2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby bruisertm on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:38 pm

JUCO TE Marvin Fan Fan visited this weekend

[url] http://rutgers.scout.com/a.z?s=183&p=2& ... 61445.html [q/url]
bruisertm
n00b

Postby DuchesneEast on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:38 pm

I am not going to judge Daz off this year, it wont be fair to start looking at him until next June, but by this August, I will be curious how things are going.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby maxwell22 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:40 pm

If Walsh is the answer, why do we need Lowrie or Boyle?
Boyle had offers from Florida and Connecticut. I wonder if he is reconsidering his decision.
That said, this is not a good recruiting year for B.C. . . . and Boyle, according to some , is the highest rated recruit in the class!
maxwell22
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:45 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I am not going to judge Daz off this year, it wont be fair to start looking at him until next June, but by this August, I will be curious how things are going.

Exactly. Even though he couldn't close the deal, Daz beat out big name programs for Julian (who said he would have chose BC if not Toledo). He got Hilliman to put us in his top 5. His staff is impressive. It should be interesting.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:15 pm

Webb was supposed to announce his decision tomorrow, but after a trip to Minnesota, has said he will wait a little longer.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby basselope on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:10 pm

maxwell22 {l Wrote}:
Boyle had offers from Florida and Connecticut. I wonder if he is reconsidering his decision.
That said, this is not a good recruiting year for B.C. . . . and Boyle, according to some , is the highest rated recruit in the class!

Obviously, Chase will be the QB this coming fall, but having a little competition at QB for 2014 isn't going to hurt.

In 2014 we will only Bordner who will be a SR, & Suntrup who will be a Jr.
Having 3 QB is this incoming class puts us at 5 which is the ave amount.

On top of that, let's say Boyle wins the QB job in 2014 or 2015.
If that happens, Walsh is athletic enough to move to WR or S and contribute.
basselope
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:10 pm

maxwell22 {l Wrote}:If Walsh is the answer, why do we need Lowrie or Boyle?

I dont think Walsh is a definite answer. Theres a reason he had no BCS offers. I think that as a late pick up to fit Addazios system hes fine, but if Im Boyle I dont let this alter my decision. With a decent QB class next year, and the fact that BC hopefully has a good shot at Wolford (who's listed as a Pro Style but actually has a good deal of mobility) I think that Walsh is actually fits well as a flyer type, late fill in, who fits a system and could develop, but it wont be the end of the world if he doesn't.

The fact is, at QB, after Chase there is a huge question mark in Suntrup, and then nothing. We'll see how addazio manages the roster (with redshirts), but taking 3 in this case isnt as bad as it seems and hopefully all three guys realize that and stick. As had been mentioned before, I think that Boyle (or any traditional "pocket passer") can adapt and run Addazios system with Chris Crane being a prime example of a guy who has done it with Logan and had a great deal of success.

In regards to Boyle flipping, most of the previous offers he had already have a guy at QB. The one that scares me is Syracuse as their number 1 guy flipped to TCU with the coaching change and I believe they're taking 2 this season. Florida and Pitt have guys committed (Pitt has a guy on campus already) and yukon is a dumpster fire that I doubt Boyle would consider seriously.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Eagle1999 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:13 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:I am not going to judge Daz off this year, it wont be fair to start looking at him until next June, but by this August, I will be curious how things are going.

Exactly. Even though he couldn't close the deal, Daz beat out big name programs for Julian (who said he would have chose BC if not Toledo). He got Hilliman to put us in his top 5. His staff is impressive. It should be interesting.

Look, Daz couldn't beat out Toledo. To say he beat everyone else is just silly. Hilliman putting us in his top 5 after a visit means the visit wasn't awful and the kid is being respectful. What's impressive about this staff? Shit. Embarassingly, it isn't even complete yet. Why the hell not? Daz can't recruit coaches (who are paid) nevermind sign recruits (who get a free top-level education).

Oh wait, he got the Walsh kid today. Sprinkles on a shit sundae. Taking a MAC kid and jeopardizing one of the few DI recruits we actually have.

Bates - still managing like a MAC AD.
Daz - still recruiting like a MAC coach, bringing in MAC talent athletes.

If you want to take the wait and see approach fine. But there are more signs that the program is going to shit the bed than break TOB's fictitious glass ceiling.
Eagle1999
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Look, Daz couldn't beat out Toledo. To say he beat everyone else is just silly. Hilliman putting us in his top 5 after a visit means the visit wasn't awful and the kid is being respectful. What's impressive about this staff? Shit. Embarassingly, it isn't even complete yet. Why the hell not? Daz can't recruit coaches (who are paid) nevermind sign recruits (who get a free top-level education).

Oh wait, he got the Walsh kid today. Sprinkles on a shit sundae. Taking a MAC kid and jeopardizing one of the few DI recruits we actually have.

If you want to take the wait and see approach fine. But there are more signs that the program is going to shit the bed than break TOB's fictitious glass ceiling.

He chose Toledo because they were in for him since the beginning. BC beat out Wisconsin, NC State, and Clemson was getting in on the end. Even though its tough to give BC credit in a loss, they did what they could in under 2 months.

This is one of the dumbest posts i've seen on here.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:22 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

He chose Toledo because they were in for him since the beginning. BC beat out Wisconsin, NC State, and Clemson was getting in on the end. Even though its tough to give BC credit in a loss, they did what they could in under 2 months.

Sorry Shaddix, but I cannot agree with you on this one. Your statement that BC "beat out" other school is retarded. It means absolutely nothing unless you land a player over other programs that offered. Hats off to Toledo, but zero points for BC.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:45 pm

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Eagle1999 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Sorry Shaddix, but I cannot agree with you on this one. Your premise that BC "beat out" other school means is a retarded statement and unverifiable. It means absolutely nothing unless you land a player over other programs that offered. Hats off to Toledo, but zero points for BC.

Recruiting is all about relationships. Julian was clearly a loyal kid with strong connections to Toledo. BC will be competing with NC State often and its encouraging for me to know that we can stack up against them. Excluding Toledo, BC drew more interest then every other BCS school. If your going to criticize Spaz for not landing Julian then evaluate the total situation and not just the record.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:33 pm

basselope {l Wrote}:
Obviously, Chase will be the QB this coming fall, but having a little competition at QB for 2014 isn't going to hurt.

In 2014 we will only Bordner who will be a SR, & Suntrup who will be a Jr.
Having 3 QB is this incoming class puts us at 5 which is the ave amount.

On top of that, let's say Boyle wins the QB job in 2014 or 2015.
If that happens, Walsh is athletic enough to move to WR or S and contribute.

I hope this is the case and if it is, this offer makes sense. However, my first question is whether Walsh is good enough to warrant being the third QB in this class. His other offers indicate he is not (vs. someone like Julian, who clearly had high level BCS talent based on offers from schools like Wisconsin and Clemson). Again, that's an extremely inexact science, but it's all we have to go off of at this point. Hopefully I'm wrong and this becomes moot.

My bigger fear is that Daz won't have a straight up competition as you suggest. If he does, that's great and I take back much of my criticism regarding this offer. However, the very fact he made the third offer suggests to me that he is pretty fixated on having a mobile QB come hell or high water. If that's the case, will it be a true open competition or will someone like Boyle never have a chance? I guess only time will tell but it's a real concern to me at this point.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BC923 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 11:46 pm

bruisertm {l Wrote}:JUCO TE Marvin Fan Fan visited this weekend

did we all just pretend the last name "Fan Fan" was normal?
BC923
Merkert Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:33 am

Ever hear about injuries and recruits that do not pan out? Boyle can run too, in case anyone wants to check his film. BC needs more football players, and less pansies. Walsh looks like a good football player.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:23 am

I would have preferred Julian to Walsh; provided he was the first choice as it appeared and there is no reason to believe otherwise. I don't mind a third qb at all. According to posters who saw him throw three or four passes once Suntrup lacks ARM STRENGTH, Bordner is what he is and will only have one year post Chase. That's it for scholarship QBs on the roster.

So long as it doesn't push out Boyle or Lowrie, I have no issue with the move at all. It's not, not a position of need even if their is a glut in this class. We do need running backs and cornerbacks and defensive linemen more immediately but we need lots of things. Maybe Fan Fan (ha) will come in at DE if he signs on.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:38 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:So long as it doesn't push out Boyle or Lowrie, I have no issue with the move at all. It's not, not a position of need even if their is a glut in this class. We do need running backs and cornerbacks and defensive linemen more immediately but we need lots of things. Maybe Fan Fan (ha) will come in at DE if he signs on.

This. I have no problem with adding a 3rd QB either (assuming that we don't lose anyone and it is truly a 3rd QB). I also don't mind taking a kid from Solich (who is probably the overall best MAC coach out there). I do find it curious that The Dazzler didn't recruit Walsh at Temple. I like that he is more of a scrambling QB than a RB playing QB. I like that when he runs, it is North-South. I think he has to work on his accuracy and mechanics, I question his arm strength and "zip" but there isn't enough on film to get a good read on that. He reminds me a little bit of Johnny Football.

That said, I think we can stop pretending that Daziani isn't recruiting Temple verbals "because they were recruited to play in the Big East and just aren't good enough to play in the ACC." Very simply, that's a lie. If Vitamin A is such a superstar recruiter, there would clearly be talent at Temple good enough for the ACC. The reason I think he isn't grabbing anyone from Temple is because he promised he wouldn't. I actually don't have much problem with that, but, I know others do. BTW... the best player on Walsh's team is a DLineman named Mile McCollum. He is being recruited by Ivies and MAC. Given the need... probably is worth a look.

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:51 am

HJS {l Wrote}:That said, I think we can stop pretending that Daziani isn't recruiting Temple verbals "because they were recruited to play in the Big East and just aren't good enough to play in the ACC." Very simply, that's a lie. If Vitamin A is such a superstar recruiter, there would clearly be talent at Temple good enough for the ACC. The reason I think he isn't grabbing anyone from Temple is because he promised he wouldn't. I actually don't have much problem with that, but, I know others do.

On what are you basing the conclusion the non-recruitment of temple players is based on a promise not to and where did the quote "because they were recruited to play in the Big East and just aren't good enough to play in the ACC come from"? To add to this, I don't have a problem with a coach no poaching from his old program but do have a problem with a coach refusing to poach anywhere, which is just dumb and more likely lazy.

Out of the committed Temple players, there was a rumor that Kiser Terry might be a BC candidate based on a quote from his high school teammate Dorian Arthur. It seems unlikely because he had to prep and did so at Milford, which if I understand correctly is not much of a school.

I cut the part about Addazio not recruiting Walsh at Temple out of the quote, but it is also possible that a) Walsh blew up senior year after Addazio had a commitment from PJ Walker and/or that b) Walsh didn't want to go to Temple because it is Temple but did want to go to BC.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:07 am

FWIW, Walsh had the following quote:

"I had a relationship with coach Addazio back when he was recruiting me at Temple," Walsh said. "So when they were at Boston College and started showing interest I was pretty excited. Everything happened pretty quickly. The visit went really well. I liked the school a lot."

Walsh's rivals profile doesn't list Temple at all, so I wonder if Walsh simply knew he wanted to stay local if he wasn't going to be playing in a big 5 conference.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:14 am

31southst {l Wrote}:FWIW, Walsh had the following quote:

"I had a relationship with coach Addazio back when he was recruiting me at Temple," Walsh said. "So when they were at Boston College and started showing interest I was pretty excited. Everything happened pretty quickly. The visit went really well. I liked the school a lot."

Walsh's rivals profile doesn't list Temple at all, so I wonder if Walsh simply knew he wanted to stay local if he wasn't going to be playing in a big 5 conference.

Or... Daz recruited him while he was at Temple, but never offered.

On another note, Tyler Rouse visited this weekend. As I said earlier in this thread, if BC strikes out on their top RB targets to replace Daniels, I think they should give Rouse a chance.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:18 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:On what are you basing the conclusion the non-recruitment of temple players is based on a promise not to and where did the quote "because they were recruited to play in the Big East and just aren't good enough to play in the ACC come from"?

Timestamp January 9, 2013:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:The Rowland guy from EA says he doesn't think BC is recruiting any Temple players (including Terry) because the staff doesn't think they are good enough to play for BC. While this is conjecture and (I doubt true in some cases), it is still better than the perceived attitude of the former staff.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:25 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:On what are you basing the conclusion the non-recruitment of temple players is based on a promise not to and where did the quote "because they were recruited to play in the Big East and just aren't good enough to play in the ACC come from"?

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:The Rowland guy from EA says he doesn't think BC is recruiting any Temple players (including Terry) because the staff doesn't think they are good enough to play for BC. While this is conjecture and (I doubt true in some cases), it is still better than the perceived attitude of the former staff.

So on what are you basing the conclusion that the non-recruitment of temple players is based on a promise not to?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:26 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

So on what are you basing the conclusion that the non-recruitment of temple players is based on a promise not to?

swofford is a bad negotiator?
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:37 am

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

swofford is a bad negotiator?

I'm not calling out HJS for jumping to ridiculous conclusions right now, I'm simply not following the flow of thought. Addazio gets a commitment from a guy who he or may or may not have recruited at Temple does not equal a conclusion that Addazio is or is not attempting to poach temple players nor even assuming it did does it equal a conclusion that the decision whether to poach or not is based on talent level of current Temple commits relative to Addazio's expectations of talent for a BC player.

As shown in the timestamped post of mine above, I share HJS' disagreement that Addazio not poaching Temple because of talent thus "I doubt true in some cases." Although I doubt we share the same reasoning.

As best as I can tell the though process is the assumption that Walsh was not a good enough recruit for Addazio at Temple [several alternative possibilities ignored], therefore, since Addazio now has recruited him to BC, all Temple recruits are good enough to play for BC and therefore [major leap to assume Addazio is not attempting to poach temple players] Addazio is not poaching Temple players because of a promise [to someone].
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:19 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:

If you're not first, you're last.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:16 pm

bruisertm {l Wrote}:JUCO TE Marvin Fan Fan visited this weekend

This seems peculiar. Why wouldn't he have any stats?
http://asacollegeavengers.com/sports/fb ... iew=lineup

Are we interested in a kid who redshirted his first and only year in Juco???
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:46 pm

Raphael Webb said on the twitter box he's going to commit Wednesday
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:52 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Raphael Webb said on the twitter box he's going to commit Wednesday

It's BC vs Minnesota. FAU didn't wait and got a different running back
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby JConman on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:05 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:Raphael Webb said on the twitter box he's going to commit Wednesday

Someone on the other site said he's likely visiting Vandy this weekend and will go to Vandy if offered.
JConman
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:24 pm

JConman {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:

Someone on the other site said he's likely visiting Vandy this weekend and will go to Vandy if offered.

He confirmed on his twitter that he will decide Wednesday. I don't think Vandy is in anymore...looks like they won't offer
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:43 pm

Addazio is at Robert Davis' school right now and will do an in home visit later today.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium