2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby bigeastconf on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:15 am

Boyle is visiting Uconn on wednesday.
bigeastconf
n00b

Postby GT BoSox on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:52 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Robert Davis got a BC offer tonight. Got to assume that means Webb isn't coming here but I've liked Davis a bit better. More shift and speed with Davis.

He'll decide on signing day, correct?
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:42 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Robert Davis got a BC offer tonight. Got to assume that means Webb isn't coming here but I've liked Davis a bit better. More shift and speed with Davis.

Is the offer all he was waiting for to put BC in the drivers seat ? From what I read Davis was deciding between Cincy and Memphis, so youd have to think Webb would still be an option (obviously unless the offer means Davis is a virtual lock and their would be no spot for Webb).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:44 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Is the offer all he was waiting for to put BC in the drivers seat ? From what I read Davis was deciding between Cincy and Memphis, so youd have to think Webb would still be an option (obviously unless the offer means Davis is a virtual lock and their would be no spot for Webb).

I don't think Webb is coming to BC.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:00 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

I don't think Webb is coming to BC.

There is nothing like chasing off offensive players who can throw and catch so you can instill an offensive scheme based exclusively on running the ball... only to then fail at recruiting players who are skilled at running the ball.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:03 pm

I'm no fan of shirtless boys, but there's little reason to believe this class will be anything other than a total disaster, right?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:11 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I'm no fan of shirtless boys, but there's little reason to believe this class will be anything other than a total disaster, right?

1) Denial isn't just a river in egypt;
ii.) yes;
C.) it was already the worst recruiting class since maybe TOB's transition class and I only stop there because I have no idea who was in that class;
----) There were 6 players with BCS offers in the class before the firing (Boyle, Daniels, Montesero, Willis, Milano, Callinan). Two are definitely gone (montesero, Daniels) one is almost definitely gone (Boyle) and one was added before Addazio was hired (Montgomery). The kicker who committed to MSU, didn't have one, but MSU of course is one. So absent knowing who else signs (Cooper, Garcia, and Davis have BCS offers, Spearman and Rouse do not) Addazio inherited an awful class with 8 recruits who had options to go to other BCS schools and lost 3 (almost certainly 4) leaving a class with 4 recruits currently holding BCS offers.
5) in short, yes disaster.

Assign blame as you see appropriate.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Iggle on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:15 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:I'm no fan of shirtless boys, but there's little reason to believe this class will be anything other than a total disaster, right?

1) Denial isn't just a river in egypt;
ii.) yes;
C.) it was already the worst recruiting class since maybe TOB's transition class and I only stop there because I have no idea who was in that class;
----) There were 6 players with BCS offers in the class before the firing (Boyle, Daniels, Montesero, Willis, Milano, Callinan). Two are definitely gone (montesero, Daniels) one is almost definitely gone (Boyle) and one was added before Addazio was hired (Montgomery). The kicker who committed to MSU, didn't have one, but MSU of course is one. So absent knowing who else signs (Cooper, Garcia, and Davis have BCS offers, Spearman and Rouse do not) Addazio inherited an awful class with 8 recruits who had options to go to other BCS schools and lost 3 (almost certainly 4) leaving a class with 4 recruits currently holding BCS offers.
5) in short, yes disaster.

my favorite part about this has been Montgomery committing when there was no coach. BC recruits better without a coach than with Spaz or Azzadio (so far)
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:20 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

OK, I'll address the elephant in the room. It's obviously Jeff Jagodzinski's fault.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby hansen on Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:34 pm

Much like that game in '04 that never really happened neither did this recruiting class. :shrug
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:08 pm

Robert Davis is visiting on friday. Will then decide between BC, Cincinnati, and Memphis. USF not involved
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:22 pm

RABBLERABBLERABBLE i blame al skinner RABBLERABBLERABBLE
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:31 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:Much like that game in '04 that never really happened neither did this recruiting class. :shrug

gotta love a class of two-stars where BC recruiters had to work so hard to beat out the likes of Temple, Rutgers, UConn, Akron, Ohio, and Central Michigan to their recruits....

http://bostoncollege.scout.com/a.z?s=165&p=9&c=8&yr=2013
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby bceagles24 on Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:01 pm

I'd be very surprised if Davis isn't an Eagle on NSD.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby joesim on Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:32 pm

Wasn't Raphael Webb supposed to decide today
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:05 pm

joesim {l Wrote}:Wasn't Raphael Webb supposed to decide today

Yea but he deleted his twitter. Must mean that he wasn't ready after saying he would be. Vanderbilt apparently has come in late. Will probably decide between Vandy and Minnesota.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby thebigskinny31 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:30 am

Seems like it's down to BC & UConn for Boyle.

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-foo ... 9263.story
thebigskinny31
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:40 am

"It's the nature of the beast these days the way [coaches] change schools. [Addazio] basically said you can go up to BC and play, but at some point this offense is going to go in another direction. What Tim is looking at is, 'Hey, I go up there and do the job and I'm playing for two years and all of a sudden he's got all the people he needs to run his offense and I'm sitting on the bench.'"

That is effing atrocious. I'm ready to fire his ass. So no matter how well you do, I am not going to utilize your skill, even if you are the next Dan Marino.

Screw this shit, Addazio is a clown.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:44 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:"It's the nature of the beast these days the way [coaches] change schools. [Addazio] basically said you can go up to BC and play, but at some point this offense is going to go in another direction. What Tim is looking at is, 'Hey, I go up there and do the job and I'm playing for two years and all of a sudden he's got all the people he needs to run his offense and I'm sitting on the bench.'"

That is effing atrocious. I'm ready to fire his ass. So no matter how well you do, I am not going to utilize your skill, even if you are the next Dan Marino.

Yeah that jumped out at me too. Is he seriously saying that if Boyle comes to BC and wins the job for 2014 (certainly possible), he'll bench him for a dual threat guy in the future regardless of how Boyle is playing? That is the height of stupidity/stubbornness if right. If Boyle is good enough for Oregon's system, there's literally zero reason Daz shouldn't be able to bend his system to fit him.

Also, stupid roster management aside, it sounds like we're in for some pretty boring/uncreative football for the next few years. I'm all for running but it sounds like Daz still hasn't gotten on board with this whole notion of a forward pass.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:56 am

Im really confused. If the kid could play in Oregon's system, how the heck does he not fit at BC. I thought Boyle was mobile anyway
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:01 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:"It's the nature of the beast these days the way [coaches] change schools. [Addazio] basically said you can go up to BC and play, but at some point this offense is going to go in another direction. What Tim is looking at is, 'Hey, I go up there and do the job and I'm playing for two years and all of a sudden he's got all the people he needs to run his offense and I'm sitting on the bench.'"

Yeah that jumped out at me too. Is he seriously saying that if Boyle comes to BC and wins the job for 2014 (certainly possible), he'll bench him for a dual threat guy in the future regardless of how Boyle is playing? That is the height of stupidity/stubbornness if right. If Boyle is good enough for Oregon's system, there's literally zero reason Daz shouldn't be able to bend his system to fit him.

Also, stupid roster management aside, it sounds like we're in for some pretty boring/uncreative football for the next few years. I'm all for running but it sounds like Daz still hasn't gotten on board with this whole notion of a forward pass.

Are we saying he should 1) cater his offense to a recruit for four years? or are we saying 2) he should be less clear to the recruit about what his offensive philosophy is?

I guess my question is, when do you figure out if Boyle is the next "Dan Marino?" I mean unless Chase transfers, he is clearly the starter in year one. Since not just the QB but many other positions change in a spread vs. pro set, what do you do in year 2? Have Boyle run in an offense he doesn't seem suited for or tailor an offense for him? What if he sucks then? Suntrup was a pretty highly rated pro style qb recruit and according to some posters is awful.

I love what Logan did with Ryan, but this is not an apt comparison to that. The apt comparison to that will be how Chase is used in 2013.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:04 am

31southst {l Wrote}:

There is a reason, a very good reason why Daz can't bend his system. The reason is Daz is a shitty coach and a stupid man with no creativity.

Any college football coach who REFUSES to adjust his systems to accomidate the strengths of the best players that he has available to him, while minimizing their detractions, is a stubborn ass who is basically too stupid to have the authority to be coaching at the BCS level. The game has passed these old codgers by and they are of no further use. Fuck him.

He hasn't coached a game, but if this is true what Boyle is sayign about Daz, I am already done with him. Fuck you too Brad Bates for going cheap and hiring Daz and fuck you BOT for thinking you can get a good coach on the cheap. You all suck. :gun
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:13 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Im really confused. If the kid could play in Oregon's system, how the heck does he not fit at BC. I thought Boyle was mobile anyway

Oregon's system isn't Oregon's system anymore.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

Are we saying he should 1) cater his offense to a recruit for four years? or are we saying 2) he should be less clear to the recruit about what his offensive philosophy is?

I guess my question is, when do you figure out if Boyle is the next "Dan Marino?" I mean unless Chase transfers, he is clearly the starter in year one. Since not just the QB but many other positions change in a spread vs. pro set, what do you do in year 2? Have Boyle run in an offense he doesn't seem suited for or tailor an offense for him? What if he sucks then? Suntrup was a pretty highly rated pro style qb recruit and according to some posters is awful.

I love what Logan did with Ryan, but this is not an apt comparison to that. The apt comparison to that will be how Chase is used in 2013.

We are saying that if your offense is so inflexible that you cannot adjust to the talent on a year by year basis, you suck ass as a coach.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:14 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

As a coach at Boston College, you do NOT have the recruiting clout to select the BEST players in the country that you know will fit perfectly into the offensive and defensive systems that exist in your comfort zone. You don't. So your goal should be even simpler, recruit the absolute BEST players that are available REGARDLESS of whether or not you think they fit in your system.

When you get those best players, you adjust your system to maximize their strengths. Get out of your coaching comfort zone and accomadate your player's comfort zone in an effort to increase your chances of winning the fucking game. That is what a good coach at BC would do. If what Boyle is saying is true, it appears we might not have that in Daz. I'm not the least bit surprised about that, since the BOT didn't provide Brad Bates enough money to pay for a real coach who has the capacity to understand that you do whatever it takes to win. We are still stuck in the "..nice guy who likes his players..." crap.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:15 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

We are saying that if your offense is so inflexible that you cannot adjust to the talent on a year by year basis, you suck ass as a coach.

Yup. +5 for theodore
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:17 am

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

As a coach at Boston College, you do NOT have the recruiting clout to select the BEST players in the country that you know will fit perfectly into the offensive and defensive systems that exist in your comfort zone. You don't. So your goal should be even simpler, recruit the absolute BEST players that are available REGARDLESS of whether or not you think they fit in your system.

When you get those best players, you adjust your system to maximize their strengths. Get out of your coaching comfort zone and accomadate your player's comfort zone in an effort to increase your chances of winning the fucking game. That is what a good coach at BC would do. If what Boyle is saying is true, it appears we might not have that in Daz. I'm not the least bit surprised about that, since the BOT didn't provide Brad Bates enough money to pay for a real coach who has the capacity to understand that you do whatever it takes to win. We are still stuck in the "..nice guy who likes his players..." crap.

Nospace oversimplifies pretty much everything to the point where it no longer is logical. But this is right on.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:19 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

Ok.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:22 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

Nospace oversimplifies pretty much everything to the point where it no longer is logical. But this is right on.

It is pretty much the usual level of oversimplification. It may be right, but it's still taking a conclusion (addazio sucks) and throwing a bunch of semi connecting middle steps to get there. Since I don't like the hire and I don't want a spread at all, I tend to reach the same conclusion, but the reasoning is still horrible.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:26 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:

It is pretty much the usual level of oversimplification. It may be right, but it's still taking a conclusion (addazio sucks) and throwing a bunch of semi connecting middle steps to get there. Since I don't like the hire and I don't want a spread at all, I tend to reach the same conclusion, but the reasoning is still horrible.

I didn't like the hire, but I thought and have been vocal that I thought he could get BC back to TOB levels. So I am most certainly not working backwards from a conclusion that I just formed. The quote from the coach makes it pretty damn clear that Addazio is discouraging pocket passers from coming to the school that has developed so many of them in the past 20 years. That wouldn't bother me whatsover if he remotely came close to landing a recruit of Boyle's caliber that was a dual threat prior to making that call. But he hasn't.

My problem isn't with the system, but the reluctant stubbornness to stick to it before you have shown a modicum of ability to recruit the players for it.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium