OT: Boxing

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

OT: Boxing

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:14 am

I grew up a big boxing fan and have watched the sport pretty much disintegrate under corruption and the weight of Brandon King's grandfather. The heavyweight division, in particular, has been an epic trainwreck. Recently, however, there are signs of it coming back from the brink. NBC is going to start televising fights again. And, the ranks are starting to get a modicum of talent (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing-s-h ... 26514.html).

Which brings us to this Saturday. The easiest and quickest fix to boxing heavyweight division is a kid from Tuscaloosa (Deontay Wilder). He is an incredible physical specimen... an elite athlete. However, there is a huge question as to what kind of boxer he is. Is previous lineup of 32 tomato cans have never lasted more than a few minutes. And, during those fights, all Wilder has done was land wild haymakers.

He fights for the WBC title against Stiverne live on Showtime this weekend. Stiverne is a good-not-great fighter (but probably the second best guy out there behind Klitchko). He is a great test for Wilder, as he is the polar opposite of the talentless opponents he has faced to date. If Wilder tries nonsense like telegraphing his roundhouses, he will get tagged... and tagged hard. Ultimately, Wilder will actually have to (a) box and (b) take a punch. If he is able to do both... win or lose... he will reinvigorate the sport and will likely be the next boxing superstar. If he gets his shit handed to him, you won't hear about him again until he tries to walk-on some NFL roster as a TE/DE.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: OT: Boxing

Postby commavegarage on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:23 am

I feel like comoodore64 somehow posted through HJS's handle
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:59 am

I didn't know what to say for one of the few times in my life.

That said, I like boxing, do you like boxing?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:37 am

Mods: please move this thread to the boxing board.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:42 am

I want to like boxing, but unfortunately the boxing promoters and the boxing federations ruin it.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:26 pm

Bryn Mawr Eagle {l Wrote}:Mods: please move this thread to the boxing board.

just to be clear, you mean the boathouse right?

that's the only place on this site where i know there is box (no offense, deandra)
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:02 pm

I like boxing and will watch a random fight if one is on, but lack of a unifying body makes it difficult to follow the sport as a fan.

Heavyweights get the glory and the press, but I prefer the welterweight and middleweight classes where the fighters have the stamina to punch through 12 rounds while still having KO power.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:04 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I like boxing and will watch a random fight if one is on, but lack of a unifying body makes it difficult to follow the sport as a fan.

Heavyweights get the glory and the press, but I prefer the welterweight and middleweight classes where the fighters have the stamina to punch through 12 rounds while still having KO power.

so you like don flamenco?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:09 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I like boxing and will watch a random fight if one is on, but lack of a unifying body makes it difficult to follow the sport as a fan.

Yes, but that was because he had a rose in his mouth.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:11 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

Yes, but that was because he had a rose in his mouth.

stem and all? well, that makes sense knowing your proclivities
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:48 pm

i like boxing, not fond of the boxing promoter crap.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:56 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:i like boxing, not fond of the boxing promoter crap.

They killed the sport. In that boxing heavyweight division isn't really a thing anymore. It is now trying to rise like a phoenix from the ashes. This Saturday night fight has a bit of the Roy Jones Jr. - James Toney feel to it. Before that fight, Jones Jr. was untested and seemed too good to be true. After that fight, he propelled those middleweight divisions to new heights. The heavyweight division is in a much worse place now than the middleweight was then, but... a freak American (who is charismatic and talks a real good game) can rehab the sport pretty much on his own. That said, while I was confident that Roy Jones Jr. was the real deal back in 1994, I don't have the same confidence in Wilder (who is being trained by some random who owns a Bama gym).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby h2o on Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:48 pm

I lost interest in boxing when Marvin retired. Has Ron Borges been tested for brain damage?
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:05 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Hopefully Hansen can take a lessen from George Foreman and turn his heartbreak into a positive force

"The loss broke something in Foreman, hurling him in a deep depression that eventually landed him in Toronto fighting five tomato cans he outweighed by 30-40 pounds back to back in front of jeering fans"

http://deadspin.com/the-night-a-heartbroken-george-foreman-boxed-five-men-i-1680038703

Before he was a cute and cuddly grill maker, George Foreman was a real bad dude. Weird to hear Ali bragging about how he laid on the ropes the first time and would do it again in the second fight, as Foreman is pretty much the prime reason Ali has Parkinson's.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby h2o on Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:35 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Hopefully Hansen can take a lessen from George Foreman and turn his heartbreak into a positive force

"The loss broke something in Foreman, hurling him in a deep depression that eventually landed him in Toronto fighting five tomato cans he outweighed by 30-40 pounds back to back in front of jeering fans"

http://deadspin.com/the-night-a-heartbroken-george-foreman-boxed-five-men-i-1680038703

Before he was a cute and cuddly grill maker, George Foreman was a real bad dude. Weird to hear Ali bragging about how he laid on the ropes the first time and would do it again in the second fight, as Foreman is pretty much the prime reason Ali has Parkinson's.

Those fights are great

Not as great as the Hagler vs Antuorfurmo or Hagler vs Hearns fights. I agree with above that the lighter weight fights are way better than the heavyweights.

h2o
Campion Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:48 am

BUConvict used to like boxing. RIP in peace.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby QuailMan on Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:43 pm

Where can I find an excellent (A+) stream for this?
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:40 pm

QuailMan {l Wrote}:Where can I find an excellent (A+) stream for this?

It's not pay-per-view. It's just on Showtime. If you can't get Showtime, I'm sure Justin can help you out.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:48 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:BUConvict used to like boxing. RIP in peace.

The number of excellent, regular posters this place has lost is more than places like WHI (WomensHockeyInterruption) ever had.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:35 am

Entering the 11th Round... the kid from Bama is way too thin. 6'7", 219 lbs. Real sloppy technique. Leaves himself open ALL THE TIME. That said, Stiverne has been nothing but a punching bag. Eating jabs all throughout. Took a bunch of hard right crosses but has kept upright. Really... at this point, Stiverne has just been looking for a knockout on a counterattack.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby QuailMan on Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:47 am

I had it 117-111
QuailMan
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:00 am

Well... they will make a big deal about Wilder winning. But... Wilder has a long way to go.

Much better boxer than I thought he'd be. Really good jab. Smart fighter in that he did not get sucked in. Nice footwork and moved nicely around the ring (ultimately controlled the ring with his jab). But, against a better fighter, he'd probably been forced to stand more toe-to-toe. Wilder did get tagged a few times and didn't get into trouble. Excellently conditioned athlete. Heck... the guy didn't have a scratch anywhere on him and looked like he could "jog" a quarter mile faster than hansen. All that said, he's built too much like a basketball player. He really needs to get bigger. A guy like Klitchko (who matches his height and has boxing and power) would crush him.

Wilder is essentially a taller, better conditioned, much lighter Lennox Lewis.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:14 am

QuailMan {l Wrote}:I had it 117-111

Stiverne's head is either made of cement or he just did serious damage to whatever brain he had left.

BTW, for you lighterweight fans... the most impressive fighter tonight Amir Iman (who is a 23-year-old junior welterweight from Albany). At 5'10", he can easily gain weight. He has all the hallmarks to be a potential successor to Mayweather. I say all that even though he got knocked down for the first time in his career (though dropped his opponent 4 times).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:54 am

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:36 am

I actually was really impressed with Wilder. Stiverne could take a punch and was searching for the counter all night. Wilder can box. Breeland taught him well.

Plus, he's hilarious and charismatic. Going to be a great champion.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:10 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I actually was really impressed with Wilder. Stiverne could take a punch and was searching for the counter all night. Wilder can box. Breeland taught him well.

Generally agreed. I still think he is too sloppy and would killed by former champs like Lewis, Holyfield, and the like. That said, not much can compete with him in the current ranks. Thought Stiverne was a bad matchup for him (because of his power and chin) and he still dominated. It's basically Klitchko, Wilder and Jennings. With Klitchko nearing retirement age and with Wilder's charisma, it would be great for the sport if Jennings could step it up a bit so you would have Americans 1 and 2.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I actually was really impressed with Wilder. Stiverne could take a punch and was searching for the counter all night. Wilder can box. Breeland taught him well.

Generally agreed. I still think he is too sloppy and would killed by former champs like Lewis, Holyfield, and the like. That said, not much can compete with him in the current ranks. Thought Stiverne was a bad matchup for him (because of his power and chin) and he still dominated. It's basically Klitchko, Wilder and Jennings. With Klitchko nearing retirement age and with Wilder's charisma, it would be great for the sport if Jennings could step it up a bit so you would have Americans 1 and 2.

Frankly that nasty jab is one of the best since Foreman. And when he brings the straight right behind it, he does some damage without exposing himself. His other punches are a little wild, yes, but that jab/straight right combo won him the fight by the 6th or so.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:58 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Frankly that nasty jab is one of the best since Foreman. And when he brings the straight right behind it, he does some damage without exposing himself. His other punches are a little wild, yes, but that jab/straight right combo won him the fight by the 6th or so.

Agreed. But it's his hooks and uppercuts (both of which he'd need against elite competition) that leave him wide open. Further, he never works the body (has landed something like 10 body shots combined through the course of his 33 fights).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:38 pm

Just keep Wilder away from Wlad Klitchko and he'll be fine.

With the decay in interest in boxing over the last decade it's gone relatively unnoticed, but Klitchko is legitimately one of the 10 best heavyweights of all time. To borrow a cliched Rocky line, he'd kill Wilder to death inside of 3 rounds if they fought tomorrow.

ps- I love boxing
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:14 am

EagleDave {l Wrote}:Just keep Wilder away from Wlad Klitchko and he'll be fine.

With the decay in interest in boxing over the last decade it's gone relatively unnoticed, but Klitchko is legitimately one of the 10 best heavyweights of all time. To borrow a cliched Rocky line, he'd kill Wilder to death inside of 3 rounds if they fought tomorrow.

ps- I love boxing

I found it hard to give Lennox Lewis much credit because of a watered-down field of Riddick Bowe and Shannon Briggs. I find it impossible to call Klitchko anything more than a dominant champ during the weakest/worst era in heavyweight history.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium