top 5 most memorable plays in BC football

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: top 5 most memorable plays in BC football

Postby hansen on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:29 pm

Mosi {l Wrote}:top 5

Gordon Kick, next to 10/27/2004 the greatest day of my life
22 to 20
Lane Stadium goes Silent
Neil Greens dash to fame, first play from scrimmage 9/11/1977 (trivia I was married 10 years later on that day, the other 9/11 disaster)
Mike Elias stopping Lam or Jam Jones to save the win same night

:whalepants

what's 10/27... you're divorce?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:32 pm

Here are some that stick out:

Jamie Silva ripping the ball away from Sean Glennon and taking it to the house in the 2007 ACCCG.
Superfan's first kick in the 2006 VT game.
JoLonn Dunbar's forced fumbles in the 2006 Maryland game.
Willie Green's 60 yd TD in the 2001 Syracuse game.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:58 pm

bcshater {l Wrote}:
h2o {l Wrote}:1) Flutie - Phelan
2) Gordon kick
3) Neil Green's 75 yd. run vs Texas 1976 - got into Alumni and came up from under the stands just in time to see him race down the sideline.
4) Kelly Elias stops Texas 2 point conversion with about 4 minutes left to win that 1976 game.
5) Flutie's debut vs Pitt in 1981 - not a play but it was awesome to be there to watch in person. You knew good things were to follow.

Edit: it's a damn shame BC didn't think to save that scoreboard and somehow incorporate it into the rebuild of Alumni to add some history to the place.

Yes Fluties debut against Pitt in 1981. Went to the game also on the spur of the moment with a buddy of mine. Turns out my brother and his wife were 3 rows in back of us with another group. He's comes down to me later and says "Who is this Flutie kid"? Little did we know that many great things were going to happen.

It was PED St
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby h2o on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:28 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:It was PED St

Would you settle on his home debut was vs Pitt?
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:41 pm

Mike McLaughlin going into beast mode and hurdling a Maryland lineman to make the sack.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:54 pm

Another good one (might've been mentioned already)--Herzy pick 6 at Wake in '08.

Great thing about that one was my buddy had loudly and drunkenly announced right before the ball was snapped that he would streak across the field if BC scored a defensive touchdown on the very next play. Herzy came through. My friend, sadly (but fortunately for TRE and his ladyfriend and her son), :spaz2 'd out.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby guru2 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:51 am

Night game at Alumni in I believe 2001 when William Green single handedly killed ND ... I know there was one big run for a TD and another screen that he took to the house.
guru2
Carney Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:19 am

guru2 {l Wrote}:Night game at Alumni in I believe 2001 when William Green single handedly killed ND ... I know there was one big run for a TD and another screen that he took to the house.

It was 2001 and you are right that he had 2 that were 65+ yards - run and a screen. ND had no answer for Green - and he had a lot of rushing yards outside of the 2 big plays - but if I recall correctly he also had a late fumble that allowed ND to have a late shot to win.

Alumni went nuts that night and that game also sealed the demise of Bob Davie as ND coach
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:30 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
Mosi {l Wrote}:top 5

Gordon Kick, next to 10/27/2004 the greatest day of my life
22 to 20
Lane Stadium goes Silent
Neil Greens dash to fame, first play from scrimmage 9/11/1977 (trivia I was married 10 years later on that day, the other 9/11 disaster)
Mike Elias stopping Lam or Jam Jones to save the win same night

:whalepants

what's 10/27... you're divorce?

Red Sox
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:32 am

Chuckie "The Duck of Runningham" Dukes' long run against PED St.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:15 pm

I think someone mention the Will Green run against 'Cuse where he positively trucked the linebacker (it wasn't Bullock, was it Freeney or Clifton Smith maybe?) and then accelerated past a DB (for some reason I think it was Will Allen, but I could be making this up) like he wasn't even moving. He also had an electrifying run or screen pass for like 70 yards against ND that was reminiscent of the screen pass Spiller dropped on us in the Clemson game a few years back - 09? Then there was his performance against Georgia in the Hall of Fame Bowl which was absurd. BC has never seen another athlete like that, except maybe Blackmon.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:26 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think someone mention the Will Green run against 'Cuse where he positively trucked the linebacker (it wasn't Bullock, was it Freeney or Clifton Smith maybe?) and then accelerated past a DB (for some reason I think it was Will Allen, but I could be making this up) like he wasn't even moving..

I was at the Carrier Dome for that game and I'll never forget the old lady 'Cuse fan behind me screaming "Break his leg!" on that run.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:35 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think someone mention the Will Green run against 'Cuse where he positively trucked the linebacker (it wasn't Bullock, was it Freeney or Clifton Smith maybe?) and then accelerated past a DB (for some reason I think it was Will Allen, but I could be making this up) like he wasn't even moving..

I was at the Carrier Dome for that game and I'll never forget the old lady 'Cuse fan behind me screaming "Break his leg!" on that run.

Whichever LB he hit on the first part of that run, I think Green broke his rib cage and spleen.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Supahfan99 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:38 pm

Lots of great memories.

Josh Ott Pick6 against the domers really is an underrated play IMO.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby Onyx Blackman on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:06 pm

Three most memorable plays in Quinton Porter history:

1. Fumbling the snap, picking it up, throwing a pass, catching the deflection, running backwards, getting sacked and fumbling the ball on the final drive against Wake in 2003.

2. Throwing a pick-6 on the first play in the ACC.

3. Shredding that girl's butthole.
Onyx Blackman
Merkert Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think someone mention the Will Green run against 'Cuse where he positively trucked the linebacker (it wasn't Bullock, was it Freeney or Clifton Smith maybe?) and then accelerated past a DB (for some reason I think it was Will Allen, but I could be making this up) like he wasn't even moving. He also had an electrifying run or screen pass for like 70 yards against ND that was reminiscent of the screen pass Spiller dropped on us in the Clemson game a few years back - 09? Then there was his performance against Georgia in the Hall of Fame Bowl which was absurd. BC has never seen another athlete like that, except maybe Blackmon.

That's the Music City Bowl to you.

Someone mentioned it earlier...but Matt Ryan's comeback against Wake Forest in 2005 ranks up there for me. It was a miserable game (i think it was the week after the Buffalo monsoon or something like that). And BC was down by two scores midway through the 4th and people were leaving. By the time :toby brought Ryan in it was almost too late. But he led the team to two TD's including a picture perfect pass to Challenger for the go ahead score.

Of course then in true :toby fashion, BC almost gave it right back when Glasper let someone get behind him. Fortunately :dildodog overthrew his receiver and Wake couldn't come back.

And then :toby started Porter again the next week. :banana :chewbanka :whiteflag
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:30 pm

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I think someone mention the Will Green run against 'Cuse where he positively trucked the linebacker (it wasn't Bullock, was it Freeney or Clifton Smith maybe?) and then accelerated past a DB (for some reason I think it was Will Allen, but I could be making this up) like he wasn't even moving. He also had an electrifying run or screen pass for like 70 yards against ND that was reminiscent of the screen pass Spiller dropped on us in the Clemson game a few years back - 09? Then there was his performance against Georgia in the Hall of Fame Bowl which was absurd. BC has never seen another athlete like that, except maybe Blackmon.

That's the Music City Bowl to you.

Someone mentioned it earlier...but Matt Ryan's comeback against Wake Forest in 2005 ranks up there for me. It was a miserable game (i think it was the week after the Buffalo monsoon or something like that). And BC was down by two scores midway through the 4th and people were leaving. By the time :toby brought Ryan in it was almost too late. But he led the team to two TD's including a picture perfect pass to Challenger for the go ahead score.

Of course then in true :toby fashion, BC almost gave it right back when Glasper let someone get behind him. Fortunately :dildodog overthrew his receiver and Wake couldn't come back.

And then :toby started Porter again the next week. :banana :chewbanka :whiteflag

It's all the same fucking bowl. "the Not a BCS Bowl"

The receiver from Wake wore #82 and effing killed us all day - actually I might have my years wrong - we played them OOC the year before - Willie Idlelette?
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:56 pm

bchockey04 {l Wrote}:

It was Will Blackman then went for the ball, and missed.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:50 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Three most memorable plays in Quinton Porter history:

1. Fumbling the snap, picking it up, throwing a pass, catching the deflection, running backwards, getting sacked and fumbling the ball on the final drive against Wake in 2003.

2. Throwing a pick-6 on the first play in the ACC.

3. Shredding that girl's butthole.

Don't forget, after the Wake game he blamed Matty Ice and all that pressure on his performance.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:30 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:Three most memorable plays in Quinton Porter history:

If I hadn't see this play with my own eyes, I never would have believed It was possible. 2 fumbles and a deflection on the same play? Unreal.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby bchockey04 on Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:59 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
bchockey04 {l Wrote}:

It was Will Blackman then went for the ball, and missed.

The receiver definitely got behind the safety too, and pretty sure that was Glasper.
bchockey04
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:15 am

The Michael Vick scramble on 3rd and long for a 70+ yard TD where he then caught a fan's soda cup that was thrown at him and proceeded to spike it always sticks out in my mind. Undoubtedly one of the greatest individual football plays I've seen in person.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby BC96 on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:36 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:The Michael Vick scramble on 3rd and long for a 70+ yard TD where he then caught a fan's soda cup that was thrown at him and proceeded to spike it always sticks out in my mind. Undoubtedly one of the greatest individual football plays I've seen in person.

I agree with this. I believe that the defense actually stopped them on 3rd down the play before, but a penalty on Tech negated the play.
BC96
Carney Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:54 pm

Onyx Blackman {l Wrote}:2. Throwing a pick-6 on the first play.

matt ryan says "so fucking what"
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hinghameagle on Thu Feb 14, 2013 2:27 pm

it was Glasper and TOB ran 40 yards down the field to scream at him. I was in utter shock as I had never even seen TOB wear a headset on the sideline let alone show any emotion. The only other time I ever saw TOB go on the field was after the Butler /Kiwi play where Al Washington was tossed. TOB was pissed.

Speaking of Kiwi, another underrated play was him running 50 yards downfield right before the half against FSU in the firs ACC game, and knocking the ball out of a running backs hand through the end zone for a touchback. An incredibly athletic play.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:18 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:it was Glasper and TOB ran 40 yards down the field to scream at him. I was in utter shock as I had never even seen TOB wear a headset on the sideline let alone show any emotion. TOB was pissed.

Most emotion I remember ever seeing from the JortedOne. I still think it was Blackman, who was playing WR but but put in as an extra DB for WF's last drive.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby tallsy on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:42 pm

Not :dildodog , Ben Mauk was QB for Wake in 2005. His injury is what Jim Grobe's coaching "genius" rests upon.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby McDeere's Bombardier on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:44 pm

A lot of great (and not so great) memories here.

I'll add Larry Anam's tackle against Maryland (2006?) causing the fumble that Jo Lonn scooped and scored on.
McDeere's Bombardier
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:59 pm

McDeere's Bombardier {l Wrote}:A lot of great (and not so great) memories here.

I'll add Larry Anam's tackle against Maryland (2006?) causing the fumble that Jo Lonn scooped and scored on.

Didn't Dunbar score the first two TDs in that game? On like the first two plays?

I'd also note the Matty Ice pick six on the first play of Jags' first game, followed by another TD and this exchange:

Jags: Loges, we're down 14-0.

Logan: I know, don't worry about it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
McDeere's Bombardier {l Wrote}:A lot of great (and not so great) memories here.

Didn't Dunbar score the first two TDs in that game? On like the first two plays?

Yeah. Can't remember exactly how it went but I want to say he got a pick-6 on the very first play from scrimmage, Maryland got the ball back and got stuffed twice, then on third down Scary Larry blew up the ball carrier and Dunbar recovered the fumble and ran it in. Either way the score was Dunbar 14, Maryland 0 before BC even had an offensive possession. That was also the last home game of the :toby era which was marked by me wearing a BC hockey jersey with "FIRE TOB" written on the back in duct tape.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium