Off Season Updates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Off Season Updates

Postby b0mberMan on Fri May 09, 2014 5:57 pm

NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon May 19, 2014 7:04 am

Predraft article on Demko

Draft is being held in a little over a month.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/5/ ... ockey-east

2014 NHL Draft Prospect: Boston College goaltender Thatcher Demko

By Jeff Cox@JeffCoxSBNation on May 16 2014, 10:00a +

Thatcher Demko is projected to be selected towards the end of the first round.

The future of American goaltending is as bright as it has ever been with the likes of Jonathan Quick and John Gibson tending net in the NHL Stanley Cup Playoffs for the Los Angeles Kings and Anaheim Ducks, respectively.

A California native playing college hockey all the way across the country at Boston College is another reason for optimism when it comes to the future of USA Hockey in international competition.

As a very young freshman who accelerated to arrive at BC a year early, Thatcher Demko took a few months to adjust to college hockey, but he took Hockey East by storm in January and February before hitting a bit of a rookie wall in March.

Demko has the rare ability to come combine elite athleticism with terrific fundamentals. His size allows for him to take up a large portion of the net to make it nearly impossible for opposing shooters to get a good angle.

Having seen BC as often as any team in Hockey East this season, it was apparent that Demko has all the tools. One night it was his quick glove, the next night it would be a quick flash of the pads for a kick save and then it would be his good positioning allowing him to coral a puck right in the midsection.

Demko had a tendency to let up the occasional soft goal, but overall, his play was very impressive in his rookie season in Hockey East, one of, if not the best league in college hockey. Another favorable characteristic was his ability to not let a poor goal affect his play the rest of the game.

"He's just getting better and better as he gets more exposed, more games and gains experience," said Jerry York after a 2-0 shutout win over Providence in January. "For an 18 year old he's a really special player. I thought he was outstanding tonight."

Demko seemed to relish the spotlight and didn't let the nerves of being an 18 year-old freshman distract him from playing up to his capabilities.

"He's kind of a mature kid. He played at the NTDP level. He's gone from San Diego to Boston for school. He's got a lot of maturity for a young kid," said York.

Demko, projected to go towards the end of the first round of the NHL Draft on June 27, is rated as the No. 1 goaltender in North America by NHL Central Scouting.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri May 30, 2014 6:56 am

Since he's arriving in the fall I'll put it here.

Milano certainly has some skill with the puck....

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:59 am

Evan Richardson is leaving the program according to the kid.

Not too surprising to be honest as I think unless something was going on behind the scenes he got screwed out of PT this year. Think he should've gotten some run as the season went on and York started juggling the lineup more.

Apparently Miles Wood still isn't accelerating to this fall so a little light on F depth.

Obviously tough to knock York & Co on recruiting but they have had a lot of whiffs from the BCHL, especially of late.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Tue Jun 03, 2014 9:09 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Epparently Miles Wood still isn't accelerating to this fall so a little light on F depth.

Spiro time?
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:35 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Epparently Miles Wood still isn't accelerating to this fall so a little light on F depth.

Spiro time?

Certainly possible. I've always liked what he provided when he got the shot.

It's unfortunate as I thought Richardson had a shot to get significant ice time this year.

The kid says they're looking to pick up another F before the season, not sure what's available at this stage
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:31 pm

Richardson is off to UConn w Cav
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jun 04, 2014 5:54 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Richardson is off to UConn w Cav

I feel like guys not getting PT who leave don't usually head to another college. I thought Richardson would be off to a junior league somewhere. But I guess like the Addazzio-Florida connection, Cav gives kids from the first few classes an option at UConn.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:15 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I feel like guys not getting PT who leave don't usually head to another college. I thought Richardson would be off to a junior league somewhere. But I guess like the Addazzio-Florida connection, Cav gives kids from the first few classes an option at UConn.

wasn't there a kid who transferred to UML recently?

or am i completely making that up?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:23 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

wasn't there a kid who transferred to UML recently?

or am i completely making that up?

Malcolm Lyles
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:38 pm

Oh yeah. Forgot about him.
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:07 am

Since they're no longer really recruits & it includes a current player, TSN came out with their final ranks and there are some familiar names:

http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=95292

17. Alex Tuch
A physically assertive, rugged winger who contributes offensively. Difficult to play against and he is competitive, determined and his development has been excellent. Pushes his way into the demanding areas and makes an impact.

18. Sonny Milano
An offensive threat with magic hands around the net and the confidence to carry out plays despite opponents bearing down on him. Has the ability to be in the scoring spots at the right times. Ability to be a game changer.

27. Thatcher Demko
A big man with excellent athletic skills and a burning competitive fire. Works to be better and his attention to detail and improving in all aspects makes him a top goaltending prospect who can realize his vast potential.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:18 am

Draft night tonight, several eagles should hear their name called.

Tuch a power forward has been listed as high as 10 but probably will settle top 15

“Best American-born player this year. Big, NHL-ready body and he's only going to get stronger. Prototypical power forward. Can go into beast-mode and dominate a game physically. Strong skater for a big man. Can take a defender to the inside, but would just as soon run him over. Relentless on the forecheck. Impossible to knock off the puck. Drives the net fearlessly. Absolute load to move when he gets out front. Doesn't dazzle with his puck skills, but he knows what to do with it when he gets it. He'll be a force on the power play. Solid two-way game. How much will he score at the NHL level? Not sure he's more than a 20-goal guy.”

Milano will probably be 15-20

“Love watching this kid play. A dynamic offensive talent. Blazing speed. Has that extra gear that makes him so dangerous. Shifty, snakey, slithery...whatever you call him, he's a nightmare to defend. Has that knack for finding the dead spots in the coverage. One of the best pure offensive players in the draft. He's magic when he gets the puck on his stick. World-class playmaker, unselfish player. I'd like to see him shoot more. Quick release and a great eye for the net. He's a chirper. Loves getting under an opponent's skin. Needs to commit to playing harder when he doesn't have the puck. Needs to get stronger on his feet. Just kills against his own [age group] but can he be as effective against bigger, stronger, more experienced defenders?”

Demko might be late first round. Interesting tidbit in SI's report:

He was born to be a goalie. Great size, natural athlete. Dominated NCAA as a freshman and he was the youngest player in the league. Really mature kid. An impressive individual. Every goalie competes, but he takes it to another level. Never loses his focus. I see a lot of John Gibson in his game. Has the potential to be more than a really good stopper. He could be a star. I wouldn't risk [a first] on him. He passed on the [physical testing at the combine], and that has everyone wondering about his hips. Lots of talk he might need surgery to repair both. He's damaged goods.”

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/06/26/nhl-fi ... mock-draft

First I've heard of needing hip surgery but isn't a shock at all w goalies. John Muse played (though not up to his shutdown self -HI ELVIS) all second half on a torn hip.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:23 am

Bad hips make you have a shitty glove hand now?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:42 am

Yeah that was pure baiting
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:04 am

Milano went 16 to Columbus
Tuch 18 to Minnesota

Demko not yet picked, no goalies taken

Edit: On rumors Milano is going to Canada instead of BC:
Columbus Blue Jackets first round selection Sonny Milano seems set on heading to Boston College, despite tampering from the Plymouth Whalers of the OHL.

Milano said, "Go to BC and be an impact player right away and try to do the best I can there," when asked about heading to the Eagles in the fall.

Milano also spoke of the comparison between him and recent Boston College grad and Hobey Baker Award winner Johnny Gaudreau, who now plays for the Calgary Flames.

"He's a skilled player like myself. You see what he did there and maybe I can try to model him there," Milano explained. "Seeing skilled guys like Johnny Gaudreau have success gives you hope. They're always a top team and challenging for a national championship," added the Massapequa, NY native.

It's a good bet a player will develop under the winningest coach in NCAA history. "Jerry York is a great coach and he know's what he's doing," said Milano.

"BC was my dream school," said Milano, who de-committed from Notre Dame in November.

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2014/6/ ... halers-ohl
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 5:45 am

According to the kid and media sources (is that how it's done ESPN?), Miles Wood is accelerating to join the program this fall.

Was selected in the 4th round last year by the Devils.

Little writeup on him from back in Feb:
http://overtheboards.net/top-ten-uncomm ... ruary2014/
F Miles Wood – Noble and Greenough School

Height: 6’2, Weight: 195

Projected Role: Top Line Scorer

A new entrant to the board of uncommitted prospects, the former Brown recruit is going to provide an instant boost to whoever garners a commitment from him. Few skaters have the potential to take over games like New Jersey’s 4th round pick in 2013 can, and even fewer are available so close to their first semester of college.

This season, Wood has taken a large step in his development. Nobles coach Brian Day quoted to us, on Miles’ development, “Miles successfully has worked very hard this season to become a more savvy player with the puck who will take any open ice that is available to him but will move the puck when that is the play to be made. Through the course of this season we have seen a growing level of creativity in his game and a better understanding of how to create more time and space for he and his teammates. An incredibly dynamic player who will attack when he has the puck, he is developing into a more dynamic player who not only has the ability to finish but who has the ability to make those around him better. He is a great kid and a joy to coach.”

A surprisingly deft passer in a big man’s body, with a lethal shot. Deadly with speed behind the puck as he weaves towards the net, word on the street is that Wood’s likely going to end up on Commonwealth Ave – BU or BC – but a decision could take a little while, as he’s got a pretty pressing concern this week: Nobles travels to face a deep Phillips Exeter squad on Wednesday, in quarterfinal action of the New England Tournament.

Interesting the size Jerry is now bringing in with his F, not sure if it's a coincidence or what but..

Wood: 6'2 195
Tuch: 6'3 213
Sanford: 6'4 188
Milano: 5'11 180
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:18 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:According to the kid and media sources (is that how it's done ESPN?), Miles Wood is accelerating to join the program this fall.

Was selected in the 4th round last year by the Devils.

Little writeup on him from back in Feb:
http://overtheboards.net/top-ten-uncomm ... ruary2014/
F Miles Wood – Noble and Greenough School

Height: 6’2, Weight: 195

Projected Role: Top Line Scorer

A new entrant to the board of uncommitted prospects, the former Brown recruit is going to provide an instant boost to whoever garners a commitment from him. Few skaters have the potential to take over games like New Jersey’s 4th round pick in 2013 can, and even fewer are available so close to their first semester of college.

This season, Wood has taken a large step in his development. Nobles coach Brian Day quoted to us, on Miles’ development, “Miles successfully has worked very hard this season to become a more savvy player with the puck who will take any open ice that is available to him but will move the puck when that is the play to be made. Through the course of this season we have seen a growing level of creativity in his game and a better understanding of how to create more time and space for he and his teammates. An incredibly dynamic player who will attack when he has the puck, he is developing into a more dynamic player who not only has the ability to finish but who has the ability to make those around him better. He is a great kid and a joy to coach.”

A surprisingly deft passer in a big man’s body, with a lethal shot. Deadly with speed behind the puck as he weaves towards the net, word on the street is that Wood’s likely going to end up on Commonwealth Ave – BU or BC – but a decision could take a little while, as he’s got a pretty pressing concern this week: Nobles travels to face a deep Phillips Exeter squad on Wednesday, in quarterfinal action of the New England Tournament.

Interesting the size Jerry is now bringing in with his F, not sure if it's a coincidence or what but..

Wood: 6'2 195
Tuch: 6'3 213
Sanford: 6'4 188
Milano: 5'11 180

BC Hockey Blog saying Wood's father wants him to stay at Nobles for another year while Miles wants to come, might not be a done deal
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:15 am

very odd situation, he's going to be 19 this fall so he isn't too young. NJ owns his rights and Lou loves Jerry & HE so it isn't the team who drafted him. He stayed back when transfering to Nobles so he should have enough credits to graduate this summer...

Very odd.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:33 am

According to his twitter machine, miles wood is spending another year at nobles. Back to the drawing board for another forward
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:59 am

Looks like a chance Milano may not be coming either
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:55 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:According to his twitter machine, miles wood is spending another year at nobles. Back to the drawing board for another forward
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Looks like a chance Milano may not be coming either

Would be a bad blow to lose BOTH of those two. Wood is a strange situation...this is BC not Union/Merrimack/UML. Should be here in September.

On that note, what happens for the Devils if Wood comes and needs 3+ years? My understanding is the NHL team retains the draft rights for 4 years for NCAA athletes. But if he stayed out of NCAA for 2 years, do his rights get released? If not, do the Devils only retain the rights through sophomore year?
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:17 pm

Elvis is the resident CBA expert but believe regardless the team owns the rights for 4 years after drafting meaning the Devils will only own his rights for 2 years while at BC. As I said, something isn't adding up with this kid.

Regarding Milano, apparently the staff isn't too concerned. Not to go all twitter weird0 but he's in Boston this week, presumably for orientation. Now guess we won't know until he's here but doesn't sound like someone who is heading up north...
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:32 pm

I'm pretty sure teams have a player's rights for x amount of days, weeks, months, whatever after they leave school or graduate. If they aren't signed they become a UFA.

Edit: The rule is presumably in place to not allow teams to pressure a kid to leave school and not screw teams over if a kid stays in school. There is much less of a worry about that in Canada and overseas.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:32 am

No inside info at all, but I'm beginning to doubt Wood ever shows up.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:54 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:No inside info at all, but I'm beginning to doubt Wood ever shows up.

There are pills for that claver, but it shouldn't be a problem at your age.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:22 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:No inside info at all, but I'm beginning to doubt Wood ever shows up.

Well done
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:57 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

Well done

Try an NO product, you wont even need the pills.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:02 am

Some notes:

Rangers interested in Kevin Hayes who has less than a month to sign w the Hawks until he's a FA: http://nypost.com/2014/07/17/boston-col ... ers-radar/

Don't think he lands in NY

Asst Coach & former Eagle Marty McGinnis' son committed yesterday: http://thebostoncollegehockeyblog.blogs ... to-bc.html

Born in 98 so probably a 2016 arrival. Offensive defenseman from Hingham. Ranked #4 defenseman at the US select for '98

http://www.sbncollegehockey.com/college ... gs-top-98s

4. Luke McInnis (#4 Columbia) 5-10/170 Hingham High School/Dexter Prep - This was by far the most impressed I've been with him. I had seen him during the high school season and thought he was a good player, but not this good. He is a terrific skater, always has his head up looking for an outlet pass. He makes smart plays and doesn't try to do too much. He's a good power play QB who needs to be a little more consistently strong in his own end.

Santini killed a couple of people at Devils Camp:

Miles Wood had a nice breakaway goal:

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:58 pm

We got new jerseys that are more similar to our old ones than the UA ones we had the last couple years. I like them.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink