2013/14/15 golf thread

Home of Football Tailgating, Intramural Football and the occasional baseball game
Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 golf thread

Postby commavegarage on Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:12 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:my picks:

keegan 20/1
scott 24/1
watney 40/1
dufner 45/1
day 60/1

Those are good picks but I don't think there is any way Scott is winning. Like the Day pick at those odds.

Thought day and dufner were good values at those
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:43 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

keegan 20/1
scott 24/1
watney 40/1
dufner 45/1
day 60/1

Those are good picks but I don't think there is any way Scott is winning. Like the Day pick at those odds.

you get credit for both of those predictions
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:54 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

keegan 20/1
scott 24/1
watney 40/1
dufner 45/1
day 60/1

you get credit for both of those predictions

Yeah, I knew as soon as Cabrera choked I was going to hear about it.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:15 pm

i was REALLY hoping for day...scott is a nice consolation prize however
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:22 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:i was REALLY hoping for day...scott is a nice consolation prize however

about mid day Saturday, I was thinking "commave has to loving this"
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:28 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:i was REALLY hoping for day...scott is a nice consolation prize however

about mid day Saturday, I was thinking "commave has to loving this"

whats funny is the thing that i thought would win it for day and lose it for scott was the putting...but ultimately it turned out to be the opposite. day lost it on the greens and scott finally made a putt.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Apr 15, 2013 12:58 pm

Have to be honest, I was painting my bathroom and watching an almost no-hitter yesterday. That leaderboard was about as exciting as watching the paint on my walls dry.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Mosi on Mon May 27, 2013 4:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Bethpage. Back in the day it was 20 bucks for NYS residents.

Torrey Pines in another public course if you happen to be in San Diego.

Locally, I like Red Tail, Blackstone National and Shaker Hills.

Don't like Widow's Walk, not a masochist. My old man and his 9 handicap shot like 97 there and lost 2 sleeves of balls in the environmentally-friendly coastal swamps.

Teddy, I'm a pass holder at the 'Walk. When did your old man play it? honestly when it opened in '97 it wasnt really ready and a ton of people came down because it got Golf Digest's enviromently friendly award and like your old man lost a shitload of balls.. (i cant remember the last time I had to buy balls. the key is to know what to hit off the tee, I've played with guys from work who'll come to say #3 a 350 yd par 4, grab driver and pound it, as long as you stay straight, you've got a 9 or wedge into the green, of course you lose it a little right or left and its jail time. most of us hit a hybrid of 5 wood off the tee then a 7 or 8 in.. its all knowing what to hit

that said it is still the best place to have a handicap from
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 28, 2013 9:00 am

I agree that you can course manage your way to not having a disaster at Widow's Walk. That said, I like to hit the clubs in my bag, and I hate golf where the key is to only go 180 off the tee, but to do it perfectly straight. That's not golf, it's Brad Faxon.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue May 28, 2013 9:36 am

have played mt hood a couple times this season which is in saugus i wanna say...not an awful track
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Tue May 28, 2013 5:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I agree that you can course manage your way to not having a disaster at Widow's Walk. That said, I like to hit the clubs in my bag, and I hate golf where the key is to only go 180 off the tee, but to do it perfectly straight. That's not golf, it's Brad Faxon.

I don't like courses like that either. Curious has anyone played the Black course at Bethpage? I've played some tough tracks but none of them have signs at the gate that basically say "This is a really fucking hard course".
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue May 28, 2013 5:51 pm

HustlinOwl {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I agree that you can course manage your way to not having a disaster at Widow's Walk. That said, I like to hit the clubs in my bag, and I hate golf where the key is to only go 180 off the tee, but to do it perfectly straight. That's not golf, it's Brad Faxon.

I don't like courses like that either. Curious has anyone played the Black course at Bethpage? I've played some tough tracks but none of them have signs at the gate that basically say "This is a really fucking hard course".

Bethpage is a state run course that used to cost $20 for state residents. It's really effing hard. I imagine it to be next to impossible to break 150 from the tips with US Open rough. That said, with normal rough from the white tees it is not as tight as Widow's Walk and you can hit driver off most of the tees (and some you have to just to reach the fairway).
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Tue May 28, 2013 6:47 pm

bethpage is hardest course ive played...notables ive played include all the bandon courses in oregon, pinehurst #2 from open tees, tpc boston (obviously not in the same zip code)...havent played shinnecock further out the island which is supposedly harder
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 29, 2013 8:27 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:bethpage is hardest course ive played...notables ive played include all the bandon courses in oregon, pinehurst #2 from open tees, tpc boston (obviously not in the same zip code)...havent played shinnecock further out the island which is supposedly harder

Shinnecock is not harder than Bethpage under normal conditions. Shinnecock has a 140 slope and 74.5 rating; Bethpage is 152, which is close to the maximum, and an absurd 78.1.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 29, 2013 8:35 am

This is a pretty good list - Bethpage at 5, Winged Foot at 8 and Shinnecock at 12. http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-courses/ ... s#slide=12

That said, if you go by slope and course rating, there is a pretty big drop off after the top 5. And there are some brutal courses missing from this list that were included in the 2007 list - this seems like a "toughest famous course" list.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 29, 2013 8:36 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:bethpage is hardest course ive played...notables ive played include all the bandon courses in oregon, pinehurst #2 from open tees, tpc boston (obviously not in the same zip code)...havent played shinnecock further out the island which is supposedly harder

Shinnecock is not harder than Bethpage under normal conditions. Shinnecock has a 140 slope and 74.5 rating; Bethpage is 152, which is close to the maximum, and an absurd 78.1.

bethpage was almost at the point where i found it unenjoyable it was so challening. and i didnt play tips. and im a decent player and a long hitter
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 29, 2013 8:42 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

bethpage was almost at the point where i found it unenjoyable it was so challening. and i didnt play tips

I would agree. Shinnecock is brutal with the wind, but it is pretty open, which is where I usually go wrong. Problem with Bethpage is you have to be consistently LONG and straight off of the tee. You can't stray, other than on a couple of holes, and you have to hit driver a lot, so you can't club down and be safe. There is no course management at Bethpage, rip it and pray it is straight and longer than you usually hit.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 29, 2013 8:44 am

that was the worst with me - driver is my worst club in my bag but if i clubbed down to the 3 wood or a hybrid it wouldnt go far enough to give me a decent second. it was downright ridiculous at times. not to mention your in jail a lot if you miss the fairway...so my options were club down and have a bad shot from the short stuff, or grip it and rip it and probably end up in jail off the fairway
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 29, 2013 8:53 am

This is an interesting list. http://www.golfdigest.com/images/rankings/gd200705100greatest.pdf

Also, if you don't mind driving, the Spa course at Saratoga is GREAT golf for relatively cheap, and the course is gorgeous. It's not particularly hard unless you hate sand (there are a lot of surrounded greens) and you stray a lot (there are a lot of pine trees lining long fairways). http://www.saratogaspagolf.com/

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Wed May 29, 2013 9:13 am

im gonna be in saratoga end of august - prices look tremendous $52 to walk on weekends (i dont ride. hate doing it.)
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed May 29, 2013 9:27 am

commavegarage {l Wrote}:im gonna be in saratoga end of august - prices look tremendous $52 to walk on weekends (i dont ride. hate doing it.)

Like Bethpage, the course is run by the state of NY parks department. There are a lot of those in NY and they are cheap, especially for residents. They do the same thing with a few of the ski resorts like Gore and Whiteface.

If we get enough rain, the spa course will be fantastic in August. That's the key with the state courses, as they don't usually water as liberally.

The other public course in Saratoga is the CC. It's $120 or so a round. But if you are in that area and willing to drive a bit, Hiland CC in Queensbury is spectacular. One of the best finishing holes I have ever played (like a rich man's version of 18 at Red Tail in Devens)*.

http://www.hilandparkcc.com/index.html

Edit - looking at the scorecard, it looks like it is 9 now. It's an island green 564 (from the whites) par 5. It's ballsy to try and hit 3-wood into an island green.

twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Wed May 29, 2013 11:25 am

As somone who has had to back off the game due to the constraints of life over the last 4-5 years, I'm thoroughly excited to finally have the opportunity to step back into the mix this season and all this golf talk is getting me pumped. Already have played twice, have 3 rounds lined up over the next 2 weeks and 3 more already in stone for later in the summer. Those will surely be supplemented by others. I might not get better over the course of this summer, but I sure will be in a better mood (still a prick though).
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Mosi on Thu May 30, 2013 6:29 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:This is an interesting list. http://www.golfdigest.com/images/rankings/gd200705100greatest.pdf

Also, if you don't mind driving, the Spa course at Saratoga is GREAT golf for relatively cheap, and the course is gorgeous. It's not particularly hard unless you hate sand (there are a lot of surrounded greens) and you stray a lot (there are a lot of pine trees lining long fairways). http://www.saratogaspagolf.com/

I love the Spa course, every time I'm up there I say if I have a good day at the Race Course, I'm playing the National... and always end up at the Spa

another benefit is it is right next to SPAC, so you are playing while bands are doing their sound checks, one year I was about to putt a 10' for bird when as i took the putter back, Neil started into 'Like a Hurricane' and I missed the putt
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu May 30, 2013 8:16 am

Mosi {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:This is an interesting list. http://www.golfdigest.com/images/rankings/gd200705100greatest.pdf

I love the Spa course, every time I'm up there I say if I have a good day at the Race Course, I'm playing the National... and always end up at the Spa

another benefit is it is right next to SPAC, so you are playing while bands are doing their sound checks, one year I was about to putt a 10' for bird when as i took the putter back, Neil started into 'Like a Hurricane' and I missed the putt

I never end up playing National either. Spa course is half the price and almost as good, though not as hard. Gets too much play though, and in the old days, there were no tee times at state park courses. Spa and Bethpage people used to get up at like 5 am to wait for a time.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:11 am

Going to be in Saratoga Labor Day weekend (This is why we shouldn't have Labor Day home games :oldman )...First time and wont be back for a while - Spa it is.

Also really wanted to get to Whistling but logistics make it such that I'll probably return to Pinehurst (which isn't the worst news)
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:34 am

I think the SPA takes tee times a week in advance - make sure you call early for that weekend. Hopefully it will get enough water - if so, it's a great round of golf. You won't lose many balls, but bring a beach chair and a book for all of the green side sand.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:32 am

Also - a couple have brought up Torrey...are there any other good courses in the SD area that I could play if I wanted to make a long weekend of it? I know Torrey has 36
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:36 am

I only played once while out there, so I am not sure what other courses are in that area.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:47 pm

Predictions for the number at Merion? The conspiracy theorists say that the old guard at the USGA are hoping that it is a birdie fest and emphasizes how poorly golf's ruling bodies have regulated technology. My speculation is that the field won't blitz Merion, as my understanding is that there are too many nuances that will trouble even the pros. That said, it isn't impossible that some individual player could catch fire and post an embarrassingly low score. My prediction is that -9 wins it.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:10 am

I was just invited to Sunday at Merion. I've never been to a golf tournament. Any tips on how best to view the proceedings? Stay in one spot or follow one of the lead groups?
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Shea Field