Team USA -Men

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Team USA -Men

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:04 pm

Johnny Hockey!
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby shockdoct on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:13 am

shockdoct {l Wrote}:His linemate, Rocco Grimaldi, is a nifty player for fighting souix.

:flagus

Johnny looked really good on the 1st period. Not as many chances in the 2nd so far..

Really hoping this performance by Johnny leads to the confidence boost that we saw in kreider last year.

2-1 US
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 9:20 am

Last 7 goals by college players :flagus

Edit: how awesome is it that Canada didn't even medal
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:21 am

:flagus :flagus :flagus :flagus :flagus :flagus :flagus :flagus :flagus :flagus
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:24 am

Add WJ gold medal and best forward award to Johnny Hockey's already impressive resume.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:27 am

The music during the presentation ceremony is right out of a cheesy '80's montage.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:53 pm

Gaudreau was all over for the first two periods. His stick was a magnet for the puck and was pretty scrappy in the corners. Disappeared a little bit in the third as the US was protecting the lead but that's more because of the system.

Grimaldi was a defensive stud in the third. Really came away impressed with that part of his game.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:26 pm

Add WJ gold medal and best forward award to Johnny Hockey's already impressive resume.

Johnny did not win best forward. Nugent-Hopkins from Canada won that. Johnny did land on the All Tournament team. Great performance, and he is much needed in Chestnut Hill.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:24 pm

SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:

Johnny did not win best forward. Nugent-Hopkins from Canada won that. Johnny did land on the All Tournament team. Great performance, and he is much needed in Chestnut Hill.

He was voted one of the top 3 players for the US along with Gibson and someone else I'm forgetting. That was the thing towards the end when he got the watch.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Sat Jan 05, 2013 5:56 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:

He was voted one of the top 3 players for the US along with Gibson and someone else I'm forgetting. That was the thing towards the end when he got the watch.

That is why I was confused. Glad it's all cleared up that JG is still a beast no matter what it was.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jan 05, 2013 6:45 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:

Believe Jacob Trouba of Michigan

USA had some talented D on that team
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Sat Jan 05, 2013 7:46 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:

Believe Jacob Trouba of Michigan

USA had some talented D on that team

Yes that is correct. He was I believe the 9th pick in the draft last year. Given that Jones will probably go 1 or 2 next year, all of the D save for Reilly were drafted in the 1st or 2nd round, so I certainly do agree.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEagles66 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:11 pm

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=648933&navid=nhl:topheads

Any one know much about this kid Jack Eichel? USNTDP player, MA native and BU commit. Wonder if BC went after him at all or if York shied away figuring the kid is a 1-and-done prospect. I mean, why else would someone play for the rat dogs over Sir Jerry York and the best team in the country?
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:35 pm

Just from reading the description and having no other knowledge of him otherwise, I'd be surprised if he actually makes it to school, especially given the fact he's already 6'1", 190 at age 16.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:51 pm

Instincts are right Elvis.

He was a 1st rounder in the Q draft last summer: http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/105462-eichel-not-decided-on-halifax-yet. Odds are he doesn't show up on campus, if he does it'll be for a year or so.

Difference between the high draft picks a BC and BU is that York gets them to stick around for 3 years.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:11 am

Team USA orientation invites:

Goalies (6): Craig Anderson, John Gibson, Jimmy Howard, Ryan Miller, Jonathan Quick, Cory Schneider.

Defensemen (18): Zach Bogosian, Dustin Byfuglien, John Carlson, Dan DeKeyser, Justin Faulk, Cam Fowler, Jake Gardiner, Erik Johnson, Jack Johnson, Seth Jones, Nick Leddy, Paul Martin, Ryan McDonagh, Brooks Orpik, Kevin Shattenkirk, Ryan Suter, Jacob Trouba, Keith Yandle.

Forwards (24): Justin Abdelkader, David Backes, Beau Bennett, Nick Bjugstad, Dustin Brown, Ryan Callahan, Alex Galchenyuk, Patrick Kane, Ryan Kesler, Phil Kessel, Trevor Lewis, Kyle Okposo, TJ Oshie, Max Pacioretty, Kyle Palmieri, Zack Parise, Joe Pavelski, Bobby Ryan, Brandon Saad, Craig Smith, Paul Stastny, Derek Stepan, James van Riemsdyk, Blake Wheeler.

Thoughts?

Deep goaltending, on the blue line? not so much
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:44 am

I would imagine Shattenkirk, Suter, McDonagh, Yandle and Martin are locks to make it. My guess is they'll take two more and it's an open competition between Jack Johnson, Erik Johnson, Faulk, Carlson, Byfuglien and Orpik for 2 more spots. Not sure who will emerge from that group but I'd be more inclined for a defensive route with the other two guys.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:48 am

I'd be shocked if Orpik doesn't make that squad. That's a shitty group of defensemen after the first couple of guys.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:14 am

I don't think Orpik has the foot speed to hang on an international surface. That said he could get in based on the sheer suck of the backline. If I had to handicap it, I'd say the Johnsons are the favorites, followed by Orpik, Byfuglien (big body presence is less useful in the Olympics IMO) and then Faulk, who has the bad fortune of being born in the wrong year as he should be a rock on the blue line in the coming years.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:21 am

Orpik has to be a lock to make it I think. He has previous Olympic experience and adds needed toughness to the blue line. Suter has to be a lock. Yandle too.

Goaltending won't be a problem, that's for sure.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:17 pm

Supahfan99 {l Wrote}:Orpik has to be a lock to make it I think. He has previous Olympic experience and adds needed toughness to the blue line. Suter has to be a lock. Yandle too.

Goaltending won't be a problem, that's for sure.

I think Martin is more of a lock than Orpik. He doesn't bring the same amount of toughness but international play is generally less physical given the larger sheet of ice, at least it will be this time since Vancouver just used the existing facilities to stage games, but has significantly more foot speed and is a decent stay at home, notwithstanding all the shit Penguins fans give him due to the fact he's probably overpaid.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:20 pm

I wouldn't take any player that purports to play "defense" for the Pens.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jul 23, 2013 3:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I wouldn't take any player that purports to play "defense" for the Pens.

Like Brooks Orpik?
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:00 pm

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I wouldn't take any player that purports to play "defense" for the Pens.

Like Brooks Orpik?

Yes, therein lies the irony.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 04, 2013 10:05 am

Demko, Santini, McCoshen & Fitzgerald make the preliminary roster

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=6943 ... l:topheads

Also invited to the camp are two promising 2014 draft prospects. Goalie Thatcher Demko of Boston College and defenseman Anthony DeAngelo of the Sarnia Sting of the OHL are regarded as A-rated prospects on NHL Central Scouting's November players to watch list for the 2014 draft.

Demko, the youngest player in the NCAA, could become the first American-born goalie drafted in the first round since Jack Campbell by the Dallas Stars in 2010. The native of San Diego, Calif., is 3-1-1 with a 2.57 goals-against average and .899 save percentage in five games.

"He's a huge (6-foot-3.75, 192 pounds), strong goalie with excellent net coverage; he has that NHL presence in the net," Central Scouting's Al Jensen said of Demko. "He is more of a positional-style goalie, relying on his angles and size. He plays big in his stance and when he drops in the butterfly gets his body in front of a lot of shots. He's smart at reading the play and gets set quickly."
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:51 am

Fitzgerald cut this morning, Demko, Santini & McCoshen go to Sweden
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:15 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Fitzgerald cut this morning, Demko, Santini & McCoshen go to Sweden

Congrats to them. The team will be better in the long run.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:34 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Like Brooks Orpik?

uh-oh.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:38 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
flyingelvii {l Wrote}:

Like Brooks Orpik?

uh-oh.

That was the Interwebs police thinking they caught me in a contradiction and then realizing they had not.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:35 pm

I still don't understand what you were talking about. I think I just got tired and made myself a sandwich or something in lieu of responding. If the point is around the phrasing of defense versus "defense", then I think there just wasn't a lot of clarity. Regardless, Orpik would look like shit on a big ice surface but that is probably a moot point after Thornton knocked him into bolivian.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Kelley Rink