Wake Forest @ Boston College 2/13

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Wake Forest @ Boston College 2/13

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:12 pm

That's clutch from Rahon.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:14 pm

Like I said... this game should have been a BC beatdown of Wake Forest. It's nice to finally see a clutch win, so I guess it's bittersweet.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Once BC gets down 5 or so the game is basically over since we have no ability to stop anyone

You called it!
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:15 pm

i feel much better now.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:16 pm

real victories > moral victories :cheer :skank :cheer hubba hubba
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:16 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Once BC gets down 5 or so the game is basically over since we have no ability to stop anyone

You called it!

i think he does this intentionally and we should be thanking him.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:17 pm

SJeagle09 {l Wrote}:real victories > moral victories :cheer :skank :cheer hubba hubba

at least some :skank are > or = real victories
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:18 pm

i think we should all be thanking the conte morgue for breaking its shot clock and allowing for the second inbounds play AND tripping CJ Harris on the second to last desperation play.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:18 pm

I believe that was a 10-0 run to end the game or close to it.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby SJeagle09 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:19 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:i think we should all be thanking the conte morgue for breaking its shot clock and allowing for the second inbounds play AND tripping CJ Harris on the second to last desperation play.

the conte ghost took a leak in that spot during the break (can I get a photoshop?)
:pontif
SJeagle09
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:21 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:I believe that was a 10-0 run to end the game or close to it.

it was 63-56 Wake and the game ended 66-63 BC, so yep 10 pts.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:22 pm

SJeagle09 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:i think we should all be thanking the conte morgue for breaking its shot clock and allowing for the second inbounds play AND tripping CJ Harris on the second to last desperation play.

the conte ghost took a leak in that spot during the break (can I get a photoshop?)

that would be outstanding, as would be a GIF of Odio's videogame-esque rejection of Thomas where he trapped the ball.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:32 pm

FYI:
@TedescoHeights
Lonnie Jackson broke a small team rule and that's why he didn't start.

@TedescoHeights
He was late for film essentially, Donahue says of the rule break.

That was some ugly basketball but not in the position to complain about a W
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:32 pm

Nice to see the breaks go BC's way for a change, and even better to see them capitalize on it.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:52 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:FYI:
@TedescoHeights

@TedescoHeights

I'd like to thank the quickest 5 count ever and Wake's coaching staff for that gift.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:53 pm

shout-out to Joe Rahon for playing all 40 minutes. and to Patrick Heckmann for bouncing back after being excluded versus Duke, and having four steals. this would've been a bad loss, nice to see the 'W. the team also shot 85% from the FT line tonight.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby footer20 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:18 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
@TedescoHeights

@TedescoHeights

I'd like to thank the quickest 5 count ever and Wake's coaching staff for that gift.

They showed the replay multiple times. The 5 count was clear, and the ref started late if anything. He finished his fifth stroke, hesitated, and then blew the whistle as Wake called time. The whole occurrence lasted 6 and a half seconds or so. It was a good call. The lucky breaks were the goaltending, and the clock malfunction.
footer20
McGuinn Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:39 pm

Way to show some poise and come back from being down 7 late in the game and win. Not their best game for sure, but they found a way, which to me is a bigger measure for this game then the fact that they did not play as well as they could.

Not sure why/how BC was supposed to throttle Wake Forest. Both teams had similar Scoring Offenses and Scoring Defenses in conference play. Game had some similarities to when these teams matched up the first time, with a game of runs (particularly in the first half) and Wake Forest giving up a lead late (BC came back from double digits down in the 2nd half at Wake to cut it to 1 late). BC "should" win this game at home, but they have not throttled anyone in conference (besides the first 30 minutes vs. Clemson). Would this have been a "bad" loss? In terms of what? Because they should "throttle" Wake Forest? Part of Wake Forest's problem is poise on the road. It's easy to lose your poise when you are on the road, the home team puts a mini run together, and the crowd starts to go crazy. There was no crowd for this game. Wake has been throttled by good teams on the road. BC (and it's Conte Ghosts) are not there yet. This was just as easily a neutral site game.

As for the game....thought Hanlan was forcing a lot of things in the first half, and early in the 2nd when he was driving to the hoop. Passing was sloppy at times, and the ability to make an off-hand layup (Rubin and Jackson both missing bunnies on left handed layups), those things can improve. Defensively, the team needs to buy in and get tough for 40 minutes on the defensive end. They got tough in the final 2 minutes.

The offense has improved from last year to this year by 8 points per game in conference play. BC is averaging 65 PPG this year, which is good for 5th in the conference. 4th place is 6 points ahead of BC, and the top 4 all have winning records in conference. I think the 65 PPG will improve with additional depth and confidence from playing with one another next year. Defensively, though, they are getting worse. 68.2 PPG allowed last year, 70.1 this year. Need to get Clifford healthy and be able to play 30 MPG next year, and get one of the handful of guards to become a defensive stopper on the top opponent.

Overall, nice to see a win tonight. Saturday at Florida State....a lot of similarities to BC on the statistical end. Team has trouble scoring at times, but if the game is close, look out for Michael Snaer, who has 3 buzzer-beating game winners this year already.
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby Mike_S on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:51 pm

Was working at home so saw most of the game, though missed bits and pieces.

Great to get a win, though Wake mostly gave it away in the last 2 minutes. Regardless, it was good to see the clutch offense and free throws on the final few possessions.

It was also easily the best game I've ever seen Heckman play. Few sloppy plays with the ball, a couple of nice passes, and a number of soft shots. I am usually the first to complain about his recklessness on the offensive end, so I have to give it to him -- he had a very good game.

And Odio may never be more than a role player, but until recently I didn't even see him as that. So also props to his improvement and solid play of late.

Wake did a great job defending BC for most of the second half until the very end; if BC can't get open looks from outside they need to make other offensive adjustments sooner.

I know you guys always talk about BC needing another big for next season, and I agree -- but IMO they just don't need a star, just need someone who can really contribute on defense and rebounding. Uka Agbai comes to mind...
Mike_S
Carney Hall

Postby EagleDave on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:27 am

footer20 {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
@TedescoHeights

@TedescoHeights

They showed the replay multiple times. The 5 count was clear, and the ref started late if anything. He finished his fifth stroke, hesitated, and then blew the whistle as Wake called time. The whole occurrence lasted 6 and a half seconds or so. It was a good call. The lucky breaks were the goaltending, and the clock malfunction.

There was nothing fast about the 5 count. The reason everyone was surprised was because it was ONLY a 5 count. Officials almost always anticipate the timeout call when they get to 4 so they slow the count down or almost outright stop it. Good on the official for simply counting to 5...it's not nearly as hard as they make it look.

The goaltend was also correct.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:57 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
SJeagle09 {l Wrote}:

that would be outstanding, as would be a GIF of Odio's videogame-esque rejection of Thomas where he trapped the ball.

Once this paraded out as a prime reason to fire Skins? There was all this talk about lack of fan support and "buzz" surrounding the program. How an active coach... how kids diving for balls... how we took names off the jerseys... how having a coach and players the students can "relate" to... would all bring back the fans. Seems like nothing is a substitute for winning. Which is something D needs to start doing. This W is as good a building block as any.

I generally like Don. Outside of demeanor, he reminds me a bit of Skinner. He has a system and is a good teacher of it. For better or worse, he shows the same dedication/stubborness to it. He is good at identifying talent. However, like Skins, he sucks at landing those kids he evaluates when other majors come in.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:04 am

bluefishskip {l Wrote}:Way to show some poise and come back from being down 7 late in the game and win. Not their best game for sure, but they found a way, which to me is a bigger measure for this game then the fact that they did not play as well as they could.

Not sure why/how BC was supposed to throttle Wake Forest. Both teams had similar Scoring Offenses and Scoring Defenses in conference play. Game had some similarities to when these teams matched up the first time, with a game of runs (particularly in the first half) and Wake Forest giving up a lead late (BC came back from double digits down in the 2nd half at Wake to cut it to 1 late). BC "should" win this game at home, but they have not throttled anyone in conference (besides the first 30 minutes vs. Clemson). Would this have been a "bad" loss? In terms of what? Because they should "throttle" Wake Forest? Part of Wake Forest's problem is poise on the road. It's easy to lose your poise when you are on the road, the home team puts a mini run together, and the crowd starts to go crazy. There was no crowd for this game. Wake has been throttled by good teams on the road. BC (and it's Conte Ghosts) are not there yet. This was just as easily a neutral site game.

I thought this would be a horrible loss based on first) our top guys, Hanlan and Anderson in particular, having bad games against a team I hardly consider to be world beaters talent wise who like us play a lot of underclassman who may be but are not yet really there, but mostly because I think we played pretty poorly, second) bzdelik, third) the away game thing, which is not just crazy fans but also travel, unfamiliarity and i'm sure phsycological[if it wasn't before it will be now]

As for the game....thought Hanlan was forcing a lot of things in the first half, and early in the 2nd when he was driving to the hoop. Passing was sloppy at times, and the ability to make an off-hand layup (Rubin and Jackson both missing bunnies on left handed layups), those things can improve. Defensively, the team needs to buy in and get tough for 40 minutes on the defensive end. They got tough in the final 2 minutes.

hated the passing breakdowns. I liked things about Heckman's being involved in the offense again, but not when he goes back to his Munich style And1 mixed tape BS, and Rahon had some uncharacteristically sloppy passes in what was otherwise a solid game. Danny Rubin infuriates me in all ways.

The offense has improved from last year to this year by 8 points per game in conference play. BC is averaging 65 PPG this year, which is good for 5th in the conference. 4th place is 6 points ahead of BC, and the top 4 all have winning records in conference. I think the 65 PPG will improve with additional depth and confidence from playing with one another next year. Defensively, though, they are getting worse. 68.2 PPG allowed last year, 70.1 this year. Need to get Clifford healthy and be able to play 30 MPG next year, and get one of the handful of guards to become a defensive stopper on the top opponent.

the arc looks just fine to me.

Overall, nice to see a win tonight. Saturday at Florida State....a lot of similarities to BC on the statistical end. Team has trouble scoring at times, but if the game is close, look out for Michael Snaer, who has 3 buzzer-beating game winners this year already.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:09 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:And people wonder why we can't recruit...Jesus christ...most high schools have a better atmosphere.

Most high schools have better teams.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:13 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
SJeagle09 {l Wrote}:

Once this paraded out as a prime reason to fire Skins? There was all this talk about lack of fan support and "buzz" surrounding the program. How an active coach... how kids diving for balls... how we took names off the jerseys... how having a coach and players the students can "relate" to... would all bring back the fans. Seems like nothing is a substitute for winning. Which is something D needs to start doing. This W is as good a building block as any.

I generally like Don. Outside of demeanor, he reminds me a bit of Skinner. He has a system and is a good teacher of it. For better or worse, he shows the same dedication/stubborness to it. He is good at identifying talent. However, like Skins, he sucks at landing those kids he evaluates when other majors come in.

I don't know if attendance was the reason Skinner was fired, it certainly was mentioned here and on the predecessor board. Personally, I no longer believe winning will cure our fan ills. The students suck too much. Just my opinion. Nerds. Also nice strangely thrown race card, you're the coolest.

I don't really see the value in the comparison between the coaches. I like both, they are nearly as opposite as possible in terms of system and in game demeanor but both do seem to be good talent developers, they are both also good at identifying talent.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:13 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:And people wonder why we can't recruit...Jesus christ...most high schools have a better atmosphere.

I'd just like to point out that this is neither good snark nor good analysis. Please aim for at least one if not both in future posts.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:15 am

Mike_S {l Wrote}:I know you guys always talk about BC needing another big for next season, and I agree -- but IMO they just don't need a star, just need someone who can really contribute on defense and rebounding. Uka Agbai comes to mind...

Some of us would go a step further and say that a Tyrelle Blair type would be enough (slight exaggeration).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:15 am

bluefishskip {l Wrote}:Way to show some poise and come back from being down 7 late in the game and win. Not their best game for sure, but they found a way, which to me is a bigger measure for this game then the fact that they did not play as well as they could.

A win is a win, and I will take it, but this team still stinks.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:16 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No, they don't.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:18 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

I'd just like to point out that this is neither good snark nor good analysis. Please aim for at least one if not both in future posts.

You're the expert on bad snark and bad analysis so I will defer to you.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:19 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:

No, they don't.

You have low standards. If they don't stink, they're doing it wrong. 3-8.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum