2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby joesim on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:02 am

Donnie White Jr. flips commitment
January, 25, 2013
JAN 25
11:36
PM ET
By RecruitingNation | ESPN.com
RECOMMEND0COMMENTS0EMAILPRINT
De Smet Jesuit (St. Louis) product Donnie White Jr. has changed his pledge from Tulsa to New Mexico, according to multiple sources. He officially visited the Lobos on Jan. 11th.

White Jr., a three-star prospect, spent some of September on the road, making official visits to Tulsa (Sept. 21st) and Boston College (Sept. 28th). He later announced for the Golden Hurricane in November.

Arkansas, Arkansas State, Ball State, Miami-OH, Western Kentucky and Wyoming also extended scholarship offers to the 6-foot-2, 220-pound senior. Several other programs including Arizona State, Cincinnati, Duke, Illinois, Iowa State, Missouri and Rice showed interest.

ESPN writes in his evaluation, "White has room for improvement both physically and as a player, but the kid has some tools, and with a little more consistency and further development, he could be a productive college defensive end whose strength may be as a pass rusher."

He is now the highest-rated 2013 Lobo verbal.
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:10 am

While I do give the new staff a pass on this year's recruiting class, I do find it curiously comical that Daz is not only whiffing on his late offers to kids that end up choosing non BCS teams, but he's also losing the class' highest rated recruits. Kids that committed to BC knowing full well Spaziani would not be coming back as HC next season.

All in all, not a good start for Bates' boy, Daziani!
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby basselope on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:55 am

Not sure why Michael Julian picked Toledo but I do know that his HS coach would speak very highly of the Toledo coach.

To expand on what GreenvilleEagle pointed out

His HS Coach BJ Payne and the Toledo Coach Matt Campbell both grew up in Massillon Ohio
They both play DL in College at Mount Union on Div III National Championship teams.

Payne is 4 years older and played in 1995 - 1998 and Campbell followed him to Mount in 1999 - 2002.
I believe Payne actually recruited Campbell to Mount, so they would know each other very well.

As far as recruiting QB's, we are fine with Boyle & Lowrie.
basselope
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:58 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:While I do give the new staff a pass on this year's recruiting class, I do find it curiously comical that Daz is not only whiffing on his late offers to kids that end up choosing non BCS teams, but he's also losing the class' highest rated recruits. Kids that committed to BC knowing full well Spaziani would not be coming back as HC next season.

Agreed. But, I think what I (and most) find confounding about Daz's interim class here is that Daz isn't someone removed from the college game for a decade. He is someone who has been consistently and continuously on the recruiting trail. Spazoo assistants have left and taken our recruits (or kids we were recruiting) with them. Not only has The Dazzler failed to do that but he his assistants have ALSO failed in opening doors to 2013 kids they had been recruiting. It's somewhat troubling. Perhaps things change with a full year selling BC. Perhaps 2-10 is too toxic. Perhaps Daziani has some magical Rcruiting Coordinator he has been waiting to announce that will cure all of our problems. I don't know. But, even his most ardent supporters expected more on the recruiting front than what has been delivered.

What's crazy here is that, even though it's only 50 days later, I'd bet anything that BB wouldn't hire Dazoo if he had the chance to do it over again. The only good news here is that if (and that's a big IF) gets the chance to hire another coach in a major sport, he will know not to listen to the "We Are What We Are" assholes like Marin and Leo.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:25 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:While I do give the new staff a pass on this year's recruiting class, I do find it curiously comical that Daz is not only whiffing on his late offers to kids that end up choosing non BCS teams, but he's also losing the class' highest rated recruits. Kids that committed to BC knowing full well Spaziani would not be coming back as HC next season.

Agreed. But, I think what I (and most) find confounding about Daz's interim class here is that Daz isn't someone removed from the college game for a decade. He is someone who has been consistently and continuously on the recruiting trail. Spazoo assistants have left and taken our recruits (or kids we were recruiting) with them. Not only has The Dazzler failed to do that but he his assistants have ALSO failed in opening doors to 2013 kids they had been recruiting. It's somewhat troubling. Perhaps things change with a full year selling BC. Perhaps 2-10 is too toxic. Perhaps Daziani has some magical Rcruiting Coordinator he has been waiting to announce that will cure all of our problems. I don't know. But, even his most ardent supporters expected more on the recruiting front than what has been delivered.

What's crazy here is that, even though it's only 50 days later, I'd bet anything that BB wouldn't hire Dazoo if he had the chance to do it over again. The only good news here is that if (and that's a big IF) gets the chance to hire another coach in a major sport, he will know not to listen to the "We Are What We Are" assholes like Marin and Leo.

If you believe ATL, he DIDN'T listen to the "We Are What We Are" assholes as they supposedly told him NOT to hire the Dazzler.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby Iggle on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Did the "We are what we are" people remind Addazio that BC can't recruit dual threat QBs because we're a school that can't recruit dual threat QBs because we are what we are?
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:53 pm

This is a pretty big recruiting weekend for most schools. Why haven't we heard of any 2013 visitors???
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:56 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

If you believe ATL, he DIDN'T listen to the "We Are What We Are" assholes as they supposedly told him NOT to hire the Dazzler.

You have it wrong. What ATL said was that there were plenty of groups who gave input early in the process and warned BB about potential candidates. However, he ignored them in favor of the same tired folks who run the school (admin and Board) who were vocal in the hiring of Spazoo.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:47 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

You have it wrong. What ATL said was that there were plenty of groups who gave input early in the process and warned BB about potential candidates. However, he ignored them in favor of the same tired folks who run the school (admin and Board) who were vocal in the hiring of Spazoo.

Via ATL:

In his off-campus Pow Wow before Thanksgiving with select "friends of BC," the group told Brad Bates that three names would be deflating hires to the BC fanbase. Those names were Tim Murphy, Sean McDonnell and Steve Addazio.

I think we're saying the same thing which is that he went against the advice of people who told him not to hire Dazzler. I think I just believe this "friends of BC" group consisted of "We Are What We Are" douches.
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:17 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Via ATL:

In his off-campus Pow Wow before Thanksgiving with select "friends of BC," the group told Brad Bates that three names would be deflating hires to the BC fanbase. Those names were Tim Murphy, Sean McDonnell and Steve Addazio.

I think we're saying the same thing which is that he went against the advice of people who told him not to hire Dazzler. I think I just believe this "friends of BC" group consisted of "We Are What We Are" douches.

I know some who were a part of it and they are very, very far from the We Are What We Are types. They were the Flynn Fund guys and former players who were gutted by the hire because they believed BB's bullshit.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:42 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
EagleDave {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Via ATL:

I know some who were a part of it and they are very, very far from the We Are What We Are types. They were the Flynn Fund guys and former players who were gutted by the hire because they believed BB's bullshit.

I'd again like to see him coach a game before we proclaim this a bad hire
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:11 pm

Shuuuuuut uuuuuuuup
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:24 pm

Just to clarify, the group that met with Bates were not "we are what we are." They think BC should be as good as Stanford under Harbough or Coughlin 20 years ago.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby EagleDave on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:44 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Just to clarify, the group that met with Bates were not "we are what we are." They think BC should be as good as Stanford under Harbough or Coughlin 20 years ago.

The audacity...
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:34 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Just to clarify, the group that met with Bates were not "we are what we are." They think BC should be as good as Stanford under Harbough or Coughlin 20 years ago.

To further clarify you are not referring to grid iron club people right? Because a majority of those guys have either a we are what we are outlook or a fraternity outlook (hire one of us!) As far as I can tell.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:15 am

So it wasn't the marineagle type's that think hiring a coach will never leave is of the utmost importance?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:05 pm

Addazio got his QB. James Walsh committed.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:14 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Addazio got his QB. James Walsh committed.

I hope I'm wrong but I think this is a waste of a scholarship. It's not readily apparent that Walsh is a legit BCS level QB and it indicates to me that Daz is more tied to his system than playing the best players. I get that we'll need a QB next year and there's something to be said that throwing as many guys into the mix as possible will give us the most options, but it seems like a reach to me.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Seems to move well. His junior tape reminds me a lot of lowries (ie just throwing over secondary to wide open WR). No clue as to the level of talent in this section of Ohio. One the Ohio message boards suggested he would have plenty of bars to choose from in Boston to watch Ohio win bowl games (after getting there panties in a wad when he commited originally to Ohio).

I assume this means McEvoy is a no go (prob long shot anyway with Oregon on him)
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:07 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:

I hope I'm wrong but I think this is a waste of a scholarship. It's not readily apparent that Walsh is a legit BCS level QB and it indicates to me that Daz is more tied to his system than playing the best players. I get that we'll need a QB next year and there's something to be said that throwing as many guys into the mix as possible will give us the most options, but it seems like a reach to me.

This. The Daz hire gets worse every day.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:25 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:

This could be. If Boyle leaves that would not be great, but he seems solid ay this point. I do believe that if the pro style guys post chase all stink (suntrup, boyle, lowry) that it is easier to have a semi productive offense with a not good dual threat guy than a not good pro style guy.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:54 pm

Well, Walsh is certainly much better then any QB Temple has had in Addazio's reign
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby fs33 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:11 pm

fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 5:37 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:Well, Walsh is certainly much better then any QB Temple has had in Addazio's reign

Why are we still signing kids with no other BCS offers?

Sometimes, I really question the decision making in this athletic department concerning recruiting
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:16 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:Well, Walsh is certainly much better then any QB Temple has had in Addazio's reign

Why are we still signing kids with no other BCS offers?

Sometimes, I really question the decision making in this athletic department concerning recruiting

People said that about Monteroso and Daniels as well.... Walsh is also the number 22 rated dual threat QB according to rivals, ahead of FSU and Baylor commits. I don't think his film looks outstanding by any means, but he could develop into a pretty good QB.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby h2o on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:21 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Why are we still signing kids with no other BCS offers?

I question the decision making in this athletic department period. Except those made by The King and whoever the sailing coach is.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:40 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:People said that about Monteroso and Daniels as well.... Walsh is also the number 22 rated dual threat QB according to rivals, ahead of FSU and Baylor commits. I don't think his film looks outstanding by any means, but he could develop into a pretty good QB.

Monteroso had an Iowa offer when he committed to BC. Also, both earned new BCS offers during their senior year. Walsh didn't. Now I don't think Walsh is an awful player and I hope he ends up being Flutie 2.0 but given what we know it doesn't make a ton of sense to bring in a third QB to a small recruiting class who only has MAC offers.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:59 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:People said that about Monteroso and Daniels as well.... Walsh is also the number 22 rated dual threat QB according to rivals, ahead of FSU and Baylor commits. I don't think his film looks outstanding by any means, but he could develop into a pretty good QB.

Monteroso had an Iowa offer when he committed to BC. Also, both earned new BCS offers during their senior year. Walsh didn't. Now I don't think Walsh is an awful player and I hope he ends up being Flutie 2.0 but given what we know it doesn't make a ton of sense to bring in a third QB to a small recruiting class who only has MAC offers.

It makes no sense at all.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby basselope on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:23 pm

basselope
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:31 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:

I'm with you and epstein, BC should and will start recruiting better talent...but at the same time, I really thought Daniels and Monteroso were great pickups (although they didn't pan out).

Johnson, Ntantang, Rich, Kavalec, Gutaphel, and Little are here because Spaz couldn't/didn't want to recruit. Although Rich and Kavalec are two Ohio sleepers according to guys from scout and rivals.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium