Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby Walsh601 on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:12 pm

Maryland sued the Atlantic Coast Conference after the college football association took legal action to force the University of Maryland to pay $52.3 million in exit fees for dropping out of the conference.

The state said in a complaint filed in Maryland that the exit penalty is a violation of antitrust law. Maryland also moved to dismiss the ACC’s lawsuit in state court in North Carolina, according to a statement from Maryland Attorney General Douglas Gansler. Maryland’s suit was filed in Prince George’s County Circuit Court.

“Our lawsuit calls the ACC’s ‘exit fee’ what it really is -- an antitrust violation and an illegal activity,” Gansler said in the statement. “Our motion in North Carolina will ensure that a Maryland court will rule on the case.”

The University of Maryland announced in November that it would leave the ACC and join the Big Ten Conference in 2014. The ACC sued to enforce the withdrawal penalty the same month.

Maryland said in its motion to dismiss the ACC’s complaint that a court of one state can’t force another state to submit to its jurisdiction.

The North Carolina case is Atlantic Coast Conference v. University of Maryland, 12-10736, State of North Carolina, Guilford County, General Court of Justice, Superior Court Division.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-18/maryland-sues-college-football-league-on-penalty-for-leaving-1-.html

Spoke with Attorney General Doug Gansler. Said the ACC has begun withholding revenue from Maryland as "collateral against the exit fee."
Gansler: "They are withholding royalties, the amount of money the University of Maryland is entitled to."
Gansler said ACC has withheld around $5 million so far. According to the ACC's letter, each withholding gets subtracted from exit fee total

https://twitter.com/alex_prewitt
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:20 pm

This isn't going to end anytime soon.

BTW... if the antitrust argument holds, not too sure I see where they are going with it to be honest... it would likely effect all GOR and Penalty clauses. It should be noted that to join the B1G, Maryland will have to sign a GOR.

Again... the ACC lawyers should be demanding all documentation regarding the B1G given to MD. The GOR... the TV projections... everything.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jan 18, 2013 2:37 pm

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:
“Our lawsuit calls the ACC’s ‘exit fee’ what it really is -- an antitrust violation and an illegal activity,” Gansler said in the statement.

Then they shouldn't have pocketed the $ paid by FSU and Clemson when they left!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:47 pm

The 8 lawyer members of this forum along with the 541 ali-ass lawyer members should be able to give us some insight into the legal standing of this case.

PS- Maryland is a sliver of a state you drive through to get from Boston to Florida.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:27 am

If they are going to litigate this, it will drag well beyond their scheduled exit date. If the money is not paid, I would think that the ACC could file an injunction for Maryland to remain in the conference until the matter is resolved. Not that the ACC wants to force them to remain, it's just that it is yet another ploy which they can use to make it more expensive and less attractive for them to leave.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:57 am

“Our lawsuit calls the ACC’s ‘exit fee’ what it really is -- an antitrust violation and an illegal activity,” Gansler said in the statement. “Our motion in North Carolina will ensure that a Maryland court will rule on the case.”

They should have raised it before signing, there is no antitrust violation or illegal activity, they could have left the conference rather than signing it.

Where did this guy get his law degree, UM?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:55 pm

I think the strangest argument is that a State University can't agree to the jurisdiction of another state.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:50 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I think the strangest argument is that a State University can't agree to the jurisdiction of another state.

I think you can agree to anything, is not like they weren't represented. At the most they will move it to federal court in NC
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:40 pm

Here works: charlie strong agreed to an 8 yr extension that pays $3.7 mm per year,he'll make 30% more than any other acc coach
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I think the strangest argument is that a State University can't agree to the jurisdiction of another state.

11th amendment?
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:44 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:

I think you can agree to anything, is not like they weren't represented. At the most they will move it to federal court in NC

This. States can agree to be sued in other states' courts.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:03 pm

http://www.statesman.com/news/sports/big-12-exploring-alliance-with-acc-two-other-leagu/nT7Bt/

B12 is looking at some sort of scheduling/marketing/tv alliance with other conferences, including the ACC and likely the Pac 12. Seems like something like this might help bring ACC revenues up and hopefully prevent future poaching. It would be weird playing FSU and Clemson again after their acrimonous departure.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:00 am

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:35 pm

1/6 of the annual wins for Maryland and Rutgers just got voted away.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -fcs-teams
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:12 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:1/6 of the annual wins for Maryland and Rutgers just got voted away.
http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... -fcs-teams

Why play FCS teams when you can just invite them to your conference?
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:12 pm

I will be rooting like a bastard for FCS teams to pull upsets before that goes into effect.

P and S: remember that the BCS is a fake championship and the real NCAA Division 1 football champions are the North Dakota State Bison.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:08 am

maryland's motion to have the lawsuit tossed out of NC was denied. This was not unexpected.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:28 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:maryland's motion to have the lawsuit tossed out of NC was denied. This was not unexpected.

that's good. if it hadn't been denied, the thousands of fans expecting a basketball game would have been dissapointed in it being cancelled by maryland's no longer existing
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:17 pm

http://atlanticcoastconfidential.com/2013/02/26/football-competition-and-revenue-part-i/

Presented with comment but not opinion because I don't really understand some of the points, I find it interesting that BC spent 18 Million dollars on football in 2012. WTF did we do with that money? For comparison sake according to the article that's more than Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue, Ole Miss, MSU, Kentucky, Georgia Tech, Maryland and Wake but less than Duke, Cuse or Pitt. That's got to be the worst return of any program, ever. Also interesting, NCSU is at the very bottom of football spending in the ACC. Weird.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby FSUeagle on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:58 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:http://atlanticcoastconfidential.com/2013/02/26/football-competition-and-revenue-part-i/

Presented with comment but not opinion because I don't really understand some of the points, I find it interesting that BC spent 18 Million dollars on football in 2012. WTF did we do with that money? For comparison sake according to the article that's more than Illinois, Minnesota, Indiana, Purdue, Ole Miss, MSU, Kentucky, Georgia Tech, Maryland and Wake but less than Duke, Cuse or Pitt. That's got to be the worst return of any program, ever. Also interesting, NCSU is at the very bottom of football spending in the ACC. Weird.

