2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:35 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
cvilleagle {l Wrote}:Look, I hate HJS just as much as the next guy, but trading Boyle for Walsh is a disaster.

Bingo.

I don't know dick about whether Boyle ran a passing-oritented spread offense in high school, BUT, if that is the case, it is a huge fuck up to offend him out the door/run him off. There's no doubt that BC needs to get more modern in its schemes on both sides of the football and incorporating aspects of the spread is basically a "must" in football at the college level at this point. However, it seems to me that the process of modernizing, BC football could respect the traditional pro-style attack that has been one of the program's strongest selling points to OL and QB's by running an offense that brings in spread aspects but still includes, or emphasizes, downfield passing. That does not seem to be what the Dazzler has in mind. If Walsh or some other recruit turns out to be Colin Kaepernick 2.0, then I'll happily eat crow, but this looks like a shit show.

Yeah, what BC needs to do to modernize the offense is hire Steve Logan, not Paul Johnson.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:36 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:Looks like Daz told Boyle he wouldn't be seeing much time. Lowrie is the better athlete, could have his position switched if it doesn't work out.

SERIOUSLY? Daz told Boyle, our BEST recruit who loved the school and committed despite having Nap Time for a head coach, that he wouldn't see much time? Is Daz insane, or just so full of himself and his ability after rocking a 4-7 record? Where the hell is Day in all of this? Is the Golden Child of Chip Kelly okay with Sgt Slaughter losing all the offensive talent we had coming in? Daniels...Monteroso...Boyle...

If there is someone that shouldn't see much time, it should be the jackass head coach and the idiot AD that hired him.

Not confirmed, but apparently Lowrie may switch to safety, Daz is definitely serious about switching over to his stretch option-type offense. That makes Border most likely to replace Chase after next season.

Yet fucking Oregon is interested in Boyle after he told fucking Florida he wasn't interested.

Let's just fucking be honest for once... Daz has fucked up.

Calm the fuck down. Admittedly, Addazio has yet to impress me with his recruiting, but at the same time he has had a very small window to recruit for BC in the 2013 class. Hopefully Boyle stays. Given how dire our QB situation will be post-Rettig, BC would probably give him as much of an opportunity as any school to take snaps. However, the 2014 class is the real test. Based on his recruiting over the past several years as well as his energy level and ability to sell the program, I am convinced Addazio will bring in a very good class. I also believe Addazio has done an excellent job assembling his staff...and I am confused exactly how people could say otherwise.

Also, Florida didn't want Boyle. Florida basically told him that they had players higher on the list, and had to wait before being committing.

Pollyana, Exhibit A.

Im pretty sure Mattheagle was a pollyanna before the Addazio hire and probably long before he ever encountered an HJS post.

You win. Carry on.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:40 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:Looks like Daz told Boyle he wouldn't be seeing much time. Lowrie is the better athlete, could have his position switched if it doesn't work out.

SERIOUSLY? Daz told Boyle, our BEST recruit who loved the school and committed despite having Nap Time for a head coach, that he wouldn't see much time? Is Daz insane, or just so full of himself and his ability after rocking a 4-7 record? Where the hell is Day in all of this? Is the Golden Child of Chip Kelly okay with Sgt Slaughter losing all the offensive talent we had coming in? Daniels...Monteroso...Boyle...

If there is someone that shouldn't see much time, it should be the jackass head coach and the idiot AD that hired him.

Not confirmed, but apparently Lowrie may switch to safety, Daz is definitely serious about switching over to his stretch option-type offense. That makes Border most likely to replace Chase after next season.

Yet fucking Oregon is interested in Boyle after he told fucking Florida he wasn't interested.

Let's just fucking be honest for once... Daz has fucked up.

Calm the fuck down. Admittedly, Addazio has yet to impress me with his recruiting, but at the same time he has had a very small window to recruit for BC in the 2013 class. Hopefully Boyle stays. Given how dire our QB situation will be post-Rettig, BC would probably give him as much of an opportunity as any school to take snaps. However, the 2014 class is the real test. Based on his recruiting over the past several years as well as his energy level and ability to sell the program, I am convinced Addazio will bring in a very good class. I also believe Addazio has done an excellent job assembling his staff...and I am confused exactly how people could say otherwise.

Also, Florida didn't want Boyle. Florida basically told him that they had players higher on the list, and had to wait before being committing.

Pollyana, Exhibit A.

Im pretty sure Mattheagle was a pollyanna before the Addazio hire and probably long before he ever encountered an HJS post.

You win. Carry on.

No, you're probably right actually, not about matttheeagle types, but I am going to great lengths to defend an apparent shit show in reaction to HJS' exaggerating the finality and extent of the shitshow and not because I really see any positives from it.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:44 am

I know, that's my point. Like many others, you end up sounding like a Pollyana even though you are not because it is more important to you to disagree with HJS than to agree with him when he's right. Addazio is a disaster thus far, and there is really no disputing that. And while Bates seems like a nice guy, he hasn't been good enough to be a disaster yet.

I fully expected Addazio to be TOB 2.0, which sucks, but doesn't suck as bad as Spaz. Thus far, Addazio isn't off to a good start by Spaz standards, let alone TOB.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:01 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I know, that's my point. Like many others, you end up sounding like a Pollyana even though you are not because it is more important to you to disagree with HJS than to agree with him when he's right. Addazio is a disaster thus far, and there is really no disputing that. And while Bates seems like a nice guy, he hasn't been good enough to be a disaster yet.

I fully expected Addazio to be TOB 2.0, which sucks, but doesn't suck as bad as Spaz. Thus far, Addazio isn't off to a good start by Spaz standards, let alone TOB.

I agree that telling Boyle or Lowry for that matter he would have a lesser chance to play than Walsh is stupid, and it is even worse if Addazio will not give a pro style QB a fair chance regardless of what he is telling people.

Moreover, I hate forcing the spread on BC in general and this is one of the most legitimate immediate criticisms of the Addazio hire in my opinion - not even getting to whether he can successfully run it. Logan may have been able to do it eventually, but we know Jags had a ton of trouble getting his guy at QB. Tajh Boyd, Geno Smith, that Miami dude who sucked, EJ Manuel, etc. all chose other places and that was with what was probably a much better recruiting staff and coming off 9+ wins seasons.

If we see the same offense run at Temple it will be a disaster and it may very well make Spaz look similar by comparison. The caveat though, is you probably should run Bernard Pierce and Montel Harris almost 70% of the time when your QB is Chris Coyer. I've pointed out before that Weis threw less than Addazio with the same QB at Florida. I really don't think those nuances can be ignored. I believe they are fair to mention this and not pollyannish. The question then, is whether Addazio can get a real dual threat QB or for that matter any quality QB here and if so will he use him to operate a real spread or is he actually in favor of something more akin to the option?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:07 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:I know, that's my point. Like many others, you end up sounding like a Pollyana even though you are not because it is more important to you to disagree with HJS than to agree with him when he's right. Addazio is a disaster thus far, and there is really no disputing that. And while Bates seems like a nice guy, he hasn't been good enough to be a disaster yet.

I agree that telling Boyle or Lowry for that matter he would have a lesser chance to play than Walsh is stupid, and it is even worse if Addazio will not give a pro style QB a fair chance regardless of what he is telling people.

Moreover, I hate forcing the spread on BC in general and this is one of the most legitimate immediate criticisms of the Addazio hire in my opinion - not even getting to whether he can successfully run it. Logan may have been able to do it eventually, but we know Jags had a ton of trouble getting his guy at QB. Tajh Boyd, Geno Smith, that Miami dude who sucked, EJ Manuel, etc. all chose other places and that was with what was probably a much better recruiting staff and coming off 9+ wins seasons.

If we see the same offense run at Temple it will be a disaster and it may very well make Spaz look similar by comparison. The caveat though, is you probably should run Bernard Pierce and Montel Harris almost 70% of the time when your QB is Chris Coyer. I've pointed out before that Weis threw less than Addazio with the same QB at Florida. I really don't think those nuances can be ignored. I believe they are fair to mention this and not pollyannish. The question then, is whether Addazio can get a real dual threat QB or for that matter any quality QB here and if so will he use him to operate a real spread or is he actually in favor of something more akin to the option?

I don't deny that the bald criticism of Addazio's offense as being run heavy is belied by the numbers at Florida (particularly in comparison to Mullen), and is unfair given Temple's roster. All of that said, running off a passing QB in the BC mold for a little recruited dual threat QB looking at Ohio should ring some alarm bells in that regard. If the criticism were truly unsupported, I think keeping Boyle would have been a priority.

End of the day, a good coach can adjust. This has all the hallmarks of inflexibility.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:08 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I don't deny that the bald criticism of Addazio's offense as being run heavy is belied by the numbers at Florida (particularly in comparison to Mullen), and is unfair given Temple's roster. All of that said, running off a passing QB in the BC mold for a little recruited dual threat QB looking at Ohio should ring some alarm bells in that regard. If the criticism were truly unsupported, I think keeping Boyle would have been a priority.

End of the day, a good coach can adjust. This has all the hallmarks of inflexibility.

It's not unsupported. I just don't think it is gospel fact. I completely agree that inflexibility is inexcusable especially given the state of the talent in the program and whether it be perception or active, Boyle leaving is an undeniable symptom of inflexibility.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:13 pm

The QB situation may get even thinner. One rumor I heard recently is that Suntrup will join Brock in Delaware. I actually think it makes a lot of sense. Suntrup's arm strength (or lack thereof) has been discussed on pretty much every message board and blog. He also is even less a fit in Daz's offense than Boyle (who Dazoo told to find another school). But, barring a transfer, it means that BC is looking at Bordner, Walsh or Lowry in 2014. But, that's probably what The Dazzler wants... a roster devoid of QB depth so he can run his preferred run-run-run-punt offense (like he did at Temple).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:14 pm

i have previously read Shinskie to Delaware with Brock.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:33 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:i have previously read Shinskie to Delaware with Brock.

I read that also... from Blauds... who claimed that Brock was the reason why he picked BC... even though Tranq was the OC at the time. That said, I believe Shinskie originally committed to Delaware before pursuing his baseball career. If he is telling Boyle he isn't a fit (because his HS's spread offense employs the forward pass) and to go elsewhere, you damn well know that neither Suntrup nor Shinskie will ever see the field. I'm betting that Dazoo would rather try Kimble at QB before either of them.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:45 pm

I doubt it matters if he didn't flip before, but UVA just lost their OC to the Philadelphia Eagles, in some capacity, I wonder if this has any effect on McDonald?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:52 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:The QB situation may get even thinner.

Who cares?

Chase is here for his last year and then (insert most talented frosh on the roster) will get the nod in 2014. And we get him for 4 years.

Wash-rinse-repeat
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:53 pm

thank the good lord that qb's are rarely injured!
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby hansen on Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:56 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Boyle: "I chose BC for reasons other than football. But I've just decided to look at some other options to make sure I'm making the right decision."

hey HomoJS,

Where in there does it say that Daz told Boyle he's not a good fit for his offense?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eaglepoop on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:00 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Boyle: "I chose BC for reasons other than football. But I've just decided to look at some other options to make sure I'm making the right decision."

hey HomoJS,

Where in there does it say that Daz told Boyle he's not a good fit for his offense?

It doesn't. That's just HomoJS making shit up to suit his agenda and get all the posters on here riled up.
eaglepoop
n00b

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:04 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

hey HomoJS,

He came in and said he might want to get a dual-threat because of the offense he wants to run.... He told me they're going to be moving towards that offense and I'd have to work really hard to get it.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:07 pm

TICK TICK TICK BOOM!!!

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:22 pm

eaglepoop {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

hey HomoJS,

It doesn't. That's just HomoJS making shit up to suit his agenda and get all the posters on here riled up.

And....Pollyanna Exhibit B, this time directly proving my point.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:31 pm

eaglepoop {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:Image
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:16 pm

A few points out of this thread:

1. I am not a big TOB fan, but if you told me that the Dazzler would end up with the same resume as TOB, I would do backflips. We are a current 2-10, with one of the wins coming over Maine and the other a last minute job over a qb less Maryland team. Guys we stink. We are horrible. I think Bc could and should win 6 games next year ont he schedule alone, but the likelihood is that they will find a way to lose at least 1 if not 2 of those easy win games. This team has been losing consistently for two straight years, and getting the players to overcome the feelings of "something bad is happening, here we go again" should be number 1 on the agenda. this team thinks it is going to lose everytime it steps on the field, because they do lose just about every time they step on the field. Dazzlers second year, breaking ina new qb could be a 2 or 3 win year. If you tell me from that point on the Dazzler is going to start pounding away consistent 7, 8 and 9 win seasons, I will sign up for that right now. Do you guys understand how far away we are from that right now. To play meaningful games again would be a pleaant surprise.

2. Issue number 2 for me is not the Dazzler but the hiring of Bates. This seems to be an important time in conference alignmnet history. Everything happens quickly, behind closed doors. Gene was a brutal AD, but I give him one thing and that is that he would have been out in front of this, seeing where BC fits, lobbying, and trying to ensure Bc got a seat at the table. It is too early to judge him, but I just have a sinking feeling athat Bates is going to sit back and get blindsided as someone like Uconn who has been fighting this for years, sells themselves better than BC, and we are left in the dust. hopefully, I am wrong.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:30 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:thank the good lord that qb's are rarely injured!

The bar height has been set, the gauntlet thrown down. qb's @ bc play with broken feet
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:39 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:A few points out of this thread:

1. I am not a big TOB fan, but if you told me that the Dazzler would end up with the same resume as TOB, I would do backflips. We are a current 2-10, with one of the wins coming over Maine and the other a last minute job over a qb less Maryland team. Guys we stink. We are horrible. I think Bc could and should win 6 games next year ont he schedule alone, but the likelihood is that they will find a way to lose at least 1 if not 2 of those easy win games. This team has been losing consistently for two straight years, and getting the players to overcome the feelings of "something bad is happening, here we go again" should be number 1 on the agenda. this team thinks it is going to lose everytime it steps on the field, because they do lose just about every time they step on the field. Dazzlers second year, breaking ina new qb could be a 2 or 3 win year. If you tell me from that point on the Dazzler is going to start pounding away consistent 7, 8 and 9 win seasons, I will sign up for that right now. Do you guys understand how far away we are from that right now. To play meaningful games again would be a pleaant surprise.

2. Issue number 2 for me is not the Dazzler but the hiring of Bates. This seems to be an important time in conference alignmnet history. Everything happens quickly, behind closed doors. Gene was a brutal AD, but I give him one thing and that is that he would have been out in front of this, seeing where BC fits, lobbying, and trying to ensure Bc got a seat at the table. It is too early to judge him, but I just have a sinking feeling athat Bates is going to sit back and get blindsided as someone like Uconn who has been fighting this for years, sells themselves better than BC, and we are left in the dust. hopefully, I am wrong.

1. I would sign up for TOB-like success from Daz, but nothing tells me he can't even deliver that.
2. We are in whatever the ACC becomes for the long-haul. We have nothing in common with any of the conferences. And, even if we did, there is simply no way BB could ever deliver. He is an effing clown. At least, he doesn't pretend to be anything but a goofball. As Maryland showed, these things are done quietly through long-forged relationships and politicking. BB wouldn't know where to start. I think your UConn reference is spot-on. He would be running around to the press trying show everyone that he is really trying hard. Essentially... the polar opposite of what needs to be done. Ultimately, the ACC is perfect for us and, but for some terrible mismanagement by conference leadership, would otherwise provide the financial stability needed. I think the passing on Corrigan and Bobinski (who is now GT's AD) will prove to be huge missed opportunity for the University.
Last edited by HJS on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:41 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:A few points out of this thread:

1. I would sign up for TOB-like success from Daz, but nothing tells me he can even deliver that.
2. We are in whatever the ACC becomes for the long-haul. We have nothing in common with any of the conferences. And, even if we did, there is simply no way BB could ever deliver. He is an effing clown. At least, he doesn't pretend to be anything but a goofball. As Maryland showed, these things are done quietly through long-forged relationships and politicking. BB wouldn't know where to start. I think your UConn reference is spot-on. He would be running around to the press trying show everyone that he is really trying hard. Essentially... the polar opposite of what needs to be done. Ultimately, the ACC is perfect for us and, but for some terrible mismanagement by conference leadership, would otherwise provide the financial stability needed.

You don't mean to say you think Loh did anything to get Maryland into the B1G do you? Other than force the move internally?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:43 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:You don't mean to say you think Loh did anything to get Maryland into the B1G do you? Other than force the move internally?

It is well documented that he did.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:49 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:You don't mean to say you think Loh did anything to get Maryland into the B1G do you? Other than force the move internally?

It is well documented that he did.

What, picked up the phone?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:37 pm

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:08 pm

Robert Davis got a BC offer tonight. Got to assume that means Webb isn't coming here but I've liked Davis a bit better. More shift and speed with Davis.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:38 pm

This kid is really good. Speed,vision,isn't afraid of contact,and is really tough to take down.

bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby Iggle on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 am

has there been any word on Matt Patchan?
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 am

Iggle {l Wrote}:has there been any word on Matt Patchan?

He was still deciding as of last month
Shaddix
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium