Addazio's Offenses

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Addazio's Offenses

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:36 am

As always, Addazio wasn't even on my list in terms of guys I wanted for this job, but since he's here I'd like to know what I should and should not be freaking out about. Specifically, we keep hearing about the Temple - service academy offense, but is this what Addazio wants or was it catering to personnel (the running back who is currently usurping Ray Rice's job in the NFL and our own Montel Harris)?

Florida:

First, I have read I believe mostly on TOS, that Addazio was "canned/fired/tossed out" at UF. It should be obvious, but is still worth mentioning that Meyer had his "health" issues in 2010 and quit after the season. Muschamp didn't bring Addazio back. That really shouldn't be surprising and is frankly indicative of little at best.

Since we can't go back and watch two seasons of Gators football, nor would I want to, I think there is some value in two separate statistical comparisons, I welcome challenges to this extremely unscientific comparison but it makes some sense to me:

2008 vs. 2009 Mullen vs. Addazio
The offensive roster for Mullen's last offense, the national championship 2008 UF team, had Tebow at QB, Harvin at RB/WR, Demps at RB, Louis Murphy as WR1 (since Harvin is hard to define positionally) Rainey in slot, and Aaron Hernandez at TE.

The offensive roster for Addazio's first offense, the one loss (to NC bama) 2009 UF team that beat the shit out of cinci in the sugar bowl, had had Tebow at QB, NO Harvin at RB/WR, Demps at RB, Riley Cooper as WR1 Rainey in slot, and Aaron Hernandez at TE. (Also Tebow got a concussion and missed two games)

I don't think anyone who even vaguely remembers these teams will argue that having Harvin makes up for any other differences.

the run/pass splits are my focus due to the contention that Addazio = Paul Johnson allegations: 2008: 329 passes/545 rushes = Mullen called runs 62% of plays; 2009: 364 passes/555 rushes = Addazio called runs 60% of plays

2010 vs. 2011 Addazio vs. the Schematic Advantage

The offensive roster for Addazio's last offense, the 8-5 UF team that beat a crappy Penn State team in the Outback bowl, had Brantley at QB, Demps at RB, Deonte Thompson as WR1 Rainey in slot and Omarious Hines at TE. This was the year Rainey threatened to kill his gf and was kicked of the team for a laughable 5 games.

The offensive roster for Weis's offense, the 7-6 UF team that beat a crappy Ohio State team in the Gator bowl, had Brantley at QB, Rainey and Demps at RB, Andre Debose as WR1 Rainey also in slot and Jordan Reed at TE.

the run/pass splits are: 2010: 381 passes/504 rushes = Addazio called runs 57% of plays; 2009: 320 passes/469 rushes = Fatty called runs 59% of plays

What does it mean? I don't know, there are nuances not shown by this - like how Tebow was used as a runner as all runs are not equal, but my argument is not that Addazio is equal to Mullen as an OC, I doubt that. It's just that it is not a foregone conclusion that is not going to try and run the veer.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Re: Addazio's Offenses

Postby JesuitIvy on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:46 am

All of that and I have to come to my own conclusions? This is a BC chat board, not a BC classroom
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:48 am

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:All of that and I have to come to my own conclusions? This is a BC chat board, not a BC classroom

Don't worry, HJS will be here soon enough to give you his... :shrug
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:As always, Addazio wasn't even on my list in terms of guys I wanted for this job, but since he's here I'd like to know what I should and should not be freaking out about. Specifically, we keep hearing about the Temple - service academy offense, but is this what Addazio wants or was it catering to personnel (the running back who is currently usurping Ray Rice's job in the NFL and our own Montel Harris)?

Florida:

First, I have read I believe mostly on TOS, that Addazio was "canned/fired/tossed out" at UF. It should be obvious, but is still worth mentioning that Meyer had his "health" issues in 2010 and quit after the season. Muschamp didn't bring Addazio back. That really shouldn't be surprising and is frankly indicative of little at best.

Since we can't go back and watch two seasons of Gators football, nor would I want to, I think there is some value in two separate statistical comparisons, I welcome challenges to this extremely unscientific comparison but it makes some sense to me:

The offensive roster for Mullen's last offense, the national championship 2008 UF team, had Tebow at QB, Harvin at RB/WR, Demps at RB, Louis Murphy as WR1 (since Harvin is hard to define positionally) Rainey in slot, and Aaron Hernandez at TE.

The offensive roster for Addazio's first offense, the one loss (to NC bama) 2009 UF team that beat the shit out of cinci in the sugar bowl, had had Tebow at QB, NO Harvin at RB/WR, Demps at RB, Riley Cooper as WR1 Rainey in slot, and Aaron Hernandez at TE. (Also Tebow got a concussion and missed two games)

I don't think anyone who even vaguely remembers these teams will argue that having Harvin makes up for any other differences.

the run/pass splits are my focus due to the contention that Addazio = Paul Johnson allegations: 2008: 329 passes/545 rushes = Mullen called runs 62% of plays; 2009: 364 passes/555 rushes = Addazio called runs 60% of plays

The offensive roster for Addazio's last offense, the 8-5 UF team that beat a crappy Penn State team in the Outback bowl, had Brantley at QB, Demps at RB, Deonte Thompson as WR1 Rainey in slot and Omarious Hines at TE. This was the year Rainey threatened to kill his gf and was kicked of the team for a laughable 5 games.

The offensive roster for Weis's offense, the 7-6 UF team that beat a crappy Ohio State team in the Gator bowl, had Brantley at QB, Rainey and Demps at RB, Andre Debose as WR1 Rainey also in slot and Jordan Reed at TE.

the run/pass splits are: 2010: 381 passes/504 rushes = Addazio called runs 57% of plays; 2009: 320 passes/469 rushes = Fatty called runs 59% of plays

What does it mean? I don't know, there are nuances not shown by this - like how Tebow was used as a runner as all runs are not equal, but my argument is not that Addazio is equal to Mullen as an OC, I doubt that. It's just that it is not a foregone conclusion that is not going to try and run the veer.

Good work 9903. But it doesn't fit into the current board trend of hysterically predicting doom for BC football.

Cue HJS and his band of Doomsday Preppers who will insist that Addazio will run us back to the Stone Age & will run off any decent recruit.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:48 am

content is king
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:53 am

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:As always, Addazio wasn't even on my list in terms of guys I wanted for this job, but since he's here I'd like to know what I should and should not be freaking out about. Specifically, we keep hearing about the Temple - service academy offense, but is this what Addazio wants or was it catering to personnel (the running back who is currently usurping Ray Rice's job in the NFL and our own Montel Harris)?

Florida:

Good work 9903. But it doesn't fit into the current board trend of hysterically predicting doom for BC football.

Cue HJS and his band of Doomsday Preppers who will insist that Addazio will run us back to the Stone Age & will run off any decent recruit.

Addazio was a bad hire and BC football, while it has no where to go but up, will not be saved by your BFF. Maybe we get back to a bowl, which isn't hard to do, but this hire, Addazio's coaching skills, along with his recruiting "prowess" all suck.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:16 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

Florida:

Addazio was a bad hire and BC football, while it has no where to go but up, will not be saved by your BFF. Maybe we get back to a bowl, which isn't hard to do, but this hire, Addazio's coaching skills, along with his recruiting "prowess" all suck.

I certainly have no problem with pessimism on the hire. Saying his recruiting prowess sucks, which can really only be based on the last two months is kind of without basis though.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:54 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

Florida:

I certainly have no problem with pessimism on the hire. Saying his recruiting prowess sucks, which can really only be based on the last two months is kind of without basis though.

Well, let's then call it way overstated. He "recruited" at UF at a time when UF could almost get anybody they wanted because of the team's success, Urban Meyer, and all the tail a young man can dream of. Then he went to Temple and did nothing that tells me he's a miracle-worker. I won't judge him just yet, but he's done nothing but lose recruits in this terrible class. Perhaps he'll do well with recruiting, but I am mostly mocking the fact that some have called him a good recruiter when I believe it's been more of a coincidence than an attributable trait of his.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby MrAwesomeII on Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:56 am

The dual threat QB. It SUCKS. BC has tried it before, and it failed miserably. Willie Hicks anyone?? It just wont work here.
MrAwesomeII
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:04 pm

The idea that the dual threat QB somehow can't work at BC is as inanely stupid as the idea that BC should switch to it in the first place.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:20 pm

With all the lawyers here, thought this thread was going to be an arraignment....
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby gallopingghost on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:20 pm

The fact that Addazio had modest success while at Florida as OC does not necessarily translate to success at BC. One could easily attribute this success to Myer. I would far rather have seen a hire with head coach success at a lower level, whether it be the MAC or even Div III.

Look at the coaching tree of Bil Belicheck, from Charlie Weiss, Josh McDaniels, Mangini, Romeo Crennel, Scott Pioli, etc. Success under Belicheck did not translate into success elsewhere. I fear it will be the same for Addazio.
gallopingghost
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:20 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

Florida:

Well, let's then call it way overstated. He "recruited" at UF at a time when UF could almost get anybody they wanted because of the team's success, Urban Meyer, and all the tail a young man can dream of. Then he went to Temple and did nothing that tells me he's a miracle-worker. I won't judge him just yet, but he's done nothing but lose recruits in this terrible class. Perhaps he'll do well with recruiting, but I am mostly mocking the fact that some have called him a good recruiter when I believe it's been more of a coincidence than an attributable trait of his.

The first part is fair. UF recruits itself to a degree. It also competes with the best so a good recruiter at UF or somewhere similar has merit over someone who is not a good recruiter at UF or somewhere similar. Beating Alabama for a recruit at UF is roughly comparable for us beating (unfortunately) Rutgers or Maryland for a recruit right now (thank you Spaz). The issue being that it is completely and utterly different than recruiting at BC and I have no idea if it translates.

The doing nothing at Temple thing isn't as clear to me as you are making it though. He had 14 or 13 (depending on how you treat a recruit that didn't qualify in Golden's last year but did in Addazio's first) three star recruits in two years and some change at Temple. Golden had 19 or 18 (same issue) in a little over 4. This year Addazio had 7 recruits with BCS offers. That is as many as Spaz had the day he left at BC. A lot of this is wishy-washy and Golden, not Addazio built the program and therefore had to go through the years where it was hardest to recruit to Temple. Nonetheless, it remains Temple and the 7 recruits with BCS offers seems to show something.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:24 pm

After watching him for 2 seasons, Florida fans believed that Daziani's was run-heavy and unimaginitive. I don't think any of us are in a better position to say otherwise. There is an aspect to these "but statistics show..." posts that are very similar to what we saw from RCC fans when they were incredulous that we were happy to see TOB leave. Any RCC fan will tell you we were right about what TOB was. That said, BC fans are a hell of a lot different than the irrational mouth-breathers of the SEC. As such, it is reasonable to discredit some of what they say.

I also question whether it is valid to compare Meyer OCs... by that I mean that the offenses run at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and OSU are all somewhat similar and all attributal to Meyer (not his OC du jour). While Florida's killing of Daz raises concerns, my biggest concerns are born from Daz's offense when he's been on his own. I cannot simply dismiss his 2 years at Temple where he only threw 32% (2011) and 37% (2012) of the time. While some will say that it is because he only had Chris Coyer, it isn't true. He had other QBs available to him when he took over Temple (some of whom started the previous year). He chose Coyer (mid-year I might add), because he was the best runner. Go back and read the articles from November 2011.
It’s clear that the addition of Coyer to the offense gives the Owls a dimension they lacked before--a true running quarterback. While Stewart rushed for 148 yards on the season, he doesn’t have the speed or agility of Coyer. Temple utilized those abilities against Ohio, running numerous power and speed options as part of an offense that Steve Addazio is ultimately more comfortable running.

“The ability to spread ‘em out and run spread-option football...that’s not something I was able to come right in here and do because that’s not what was in place here,” he said. “ I wanted to take advantage of the best abilities I had at Temple when I got here, and right now we’re trying to gradually move it. Where we are is what I like--but ultimately what I like is doing what our team does best.”

It’s clear that while Addazio thought Stewart was the best option for the large part of the season, Coyer allows the coaching staff to run an offense more similar to what they ran in Florida, with a quarterback capable of rushing for over 100 yards in a game. With running back Bernard Pierce possibly sidelined with a "head injury"--Addazio didn't want to call it a concussion on Friday--Coyer's running will be even more crucial if the Owls want to be playing in late December.

I think that the offenses we saw at Temple (which were very similar through 2 different OCs) is the offense that Daziani prefers. His quotes since taking over further support that: "The plan to win — I’ve got a simple plan to win. From a football standpoint — play great defense, run the football, score in the red zone, be great on special teams and don’t turn the ball over. That’s the plan to win."

I am quite honestly surprised that some are trying to argue that Dazoo isn't who he is. I'd figure that the argument in support of Daz is that Paul Johnson has won at GT, Meyer has won Natty Champs at UF and (possibly shoul've) OSU... why the eff do you care about passing the ball so long as the team is winning??? Further, while BC has been effective with throwing QBS, they also have a rich history of running the ball behind a great OLine. Daziani's O plays right into it. Further, no offense puts less a focus on speedy WRs (something BC simply has not, and cannot recruit).
Last edited by HJS on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:24 pm

gallopingghost {l Wrote}:The fact that Addazio had modest success while at Florida as OC does not necessarily translate to success at BC. One could easily attribute this success to Myer. I would far rather have seen a hire with head coach success at a lower level, whether it be the MAC or even Div III.

Look at the coaching tree of Bil Belicheck, from Charlie Weiss, Josh McDaniels, Mangini, Romeo Crennel, Scott Pioli, etc. Success under Belicheck did not translate into success elsewhere. I fear it will be the same for Addazio.

the point
this post
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:After watching him for 2 seasons, Florida fans believed that Daziani's was run-heavy and unimaginitive. I don't think any of us are in a better position to say otherwise. There is an aspect to these "but statistics show..." posts that are very similar to what we saw from RCC fans when they were incredulous that we were happy to see TOB leave. Any RCC fan will tell you we were right about what TOB was. That said, BC fans are a hell of a lot different than the irrational mouth-breathers of the SEC. As such, it is reasonable to discredit some of what they say.

I also question whether it is valid to compare Meyer OCs... by that I mean that the offenses run at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and OSU are all somewhat similar and all attributal to Meyer (not his OC du jour). While Florida's killing of Daz raises concerns, my biggest concerns are born from Daz's offense when he's been on his own. I cannot simply dismiss his 2 years at Temple where he only threw 32% (2011) and 37% (2012) of the time. While some will say that it is because he only had Chris Coyer, it isn't true. He had other QBs available to him when he took over Temple (some of whom started the previous year). He chose Coyer (mid-year I might add), because he was the best runner. Go back and read the articles from November 2011.
It’s clear that the addition of Coyer to the offense gives the Owls a dimension they lacked before--a true running quarterback. While Stewart rushed for 148 yards on the season, he doesn’t have the speed or agility of Coyer. Temple utilized those abilities against Ohio, running numerous power and speed options as part of an offense that Steve Addazio is ultimately more comfortable running.

“The ability to spread ‘em out and run spread-option football...that’s not something I was able to come right in here and do because that’s not what was in place here,” he said. “ I wanted to take advantage of the best abilities I had at Temple when I got here, and right now we’re trying to gradually move it. Where we are is what I like--but ultimately what I like is doing what our team does best.”

It’s clear that while Addazio thought Stewart was the best option for the large part of the season, Coyer allows the coaching staff to run an offense more similar to what they ran in Florida, with a quarterback capable of rushing for over 100 yards in a game. With running back Bernard Pierce possibly sidelined with a "head injury"--Addazio didn't want to call it a concussion on Friday--Coyer's running will be even more crucial if the Owls want to be playing in late December.

I think that the offenses we saw at Temple (which were very similar through 2 different OCs) is the offense that Daziani prefers. His quotes since taking over further support that: "The plan to win — I’ve got a simple plan to win. From a football standpoint — play great defense, run the football, score in the red zone, be great on special teams and don’t turn the ball over. That’s the plan to win."

I am quite honestly surprised that some are trying to argue that Dazoo isn't who he is. I'd figure that the argument in support of Daz is that Paul Johnson has won at GT, Meyer has won Natty Champs at UF and (possibly shoul've) OSU... why the eff do you care about passing the ball so long as the team is winning??? Further, while BC has been effective with throwing QBS, they also have a rich history of running the ball behind a great OLine. Daziani's O plays right into it. Further, no offense puts less a focus on speedy WRs (something BC simply has not, and cannot recruit).

Time and time again, successful collegiate football teams always do two things well:

1) they can run the ball
2) they can play good defense

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:42 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:With all the lawyers here, thought this thread was going to be an arraignment....

It would have been if it were not the Friday before Groundhog Day weekend.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:44 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:After watching him for 2 seasons, Florida fans believed that Daziani's was run-heavy and unimaginitive. I don't think any of us are in a better position to say otherwise. There is an aspect to these "but statistics show..." posts that are very similar to what we saw from RCC fans when they were incredulous that we were happy to see TOB leave. Any RCC fan will tell you we were right about what TOB was. That said, BC fans are a hell of a lot different than the irrational mouth-breathers of the SEC. As such, it is reasonable to discredit some of what they say.

So even though his offense is provably not run-heavy relative to his predecessor and successor at UF, UF fans say was so therefore it is? I disagree and say that statistics are unhelpful in some comparisons but close to definitive in regards to Addazio at UF. This is not the same as us saying TOB is a turtling coward who will never win a big game, those things are subjective. It would be difficult to use statistics to show that TOB is a turtling coward. They can show he had not won a big game, but that does not mean he will not, he arguably could have been on the verge of doing so.

I also question whether it is valid to compare Meyer OCs... by that I mean that the offenses run at Bowling Green, Utah, Florida and OSU are all somewhat similar and all attributal to Meyer (not his OC du jour). While Florida's killing of Daz raises concerns, my biggest concerns are born from Daz's offense when he's been on his own.

Yes it is fair to question whether Mullen and Addazio offenses' looked roughly the same (minus the awesomeness of Harvin) when they each had Tebow because Meyer was in actuallity running the show. It is equally fair to question whether Mullen having talented actual BCS level players at Mississippi St relative to Addazio having mostly MAC players at Temple can be used to show a divergence. There are a lot of questions, which was the point of my initial post.

I cannot simply dismiss his 2 years at Temple where he only threw 32% (2011) and 37% (2012) of the time. While some will say that it is because he only had Chris Coyer, it isn't true. He had other QBs available to him when he took over Temple (some of whom started the previous year). He chose Coyer (mid-year I might add), because he was the best runner. Go back and read the articles from November 2011.

I think that the offenses we saw at Temple (which were very similar through 2 different OCs) is the offense that Daziani prefers. His quotes since taking over further support that: The plan to win — I’ve got a simple plan to win. From a football standpoint — play great defense, run the football, score in the red zone, be great on special teams and don’t turn the ball over. That’s the plan to win.

Are you assuming that Chester Stewart was even an average thrower? Otherwise none of this says much other than the thing we know, that Addazio ideally wants a QB who can run.

I'm not making an argument, I'm rebutting the presumption that Addazio is a Paul Johnson replica except out of necessity because I'm fairly certain it is a bad comparison (other than run/pass there is almost no similarity between the Temple and GT offenses) and I'm sure the hatred of the forward pass is not as open and shut as it is being made out to be. Much like taking 4-9 without the personnel losses and upgrade in competition is a hollow comparison to take at face value as fact.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:49 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I'm not making an argument, I'm rebutting a strawman.

Got it.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:53 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:With all the lawyers here, thought this thread was going to be an arraignment....

It would have been if it were not the Friday before Groundhog Day weekend.

It probably would have been a more interesting thread.

Maybe we should put someone on trial in MAs?

Suggestions?

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:14 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Got it.

HJS {l Wrote}:The spread takes many different forms. You have spreads run by Holgorsen, Chip Kelly, Sumlin, Kingsbury, Mike Gundy, Chad Morris and Steve Logan, are essentially the evolution of the run-and-shoot. And then, you have the spreads run by Daziani, Paul Johnson and Ken Niumatalolo, which are essentially the evolution of the wishbone.

Is that your post or someone elses?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:20 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:the point
this post

HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:25 pm

You whiny pricks spent years complaining about coach sadface and the total lack of enthusiasm in the program...

Give Sgt. Slaughter a chance to make something happen, evaluate results. This bench racing BS is Ms. Cleo.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:28 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:the point
this post

Derp.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:31 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Got it.

HJS {l Wrote}:The spread takes many different forms. You have spreads run by Holgorsen, Chip Kelly, Sumlin, Kingsbury, Mike Gundy, Chad Morris and Steve Logan, are essentially the evolution of the run-and-shoot. And then, you have the spreads run by Daziani, Paul Johnson and Ken Niumatalolo, which are essentially the evolution of the wishbone.

But seriously though does HomOJs not say in the quoted text above that "you have the spreads run by Daziani, Paul Johnson and Ken Niumatalolo, which are essentially the evolution of the wishbone?"

Is there another way to read that than grouping Addazio, Johnson and Niumatololo's offenses together as evolution of the wishbone?

If I missed the point, which I most certainly did not, then my post starting this thread is a straw man I guess.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:23 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
But seriously though ...

"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby basselope on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:29 am

I don't give a shit what kind of offense Addazio & Day run, just score more points and win some damn games.
Scoring points is the objective of an offense & Addazio's last 4 teams have averaged 30.2 a game.

so in 3 of the last 4 years his team has scored MORE that the best of BC (2007 team = 28.3)

35.9 Florida in 2009
29.8 Florida in 2010
30.6 Temple in 2011
24.7 Temple in 2012

Hell after watching BC go 3 straight years of UNDER 20, I'll take the low point of 24.7.
basselope
Campion Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:48 am

basselope {l Wrote}:I don't give a shit what kind of offense Addazio & Day run, just score more points and win some damn games.
Scoring points is the objective of an offense & Addazio's last 4 teams have averaged 30.2 a game.

so in 3 of the last 4 years his team has scored MORE that the best of BC (2007 team = 28.3)

35.9 Florida in 2009
29.8 Florida in 2010
30.6 Temple in 2011
24.7 Temple in 2012

Hell after watching BC go 3 straight years of UNDER 20, I'll take the low point of 24.7.

AMEN!
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:08 pm

basselope {l Wrote}:I don't give a shit what kind of offense Addazio & Day run, just score more points and win some damn games.

35.9 Florida in 2009
29.8 Florida in 2010
30.6 Temple in 2011
24.7 Temple in 2012

Basselope please don't confuse the board with facts.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Feb 03, 2013 12:51 pm

35.9 Florida in 2009
29.8 Florida in 2010
30.6 Temple in 2011
24.7 Temple in 2012

Basselope please don't confuse the board with facts.

You mean the fact that at the last two schools he coached at, the offense's output regressed with the Dazzler at the helm? What's most alarming is the huge drop in year two at Temple, you know, when GOlden's team just started becoming Daziani's team. A drop of 20% at Temple, and 18% at UF.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium