Duke Game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Duke Game

Postby BC923 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:21 pm

The refs were criminally awful, but we still could have won, and should have won. This sucks, but it at least shows what this team is capable of. We could just use another player over 6-7.
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:24 pm

branchinator {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Cook totally undercut Anderson on that last play...

Like he would have hit the FTs. This team continually craps its pants at the end of games. That Rahon shot was absolutely pathetic.

I hate negativity, but this is true. However, this team is sloooooowwwwwwllllllllllllllyyyyyy but surely learning to use their testosterone as opposed to their estrogen.

Also, I liked the chants. I wish Conte was always like tonight.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:34 pm

on that, I am looking forward to the conte ghost being out in full effect wednesday
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Shaddix on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:02 pm

This is what BC is capable of with Clifford in the lineup, really sick of hearing he won't make a big difference.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:04 pm

It was another great effort that gets undone with just terrible end-of-game play. I actually think it has much more to do with coaching than the kids. We get very stagnant and tight as the game ticks below 2 minutes. I seem to recall similar situations that we failed to convert on when Reggie was here. I recall a lot of standing around watching Reggie waiting for him to create.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby GodofBeasts94 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:14 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:It was another great effort that gets undone with just terrible end-of-game play. I actually think it has much more to do with coaching than the kids. We get very stagnant and tight as the game ticks below 2 minutes. I seem to recall similar situations that we failed to convert on when Reggie was here. I recall a lot of standing around watching Reggie waiting for him to create.

This is ridiculous. The Don coached a great game. Good rotations; good timeouts. Had the boys in position to win the game against a top 5 team. Just shut up and accept that players ultimately have to make big shots to win games like these; our Freshman didn't. They will in 3 years -- or maybe even next year. A hell of a lot of fun in Conte tonight. It shows the boys what is possible.....they'll want more of that!
GodofBeasts94
Carney Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:14 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:It was another great effort that gets undone with just terrible end-of-game play. I actually think it has much more to do with coaching than the kids. We get very stagnant and tight as the game ticks below 2 minutes. I seem to recall similar situations that we failed to convert on when Reggie was here. I recall a lot of standing around watching Reggie waiting for him to create.

The only game I remember that happening was Miami that year. And wasn't there a clear no-call in that game?
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:27 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:on that, I am looking forward to the conte ghost being out in full effect wednesday

Yup, it's too bad. Even though there were a ton of Duke fans, the energy was great tonight. The Odio slam off the inbounds pass was unreal and caused a fan eruption that Conte hasn't seen in a couple of years. I looked over and saw Bardo and the play-by-play guy slap hands in celebration it seemed. Not sure what they said on the telecast, but they were pumped after that dunk. It was funny.
Last edited by MilitantEagle on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:35 pm

This is stupid. Donahue coached fine. BC attacked at the end of the game.

Chalk that one up to another moral victory.

Wake is a horrible road team but who knows what BC team shows up
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:56 pm

BTW Caudill with a head injury sustained in practice according to BCI
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:04 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:BTW Caudill with a head injury sustained in practice according to BCI

Wonder if he'll transfer. He never plays anymore.

BC needs to sign one more guard. Lonnie America East Jackson reared his ugly head tonight. Kid is wildly inconsistent.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:07 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:BTW Caudill with a head injury sustained in practice according to BCI

Wonder if he'll transfer. He never plays anymore.

BC needs to sign one more guard. Lonnie America East Jackson reared his ugly head tonight. Kid is wildly inconsistent.

This is where Jorgenson or Severe comes in...

Lonnie was on a tear at the beginning of ACC season, but he's cooled since then.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:15 pm

Holy crap... I'm being complimentary and you guys blast me? It ain't any sort of secret that Don has a shot-ton more close losses than close wins. This year, we've also converted a lot of late leads into losses. I think it all goes to the same coaching problem... at the end of the game, the team spends too much time worrying about the clock instead of scoring.

Btw, I'm really fucking sick and tired of the same two lame excuses that are trotted out every loss (a) the refs sucked and (b) freshmen mistakes. They are both pathetic and usually wrong.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Holy crap... I'm being complimentary and you guys blast me? It ain't any sort of secret that Don has a shot-ton more close losses than close wins. This year, we've also converted a lot of late leads into losses. I think it all goes to the same coaching problem... at the end of the game, the team spends too much time worrying about the clock instead of scoring.

Btw, I'm really fucking sick and tired of the same two lame excuses that are trotted out every loss (a) the refs sucked and (b) freshmen mistakes. They are both pathetic and usually wrong.

I think the Don has done a pretty good job with in game coaching this year. Not his fault his players can't seem to make shots. Hanlan should have made that shot, he got himself free and open. He also should have hit that free throw to tie Miami.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:32 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Holy crap... I'm being complimentary and you guys blast me? It ain't any sort of secret that Don has a shot-ton more close losses than close wins. This year, we've also converted a lot of late leads into losses. I think it all goes to the same coaching problem... at the end of the game, the team spends too much time worrying about the clock instead of scoring.

I think the Don has done a pretty good job with in game coaching this year. Not his fault his players can't seem to make shots. Hanlan should have made that shot, he got himself free and open. He also should have hit that free throw to tie Miami.

First, I prefer to have the ball in Anderson's hands than the frosh. Second, when we have the lead at the end d the game, our offense is radically different. It's a lot of standing around, burning the shot clock. Those offensive sets don't resemble anything like what we do up until that point. And, let's remember that the Miami game was because he missed the 3rd FT, we are talking a complete collapse in the final minutes... the symptom of which I am bringing up.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

First, I prefer to have the ball in Anderson's hands than the frosh. Second, when we have the lead at the end d the game, our offense is radically different. It's a lot of standing around, burning the shot clock. Those offensive sets don't resemble anything like what we do up until that point. And, let's remember that the Miami game was because he missed the 3rd FT, we are talking a complete collapse in the final minutes... the symptom of which I am bringing up.

The Duke game wasn't a collapse, we played them hard till the very last shot. In fact, Anderson should have gotten tot he free throw line.

Oh and you may want it in Anderson's hands at the end, but chances are he will settle for a terrible jump shot that he's developed this year. If you want to see a stale offense, run it through his hands. He needs Clifford on the floor to be productive against a great team like that.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Iggle on Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:59 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

eh, I wanted to respond to this but it doesn't sound like you actually watched this one
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:18 am

Iggle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

eh, I wanted to respond to this but it doesn't sound like you actually watched this one

We didn't score a single fucking point in the last 2:15 of the game. Our last field goal was with 3:23 remaining. Pull up ESPN3 and watch the last 9 minutes. Tell me the offense we ran until the 3:00 mark was the same we closed the game with.

The fact that we again played and not-to-lose again at the end of the game doesn't mean that it wasn't an excellent game (coaches and players up until that time).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:38 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

We didn't score a single fucking point in the last 2:15 of the game. Our last field goal was with 3:23 remaining. Pull up ESPN3 and watch the last 9 minutes. Tell me the offense we ran until the 3:00 mark was the same we closed the game with.

The fact that we again played and not-to-lose again at the end of the game doesn't mean that it wasn't an excellent game (coaches and players up until that time).

2:15 is not a long period of time
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Ahzeem on Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:09 am

Yowasu mentionedThe[qforuote="Shaddix"]
HJS {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:[quobalfisShaddideI oentiax"]rjay32 guess
HJS {l Wrote}:Holthemy crapstrategy... I being complimentarityitand you guys blast me? It aspreadih e game ' anNB gy sort of secret that Don has a shot-to closcan'tosses t clerose wiby tnleft. s. This year, we've hurtlso converted a lot of lateNJ v leads intcannoto losses. I think i all goes to the same coachinI'llg Benre nblem... at the end of the game, the team spends too much tim worrying about the clock instead of scoring. 1

Btw, I'm really fucking sis and tireed of the same two lame excuses that are trotted out every loss (a) the refs sucked and (b) freshmen mi 8stakes. They are both pathetic and usually wrong.

I think the Don has done a pretty good job with in game coaching this year. Not his fault his players can't seem to make shots. Hanlan should have made that shot, he got himself free and open. He also should have hit that free throw to tie M 8iami.

First, I prefer to have the ball in Anderson's hands than the frosh. Second, when we

have the lead at the end d the game, our offense is radically different. It's a lot of
standing around, burning the shot clock. Those offensive sets don't resemble anything like what we do up until that point. And, let's remember that the Miami game was because he missed the 3rd FT, we are talking a complete collapse in the final minutes... the symptom of which I am bringing up.[/quote

:popcorn I was at the game last night and here is my take.

I was at the game tonight and the same thing happens at the end of every game. Guards get selfish, they just refuse to pass. Hanlon had Anderson on the block with a smaller guard on him and decided to take his man off the dribble and he also rarely makes a pass to a cutter or roll guy going to his left.
I'm not blaming them for being freshman, I'm saying that's just bad basketball and th1e issue needs to get fixed. You can't really blame coaching, they have a good scheme, with multiple options; late in the rota tion the guards opt to call there own number instead of giving up the ball. Check the tapes, at the end of each game who ever brought the ball across halfcourt also took the shot. I am convinced Hanlon does not look left. If anyone can show me 10x... heck I'll even go 5x Hanlon has made the pass to the left on that pick and roll I'll buy you a beer at the Wake gam ednesday night.
Ahzeem
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:27 am

The fact people complain about the refs while playing Duke is crazy. You know you're not going to get the calls. Cook/Thornton probably committed 15 combined fouls and Plumlee travels the entire game.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby JimDog90 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:37 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The fact people complain about the refs while playing Duke is crazy. You know you're not going to get the calls. Cook/Thornton probably committed 15 combined fouls and Plumlee travels the entire game.

This looked to be a Big East crew...and the game was called like one (rugby style). BC was doing it's fair share of grabbing and shoving on defense while contesting shots and blocking out, as was Duke hand-checking all over the place- so both teams adapted. Anderson was undercut on that last play, but anything short of a flagrant is not going to be called at that point -and that's iffy...
As for the last play, I didn't think it came down to coaching, but execution. Seemed like there was miscommunication at that start (I blame the players for that- inexperience in "big game" situations), and then Duke did a nice job defending that first screen, forcing Hanlan away from the basket...at that point the play had broken down. Hanlan was on his own, and maybe took a little too much time to react and then take it to the basket, but he'll learn- at least I hope he does.
Hanlan showed today and in the Miami game that he is the best hope for the future of the program. Anderson has a chance to be good, too, but has to improve his shooting (esp. FT's). I like Lo-Jack and Rahon, but look how their offense nose-dives against the really top teams in the ACC-see recent games against Miami & NC, too. They just don't have the ability to get a shot off, or at least draw a foul, the way Hanlan does.
JimDog90
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:49 am

Anderson and Hanlan are an awesome combination. The players around them need to show up. Odio and Clifford played nicely yesterday. The rest didnt. Rahon was okay also.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:15 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Anderson and Hanlan are an awesome combination. The players around them need to show up. Odio and Clifford played nicely yesterday. The rest didnt. Rahon was okay also.

Agreed and saw yesterday what Clifford can do for Anderson (mainly not having to match up with someone that outweighs him by 40+)

I just don't know how much you can expect from the others, they are what they are at this stage outside of Rahon. Odio is an energy guy that should be playing 10-15 minutes (which is a huge step up from where he was). Btw in his postgame Donahue said Odio has put on 20 lbs and has 20 more to go. Jackson is a spot up shooter that should be around 20.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:05 am

GodofBeasts94 {l Wrote}:

This is ridiculous. The Don coached a great game. Good rotations; good timeouts. Had the boys in position to win the game against a top 5 team. Just shut up and accept that players ultimately have to make big shots to win games like these; our Freshman didn't. They will in 3 years -- or maybe even next year. A hell of a lot of fun in Conte tonight. It shows the boys what is possible.....they'll want more of that!

Bullshit. That was a horrible last 5 minutes of coaching. Just awful.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:07 am

If Odio puts on 20 lbs and doesn't loos athleticism he can be a really nice player, he's already solidly in the worth a scholarship category I was very wrong about that. Clifford's cortisone shot seemed to work, I don't know how long term of a solution that is but it is nice to see that something works.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:07 am

Iggle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

I watched it, he's right. They sat on a lead again, this time 5 points with 2:15 to go.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:08 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

2:15 is not a long period of time

Long enough to lose a 5 point lead.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:18 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

I watched it, he's right. They sat on a lead again, this time 5 points with 2:15 to go.

Do you agree that you'd rather have the ball in Anderson's hands at that point?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:26 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
Iggle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Do you agree that you'd rather have the ball in Anderson's hands at that point?

Usually, but last night was Hanlan's game. Anderson played well, but I liked letting Hanlan take the last shot. Bardo was right though, he waited too long, and that's the last thing the coach should have told him on the way out of the huddle.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum