2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:20 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Part of the issue with this last minute recruiting is that none of the services are paying any attention anymore. On TOS BC used to have there own "writer" and TGOSB used to contribute more or less weekly. Scout used to have someone covering BC, I don't know whether they do at all but it was terrible coverage anyway even on its best day. Now on EA, BC shares a "writer" with Kentucky. For perspective to how little attention is paid to BC, he has tweeted over 80 times about Kentucky recruiting since his last BC recruiting tweet.

I'm sure this is in large part because Stoops>>>>>Addazio and Kentucky is in the SEC and the rise of Louisville football has made Kentucky fans care more than they normally would and Cal is having a shitty season, but part of it is market driven too. Bottomline, I'd imagine there are other names than just Julian, Spearman, Webb, Davis, McEvoy, Garcia, Cooper, Rause and Walsh.

I don't really know much about 247, does bceagles24 run their BC site or something? Maybe they are different. I have no idea.

Nope not me that runs it but I wouldn't suggest it. EA is unfortunately the best place for any info at this point. Chris Anderson at 247 is a moron and scout doesn't have a BC writer anymore.

Sorry, my bad, I don't know why I thought that. I think you've more or less confirmed my point. There is no good bc recruiting information and the best source is an uninterested EA that when they did care were more propaganda ministry than reporting.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:27 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Part of the issue with this last minute recruiting is that none of the services are paying any attention anymore. On TOS BC used to have there own "writer" and TGOSB used to contribute more or less weekly. Scout used to have someone covering BC, I don't know whether they do at all but it was terrible coverage anyway even on its best day. Now on EA, BC shares a "writer" with Kentucky. For perspective to how little attention is paid to BC, he has tweeted over 80 times about Kentucky recruiting since his last BC recruiting tweet.

I'm sure this is in large part because Stoops>>>>>Addazio and Kentucky is in the SEC and the rise of Louisville football has made Kentucky fans care more than they normally would and Cal is having a shitty season, but part of it is market driven too. Bottomline, I'd imagine there are other names than just Julian, Spearman, Webb, Davis, McEvoy, Garcia, Cooper, Rause and Walsh.

I don't really know much about 247, does bceagles24 run their BC site or something? Maybe they are different. I have no idea.

Nope not me that runs it but I wouldn't suggest it. EA is unfortunately the best place for any info at this point. Chris Anderson at 247 is a moron and scout doesn't have a BC writer anymore.

Sorry, my bad, I don't know why I thought that. I think you've more or less confirmed my point. There is no good bc recruiting information and the best source is an uninterested EA that when they did care were more propaganda ministry than reporting.

JRowland does a pretty good job on TOS. TGOSB never posts there any more.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:08 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

JRowland does a pretty good job on TOS. TGOSB never posts there any more.

He does a fine job when he posts every 9 days. He without exaggeration has 80 Kentucky tweets since his last BC one.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Iggle on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:28 am

Since the Mandate™ is to keep all of Spaz's commits, does anyone know offhand how many scholarships Addazio has to offer? I know the team isn't graduating too many players this year.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby bc41irish39 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:29 pm

Apparently, Michael Julian committed to Toledo.
bc41irish39
n00b

Postby chuckiedukes on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:41 pm

yep, on the twitter box: https://twitter.com/MJ_22_ballin

matt campbell > dazzler
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby bceagles24 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:42 pm

bc41irish39 {l Wrote}:Apparently, Michael Julian committed to Toledo.

I know the kid said he was going to be loyal to schools there from the beginning but I didn't see this coming. Clemson just offered too weird choice.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby GreenvilleEagle on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:09 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

I know the kid said he was going to be loyal to schools there from the beginning but I didn't see this coming. Clemson just offered too weird choice.

Not all that weird. Julien's high school coach and Toledo's HC were team mates at Mt. Union.
GreenvilleEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:18 pm

GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

Not all that weird. Julien's high school coach and Toledo's HC were team mates at Mt. Union.

Someone picking a MAC school over an ACC school is bizarre. If he also had interest from B10 too, then it is flat-out historic.

One could hope that this may prompt The Dazzler to re-think his offensive philosophy and its likelihood of success at BC.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:22 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
GreenvilleEagle {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:

One could hope that this may prompt The Dazzler to re-think his offensive philosophy and its likelihood of success at BC.

One would hope.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:31 pm

Question- does anyone know which thing occurred here:

1) Julian chose Toledo over BC, NC State, Wisconsin and Clemson, presumably due to some kind of preexisting relationship and/or loyalty?
2) Julian chose Toledo over just BC, as NC State (Brissett), Wisconsin (someone) and Clemson (woullard) all had people ahead of him in line?
3) Julian made up his Non-BC, non BCS offers, or exaggerated non committable offers?
4) the merrymen answer, that he couldn't pass admissions even though there was no prior word of this anywhere?
V) other/pearl necklace/scrush2/HANSENPOST?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:33 pm

i voted (six) grudgesex
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:08 pm

7) beDazzler sucks!
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:13 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:7) beDazzler sucks!

I knew we should have hired Matt Campbell.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:54 pm

It really doesn't matter why we lost out on Julian. What I hope this impresses upon Daziani is that BC may not ever be able to successfully run the Chris Leak offense he prefers. I keep coming back to Logan and hope that The Dazzler is able to similarly adjust. BC can be successful with a mobile QB, but I think that such a QB has to be a MUCH better passer than runner... more a scrambler than a RB-playing-QB. The sooner Dazoo realizes this... the better we all will be.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:13 pm

Why in the world would the dazzler stop recruiting a running first throwing second qb, becuase he lost out of Julien? Does losing out on Julien, the first dual threat qb he has recruited at BC, mean that there are no dual threat qb's who would ever want to come to BC? Let's be realistic here. If Daz is out recruiting dual threat qb's then that is the type of offense he wants and will continue to recruit these type of kids. Is it the wrong offense for Bc in my mind, yes, but my mind doesnt count.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:15 pm

I think Boyle will be able to be the QB Daz wants
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:21 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Why in the world would the dazzler stop recruiting a running first throwing second qb, becuase he lost out of Julien? Does losing out on Julien, the first dual threat qb he has recruited at BC, mean that there are no dual threat qb's who would ever want to come to BC? Let's be realistic here. If Daz is out recruiting dual threat qb's then that is the type of offense he wants and will continue to recruit these type of kids. Is it the wrong offense for Bc in my mind, yes, but my mind doesnt count.

I don't believe Julian was Dazoo's first choice as a running QB. I believe he made runs at kids like Woulard and Brisset and didn't get anywhere with them. To me, Julian is evidence that even 4th tier run-first QBs are difficult for BC to land.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:23 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Why in the world would the dazzler stop recruiting a running first throwing second qb, becuase he lost out of Julien? Does losing out on Julien, the first dual threat qb he has recruited at BC, mean that there are no dual threat qb's who would ever want to come to BC? Let's be realistic here. If Daz is out recruiting dual threat qb's then that is the type of offense he wants and will continue to recruit these type of kids. Is it the wrong offense for Bc in my mind, yes, but my mind doesnt count.

I don't believe Julian was Dazoo's first choice as a running QB. I believe he made runs at kids like Woulard and Brisset and didn't get anywhere with them. To me, Julian is evidence that even 4th tier run-first QBs are difficult for BC to land.

I kind of agree with you, and don't know whether Addazio will ever get off the ground, but what do you think would have happened if Jags and/or Logan had stayed two more years with Davis?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Iggle on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:27 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

Everyone is difficult for BC to land right now. You handwaved away the reasons for Julian not picking BC as not mattering but they are completely relevant.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:54 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

I kind of agree with you, and don't know whether Addazio will ever get off the ground, but what do you think would have happened if Jags and/or Logan had stayed two more years with Davis?

First, Logan's offense (while a version of the spread) was pass-happy. Daz's version of the spread is more an evolution of Army's offense.
Second, Dom Davis fit that role as he became a very good passer. It should also be noted that DD was some last second recruit who the staff identified very quickly (along with Costanzo). Jags, while being removed from the college game, somehow was able to identify and sell kids better than Dazoo (which is simply incredible).
Third, Matt Ryan changed Logan. While Logan preferred a scrambler, Ryan showed how accuracy was the most important element to his offense.

The only passer Daz has ever had was Brantley. And Daz himself acknowledges that he handled that terribly. He is going to need to adjust (or just let HCRD take complete control). If he doesn't, he's even money to have a shorter tenure than his predecessor.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:56 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

I wholeheartedly agree and don't think the West Virginia/Oregon style will work at BC. Even in down times, we always can recruit pro-style QBs and Oline.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:52 pm

Looks like a loyalty thing with Julian:

"I have committed to Toledo," Julian stated Friday. "They were with me from the start and stayed with me all the way. A lot of great programs came in late, but Toledo impressed me from the start and I love the coaching staff. My second choice would have been Boston College."
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:55 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Looks like a loyalty thing with Julian:

"I have committed to Toledo," Julian stated Friday. "They were with me from the start and stayed with me all the way. A lot of great programs came in late, but Toledo impressed me from the start and I love the coaching staff. My second choice would have been Boston College."

yay, we're second place! :fam
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby NJM89 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:59 pm

O well good luck to the kid. Still got two great qb's coming in next year. Good thing about having Washington back on staff is that him and 2014 QB WIll Ulmer were pretty close. Looks like he starting to blow up so hopefully we can make a run at him since he will be one of the top dual threats.
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:03 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:O well good luck to the kid. Still got two great qb's coming in next year. Good thing about having Washington back on staff is that him and 2014 QB WIll Ulmer were pretty close. Looks like he starting to blow up so hopefully we can make a run at him since he will be one of the top dual threats.

Will Ulmer could be a program changing recruit, he's very very good.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:13 pm

Probably no shocker here, but Monteroso committed to Purdue over Maryland.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:05 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

First, Logan's offense (while a version of the spread) was pass-happy. Daz's version of the spread is more an evolution of Army's offense.
Second, Dom Davis fit that role as he became a very good passer. It should also be noted that DD was some last second recruit who the staff identified very quickly (along with Costanzo). Jags, while being removed from the college game, somehow was able to identify and sell kids better than Dazoo (which is simply incredible).
Third, Matt Ryan changed Logan. While Logan preferred a scrambler, Ryan showed how accuracy was the most important element to his offense.

The only passer Daz has ever had was Brantley. And Daz himself acknowledges that he handled that terribly. He is going to need to adjust (or just let HCRD take complete control). If he doesn't, he's even money to have a shorter tenure than his predecessor.

I could tear through this bad reasoning but there is no point.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:13 pm

A sad state of affairs when a career as a Mud Hen is chosen over one as a Golden Eagle.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:30 pm

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

A sad state of affairs when a career as a Mud Hen is chosen over one as a Golden Eagle.

Whatever. Have fun in Toledo kid. Maybe he can drive over to the big city and visit monteroso in west Lafayette.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium