Eddie Odio Highlights

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Eddie Odio Highlights

Postby BCEaglesFan on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:15 am

Kinda strange to be posting this now and not at the end of the season, but whatever.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Re: Eddie Odio Highlights

Postby bcmurph on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:41 am

Why can't we recruit guys like that...
"Stay with this young team - there are great days ahead." Coach Donahue tweet 2/19/2012 -
bcmurph
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:51 am

Watching him block McAdoo is awesome. The kid deserves a ton of credit.

He needs to play 30+ minutes against teams like FSU and Maryland.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:01 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Not athletic.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:34 am

I enjoy watching Odio play on the defensive end. He's a hustler and his athletic ability is pretty sick. All of that said, he needs to spend MONTHS this summer working on his offensive game. I actually think he is already a force defensively, but on the other end, he is a huge liability. When he is out there, no one covers him. In the Don's offense, you can't have one of the 5 guys be unable to score - there are periods when he is in the game that they rotate the ball and you wonder why there are no open shots, but you realize that there was an open shot - Odio unguarded 15 feet from the basket, or worse, sitting on the three point line.

The alternative would be to park him on the low block, but that is not the way this offense works - they only need one big man and its high post and it appears like Don wants it to be Anderson. Which may explain why he is so reluctant to go get one of those athletic power forward projects - he's be roaming around the perimeter, not a threat.

Kadji would be awesome in the BC offense. All-American even.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:00 am

I think someone needs to introduce him to Human Growth Hormones. The kid is not going to develop a JDud-like feel for the game or skill set. As such, he needs to exploit his physical gifts. While his athleticism is special, he needs another 25 pounds (minimum) of muscle to establish himself as a physical presence. If he was to start juicing, the kid could be a draft pick in the Nerlens Noel mold of raw talent but no developed skill set.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:02 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I think someone needs to introduce him to Human Growth Hormones. The kid is not going to develop a JDud-like feel for the game or skill set. As such, he needs to exploit his physical gifts. While his athleticism is special, he needs another 25 pounds (minimum) of muscle to establish himself as a physical presence. If he was to start juicing, the kid could be a draft pick in the Nerlens Noel mold of raw talent but no developed skill set.

Deer Antler Spray.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:11 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I enjoy watching Odio play on the defensive end. He's a hustler and his athletic ability is pretty sick. All of that said, he needs to spend MONTHS this summer working on his offensive game. I actually think he is already a force defensively, but on the other end, he is a huge liability. When he is out there, no one covers him. In the Don's offense, you can't have one of the 5 guys be unable to score - there are periods when he is in the game that they rotate the ball and you wonder why there are no open shots, but you realize that there was an open shot - Odio unguarded 15 feet from the basket, or worse, sitting on the three point line.

The alternative would be to park him on the low block, but that is not the way this offense works - they only need one big man and its high post and it appears like Don wants it to be Anderson. Which may explain why he is so reluctant to go get one of those athletic power forward projects - he's be roaming around the perimeter, not a threat.

I think this is something of an exaggeration of his effect on the offense "huge liability", but it would definitely be helpful if he was above say .330 from 3, I don't see the ability to drive coming any time soon. I certainly don't like how he seems to hand off the ball to a guard at least 2-3 times a game on the perimeter and therefore readily admit there are times when he hurts the flow, but I think he's actually greatly improved his passing at least so that while he is not a threat to score it doesn't stop everything most of the time.

He adds an element we don't otherwise have at the expense of the offense running at ideal efficiency. I don't see it as huge liability so much as something that would be nice to not have to deal with. Kadji would be a good fit. He would also be frustrating as hell to watch.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:20 am

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I think someone needs to introduce him to Human Growth Hormones. The kid is not going to develop a JDud-like feel for the game or skill set. As such, he needs to exploit his physical gifts. While his athleticism is special, he needs another 25 pounds (minimum) of muscle to establish himself as a physical presence. If he was to start juicing, the kid could be a draft pick in the Nerlens Noel mold of raw talent but no developed skill set.

Deer Antler Spray.

Now we're talking.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:43 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I enjoy watching Odio play on the defensive end. He's a hustler and his athletic ability is pretty sick. All of that said, he needs to spend MONTHS this summer working on his offensive game. I actually think he is already a force defensively, but on the other end, he is a huge liability. When he is out there, no one covers him. In the Don's offense, you can't have one of the 5 guys be unable to score - there are periods when he is in the game that they rotate the ball and you wonder why there are no open shots, but you realize that there was an open shot - Odio unguarded 15 feet from the basket, or worse, sitting on the three point line.

I think this is something of an exaggeration of his effect on the offense "huge liability", but it would definitely be helpful if he was above say .330 from 3, I don't see the ability to drive coming any time soon. I certainly don't like how he seems to hand off the ball to a guard at least 2-3 times a game on the perimeter and therefore readily admit there are times when he hurts the flow, but I think he's actually greatly improved his passing at least so that while he is not a threat to score it doesn't stop everything most of the time.

He adds an element we don't otherwise have at the expense of the offense running at ideal efficiency. I don't see it as huge liability so much as something that would be nice to not have to deal with. Kadji would be a good fit. He would also be frustrating as hell to watch.

Problem is the entire concept of the Don offense requires 1 passing big man that can shoot from the foul line and score in the post and 4 guys that can handle and shoot. Having one of the 4 not be able to do those things means his man can trap down on the post player or off on one of the other 3 shooters, and defenses don't have to rotate as much. Watching BC recently (since Odio has been getting run) I have found myself 4-5 times a game saying "that's some good ball rotation, there's the open 15-18 footer, oh wait ... that's Odio, he'll reverse it back to the covered guy without even looking at the hoop." There was one game where he was out of his mind and hit a three, but for the most part he scores only when he screen and rolls or follows a penetrator to the hoop for a put back.

Ideally, Clifford is the guy in the post, and Anderson is one of the 4, but Anderson's game is not there yet, and Clifford is hurting.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:47 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Problem is the entire concept of the Don offense requires 1 passing big man that can shoot from the foul line and score in the post and 4 guys that can handle and shoot. Having one of the 4 not be able to do those things means his man can trap down on the post player or off on one of the other 3 shooters, and defenses don't have to rotate as much. Watching BC recently (since Odio has been getting run) I have found myself 4-5 times a game saying "that's some good ball rotation, there's the open 15-18 footer, oh wait ... that's Odio, he'll reverse it back to the covered guy without even looking at the hoop." There was one game where he was out of his mind and hit a three, but for the most part he scores only when he screen and rolls or follows a penetrator to the hoop for a put back.

Ideally, Clifford is the guy in the post, and Anderson is one of the 4, but Anderson's game is not there yet, and Clifford is hurting.

I think it creates the need for an extra unnecessary pass and ideally it would not, but I just don't think its that big a deal. I absolutely know what you are talking about and have definitely noticed. It also happens with Heckmann and Rubin a lot because they are scared to shoot. I guess its not your point but Odio's plus athleticism and hustle are a greater benefit than what you describe is a detrmiment in my opinion.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:57 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I think it creates the need for an extra unnecessary pass and ideally it would not, but I just don't think its that big a deal. I absolutely know what you are talking about and have definitely noticed. It also happens with Heckmann and Rubin a lot because they are scared to shoot. I guess its not your point but Odio's plus athleticism and hustle are a greater benefit than what you describe is a detrmiment in my opinion.

I agree it happens with other players, not saying he's any worse than Rubin or Heckmann. Just saying it's a very big deal to the Don's O. if they recruit a guy that fits in the offense, Odio and his D sees more pine. Drago is going to get his minutes next season.

In a different system, Odio would be fine. In Al's flex, he would probably be pretty effective, because it would park him under the rim with all that athleticism and he could out leap guys for boards.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:02 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I agree it happens with other players, not saying he's any worse than Rubin or Heckmann. Just saying it's a very big deal to the Don's O. if they recruit a guy that fits in the offense, Odio and his D sees more pine. Drago is going to get his minutes next season.

In a different system, Odio would be fine. In Al's flex, he would probably be pretty effective, because it would park him under the rim with all that athleticism and he could out leap guys for boards.

If Drago or some other player provides defense, hustle and board he will take Odio's minutes, otherwise they will have to have the occasional hitch in the offense.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:10 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

If Drago or some other player provides defense, hustle and board he will take Odio's minutes, otherwise they will have to have the occasional hitch in the offense.

See, I think the proper flow of the offense is the clear #1 priority to the Don. I think he would sacrifice all of the D, hustle and boards Odio provides to have his offense work right for the first time in 2 years. Not going to happen with the current iteration of Odio on the floor, unless he is in the high post position. And he's not going to play there with Anderson getting 35 mins a night and Clifford 5-10.

Like I said, in the offense I would run, or many other offenses, you could absorb Odio's lack of it for what he provides elsewhere. Not in this offense.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:16 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

See, I think the proper flow of the offense is the clear #1 priority to the Don. I think he would sacrifice all of the D, hustle and boards Odio provides to have his offense work right for the first time in 2 years. Not going to happen with the current iteration of Odio on the floor, unless he is in the high post position. And he's not going to play there with Anderson getting 35 mins a night and Clifford 5-10.

Like I said, in the offense I would run, or many other offenses, you could absorb Odio's lack of it for what he provides elsewhere. Not in this offense.

If that was true wouldn't we be seeing way more Anderson-Heckmann-Jackson-Rahon-Hanlan than Anderson-Odio-Jackson/Heckmann-Rahon-Hanlan?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:19 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

If that was true wouldn't we be seeing way more Anderson-Heckmann-Jackson-Rahon-Hanlan than Anderson-Odio-Jackson/Heckmann-Rahon-Hanlan?

Yes. That's why those 5 guys started the season as the starters (at least once it was clear Clifford could not go). That's why it took a year and a half of watching Heckmann frustrate the crap of him before finally going to Odio, who has only received significant minutes in the past 3-4 games. That's why I think Drago will get every opportunity to be the new Heckmann.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby gaelfu on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:23 pm

I agree that Don relegates Odio to bench duty minutes-wise next year unless he develops an outside shot. Don's best teams at Cornell were built around the offense. His sweet 16 team led the NCAA in 3 pt percentage his final year. Their defenses were never that good (not that one should expect a Cornell defense to be very good).

If BC has a prayer of making the tourney next year, it's going to be on the back of an offense that is shredding teams, because the defense will never be more than mediocre. Don is not a defensive coach.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:28 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:I agree that Don relegates Odio to bench duty minutes-wise next year unless he develops an outside shot. Don's best teams at Cornell were built around the offense. His sweet 16 team led the NCAA in 3 pt percentage his final year. Their defenses were never that good (not that one should expect a Cornell defense to be very good).

If BC has a prayer of making the tourney next year, it's going to be on the back of an offense that is shredding teams, because the defense will never be more than mediocre. Don is not a defensive coach.

This is true, and it is also about the specific offensive philosophy and whether Odio fits it. Don's offense is straight from the Bobby Knight/Coach K school of motion offense - big men either are the one post guy, or they can shoot (for example, Duke's Kelly v. Plumlee). Duke's offense is a little more traditional, and at times has had 2 post players, but the whole concept is spreading the floor with threats to shoot. Although it is a very different league, the Celtics are doing a lot of this without Rondo - Garnett in the high post, and 4 guys that are perimeter threats spread around him.

Big fan of Odio. Hope he learns to shoot. Think Al would have loved him in the flex. But it is what it is.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Brablc on Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:52 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
gaelfu {l Wrote}:I agree that Don relegates Odio to bench duty minutes-wise next year unless he develops an outside shot. Don's best teams at Cornell were built around the offense. His sweet 16 team led the NCAA in 3 pt percentage his final year. Their defenses were never that good (not that one should expect a Cornell defense to be very good).

This is true, and it is also about the specific offensive philosophy and whether Odio fits it. Don's offense is straight from the Bobby Knight/Coach K school of motion offense - big men either are the one post guy, or they can shoot (for example, Duke's Kelly v. Plumlee). Duke's offense is a little more traditional, and at times has had 2 post players, but the whole concept is spreading the floor with threats to shoot. Although it is a very different league, the Celtics are doing a lot of this without Rondo - Garnett in the high post, and 4 guys that are perimeter threats spread around him.

Big fan of Odio. Hope he learns to shoot. Think Al would have loved him in the flex. But it is what it is.

He's made a big leap this year and I'm with you in hoping he takes the off-season to expand his offensive game. I like to think he will do that as he was able to bulk up a lot this past off-season (still room to go). I'm also glad that his confidence seems to be soaring right now. I know all of Donahue's quotes on Odio were all about him gaining confidence.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:12 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Yes. That's why those 5 guys started the season as the starters (at least once it was clear Clifford could not go). That's why it took a year and a half of watching Heckmann frustrate the crap of him before finally going to Odio, who has only received significant minutes in the past 3-4 games. That's why I think Drago will get every opportunity to be the new Heckmann.

This would make sense but for the fact that odio showed zero signs of contributing until heckmanns mistakes got him minutes. Now you're dealing with a contributing odio vs other players, which is a different formula.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:13 pm

This is a good example of shoehorning.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:16 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Do you know what else is?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:21 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

no, what?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:21 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

no, what?

Your mom.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:22 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

no, what?

Your mom.

i get an assist for that one.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:52 pm

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:39 pm

Eddie Odio and Caudill are the two biggest outliers of the don's recruiting history since he has come to BC. He recruits scorers and shooters who may be able to develop other parts of their games. Odio had no offensive game other than outjumping high schoolers in miami. Caudill, I am not sure how he caught the don's eye.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby gaelfu on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:03 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Please do explain?
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:22 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Eddie Odio and Caudill are the two biggest outliers of the don's recruiting history since he has come to BC. He recruits scorers and shooters who may be able to develop other parts of their games. Odio had no offensive game other than outjumping high schoolers in miami. Caudill, I am not sure how he caught the don's eye.

Caudill is nearly 7 ft tall. That's how.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BC923 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:10 pm

I'm a huge fan of Odio. Defensively he's a force (I wish he didn't ahve to play out of position all the time though) and I can see him improving offensively. He could end up being a very solid 3 if he is ever able to play there. Unfortunately 6-6 isn't big enough to be a 4, although he does an admirable job there.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Next

Return to Conte Forum