New ACC Bowl Lineup

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

New ACC Bowl Lineup

Postby HJS on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:24 pm

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... ources-say
I know the Peach is now part of the College Playoff. I assume that means that they no longer have an affiliation a conference. Anyway, the #2 team is going to be shipped to the Russell/Champs/Tangerine/MicronPC/Blockbuster/Carquest. Pretty crappy if you ask me. Apparently, the one saving grace will be if a B10 team gets selected for the Orange... at which point #2 goes the Capital One Citrus Bowl. Catlett gets his dying Gator Bowl back in the mix (but they have like the 4th or 5th pick). Otherwise, it is the same run of Music City, Belk, Sun, Pinstripe. Look... we all know BC isn't being selected voluntarilty. But, if I am one of the few travelling fan bases, I'm a little pissed that it is playoffs or bust. Losing the Peach and not really replacing it... is a blow to those fans.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Re: New ACC Bowl Lineup

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9485181/acc-agrees-six-bowl-deals-sources-say
I know the Peach is now part of the College Playoff. I assume that means that they no longer have an affiliation a conference. Anyway, the #2 team is going to be shipped to the Russell/Champs/Tangerine/MicronPC/Blockbuster/Carquest. Pretty crappy if you ask me. Apparently, the one saving grace will be if a B10 team gets selected for the Orange... at which point #2 goes the Capital One Citrus Bowl. Catlett gets his dying Gator Bowl back in the mix (but they have like the 4th or 5th pick). Otherwise, it is the same run of Music City, Belk, Sun, Pinstripe. Look... we all know BC isn't being selected voluntarilty. But, if I am one of the few travelling fan bases, I'm a little pissed that it is playoffs or bust. Losing the Peach and not really replacing it... is a blow to those fans.

ACC doesn't rate HJS. What difference does it make what happens to the Peach (or any of these toilet bowls) when you only have 3 or 4 schools (F$U, Clemson, VPI, and maybe Miami) out of 14, whose alumni bother to go to bowl games at all? I don't think adding Pitt or Syracuse will change a thing.

Lesson learned on the ACC Champ. Fuck Florida. They have to have it in NC for it to approach a sellout and even then, they still need to have either FSU or Clemson in it from the Atlantic side or it wil be a huge attendance disaster.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby talon on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:49 pm

Is the Russell/Champs/Tangerine/MicronPC/Blockbuster/Carquest "pretty crappy" because it doesn't have that much history as anything more than a third tier bowl? Or because the opponent in the Russell/Champs/Tangerine/MicronPC/Blockbuster/Carquest Bowl will be terrible?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Iggle on Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:21 pm

talon {l Wrote}:Is the Russell/Champs/Tangerine/MicronPC/Blockbuster/Carquest "pretty crappy" because it doesn't have that much history as anything more than a third tier bowl? Or because the opponent in the Russell/Champs/Tangerine/MicronPC/Blockbuster/Carquest Bowl will be terrible?

I think it's more of column A. Seems like the prestige of these bowls are all going to not matter as much since I don't think the ACC is the only conference doing tiers for bowl selection.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby talon on Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:04 am

At this point, does sponsorship/history really matter?

I mean San Diego has two bowls. The Holiday Bowl is historically more "prestigious" than the San Diego Credit Union Bowl.

If the #2 ACC team played in the Credit Union bowl before Christmas against a Mountain West team, yeah it sucks. But if the #2 team in the ACC goes to that game, against a top team from the Big 12 or Pac-12 and they move the game closer to New Year's Day, does the lack of history or shitty bowl sponsor really make a difference?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby talon on Thu Jul 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Also sounds like the ACC might also add the Liberty, AdvoCare V100 and Beef 'O' Brady's Bowls.

St. Peterburg isn't that bad of a location, and the Liberty Bowl does have some historical "prestige," but if BC gets selected to the Advocare V100 Bowl, how many BC fans are making a trip to Shreveport?

It's a 3 hour straight shot on I-20 from Dallas. So maybe Dallas based BC fans would go if the game was on a Saturday, but if this game falls during the week, is 3 hours too far?
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle216 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 4:09 pm

talon {l Wrote}:Also sounds like the ACC might also add the Liberty, AdvoCare V100 and Beef 'O' Brady's Bowls.

St. Peterburg isn't that bad of a location, and the Liberty Bowl does have some historical "prestige," but if BC gets selected to the Advocare V100 Bowl, how many BC fans are making a trip to Shreveport?

It's a 3 hour straight shot on I-20 from Dallas. So maybe Dallas based BC fans would go if the game was on a Saturday, but if this game falls during the week, is 3 hours too far?

Wouldn't St. Petersburg be the site with some historical "prestige". I mean, us EO history buffs would greatly enjoy touring the city of Tsar Peter the Great.
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby Casey on Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:09 pm

Seems to me Notre Dame is hurt the most by this. The ACC now has a much, much stronger incentive put a Big 10 TeAm in the Orange Bowl (rather than Notre Dame), because doing so gives the ACC the Big 10's spot in the Citris Bowl, which has a big purse and prime TV slot. In other words, the ACC gains a bowl by spurning Notre Dame for the Orange.

If you recall, Notre Dame proposed jointing the ACC with a six game conference commitment in return for access to the Orange & all other bowls. Instead the ACC took a 5 game commitment, with no guaranteed access to the Orange, or any bowl before the ACCCG runner-up is placed.

It gives the ACC more leverage to put the screws to ND when the ACC/ESPN deal expires ( the year before ND's NBC deal expires)
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:32 am

So you're saying Swofford is a bad negotiator?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:32 am

Casey {l Wrote}:Seems to me Notre Dame is hurt the most by this. The ACC now has a much, much stronger incentive put a Big 10 TeAm in the Orange Bowl (rather than Notre Dame), because doing so gives the ACC the Big 10's spot in the Citris Bowl, which has a big purse and prime TV slot. In other words, the ACC gains a bowl by spurning Notre Dame for the Orange.

If you recall, Notre Dame proposed jointing the ACC with a six game conference commitment in return for access to the Orange & all other bowls. Instead the ACC took a 5 game commitment, with no guaranteed access to the Orange, or any bowl before the ACCCG runner-up is placed.

It gives the ACC more leverage to put the screws to ND when the ACC/ESPN deal expires ( the year before ND's NBC deal expires)

You could not be more wrong about any of this.

First... with regard to the Orange Bowl: The selection of the ACC representative's opponent will be based on securing the highest-ranked team in the final standings available from either the Big Ten, the SEC or Notre Dame. However, the Big Ten and SEC teams must appear at least three times each during the 12-year life of the deal, while Notre Dame can appear in the game a maximum of only two times. There is no minimum number of requirements by Notre Dame.

Second... with regard to the bowl arrangement between ND and the ACC: Starting in the 2014 season -- and coinciding with the new college football playoff -- Notre Dame could step over an ACC team and take its place in one of the non-BCS bowls if its record is better than, equal to or within one win of the ACC team or ranked higher in the BCS standings. Notre Dame would share in the revenues if selected to any of those bowls, and get an expenses allowance. If Notre Dame is picked for a BCS game, it would keep its revenues from that appearance.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:09 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Casey {l Wrote}:Seems to me Notre Dame is hurt the most by this. The ACC now has a much, much stronger incentive put a Big 10 TeAm in the Orange Bowl (rather than Notre Dame), because doing so gives the ACC the Big 10's spot in the Citris Bowl, which has a big purse and prime TV slot. In other words, the ACC gains a bowl by spurning Notre Dame for the Orange.

First... with regard to the Orange Bowl: The selection of the ACC representative's opponent will be based on securing the highest-ranked team in the final standings available from either the Big Ten, the SEC or Notre Dame. However, the Big Ten and SEC teams must appear at least three times each during the 12-year life of the deal, while Notre Dame can appear in the game a maximum of only two times. There is no minimum number of requirements by Notre Dame.

Second... with regard to the bowl arrangement between ND and the ACC: Starting in the 2014 season -- and coinciding with the new college football playoff -- Notre Dame could step over an ACC team and take its place in one of the non-BCS bowls if its record is better than, equal to or within one win of the ACC team or ranked higher in the BCS standings.

Well that makes perfect sense since Notre Dame alumni travel to non-BCS bowl games. Notre Dame will never allow itself to get hurt, but most ACC schools and almost all their alumni don't give a damn about these toilet bowls. The majority of ACC almuni (not named VPI, F$U, Clemson, or maybe Miami) do not travel so.... I really don't see what the big deal is here.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby Casey on Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:17 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Second... with regard to the bowl arrangement between ND and the ACC: Starting in the 2014 season -- and coinciding with the new college football playoff -- Notre Dame could step over an ACC team and take its place in one of the non-BCS bowls if its record is better than, equal to or within one win of the ACC team or ranked higher in the BCS standings. Notre Dame would share in the revenues if selected to any of those bowls, and get an expenses allowance. If Notre Dame is picked for a BCS game, it would keep its revenues from that appearance.

Well, not everything is wrong.

To the extent the ACC influences the Orange Bowl selection (and we do own all the TV rights to this, so we must have a stake), we still have much, much stronger incentive to pick a Big 10 team, over the SEC or ND, because it lets us take the Big 10 spot in the Capital One Citris Bowl. It sounds to me like the clear incentive is toselect the Big 9 times, the SEC 3 times, and leave ND. Out in the cold.

Once the payoff starts, I seriously doubt ND is going to have the strength of schedule to claim one of the 4 playoff spots. The Selection committe (run by power conferences will doc ND for the watered own schedule, particularly after dropping Michigan to keep the Academies). The SEC & Pac 12 will always claim 2 spots. The Big 10, Big 12, ACC & ND will fight it out for the last 2 spots ... And I don't see ND leaping 2 of the power conferences.

So ND is most likely looking for 2nd Bowl, but they might not have the record/ranking to steal our 2nd best bowl.

Also, isn't ACC conference runner-up guaranteed no worse than the 3rd or 4th Spot? Last year the Sun Bowl was the consololation. Not sure which one is the safety net this year or going forward, but that's one less option for ND. So barring a truly exceptions, it seems ND will do no better than our 3rd or 4th bowl.

On Good news Side, the ACC/Gator Bowl just announced a new deal involving the ACC & Big 10, it starts next year.
http://www.gatorbowl.com/wp-content/upl ... cement.pdf

With the edition of 2 big new years bowls in warm-weather Florida (Citris & Gator), and better opponent tie-ins in the Champs & Orange, I think the conference will travel much better ... BC included
Last edited by Casey on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Casey
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:06 pm

Rick Catlett absolutely destroyed the Gator Bowl by devolving it into the TaxSlayer.com Bowl.

He was the Bowl President most vocal about not giving a shit about the quality of the match-up or the TV numbers. He was always whoring himself for whatever perceived well-traveling fan base he could find (and not giving a shit about putting on a good product).

The result is a community that doesn't support the shitty game played down the block. One of the worst attended games came in 2012 when FSU played OSU. I think the most glaring Catlett misstep was when he chose a barely VaTech team who was 4-3 in the Big East instead of a 6-1 (10-win) Cuse squad who was ranked in the Top 15.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:26 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I think the most glaring Catlett misstep was when he chose a barely VaTech team who was 4-3 in the Big East instead of a 6-1 (10-win) Cuse squad who was ranked in the Top 15.

That was no misstep. Syracuse fans/alum don't generally travel to bowl games (not like VPI alum.) That was every bit intentional. $$$$$$
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:42 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I think the most glaring Catlett misstep was when he chose a barely VaTech team who was 4-3 in the Big East instead of a 6-1 (10-win) Cuse squad who was ranked in the Top 15.

That was no misstep. Syracuse fans/alum don't generally travel to bowl games (not like VPI alum.) That was every bit intentional. $$$$$$

{Insert Teddy's advice here}
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:31 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:

Constantly putting shitty (though well-travelled) teams in the Gator created apathy amongst the locals and had a cumulative effect that has resulted in the TaxSlayer.com Bowl. The dwindling attendance (culminating in one of the worst attended bowls ever when FSU played Ohio St) is further proof that, for Bowl games to be relevant, they occasionally need to create a compelling match-up against teams who are having excellent seasons.

That said, it is of no surprise that the baby-boomers who ran these boondoggles constantly grabbed the quick buck with no concern of the long term implications. Why should the venerable college football system be spared from the worst generation?
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bcfanbetweenthhedges on Sat Jul 20, 2013 8:58 am

BC will Travel to the Yankee Bowl / Babe Ruth Bowl/ PinStripe Bowl .......against the B10 :bringit :bringit
bcfanbetweenthhedges
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:50 am

bcfanbetweenthhedges {l Wrote}:BC will Travel to the Yankee Bowl / Babe Ruth Bowl/ PinStripe Bowl .......against the B10 :bringit :bringit

No they won't.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby talon on Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:39 pm

I guess that depends on how you define "travel."

If a BC fan lives in NY and goes to the Pinstripe Bowl, did he "travel?"
talon
Cushing Hall

Postby Iggle on Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:00 pm

talon {l Wrote}:I guess that depends on how you define "travel."

If a BC fan lives in NY and goes to the Pinstripe Bowl, did he "travel?"

I hope so because I need the credit
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Jul 20, 2013 7:37 pm

Fortunately, it's only a matter of time before some of these shit bowl games goes the way of the dinosaur. I expect this to accelerate during years 2 of the new BCS agreement. They could easily be an anachronism by the start of the next agreement.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:35 am

BC fans don't travel to Chestnut Hill.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:47 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:BC fans don't travel to Chestnut Hill.

Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:04 pm

Good for them...
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... boca-raton

In all seriousness, those are pretty decent destinations (even though the exhibition games being played there will suck).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:19 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Good for them...

In all seriousness, those are pretty decent destinations (even though the exhibition games being played there will suck).

Not for nothing, but I'd rather watch them play two-hand touch on Paradise Island Golf Course than venture into downtown Nassau for a football game.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:43 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Not for nothing, but I'd rather watch them play two-hand touch on Paradise Island Golf Course than venture into downtown Nassau for a football game.

of course you would

TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby BCHerbert on Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:29 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

of course you would

Did Sean Desai find a job washing golfballs? Good things happen when one works for Spaz.
BCHerbert
McGuinn Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:01 pm

Bowl questions:

1. if BC lands on 6-6, what are the odds that they get into a bowl? Are they more or less a lock?

2. If BC lands on 6-6, what are the odds they get into a bowl, if some of their fellow conference mates such as say, Syracuse, UNC, NC State, Duke, UVA and Wake also fall on 6-6 or a game above. I would put maryland in, but their schedule is too easy to finish at 6-6
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCdee on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:04 pm

Has it been 2 seasons since we've been to a bowl??? I can't remember because I'm trying to erase the Gene and Spaz years from my brain. :spaz2 :pickle
BC!
BCdee
Merkert Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:15 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Bowl questions:

1. if BC lands on 6-6, what are the odds that they get into a bowl? Are they more or less a lock?

2. If BC lands on 6-6, what are the odds they get into a bowl, if some of their fellow conference mates such as say, Syracuse, UNC, NC State, Duke, UVA and Wake also fall on 6-6 or a game above. I would put maryland in, but their schedule is too easy to finish at 6-6

are there any stupid north east bowls this year (i.e. pinstripe, frozen fenway, international, etc)? that could potentially impact 1 and 2?

if there are more acc teams qualified than the 9 bowl tie-ins, i would guess bc to be selection #1 for the also rans... then's it's just luck and happenstance as to whether one of the other shitbox bowls looks out way vs. a 7-5 mac team that views a bowl game as a novelty worth travelling (like yukon and their bcs game)
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium