2014 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2014 Recruiting Thread

Postby bceagles24 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:53 pm

PA RB Shai McKenzie was offered today as well that 19 for him now.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:42 pm

even going way back to our ESPN days, I've always wondered if 24 was a recruiting analyst... he's chock full of CONTENT.

I've got a lot of optimism about this 2014 class. the conclusion of 2013 was baaaaad, but I'll give the crew a full year before I judge.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:54 pm

I never give a crap at this stage of the recruiting game until I start hearing about return interest or someone considering verballing early. It's good that we are throwing our hat in the ring with these players (something we didn't even attempt under Spazoo), but offering highly thought of kids is par for the course at most programs... it's only newsworthy here because of the previous regime.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:53 am

HJS {l Wrote}:I never give a crap at this stage of the recruiting game until I start hearing about return interest or someone considering verballing early. It's good that we are throwing our hat in the ring with these players (something we didn't even attempt under Spazoo), but offering highly thought of kids is par for the course at most programs... it's only newsworthy here because of the previous regime.

yes. no more than this except I'd add that it is also the offering a lot of recruits as opposed to very few and doing so early. None of it matters at the end of the day, but it is the right way to do this early part of recruiting unlike the prior regime.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:24 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I never give a crap at this stage of the recruiting game until I start hearing about return interest or someone considering verballing early. It's good that we are throwing our hat in the ring with these players (something we didn't even attempt under Spazoo), but offering highly thought of kids is par for the course at most programs... it's only newsworthy here because of the previous regime.

yes. no more than this except I'd add that it is also the offering a lot of recruits as opposed to very few and doing so early. None of it matters at the end of the day, but it is the right way to do this early part of recruiting unlike the prior regime.

Exactly. How many times have I complained about casting too narrow a net? It was a HUGE problem under Siravo. He had this irrational fear that kids would jump all over their BC offers and we'd fill the class unevenly or too quickly or whatever. BC should be that lucky. You reach out to a bunch of kids. Get their attention with offers... and THEN figure out who is receptive to your pitch.

On that front, they better be reaching into the wealthy towns and Catholic schools in Cali. BC is a very good sell out there. Might not be able to beat UCLA for a kid, but you are certainly going to have a shot with pretty much any kid not holding an offer from USC, UCLA, Stanford or Oregon.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:26 am

I don't have any doubts that Addazio knows how to recruit the right way, and I am glad that he's not saying the old bullshit excuse about recruiting the right way "for BC".

With him it will be all about results - can he close. We know he's got a good eye for talent and will go for some top recruits.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bceagles24 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 10:54 am

OH WR Derek Kief offered that's 11 for him. Like this kid a lot big target and really athletic.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby garf112 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:12 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Exactly. How many times have I complained about casting too narrow a net? It was a HUGE problem under Siravo. He had this irrational fear that kids would jump all over their BC offers and we'd fill the class unevenly or too quickly or whatever. BC should be that lucky. You reach out to a bunch of kids. Get their attention with offers... and THEN figure out who is receptive to your pitch.

On that front, they better be reaching into the wealthy towns and Catholic schools in Cali. BC is a very good sell out there. Might not be able to beat UCLA for a kid, but you are certainly going to have a shot with pretty much any kid not holding an offer from USC, UCLA, Stanford or Oregon.

Some numbers from a post I made two years ago on 2/10/11:

At that point we had made 45 offers in the rivals database.

2/14/13- 61 offers

So, we have made a few more offers, but that isn't the real issue. The real issue is that any time someone had an offer from another BCS school, we would stop recruiting the guy. They changed the strategy of not casting a wide enough net in 2012, but then their strategy was to just throw offers out and not follow up if a kid didn't either automatically commit or had interest from another non MAC/ I-AA school.

Class of 2011, we had 104 offers.
Class of 2012, we had 161 offers.
Class of 2013, we have 211 offers! For only 15 spots. Embarrassing.
garf112
Carney Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:52 am

On Garrett Johnson via ESPN:

Todd Fitch, formerly the offensive coordinator at USF, made the scholarship offer on the part of his new school, Boston College.

"I was very excited actually," Johnson said. "I had been talking to Coach Fitch. He had come down to the school about two or three weeks ago, and he later said he was very impressed. They had been evaluating me since he was at USF. Knowing him kind of makes the process a little better."

"I am probably going to spend this week at USF for their junior day," he said. "I want to get up to Northwestern, Boston College and also Florida."
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:12 pm

garf112 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Some numbers from a post I made two years ago on 2/10/11:

At that point we had made 45 offers in the rivals database.

2/14/13- 61 offers

So, we have made a few more offers, but that isn't the real issue. The real issue is that any time someone had an offer from another BCS school, we would stop recruiting the guy. They changed the strategy of not casting a wide enough net in 2012, but then their strategy was to just throw offers out and not follow up if a kid didn't either automatically commit or had interest from another non MAC/ I-AA school.

Class of 2011, we had 104 offers.
Class of 2012, we had 161 offers.
Class of 2013, we have 211 offers! For only 15 spots. Embarrassing.

One of things I should mention that Dazoo is doing correctly... is that he isn't just offering kids out of the blue... he (or his staff) is offering kids while meeting them in person or talking on the phone. How many effing times did a recruit last year say that he got a "surprise offer" from BC and that he "doesn't know much about the school" and would try to reach out to the coaching staff. It was ridiculous.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:18 pm

they need to beat legit BCS schools for two or three offensive and defensive linemen per year, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 DB's or Safties, 2 LB and 1 TE. That is 14 kids with legit offers elsewhere.

I figure a second or third TE can be a big body, who can be developed. He will only be blocking. There should be 3 RB's in each class. The third RB can be a kid like Rouse anytime.

The second QB, can be akid like Walsh as long as the first QB is legit.

BC has always taken an OL or two, who is a local kid and just underecruited. That can continue as long as this staff is good at coaching up kids.

BC has always had trouble recruiting safety and CB/speed and athletism, so if they get two legit kids per year and two with potential then that is fine.

I dont care who they get at WR. They will need 2-3 per year, and where they have no intention of throwing the ball, I frankly dont care if these are all reaches. Find an underrecruited kid with speed.

1 punter and 1 kicker and that is a class around 20.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby UK Eagle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:36 pm

According to @PlantFootball OL Ray Raulerson has received an offer from BC. He also has an offer from Rutgers.

EDIT: Also offered his teammate LB Andrew Beck along with Kentucky. Fitch getting busy in Florida
Last edited by UK Eagle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UK Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:41 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:they need to beat legit BCS schools for two or three offensive and defensive linemen per year, 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 DB's or Safties, 2 LB and 1 TE. That is 14 kids with legit offers elsewhere.

I figure a second or third TE can be a big body, who can be developed. He will only be blocking. There should be 3 RB's in each class. The third RB can be a kid like Rouse anytime.

The second QB, can be akid like Walsh as long as the first QB is legit.

BC has always taken an OL or two, who is a local kid and just underecruited. That can continue as long as this staff is good at coaching up kids.

BC has always had trouble recruiting safety and CB/speed and athletism, so if they get two legit kids per year and two with potential then that is fine.

I dont care who they get at WR. They will need 2-3 per year, and where they have no intention of throwing the ball, I frankly dont care if these are all reaches. Find an underrecruited kid with speed.

1 punter and 1 kicker and that is a class around 20.

If you run the spread option, you want WRs with speed to run end arounds etc. ala Wake.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby bceagles24 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:50 pm

It's been a really busy couple days ill have everything on the front page updated tonight.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:15 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:even going way back to our ESPN days, I've always wondered if 24 was a recruiting analyst... he's chock full of CONTENT.

I've got a lot of optimism about this 2014 class. the conclusion of 2013 was baaaaad, but I'll give the crew a full year before I judge.

I don't know if I'd call myself an analyst I started working for TR at 16 3 years ago. At that point it was just doing some interviews etc. after awhile the owner got busy with his other job and by the time I was 18 I was running a site that was once considered the next big thing(in all honestly everything 247 is doing right now they took from us they just had the big names and the huge money behind them). Had we gotten the big break we were on pace for it wouldn't changed the landscape of recruiting coverage forever because we were going to stay free. While I took care of the day to day stuff like making sure articles went up I never had the control over the actual site that was the tech guys and they failed us miserable and right now the site is down. But anyway long story short I've had a bunch of chances to leave TR and never did was more of the loyalty aspect in me I guess. We had I want to say maybe 5-7 posters from TR get jobs at the big websites. Another 5 or so that could've but stuck around. The guys on that board are unbelievable a lot of times I won't be a guy that breaks a BC offer but once I know a guy has one i can generally get good info on most because the posters on that board are from all different areas of the country. Sorry for the long post but figured I'd reply.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby shockdoct on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:19 pm

UK Eagle {l Wrote}:According to @PlantFootball OL Ray Raulerson has received an offer from BC. He also has an offer from Rutgers.

EDIT: Also offered his teammate LB Andrew Beck along with Kentucky. Fitch getting busy in Florida

I know we have gone down this road before (with Robert Marve), but the Plant HC is a BC grad. Hopefully the dazzler can build up a relationship with him as that program churns out college football players.

Interesting that he agreed to be the WR coach at USF before deciding 48 hours later to stay as the HC at Plant. LOYALTY.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:28 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:
UK Eagle {l Wrote}:According to @PlantFootball OL Ray Raulerson has received an offer from BC. He also has an offer from Rutgers.

I know we have gone down this road before (with Robert Marve), but the Plant HC is a BC grad. Hopefully the dazzler can build up a relationship with him as that program churns out college football players.

Interesting that he agreed to be the WR coach at USF before deciding 48 hours later to stay as the HC at Plant. LOYALTY.

Maybe HC at Plant was his REAL DREAM JOB? :shrug
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:57 pm

Rutgers just offered Hendren BC should hurry up with this one.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 7:07 pm

Another FL OL with an offer Corey Martinez from Tampa Catholic.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:02 pm

shockdoct {l Wrote}:

Plant City has without question the best strawberries that I have ever consumed.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:05 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
shockdoct {l Wrote}:

Plant City has without question the best strawberries that I have ever consumed.

Recruits read these board Hansen. Please keep your truck stop bathroom stall code to yourself.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:05 am

BCI just put out a spreadsheet with a big board of BC targets & their offers. You can find it here:

http://www.bcinterruption.com/boston-co ... o#comments
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:10 am

This is speculative, but I think the Dazzler is attempting to make use of the recruiting services. This seems smart (One of Schiano's tricks). I think he has opened a lot of information to the Rivals people based on the like 10 articles a day in the last week which is more than you'd get from the Spaz regime in a month in season. Trading access seems like it could potentially have tangible results. These writer people talk to these kids a lot, I'd imagine having them like the school as opposed to think it smells like old people is helpful.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:36 am

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:BCI just put out a spreadsheet with a big board of BC targets & their offers. You can find it here:

There's a couple guys on there such as Mahalak and Tyrell Smith that don't have offers. As a matter of fact Mahalak doesn't have any offers not sure where he's BC,Miami,and UNC from. Otherwise that's good stuff just too much for my liking having to scroll back and forth to see who has what offer would drive me nuts.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:44 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:BCI just put out a spreadsheet with a big board of BC targets & their offers. You can find it here:

There's a couple guys on there such as Mahalak and Tyrell Smith that don't have offers. As a matter of fact Mahalak doesn't have any offers not sure where he's BC,Miami,and UNC from. Otherwise that's good stuff just too much for my liking having to scroll back and forth to see who has what offer would drive me nuts.

Yeah, I agree the scrolling is annoying. But, aside from that, it's a nice reference.
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:50 am

you can access the spreadsheet itself and eliminate a lot of the scrolling
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:02 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:you can access the spreadsheet itself and eliminate a lot of the scrolling

I did. Still have to scroll. Am I missing something?
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:44 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:This is speculative, but I think the Dazzler is attempting to make use of the recruiting services. This seems smart (One of Schiano's tricks). I think he has opened a lot of information to the Rivals people based on the like 10 articles a day in the last week which is more than you'd get from the Spaz regime in a month in season. Trading access seems like it could potentially have tangible results. These writer people talk to these kids a lot, I'd imagine having them like the school as opposed to think it smells like old people is helpful.

When is EO going to get access?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:48 am

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:
NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:you can access the spreadsheet itself and eliminate a lot of the scrolling

not sure - I can see the info below without scrolling:

* Vertically -from "Marcus Allen" to "Connor Strachan"
* Horizontally - I can see from "Last Name" to "PU"
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:55 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:

not sure - I can see the info below without scrolling:

* Vertically -from "Marcus Allen" to "Connor Strachan"
* Horizontally - I can see from "Last Name" to "PU"

If I zoom out to 50% I can see everything. At normal zoom, I see:

* Vertically - from Marcus Allen to Steven Moss.
*Horizontally - Last Name to UConn.
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium