Dana O'Neill on Boston College/Hanlan

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Dana O'Neill on Boston College/Hanlan

Postby BostonChillage on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:34 pm

Scott (College Park)

Hi Dana, what happened to Maryland last night? do they have to beat UNC and Virginia now to get in the big dance?
Dana O'Neil (2:03 PM)

Scott: I think prayer is a better stance right now. That was a debacle, a horrific loss at a really bad time. Definitely need to win those two and not go out early in the ACC Tourney.

David (Boston)

How about some love for Olivier Hanlan? Odds on ROY for the ACC. Donahue is building some talent in Chestnut Hill.
Dana O'Neil (2:21 PM)

David: Simmer down, a bit. He's a good player but one win over a head in the clouds Maryland team shouldn't have you going off the deep end. BC still has work to do.

My thoughts:

On the first response, there was some bad basketball played at times, but to call it a debacle and horrific lost seems a bit much.

Second response, I appreciate that she is a national writer so probably is not bothered to watch BC play right now or follow the team, but a simple google search will tell you the numbers that Hanlan has been putting up big numbers consistently...

Definitely being a little sensitive here, but I just hate being overlooked and not respected.
"I love this moment so much I want to have sex with it"
BostonChillage
n00b

Re: Dana O'Neill on Boston College/Hanlan

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:52 pm

Hanlan should win ROY in the ACC but will not. Dana O'Neill is a moron.

BC has a better chance at a ACCT run than MD. MD is incredibly stupid.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:34 pm

Dana O'Neill doesn't know shit. Fuck her, Hanlan deserves some respect.
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:44 pm

O'Neil is a Ped State apologist who's bitter that her alma mater's dogshit program couldn't beat BC this year.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:16 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Hanlan should win ROY in the ACC but will not. Dana O'Neill is a moron.

Agreed on both points. I am still waiting to hear from Shaddix about how I was wrong about Maryland being mediocre and that their moral victory with Kentucky was meaningless.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:19 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Hanlan should win ROY in the ACC but will not. Dana O'Neill is a moron.

Agreed on both points. I am still waiting to hear from Shaddix about how I was wrong about Maryland being mediocre and that their moral victory with Kentucky was meaningless.

do i hear wilson philips cds being exchanged in the future?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:41 am

It really is just lazy analysis. Vegas had the game as a pick 'em with the line moving towards BC, so you'd be pretty hard pressed to call it a horrific loss.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:02 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

If BC finds a way to make some shots and play that kind of defense, teams will not want to play them in Greensboro. We're also getting better where some teams like UVA are headed the other way

MD has loads of talent, there's just 0 basketball IQ out there
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Baltimore Eagle on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:14 pm

Maryland is an interesting team especially when contrasted with BC. They probably have 8 players that would start for BC but I agree that their collective basketball IQ is about 12. Much of that is related to poor point guard play but I also think Turgeon has too big a rotation w/ 10 guys getting at least 13 minutes a game and nobody averaging over 30 mins. That's why Maryland can look great at times and extremely disjointed at others. It's surprising b/c I think Turgeon is a good coach but he doesn't look like one this year.

On the other hand BC, is forced to play people like Van Nest for 10+ minutes a game and has 4 guys getting over 30 mins a game (Rahon, Hanlon, Anderson, and Jackson). It helps that Hanlon has been ROY caliber at the point. What Donahue does well is play to his players strength's (if they have them) and the players do a good job of staying w/in themselves and knowing their roles. The only player on the team that consistently shows a low basketball IQ is Heckmann (it's in single digits). Beating Maryland in rebounding last game is particularly impressive and a testament to BC's coaches and players.

BC's problem is they can outplay an opponent for 75% of the game w/out building much of a margin and it can all be wiped away in one 2 minute run by a more athletically talented team.
Baltimore Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby Baltimore Eagle on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:19 pm

Also Dana O'Neill's comment is moronic. As a national reporter she doesn't need to know everything about BC. But if you don't know what you're talking about just don't say anything. It's not like she had to answer the guys question.
Baltimore Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:23 pm

Baltimore Eagle {l Wrote}:Maryland is an interesting team especially when contrasted with BC. They probably have 8 players that would start for BC but I agree that their collective basketball IQ is about 12. Much of that is related to poor point guard play but I also think Turgeon has too big a rotation w/ 10 guys getting at least 13 minutes a game and nobody averaging over 30 mins. That's why Maryland can look great at times and extremely disjointed at others. It's surprising b/c I think Turgeon is a good coach but he doesn't look like one this year.

On the other hand BC, is forced to play people like Van Nest for 10+ minutes a game and has 4 guys getting over 30 mins a game (Rahon, Hanlon, Anderson, and Jackson). It helps that Hanlon has been ROY caliber at the point. What Donahue does well is play to his players strength's (if they have them) and the players do a good job of staying w/in themselves and knowing their roles. The only player on the team that consistently shows a low basketball IQ is Heckmann (it's in single digits). Beating Maryland in rebounding last game is particularly impressive and a testament to BC's coaches and players.

BC's problem is they can outplay an opponent for 75% of the game w/out building much of a margin and it can all be wiped away in one 2 minute run by a more athletically talented team.

I wouldn't let Nick Faust start for any team.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:49 pm

Her argument against Hanlan for ROY is basically that BC isn't that good of a team. So that's something, I guess.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:42 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

do i hear wilson philips cds being exchanged in the future?

it's ironic that with your philly connection, you don't look good in green

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:59 pm

BostonChillage {l Wrote}:Definitely being a little sensitive here, but I just hate being overlooked and not respected.

By the national media? Get used to it. A strong BC in sports does nothing for the national media. There are not enough living BC alumni in the entire world (nor will there ever be enough) for the media to take interest in BC.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:31 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

take a number behind me; im waiting to hear how nc state is still the best team in the acc so losing to them at home was okay.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:34 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

take a number behind me; im waiting to hear how nc state is still the best team in the acc so losing to them at home was okay.

domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 73CAV on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:05 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
BostonChillage {l Wrote}:Definitely being a little sensitive here, but I just hate being overlooked and not respected.

By the national media? Get used to it. A strong BC in sports does nothing for the national media. There are not enough living BC alumni in the entire world (nor will there ever be enough) for the media to take interest in BC.

Duke and Wake Forest say, "Hello!"
73CAV
n00b

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:20 pm

73CAV {l Wrote}:

The national media does not care about Wake Forest. Been a long time since Tim Duncan.

They care about Duke because Duke is always excellent. They are always excellent because they have the best basketball coach in the country. He is the best coach because he is the best salesman (selling Duke.) Calipari is also a damn good salesman (hell with Kentucky, he sold UMass to Marcus Camby.) HC job at this level, is a sales job. The best salesmen are the best basketball coaches. Fuck everything else.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:40 pm

73CAV {l Wrote}:

The national media does not care about Wake Forest. Been a long time since Tim Duncan.

Chris Paul? 2005?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:12 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
73CAV {l Wrote}:

Chris Paul? 2005?

without nospacipedia he would have to pull a jags here
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby cvilleagle on Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:58 am

I would prefer Dana O'Neill on cvilleagle, if you know what I'm saying.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:01 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I would prefer Dana O'Neill on cvilleagle, if you know what I'm saying.

now that you mention it she does kind of look like a dude.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:29 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:I would prefer Dana O'Neill on cvilleagle, if you know what I'm saying.

See, you can be funny.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:15 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

See, you can be funny.

Let's not get carried away here
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:21 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

See, you can be funny.

Let's not get carried away here

That's quite enough out of you, menstrual Shaddix.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Return to Conte Forum