internet savvy parents, for instance.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:07 am

interesting, i think my @bc.edu email is still the one connected and in the past they gave it to students for free, might be worth checking out. thanks
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:24 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:Ad-free time is your friend.

AnD now I have a solution to games blacked out in my area. Remarkably easy to do. Thanks shock.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby shockdoct on Sun Apr 19, 2015 1:29 pm

Personally I find the nhl gamecenter black out policy obnoxious. I will absolutely acknowledge the local market exclusivity and to a lesser degree the NBCSN broadcasts. The nationwide black out when they are simply broadcasting a re-transmission of a local affiliate feed on the NHL network is ridiculous (with absolutely no production added).

When I lived in New York as a Bruins fan, I was unable to watch half the games on the service after the devils, islanders, rangers, nbcsn, nbc, and nhl network black outs. That's when I found ad-free time.

Btw if you sign up for nhl gamecenter using the ad-free time dns, you also get the international rate ($99).
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Re: NHL playoffs

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:33 pm

How did the Senators make the playoffs? Besides Carlson, they are garbage.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:13 am

an AHL goalie went on an insane run for about 6 weeks? :shrug

johnny got drilled from behind into the boards late in the game by burrows who got tossed for the hit
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:29 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:How did the Senators make the playoffs? Besides Carlson, they are garbage.

Andrew Hammond and the most ridiculous stretch of 20-2-1, 1.79 gaa goaltending you will ever see.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:How did the Senators make the playoffs? Besides Carlson, they are garbage.

Andrew Hammond and the most ridiculous stretch of 20-2-1, 1.79 gaa goaltending you will ever see.

They should go full goon tonight. Hopefully someone will injure PK.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 06, 2015 7:43 am

missed the calgary game but sounded great
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed May 06, 2015 8:05 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:missed the calgary game but sounded great

Really fun 3rd period. Plus Gaudreau with an absolute snipe to tie it up.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 06, 2015 8:15 am

Still not sure how that was not ruled a goal.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed May 06, 2015 8:28 am

agreed 100%

the overhead view you couldn't see it but on the 45 degree angle shot you could see white between the puck and the goal line
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed May 06, 2015 8:38 am

Wow cant believe Calgary won! I only watched the 1st period but it was like watching an NHL team vs a college team.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed May 06, 2015 9:17 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Wow cant believe Calgary won! I only watched the 1st period but it was like watching an NHL team vs a college team.

Yeah, I don't think Calgary really has much of a shot in this series, but they're kind of in bonus territory for their season anyhow. They're not a cup contender as built right now. Anaheim is.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Wed May 06, 2015 10:45 am

Obviously i'm biased in this...but i'd love to see the Capitals vs. Boudreau in the final.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 08, 2015 9:29 pm

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri May 08, 2015 9:59 pm

Technically a Monahan goal (sick hair bro!) but holy hell that was nice.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Mon May 11, 2015 9:23 am

And the Ducks prove too much for the Flames, but Gaudreau does get another snipe in before its over. 9 goals in 11 games as a 140 lb rookie in his first playoffs not bad.

Flames were fun this year, fiesty group. And I had no idea that Sean Monahan was this good (he was just a name on the rookie scoring lists to me last year). It will be interesting to see if they buy their own hype and take the Avs approach that blew up in their faces this year, or if they keep trying to build around the young guys they have for a real run 2-3 years from now.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Next

Return to Kelley Rink