Football Townhall with Bates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Football Townhall with Bates

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:21 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Ask him which 10 celebrities he thinks will die this year.

Endless Mike is on a roll. :kudos
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:23 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Ask him if BC is moving to the Big 10.

Actually... you could ask...

"Fr. Leahy has said that there will ultimately be 4 conferences composed of 64 teams... which conference do you think will disappear? How certain are you BC will be included in one of those 4 conferences?"
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:25 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:What do you think of a head coach who tries to ruin kids' draft stock if they decide to leave early for the NFL???
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... y/1882631/

This does not sound like someone who cares about "student development," contrary to what we were told multiple times during the press conference.

Who will be Addazio's Ryan Glasper?

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:30 pm

I call it "HJS and His Bizzaro Merryman Taint-Licker Find a New DeFillipo"
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Feb 01, 2013 4:34 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Endless Mike {l Wrote}:Ask him which 10 celebrities he thinks will die this year.

Thanks. I usually hit my stride around this time on Friday.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:38 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:

Thanks. I usually hit my stride around this time on Friday.

Are you related to Edward Aronson?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:43 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Image

Your initial reaction to this hire was disgust and outrage, too. I don't know why you decided to question your instincts.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Some strong work in this thread Mike
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:30 pm

The canary saved this sharttastic thread. Strong work, weinermobile
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:57 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Image

Your initial reaction to this hire was disgust and outrage, too. I don't know why you decided to question your instincts.

Found out things.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Mosi on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:26 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:I'll be there, any specific questions that weren't asked the first time?

My fear is that I slip up and call the coach, addaziani (though inaccurate, it's hilarious)

The minion at every table should be fun

The possibility of pay-per gaming parking within walking distance of Alumni.

Will the 30 minute ruling continue?

funny thing is that is exactly a question that I was planning on asking
"Felgie, you Kenmore Kommunity Kollege Eurotrash prettyboy, you're right about one thing, I'm a BC guy and my shit dosen't stink" Mosi on the whiner line 3/23/04
Mosi
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Thought it was pretty good, format first, then what was asked:

1) Bates welcomed, thanks for coming out spoke to enthusiasm from season ticket holders as both events sold out extremely quickly. Then said Addazio was here and will talk for a little
2) Addazio spoke, thrilled to be HC, talked about the strong roots of BC, went through all the coaches their roles & a little on their recruiting territories. Talked about his philosophy (same thing as his presser) and then opened it up for Q&A for about 30 minutes
3) Bates took questions for about an hour
4) Each table had an AD employee where we discussed other problems.

First, some people love hearing themselves talk and ask stupid questions.

Q's For Addazio:
Asked about mobile QBs:
He's clearly either heard this as a concern or reads the nexus. Said he'll fit his scheme around his players. Talked about how they have a very good QB here and his job is to build off players skills. Then talked about his idea QB having some mobility. Didn't explicitly point to but clearly referenced Boyle's coaches statement, said a mobile QB doesn't necessarily mean 5/10/20 runs but means it's an option. Above all else he wants a QB w "it", and "it" can come from very different types of QBs, Flutie vs. Ryan.

Several recruiting:
Asked about being ranked 13 of 14 in ACC recruiting:
First said don't read too much into the ratings, talked about the Pounceys being 2 stars. But we're looking for elite players who will be at BC for the right reasons (aka not purely a stepping stone to NFL). Said we're honoring all of our commits.

Number of scholarships:
Very fluid, has numbers in mind but after Spring Practice, as with any coaching change, some might realize it isn't for them

Recruiting PA & big OL:
Odd on the PA discussion but bled into philosophy on OL. Bigger doesn't mean better with OL. With speed rushers in ACC need athletic tackles. Now our guys won't be 270 but they might come in that way and grow.

Ultimately said his first job is to recruit, recruit, recruit

Asked about pass rush:
Said we will not be a bend/don't break D which made me chuckle. Pass rush can come from scheme or skill (simply lining up & beating your man). Says it will also means you're little more exposed on the back end (cover 1 versus cover 2).

Bates was more absorbing info than answering Qs:
On tailgating:
Almost impossible to get on campus, set up tailgate, tailgate, pack up and get into stadium on time. Funny, talked about how tailgating was main reason to go to BC games last couple of years
Ridiculous shea rules that make no sense: no reentry, waiting 30 minutes, no bringing drinks on/off
One :whalepants said, "something I'm more concerned with is more hours = more drunks" :81 and referred to 30s as suitcases

Gameday:
Inaccessibility to campus was huge. How does a family get to BC if they can't take public transportation?

In stadium:
Bathrooms in upper deck
filling in corners (Bates talked about demand versus building)
someone wants to make the whalepants area more exclusive with ushers, concession people (wanted to yell DOWN IN FRONT!)

Overall:
6 home games will not happen again
Thought of trying to avoid Labor Day weekend games
Community outreach, sidewalk alums -was asked by NU alum (could've been nospace)

Dumb Qs:
longer tailgating hours = more drunks
bc doesn't admit all legacy -wtf
"fireworks that don't go boom" (that is a quote, apparently there was no accompanying sound with the fireworks and it was due to a noise issue)
apparently the band songs suck and the band geeks don't like playing them
when are we allowing visiting bands in?

I'm obviously missing stuff so feel free to add...
Last edited by claver2010 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:20 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Thought it was pretty good, format first, then what was asked:

1) Bates welcomed, thanks for coming out spoke to enthusiasm from season ticket holders as both events sold out extremely quickly. Then said Addazio was here and will talk for a little
2) Addazio spoke, thrilled to be HC, talked about the strong roots of BC, went through all the coaches their roles & a little on their recruiting territories. Talked about his philosophy (same thing as his presser) and then opened it up for Q&A for about 30 minutes
3) Bates took questions for about an hour
4) Each table had an AD employee where we discussed other problems.

First, some people love hearing themselves talk and ask stupid questions.

Q's For Addazio:
Asked about mobile QBs:
He's clearly either heard this as a concern or reads the nexus. Said he'll fit his scheme around his players. Talked about how they have a very good QB here. Then talked about his idea QB having some mobility. Didn't allude to Boyle's coaches statement, said a mobile QB doesn't necessarily mean 5/10/20 runs but means it's an option. Above all else he wants a QB w "it", and "it" can come from very different types of QBs, Flutie vs. Ryan.

Several recruiting:
Asked about being ranked 13 of 14 in ACC recruiting:
First said don't read too much into the ratings, talked about the Pounceys being 2 stars. But we're looking for elite players who will be at BC for the right reasons (aka not purely a stepping stone to NFL). Said we're honoring all of our commits.

Number of scholarships:
Very fluid, has numbers in mind but after Spring Practice, as with any coaching change, some might realize it isn't for them

Recruiting PA & big OL:
Odd on the PA discussion but bled into philosophy on OL. Bigger doesn't mean better with OL. With speed rushers in ACC need athletic tackles. Now our guys won't be 270 but they might come in that way and grow.

Ultimately said his first job is to recruit, recruit, recruit

Asked about pass rush:
Said we will not be a bend/don't break D which made me chuckle. Pass rush can come from scheme or skill (simply lining up & beating your man). Says it will also means you're little more exposed on the back end (cover 1 versus cover 2).

Bates was more absorbing info than answering Qs:
On tailgating:
Almost impossible to get on campus, set up tailgate, tailgate, pack up and get into stadium on time. Funny, talked about how tailgating was main reason to go to BC games last couple of years
Ridiculous shea rules that make no sense: no reentry, waiting 30 minutes, no bringing drinks on/off
One :whalepants said, "something I'm more concerned with is more hours = more drunks" :81 and referred to 30s as suitcases

Gameday:
Inaccessibility to campus was huge. How does a family get to BC if they can't take public transportation?

In stadium:
Bathrooms in upper deck
filling in corners (Bates talked about demand versus building)
someone wants to make the whalepants area more exclusive with ushers, concession people (wanted to yell DOWN IN FRONT!)

Overall:
6 home games will not happen again
Community outreach, sidewalk alums -was asked by NU alum (could've been nospace)

Dumb Qs:
longer tailgating hours = more drunks
bc doesn't admit all legacy -wtf
"fireworks that don't go boom" (that is a quote, apparently there was no accompanying sound with the fireworks and it was due to a noise issue)
apparently the band songs suck and the band geeks don't like playing them
when are we allowing visiting bands in?

I'm obviously missing stuff so feel free to add...

Seems to me that Bates has minions reading the nexus. I wouldn't be surprised if some of that info even filtered down to Daziani as he seemed to be aware of the Boyle situation based on your summary.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Iggle on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Wait, someone complained that BC doesn't admit all legacy kids?
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby TontoKowalski on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:32 pm

It was probably 81. I guess the admissions director has nexus minions, too.
TontoKowalski
Merkert Hall

Postby h2o on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:43 pm

A Bates minion must have seen my complaint posted here about Dazoo not being at the first Town Hall meeting.

If anyone thinks drastic improvements will be made in regards to access to the main campus or a reduction in DBS fees, etc. you are kidding yourself. The one biggest improvement to gameday experience is to allow tailgating on the Brighton campus. To appease the neighbors, don't allow grills. But you have to let your loyal fans and donors, who PAY A FEE to park there, set up a table with a nice spread of food and some booze and let them socialize for two or three hours before the game and an hours or so after. That is doable and BC should allow it.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:20 pm

Iggle {l Wrote}:Wait, someone complained that BC doesn't admit all legacy kids?

I don't remember that exact way it was phrased but someone essentially said BC is having trouble selling out because admission is too hard and not enough legacies are admitted.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby h2o on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:28 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:

I don't remember that exact way it was phrased but someone essentially said BC is having trouble selling out because admission is too hard and not enough legacies are admitted.

Probably a local who got in years ago because he was a legacy but who's kid was too stupid to get in now. If that's the case, the apple didn't fall far from the tree.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:29 pm

Wow, glad to hear he understands this. Was this in response to a question?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:29 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:

my favorite was that old guy going nuts on the band so randomly. literally said what they play sucks etc.

also, some dumbass asked bates why we dont allow visiting bands anymore? wtf?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:30 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

yeah, one guy killed him for all the sat labor day games.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:31 pm

there were lurkers all over the place btw...you could tell from the questions.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:32 pm

also, for hjs, it seemed VERY apparent to me that daziani is here to run the ball.

i will say i gave him credit for saying "we will NOT be a bend but dont break defense"

also, it seemed very clear we will be having multiple defections before the season. ive heard directly from players (and recent grads) that his practices & the whole football experience is extremely extremely intense.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:34 pm

From a poster on TOS:
Addazio said practices would be open - said something to the effect of "it's not like I'm curing cancer here. You might hear some language you don't like though."

Glad to hear. What was Jags' policy? :toby actually had 2 or 3 people patrolling the perimeter.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby AdamBC on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:43 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Yes, someone complained that the Labor Day weekend games imposed on his use of his cape home.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby h2o on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:43 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:ive heard directly from players (and recent grads) that his practices & the whole football experience is extremely extremely intense.

Good.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:46 pm

AdamBC {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Yes, someone complained that the Labor Day weekend games imposed on his use of his cape home.

hes dead serious.
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby 31southst on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:50 pm

commavegarage {l Wrote}:also, for hjs, it seemed VERY apparent to me that daziani is here to run the ball.

i will say i gave him credit for saying "we will NOT be a bend but dont break defense"

also, it seemed very clear we will be having multiple defections before the season. ive heard directly from players (and recent grads) that his practices & the whole football experience is extremely extremely intense.

Did anyone think Daz was a touch offended by the recruiting QBs to his style of offense question? Sounded to me like he knew it was a reference to Boyle.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:55 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:

there were several questions/comments where there was a definite undercurrent of: :oldman in my day there were all sullys from southie and played holy cross

as for boyle, I think his answer was definitely was in reference to the comment made regarding his QBs running
Last edited by claver2010 on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby commavegarage on Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:58 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:also, for hjs, it seemed VERY apparent to me that daziani is here to run the ball.

Did anyone think Daz was a touch offended by the recruiting QBs to his style of offense question? Sounded to me like he knew it was a reference to Boyle.

im sure he did and im sure he was.

while there were your typical dumbass questions, i was pleasantly surprised by the level of questions. some were pretty tough
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium