Will BC survive the Canes?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Will BC survive the Canes?

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:02 pm

guiltyparticipant {l Wrote}:
TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
guiltyparticipant {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Tedwardo, will the weirdos count this as a moral victory?

THIS IS IMPORTANT!

Maybe we should add a 3 column to bc's record ala hockey...wins-losses-moral victories

10-6-5 and on the bubble baby!

I think the important thing is to keep reminding everybody how few ACC players there are on the team.

Its also important to remember that the following things are unacceptable excuses and/or explanations, which show message board small dickery: a) injuries, especially to the only legitimate center on the team; provided that if the injury is mentioned it must be in the context of a recruiting failure to find more than one ACC starter quality big man in two recruiting classes; further provided that it is essential to ignore the aforesaid injured centers freshman year in its entirety or to selectively remember it and to comment that he lacks offensive capabilities generally because he lacks such capabilities when he is injured; b) 95% of scoring from players in their sophomore year and below; provided that is important when rejecting this excuse to be sure to point out that all past improvements of players from class to class are irrelevant because none of the freshman are as good as Troy Bell was a freshman; c) that the trajectory of this team is essentially on course with other recent BC teams from a tournament reaching perspective.

this post pretty much tips your real identity. hopefully it was a case of mistaken unlogoutedness

Wasn't it already pretty obvious. I'm just gearing up for my Campion/bigpete/talon/huang stage of posting.

its not lent (yet)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby gaelfu on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:20 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
gaelfu {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
gaelfu {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Miami is a bad matchup for BC on paper. On a basketball court, not so much. As epstein says, Miami is the kind of dumbass team with jacking guards that BC's style frustrates the shit out of, just like Clemson.

If Miami pumps it in the post every possession, it's a bad matchup. But they won't.

I don't buy this analysis. Miami's guards are better shooters and much better players than Clemson's guards. Larkin has been great this year and is shooting 41% from three. Jones shoots 37% from three. Miami also takes a lot less 3s than we do on the whole.

Scott fits the description, but not enough to mitigate the advantages they have across the board everywhere else.

There's no need to fellate the opposition just for the hell of it, but in this case I don't think you guys give enough credit to how good the team is we're going up against. They, along with Duke, are the class of the ACC this year.

A. Them being better than Clemson is irrelevant to my point, and undisputed.

B. You citing 3-point percentages makes my point quite nicely, thanks.

Perhaps I am not as smart as you, but I do not follow:

A. Miami does not shoot an ungodly amount of 3 point attempts. Therefore, they are not Clemson style in that they don't fit the mold of a dumbass team with jacking guards. I agree that they are better than Clemson and that their guards are better than Clemson's guards.

B. Just because someone shoots a high percentage from the 3 point line doesn't mean they jack a lot of threes. In fact, if you take a lot of threes, it's harder to make them.

Miami is a pretty well balanced and experienced team that plays great defense and has size. We are also on the road. Therefore, I see a tough matchup.

Miami is undoubtedly better than Clemson, especially at guard. The comparison to Clemson was based on the obvious style similarities between the two teams that were clearly demonstrated in the two games BC played against them - each got frustrated, used a lot of clock, and took a lot of bad shots. When they went down in bunches, they scored, otherwise, neither team did much. Clemson actually made a concerted effort to go inside after Brownell had opportunities to talk to them on the sidelines, but that went by the wayside after a couple of possessions each time.

Miami is, however, a team with guards that like to shoot a lot, too much given their size advantage. Their two leading scorers are a chucker (Scott) and a 6'11'' guy that thinks he is a three point shooter (Kadji). Scott, Larkin, Kadji and Jones (3 guards and a perimeter power forward) have taken 745 of the team's 1101 field goal attempts, 300 of which are 3s. Add in 118 shots from Brown (71 of which are threes). That means guards and Kadji take 78% of the team's shots, and 38% of the team's shots are threes.

This is the sole reason that BC was in the last game. It is the reason BC will be in this game.

Outside of Jones, who has taken slightly more 3s than 2s, the other 3 players you mentioned have all taken significantly more 2s than 3s.

Regardless, I wish I shared your optimism for tonight's game. I hope you are right and that we keep it close or even somehow manage to pull off the upset. I won't be holding my breath however.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 2:28 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
gaelfu {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
gaelfu {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:Miami is a bad matchup for BC on paper. On a basketball court, not so much. As epstein says, Miami is the kind of dumbass team with jacking guards that BC's style frustrates the shit out of, just like Clemson.

If Miami pumps it in the post every possession, it's a bad matchup. But they won't.

I don't buy this analysis. Miami's guards are better shooters and much better players than Clemson's guards. Larkin has been great this year and is shooting 41% from three. Jones shoots 37% from three. Miami also takes a lot less 3s than we do on the whole.

Scott fits the description, but not enough to mitigate the advantages they have across the board everywhere else.

There's no need to fellate the opposition just for the hell of it, but in this case I don't think you guys give enough credit to how good the team is we're going up against. They, along with Duke, are the class of the ACC this year.

A. Them being better than Clemson is irrelevant to my point, and undisputed.

B. You citing 3-point percentages makes my point quite nicely, thanks.

Perhaps I am not as smart as you, but I do not follow:

A. Miami does not shoot an ungodly amount of 3 point attempts. Therefore, they are not Clemson style in that they don't fit the mold of a dumbass team with jacking guards. I agree that they are better than Clemson and that their guards are better than Clemson's guards.

B. Just because someone shoots a high percentage from the 3 point line doesn't mean they jack a lot of threes. In fact, if you take a lot of threes, it's harder to make them.

Miami is a pretty well balanced and experienced team that plays great defense and has size. We are also on the road. Therefore, I see a tough matchup.

Miami is undoubtedly better than Clemson, especially at guard. The comparison to Clemson was based on the obvious style similarities between the two teams that were clearly demonstrated in the two games BC played against them - each got frustrated, used a lot of clock, and took a lot of bad shots. When they went down in bunches, they scored, otherwise, neither team did much. Clemson actually made a concerted effort to go inside after Brownell had opportunities to talk to them on the sidelines, but that went by the wayside after a couple of possessions each time.

Miami is, however, a team with guards that like to shoot a lot, too much given their size advantage. Their two leading scorers are a chucker (Scott) and a 6'11'' guy that thinks he is a three point shooter (Kadji). Scott, Larkin, Kadji and Jones (3 guards and a perimeter power forward) have taken 745 of the team's 1101 field goal attempts, 300 of which are 3s. Add in 118 shots from Brown (71 of which are threes). That means guards and Kadji take 78% of the team's shots, and 38% of the team's shots are threes.

This is the sole reason that BC was in the last game. It is the reason BC will be in this game.

Outside of Jones, who has taken slightly more 3s than 2s, the other 3 players you mentioned have all taken significantly more 2s than 3s.

Regardless, I wish I shared your optimism for tonight's game. I hope you are right and that we keep it close or even somehow manage to pull off the upset. I won't be holding my breath however.

60% of Brown's 118 shots are 3s. Regardless, it is still perimeter shooting. 2s from guards are not using Miami's advantage, which is inside. I'll grant you some of those 2s are fast break points, but Scott has proven he will chuck from anywhere, including from 13 feet, 16 feet, 19 feet, 23 feet .... And Kadji couldn't find the paint with a compass. If Miami is hot or somehow discovers the big dudes in the interior of the lane, yes BC will get blown out. But the stats say Miami hasn't done that all year, and they certainly didn't pump it inside against BC.

I'm not optimistic. I'm not a believer in moral victories. I predicted a close loss, just like when they played this team a few weeks ago, which I felt was a pretty indicative score for the way these two teams play. I also don't think this team is capable of winning close games, and they won't get up big on Miami as they did with Clemson.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:10 pm

I think BC absolutely has the ability to win close games. The more of them they play the better the ability will be
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby gaelfu on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:12 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I think BC absolutely has the ability to win close games. The more of them they play the better the ability will be

Quite a change in tune from the 1-17 predictions of a week ago :lol:
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:12 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:I think BC absolutely has the ability to win close games. The more of them they play the better the ability will be

this isn't their year. we knew last year was going to suck. this year doesn't suck quite as bad (they are actually IN the majority of their games) but going 14-16 (probably where they will wind up) still sucks.

that said, I don't think next year will suck. the 2013-2014 season, they win 18+ (provided they go 10-2 in the first 12, all OOC.)
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:52 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:

Can, not will
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:10 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
gaelfu {l Wrote}:

Can, not will

Eh, you're saying the same thing as me then.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby joesim on Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:58 pm

games blacked out
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:01 pm

Less Dan McDourmit would be good...
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:03 pm

Kenny Kadji + Reggie Johnson = uh oh.

we hung tough last time. add a very good player in Johnson and move the game a couple thousand miles south, and we've got a different game. go get'm, Eagles.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby NJM89 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:04 pm

joesim {l Wrote}:games blacked out

NESN
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:09 pm

"It's hard to get up for Boston College" awesome
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:13 pm

Anderson jumpers and Odio 3s are horrible shots
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:14 pm

I dig our guard play. Anderson is playing like a bitch. I wonder if the Steve will think after this game, "hmm, maybe we do need bigs..."
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:17 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I dig our guard play. Anderson is playing like a bitch. I wonder if the Steve will think after this game, "hmm, maybe we do need bigs..."

He just needs to stop shooting jumpers.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:19 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:I dig our guard play. Anderson is playing like a bitch. I wonder if the Steve will think after this game, "hmm, maybe we do need bigs..."

He just needs to stop shooting jumpers.

I disagree eep, he just needs to make them.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby gaelfu on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:28 pm

Just getting murdered on the glass.
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 pm

holy shit, Jekiri is an absolute tower. these bigs are ridiculous, and they have good guards too. this team is very good.

I've got the quote of the year for steve: "big and experienced beats small and inexperienced."
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby MilitantEagle on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:31 pm

I am going to say, no, BC will not survive the Canes. Has anybody mentioned that BC needs a big?
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby gaelfu on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:34 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:holy shit, Jekiri is an absolute tower. these bigs are ridiculous, and they have good guards too. this team is very good.

I've got the quote of the year for steve: "big and experienced beats small and inexperienced."

Since the Kelly injury for Duke, Miami has been the best team in the ACC. It's unreasonable for this team, as inexperienced and thin as it is, to go on the road and be expected to compete for 40 minutes.
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:40 pm

Odio vs johnson is funny to watch.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:40 pm

What about 10 minutes?

Edit: I was told to stop complaining about Donahue getting a big as the hoops weirdos say Donahue is on it
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby gaelfu on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:48 pm

that's a bullshit call on odio
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:53 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:that's a bullshit call on odio

What happened there?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby gaelfu on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:58 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

What happened there?

He was trying to box out Johnson, given the size disparity, Johnson moved him more than he moved Johnson, and Odio got hit with the foul.

I am not unhappy with where we're at after the 25-10 run to start the game by Miami. We need to get the bigs their 3rd and 4th fouls asap. If we aren't dumping the ball to Anderson early and often trying to get these guys in foul trouble, then Don fucked up with his halftime adjustments.
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:59 pm

This is all about rebounds. 22-9 Miami. BC is lucky to only be down 10
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:05 pm

gaelfu {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

What happened there?

He was trying to box out Johnson, given the size disparity, Johnson moved him more than he moved Johnson, and Odio got hit with the foul.

I am not unhappy with where we're at after the 25-10 run to start the game by Miami. We need to get the bigs their 3rd and 4th fouls asap. If we aren't dumping the ball to Anderson early and often trying to get these guys in foul trouble, then Don fucked up with his halftime adjustments.

Gotcha. Thanks.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:08 pm

First 4 minutes is key here