I could be wrong, but the costs of scholarships factor in to the amount spent per program (i.e. BC "spends" roughly $4-5M per year on football scholarships due to the cost of BC's tuition; wheras Boise and some state schools spend 1/4 of that). This would explain a portion of the disparity.
FSUeagle
n00b

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:59 pm

FSUeagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:http://atlanticcoastconfidential.com/2013/02/26/football-competition-and-revenue-part-i/

I could be wrong, but the costs of scholarships factor in to the amount spent per program (i.e. BC "spends" roughly $4-5M per year on football scholarships due to the cost of BC's tuition; wheras Boise and some state schools spend 1/4 of that). This would explain a portion of the disparity.

Ding ding ding, we have a winner.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:21 pm

the intern's head is clearly clouded with his desire to grudge intercourse homojs and tedward because even before he ended his sentence listing schools by comparison he should have realized that the obvious answer was obvious
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:12 pm

There are two separate issues here

1) our money spent relative to other programs. 85 schollies times 55k is 4.675 million. Times say 12k it is 1.02 or whatever state schools cost. So that's a significant difference but still means were spending more than nc state and I think some of the big10 programs and Kentucky etc. Were definitely spending a lot more than wake.

2) our money spent standing alone. Shitty facility, spaz recruiting, etc.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:28 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:the intern's head is clearly clouded with his desire to grudge intercourse homojs and tedward because even before he ended his sentence listing schools by comparison he should have realized that the obvious answer was obvious

homojs is clearly inside the intern's head. 9903 hasn't been the same since shortly after the Daz hire.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:56 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:There are two separate issues here

1) our money spent relative to other programs. 85 schollies times 55k is 4.675 million. Times say 12k it is 1.02 or whatever state schools cost. So that's a significant difference but still means were spending more than nc state and I think some of the big10 programs and Kentucky etc. Were definitely spending a lot more than wake.

2) our money spent standing alone. Shitty facility, spaz recruiting, etc.

they also have to feed them at addie's prices...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:05 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:the intern's head is clearly clouded with his desire to grudge intercourse homojs and tedward because even before he ended his sentence listing schools by comparison he should have realized that the obvious answer was obvious

homojs is clearly inside the intern's head. 9903 hasn't been the same since shortly after the Daz hire.

Ive entered the hollywood eagle9903 stage of posting. I might come back. I'm not decided. Its kind of more fun to fuck with the bad posters.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:09 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

Ive entered the hollywood eagle9903 stage of posting. I might come back. I'm not decided. Its kind of more fun to fuck with the bad posters.

:shock, update the site to play the opening lick to Voodoo Child whenever 9903 logs in.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:39 pm

And this is the part that ACC folks don't like to hear: As the college landscape keeps shifting, the ACC will continue to look a lot more like the "old" Big East, just like the soon-to-be-renamed Big East now resembles the old Conference USA.

All five major conference commissioners privately acknowledge that realignment isn't done. And the next logical evolution will inevitably be a poaching of the ACC.

When will this happen? That's the biggest question among athletic directors and TV executives right now. No one knows the answer. But this much is certain -- there's nothing that's happened in the last three years that suggests that realignment will just stop. Will Jim Delany expand the Big Ten this spring with North Carolina and Virginia? Will Mike Slive pull the trigger first and nab N.C. State or Virginia Tech? Will the Big 12 make a power play for Florida State or Clemson? Who makes the first move? Rest assured that even the most deep-rooted ACC schools have contingency plans in case the league gets poached.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130314/acc-madison-square-garden/

I hope BC is one of those school with "contingency plans".
Last edited by Walsh601 on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:23 pm

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:
And this is the part that ACC folks don't like to hear: As the college landscape keeps shifting, the ACC will continue to look a lot more like the "old" Big East, just like the soon-to-be-renamed Big East now resembles the old Conference USA.

All five major conference commissioners privately acknowledge that realignment isn't done. And the next logical evolution will inevitably be a poaching of the ACC.

When will this happen? That's the biggest question among athletic directors and TV executives right now. No one knows the answer. But this much is certain -- there's nothing that's happened in the last three years that suggests that realignment will just stop. Will Jim Delany expand the Big Ten this spring with North Carolina and Virginia? Will Mike Slive pull the trigger first and nab N.C. State or Virginia Tech? Will the Big 12 make a power play for Florida State or Clemson? Who makes the first move? Rest assured that even the most deep-rooted ACC schools have contingency plans in case the league gets poached.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20130314/acc-madison-square-garden/

I hope BC is one of those school with "contingency plans".

Assuming we don't land in a big conference, I would vote for independence in football and join the Big East (Catholic 7, etc.) in basketball if they would have us back.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:04 pm

BC's contingency plan is the exact same as UConn's... hope and pray that someone wants you because you otherwise have no other option.

The weird part about Thamel's article is that he says "even the most deep-rooted ACC schools have contingency plans"... when... in reality... the only way the conference falls apart is if those schools are proactive with those plans.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium