UVA Game

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: UVA Game

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:42 pm

bcmurph {l Wrote}:Speaking of depth, anyone know what happened to Heckmann today?

He blew a few defensive assignment and found a seat next to Donahue.

He'll be gone next year anyway
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:44 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I am still convinced that Donahue is a good coach but he has major difficulty recruiting talent. I think it was only after the 2011 class that he realized what it takes to be successful in the ACC.

Next year is NCAA tourney or bust. I think we can make it and adding Owens will certainly help, but without more recruits we will still be thin.

I've started retyping a reply to this post four times, none could express just how dumb I think the first two lines are. Clifford, Anderson and Jackson are still fine, just like they were before this loss. There was no epiphany. The difference is that there was no longer an empty F'ing roster to fill with bodies in 2012.

I will be done with Donahue if they are not a bubble team next year. I nearly guarantee Donahue gets a fourth year if he has a .500 record next year and maybe even if not and I wonder what BC athletics department people who think otherwise have been watching. I'm not saying this is good, its generally terrible but it is what is likely to happen.

My problem from the 2011 class isn't that we recruited zero talented players, but rather that we lacked consistency. Anderson, Clifford, and Jackson were all good recruits who I was happy with from Day 1. They had few high major offers but were getting tons of interest - similar to Rahon and Hanlan. The problem is that Donahue combined getting under-the-radar recruits that had lot of potential with other players that had zero interest from any of the big conferences - Caudill, Odio, and arguably Heckmann. Donahue doesn't have to be Ed Cooley on the recruiting trail to be successful, but he should at least be successful enough to beat out other schools that are towards the top of mid-major conferences or towards the bottom of major conferences. Instead, half of Donahue's roster are players that not even Big East bottom feeders wanted.

This assessment of the 2011 class is dead wrong. Indiana tried to lure Clifford away. Anderson had offers from a ton of high majors. Heckmann had Michigan and Maryland offers.

All these kids minus Odio/Daniels had high major interest.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:26 pm

I'm getting sick of losing to UVA at sports.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby 73CAV on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:05 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:For those who didn't watch or pretend not to remember last year this is what last year was like.

We played much better last year at UVA. This performance is a joke

Which game at UVa? UVa won 66 - 49 in 2012, and Virginia shot 50% or better in both halves.
73CAV
n00b

Postby 2008Eagle on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:29 pm

73CAV {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:For those who didn't watch or pretend not to remember last year this is what last year was like.

Which game at UVa? UVa won 66 - 49 in 2012, and Virginia shot 50% or better in both halves.

Did you see that game? BC was only down a few until a couple minutes to go, then UVA ran away with it after BC ran out of gas late in the 2nd half.
2008Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby 73CAV on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:18 pm

2008Eagle {l Wrote}:
73CAV {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Did you see that game? BC was only down a few until a couple minutes to go, then UVA ran away with it after BC ran out of gas late in the 2nd half.

I don't remember it that way. At the half, it was UVa 31 - 23. In the second, UVA outscored BC 35 - 26. Virginia shot above 50% in each half. BC was 40% or lower in both halves. BC did go on a brief run (8 straight points) to tie things at about the 10 minute mark of the second half, but UVa outscored them 22 - 5 the rest of the way.
73CAV
n00b

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:34 pm

73CAV {l Wrote}:
2008Eagle {l Wrote}:
73CAV {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I don't remember it that way. At the half, it was UVa 31 - 23. In the second, UVA outscored BC 35 - 26. Virginia shot above 50% in each half. BC was 40% or lower in both halves. BC did go on a brief run (8 straight points) to tie things at about the 10 minute mark of the second half, but UVa outscored them 22 - 5 the rest of the way.

I sat court side. It was a close game at UVA
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:10 pm

73CAV {l Wrote}:
2008Eagle {l Wrote}:
73CAV {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

More importantly, were there any good sales at Costco that day?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:14 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
73CAV {l Wrote}:
2008Eagle {l Wrote}:
73CAV {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

More importantly, were there any good sales at Costco that day?

If I remember correctly (from watching) we were very close at some point maybe after the ten minute mark in the second half, then there was a typical Humphrey momentum killing series. One of those ones where he'd have a steal (or something else positive), then get ridiculously over excited, negate his positive action with an off balance NBA three with 38 seconds on the clock, dribble the ball off his foot,etc, then double down by doing the same thing the next two possessions.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:20 am

wouldn't that be trippling down?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:15 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:wouldn't that be trippling down?

umm, no he doubled down and then doubled down again. shut up.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:39 am

so quadrupling down then... because that would be double, doubling down. or is it like two negatives and actually the second dribble off the foot made them both positive?
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:52 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:so quadrupling down then... because that would be double, doubling down. or is it like two negatives and actually the second dribble off the foot made them both positive?

yes.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:10 pm

I want to clarify my post from yesterday. The way this re-build-thing was meant to work under Don was (a) get a large, recruiting class that is sprinkled with real talent, (b) supplement that class each recruiting year based upon needs that show-up as the big class develops, (c) get that big class to a bubble team/1-and-done NCAA appearance junior year and (d) ride the now senior-laden team through a solid NCAA Tourney run.

Don has accomplished (a) with the class of Clifford, Anderson, LoJack, Heck...
He has been doing a good job with (b) by filling in needs (Rahon and Hanlan) but still has been unable to land the much-needed big...
He still hasn't had a chance for (c) or (d).

The reason why I said I am beginning to wonder if next year will be Don's last is that, ideally, to accomplish a barely-in NCAA tourney bid next year, this year's team would be good enough for the NIT. It is really not that big of a deal that they got killed by UVA. As I said previously, very often, close losses hurt more than what happened Saturday. However, what absolutely NEEDS to happen is that this team needs to start winning games... some against impressive opponents. They NEED something tangible to show for all their hard work. If they don't start seeing it, you will see the kids trying to do too much and that's when beatdowns will occur with regularity.

If they don't take a concrete step forward this season in win totals (not moral victories), they will not be a bubble team next year. And, if they are not a bubble team next year, Don shouldn't be given 5th year. With the FB team in the crapper (and only BB enthralled by The Dazzler), I could see him trying to desperately make BC relevant by having a short leash with Don and replacing him with a "name" hire.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:13 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:...With the FB team in the crapper (and only BB enthralled by The Dazzler), I could see him trying to desperately make BC relevant by having a short leash with Don and replacing him with a "name" hire.

would the hiring of frank addazio sort of fly in the face of your suggestion...
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:38 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:...With the FB team in the crapper (and only BB enthralled by The Dazzler), I could see him trying to desperately make BC relevant by having a short leash with Don and replacing him with a "name" hire.

would the hiring of frank addazio sort of fly in the face of your suggestion...

:whammy
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:39 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:ideally, to accomplish a barely-in NCAA tourney bid next year, this year's team would be good enough for the NIT.

I don't think this is true.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:23 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:ideally, to accomplish a barely-in NCAA tourney bid next year, this year's team would be good enough for the NIT.

But, you don't think it is not true. VALUE ADDED!!!
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:35 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Well, either you actually meant "ideally," in which case an NIT berth is obviously not the ideal result from this years team to attain a "barely-in NCAA tourney bid," and are wrong because the words you typed are wrong. Or, the reader should ignore "ideally" and read the post as a whole and see that you are making the inartful argument that because the team is not poised for an NIT berth this year it certainly will not make the NCAA tournament next year, which is also wrong and I would be happy to point to examples of teams that did not earn an NIT berth in a given year but did make the NCAA tournament in the following year.

So no I don't think your statement is true.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 3:39 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

This year's team would be good enough for the NIT if Clifford were healthy. If he's healthy next season (and stays that way), the team could improve dramatically. That said, having the team's future determined by a seven-footer's gimpy knees is not the most comfortable situation.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby 73CAV on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:24 pm

In a view from afar, BC's problems are compounded by the fact that, even though their team is very young and hopefully will return everyone next year, most of the rest of the schools in the conference can make similar claims. BC may have the youngest starting five in the ACC, but it isn't separated, in this regard, from a lot of other teams in the conference. Miami is the only senior-laden unit which makes their position atop the conference standings more understandable. N C State will probably lose a lot, too, as I think a few of their players will go pro early to compound their senior losses. On the other hand, they have a pretty decent recruiting class matriculating next fall. Clemson's and VPI's losses wouldn't be so horrible except for the fact that there do not appear to be any replacements for them. Whatever Duke and UNC lose, they replace. Which leaves schools like Maryland, Wake, Virginia, FSU, and Georgia Tech. Three (Wake, UVa, and GT) only lose one senior each. In Virginia's case, we lose Jontel Evans, but replace him with two players currently redshirting (Malcolm Brogdon, a part-time starter from last year and Anthony Gill, a transfer from South Carolina who was on the All SEC frosh team last season) and two well regarded high school point guards. GT loses Udofia, Wake loses Harris, and FSU's only significant loss is Snaer. Maryland's losses will be easily replaced, I suspect. I fully expect BC to be a better team next year, but the competition in the conference is going to be much better also. Getting the folks in Greensboro to provide BC with a favorable conference schedule might be the most important factor in a successful conference season. Next year I see:
BC - Improved
Clemson- Worse
Duke - Little Change
FSU - Improved
Georgia Tech - Improved
UNC - Slightly Improved
N C State - Slightly worse
Maryland - Improved, if not gone.
Miami - Worse
Virginia - Improved
VPI - Worse, if possible
Wake - Improved

Then, of course, there are the additions of Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville. Being better may not be enough next year.
73CAV
n00b

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 28, 2013 6:37 pm

73CAV {l Wrote}:Next year I see:
BC - Improved
Clemson- Worse, if not gone
Duke - Little Change
FSU - Improved, if not gone
Georgia Tech - Improved, if not gone
UNC - Slightly Improved, if not gone
Miami - Worse
Virginia - Improved, if not gone
VPI - Worse, if possible
Wake - Improved

Then, of course, there are the additions of Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pitt, and Louisville. Being better may not be enough next year.

FIXED
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I want to clarify my post from yesterday. The way this re-build-thing was meant to work under Don was (a) get a large, recruiting class that is sprinkled with real talent, (b) supplement that class each recruiting year based upon needs that show-up as the big class develops, (c) get that big class to a bubble team/1-and-done NCAA appearance junior year and (d) ride the now senior-laden team through a solid NCAA Tourney run.

Don has accomplished (a) with the class of Clifford, Anderson, LoJack, Heck...
He has been doing a good job with (b) by filling in needs (Rahon and Hanlan) but still has been unable to land the much-needed big...
He still hasn't had a chance for (c) or (d).

The reason why I said I am beginning to wonder if next year will be Don's last is that, ideally, to accomplish a barely-in NCAA tourney bid next year, this year's team would be good enough for the NIT. It is really not that big of a deal that they got killed by UVA. As I said previously, very often, close losses hurt more than what happened Saturday. However, what absolutely NEEDS to happen is that this team needs to start winning games... some against impressive opponents. They NEED something tangible to show for all their hard work. If they don't start seeing it, you will see the kids trying to do too much and that's when beatdowns will occur with regularity.

If they don't take a concrete step forward this season in win totals (not moral victories), they will not be a bubble team next year. And, if they are not a bubble team next year, Don shouldn't be given 5th year. With the FB team in the crapper (and only BB enthralled by The Dazzler), I could see him trying to desperately make BC relevant by having a short leash with Don and replacing him with a "name" hire.

Heckmann stinks. I have no clue what game you're watching. That 2011 class is going to be his undoing.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby wildcat81 on Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:55 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
73CAV {l Wrote}:Next year I see:
BC - Improved
Clemson- Worse, if not gone
Duke - Little Change
FSU - Improved, if not gone
Georgia Tech - Improved, if not gone
UNC - Slightly Improved, if not gone
Miami - Worse
Virginia - Improved, if not gone
VPI - Worse, if possible
Wake - Improved

FIXED

I agree the big ACC is going to get better and BC could find itself falling instead of moving up with an more experience team.
wildcat81
Carney Hall

Previous

Return to Conte Forum