ND

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

ND

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:16 am

Huge games to end the RS.

1 point locks up a bye in the first round, still an outside chance at the RS title.

Both games are on NBC Sports, but ND will still complain about not benefitting from the NESN deal.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: ND

Postby claver2010 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:19 am

nice article on noah

he's really taken off in the new year, probably been our best defenseman since january (either him or mccoshen imo)

he's starting to log a ton of minutes as well

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/2015- ... ge-beauty/

BOSTON – The Beanpot tournament is a bit of a big deal in Boston. Pitting the four NCAA schools in the city against each other over two weekends, the showdown features blood rivals Harvard, Northeastern, Boston College and Boston University. Defenseman Noah Hanifin grew up around the tourney, so he was amped to play in it this year and helped Boston College win third place after an opening round loss to Northeastern.

“I pretty much went every year since I was five years old,” Hanifin said. “To be able to play in it this year and experience it was unbelievable even though we didn’t get the outcome we wanted.”

Like fellow 2015 NHL draft phenoms Connor McDavid and Jack Eichel (a friend of Hanifin’s), it’s not hard to run out of superlatives when talking about the gifted Hanifin.

Simply put, he’s playing way beyond his years and has done so as one of the youngest players in all of college hockey, turning 18 just one month ago.

“He’s a young player who is showing maturity and has been improving as the season goes on,” said legendary Boston College coach Jerry York. “Very, very coachable, just a good guy. There are no airs about him.”

In a 3-2 overtime win over Harvard, Hanifin played on both special teams units, logged heavy minutes and often played against the most dangerous Crimson players, such as Nashville Predators prospect Jimmy Vesey and Tampa Bay pick Brian Hart. As per his scouting report, Hanifin did so with poise, using his big frame and slick skating ability to manage the game. While he played with different partners, you could tell NHL picks such as Ian McCoshen and Michael Matheson (both Florida Panthers picks) already have iron-clad trust in the kid, as they would take chances knowing Hanifin had their back.

And learning from those older players has been great for Hanifin, too.

“It’s kind of an everyday thing,” he said. “It’s their work ethic; me being a younger guy it’s good to look up to them. Being able to work with them, battle with them, study film with them – it’s a pleasure every day.”

Right now, Hanifin appears to be a lock to go third overall in the draft and he has already racked up some great experiences this season. He was a member of Team USA’s world junior squad on a very young defense corps that also featured 2015 draft prospects Brandon Carlo of WHL Tri-City and the University of Michigan’s Zach Werenski.

Sure, the Americans got wiped out in the quarterfinal by Russia in a game that featured too many needless penalties taken by the U.S., but Hanifin took a lot away from his games in Montreal.

“Since the world juniors I picked it up a little bit,” he said. “The world juniors was definitely a higher level skill-wise. So when I came back here, I’ve been better. Now I’m pretty settled in.”

Being as highly acclaimed as he has been for the past few years, Hanifin’s services were in high demand as he climbed the ranks. He played for the U.S. National Team Development Program before college, but also had his rights drafted by major junior’s Quebec Remparts.

But for a boy who grew up on the Beanpot and the schools that play in it, Boston College has been a dream come true, both on and off the ice.

“That’s why I really wanted to go the college route,” Hanifin said. “I really take pride in being a well-rounded kid and the school aspect has been great. It’s tough, but I love it here.”

With his skill set, size and calmness, Hanifin could probably play in the NHL next year. But if he wanted to win the Beanpot next season, the Eagles would undoubtedly be more than OK with that.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:43 am

So using the CHN tool, a sweep or a split keeps us at 9 PWR (with nothing else going on around us), being swept knocks us down to 14. So probably want a game.

I think one ND has a losing record at home this year, too. One thing that came up when they were talking about how unfair it is that they have to actually travel to play in the HE.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:14 pm

Image nice win. bu loss means still a chance for the RS title
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Real Priapus on Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:22 pm

The incessant NHL development talk makes college hockey almost unwatchable. They have ruined what was once the best college sport, talking how its a good thing if a kid like Tuch quits school after one year to play NHL. If the players were poor and black there would be outrage. But because they're white and from Catholic or ISL schools or towns like Norwood or Hingham its fine.
Real Priapus
n00b

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:49 am

some more thoughts from last night

hanifin has really taken off this last month, has also been logging some serious minutes these past couple of games.
thought mccoshen had his best game in a month last night
really wish they would take calnan away from sit & smith, those 3 get pinned deep way too much; actually think spiro / gaudreau / doherty has looked better of late.

bc can still fall to 4 but clinched a 1st round bye, huge difference between a 1-2 and a 3-4 seed for the QF
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 10:41 am

Real Priapus {l Wrote}:The incessant NHL development talk makes college hockey almost unwatchable. They have ruined what was once the best college sport, talking how its a good thing if a kid like Tuch quits school after one year to play NHL. If the players were poor and black there would be outrage. But because they're white and from Catholic or ISL schools or towns like Norwood or Hingham its fine.

missed this agenda
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:10 am

Team played like it has to to do well -

D and Demko were solid. Scoring from the freshman/sophomores and energy from the upperclassmen (lines 3 and 4).

Really hope one of Silk or Linnell can come back after the 2 week break so we can shift Doherty back to D. Also wouldn't be surprised to hear that Demko could use the rest. Do you think they will start him again tonight?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby Real Priapus on Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:31 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Real Priapus {l Wrote}:The incessant NHL development talk makes college hockey almost unwatchable. They have ruined what was once the best college sport, talking how its a good thing if a kid like Tuch quits school after one year to play NHL. If the players were poor and black there would be outrage. But because they're white and from Catholic or ISL schools or towns like Norwood or Hingham its fine.

missed this agenda

Love the way you engage with the argument I advanced. Keep it up.
Real Priapus
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:38 pm

Those green uniforms should be banned
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:42 pm

Mattheson might be our best winger
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:38 am

Played well just couldn't get it past their goalie.

More often than not get 56 shots on net, they'll be fine. Even the Sit/Smith/Calnan line provided 7 shots.

Point of concern is the powerplay looks terrible right now.

I wouldn't be holding my breath on Silk coming back, apparently he's really struggling w the concussion issues.

If everything holds, they'll be playing NU again in 2 weeks.

edit: nu, wow coffee clearly hadn't kicked in
Last edited by claver2010 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Eaglekeeper on Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:41 pm

BC will get NU in 2 weeks. I think it is a better match up than getting UVM. I thought BC struggled physically with UVM. I like the possible game against PC in the semi. ND could beat UML and BU and then lose to BC!

I agree with swapping Calnan with Straight. I'm not worried about getting Silk back with the progress Gaudreau, Doherty and Spiro are making. Also, it gives more ice time for 5 very good dmen.
Eaglekeeper
Campion Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:03 pm

There is some high quality whalepantsin' in the USCHO Notre Dame season thread:

Jeff_Jackson_For_Prez. {l Wrote}:So I have reached a life changing decision. I will no longer renew my season ticket package for Notre Dame hockey. My sister did not renew her season tickets beginning 2 seasons ago. I bet my brother will not renew either since I am not. For the first time in nearly 40 years, there will not be a season ticket holder with the last name of Wood at Notre Dame hockey games. The final nail in the coffin, you ask? Apparently, some people around us were "offended" (to use the usher's admonishing verbiage) by our complaints about the product on the ice.

You want to know what I am offended by? In no particular order, I am offended by:

1. the fact that the last piece to the puzzle for a national championship was this palace; yet we are further away from said trophy than when we played in a dump.
2. the sterile, impersonal quality of aforementioned palace. I become hooked on Notre Dame hockey, in part, because the players were so accessible. I was a 12 year-old season ticket holder who had the biggest crush on John Schmidt and he took the time (quite often) to stop and talk with me after games, at practices, even after he graduated when I saw him in Indy that summer. What 12 year-old can do that now? Just hang out with a player?
3. the separation of parents and fans. I remember from my earliest games getting to know the families of the players. Hell, I babysat Dave Poulin's kid brother when his family would take Dave out after games. His brother and I would hang out at the hotel, play video games and fall asleep. I won't even go into the relationship I formed with the Regan's. Or the White's. Or the Van Guilder's.
4. the fact that it took 2 years of complaining before someone finally listened and turned down the volume of the canned music.
5. the secondary reason for the CFIA apparently. Hockey is not the main focus anymore. It's salute a vet (even the ones they have to ship in because they've run out of Indiana vets). It's the Meijer sign extravaganza. It's the hyperactive fan of the game. It's the shrill weather girls explaining (every weekend) shufflepuck. It's autographs with Miss Indiana.
6. the fact that no one listens when I ask why the program doesn't also salute other heroes. You know, the ones NOT in uniform. Like, say, nurses, firefighters, Hospice volunteers, or others who read to the blind, deliver books to shut-ins or mentor elementary school kids. Is the university so terrified of appearing unpatriotic if they don't constantly genuflect to the military?
7. those people around me who think it is perfectly acceptable to allow their children to scream at the top of their lungs when the jumbotron implores everyone to "Get loud." No, it is not cute.
8. the loss of old rivalries because the administration is embarrassed that Notre Dame is in Indiana and wants desperately to relocate (if in their minds only) to the East Coast.
9. related to #8, the fact that our OOC schedule blows. Where's North Dakota? Where's Michigan State? Where's Denver? Where's Michigan? Bowling Green? Penn State? Yale? Quinnipiac?
10. the fact that I spend hundreds and hundreds of my hard-earned dollars and unless I am sunshine and roses, I should keep my mouth shut. Those who know me know one certain thing: Never tell Mary Catherine to shut her mouth.

I wish the hockey players nothing but great success, both here and in their futures, regardless of whether hockey is a part of that future. I'll save my money and watch the games from the comfort of my couch where if I don't sit on my hands or politely golf-clap, no one will chastise m
e.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:44 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:There is some high quality whalepantsin' in the USCHO Notre Dame season thread:

Jeff_Jackson_For_Prez. {l Wrote}:2. the sterile, impersonal quality of aforementioned palace. I become hooked on Notre Dame hockey, in part, because the players were so accessible. I was a 12 year-old season ticket holder who had the biggest crush on John Schmidt and he took the time (quite often) to stop and talk with me after games, at practices, even after he graduated when I saw him in Indy that summer. What 12 year-old can do that now? Just hang out with a player?
3. the separation of parents and fans. I remember from my earliest games getting to know the families of the players. Hell, I babysat Dave Poulin's kid brother when his family would take Dave out after games. His brother and I would hang out at the hotel, play video games and fall asleep. I won't even go into the relationship I formed with the Regan's. Or the White's. Or the Van Guilder's.

whoah

chris hansen would like a word with you
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:15 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:There is some high quality whalepantsin' in the USCHO Notre Dame season thread:

Jeff_Jackson_For_Prez. {l Wrote}:2. the sterile, impersonal quality of aforementioned palace. I become hooked on Notre Dame hockey, in part, because the players were so accessible. I was a 12 year-old season ticket holder who had the biggest crush on John Schmidt and he took the time (quite often) to stop and talk with me after games, at practices, even after he graduated when I saw him in Indy that summer. What 12 year-old can do that now? Just hang out with a player?

whoah

chris hansen would like a word with you

that would be funny only when jeff_jackson_for_prez told hansen to shut up
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Return to Kelley Rink