2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:47 am

HJS {l Wrote}:As for recruiting territories, it would certainly help if someone has North Jersey recruiting ties. That said, Jersey is going to get harder and harder to recruit. Rutgers will continue to be relevant though I don't expect that they will land any more kids than they have in recent years. The Big Ten move solidifies the future of their program, but it likely will significantly cut their success (which was born exclusively from terrible scheduling). However, the Big Ten move will make all the Big Ten schools much more attractive an alternative than BC. BC should, however, still be able to land a few kids who are looking for academics. But, I don't believe we will ever see years where we land any more than 5 from the Garden State.

I am disappointed that we don't have anyone assigned to Cali. BC has a very good reputation out there. Cali sends a ton of regular students to BC every year. It has robust Catholic schools. And, BC FB and BB has proven that they can land top talent from the State. I'm not suggestion we have a guy who visits every school. But, I certainly would like one of these last two hires to have a connection or two out there and is willing to reach out to the Catholic schools (in a somewhat targetted attempt). I think the same could be said about Texas.

Why is Jersey going to be harder? I agree that Rutgers will not return to a non-entity. I think the combination of a bad hire in Flood and real competition will probably result in a lot of 5-6 win bottom of conference records in the short term, but they will not be pre-Schiano rutgers again. I think the question turns to whether Spaz has caused enough reputational damage that our own unattractiveness carry significantly beyond his tenure. This seems possible. It no longer seems as likely that Syracuse will be the threat they were on a trajectory to be. The factories have always or at least for the last decade plus come in to NJ and taken their pick of top guys, so I don't see that as changing. I guess Golden is making Miami more of a player than they have been. I see NJ recruiting remaining more difficult than it was 5 years ago but I don't understand why it would be harder? Also as something of an aside, in the last 10 recruiting classes we have signed 5 NJ recruits two times, once in Jags' 2008 class and once in Spaz's 2011 class, TOB did 4 once in the Toal class. TOB's 1999 class did have 7, but is an outlier in terms of numbers.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:07 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:As for recruiting territories, it would certainly help if someone has North Jersey recruiting ties. That said, Jersey is going to get harder and harder to recruit. Rutgers will continue to be relevant though I don't expect that they will land any more kids than they have in recent years. The Big Ten move solidifies the future of their program, but it likely will significantly cut their success (which was born exclusively from terrible scheduling). However, the Big Ten move will make all the Big Ten schools much more attractive an alternative than BC. BC should, however, still be able to land a few kids who are looking for academics. But, I don't believe we will ever see years where we land any more than 5 from the Garden State.

I am disappointed that we don't have anyone assigned to Cali. BC has a very good reputation out there. Cali sends a ton of regular students to BC every year. It has robust Catholic schools. And, BC FB and BB has proven that they can land top talent from the State. I'm not suggestion we have a guy who visits every school. But, I certainly would like one of these last two hires to have a connection or two out there and is willing to reach out to the Catholic schools (in a somewhat targetted attempt). I think the same could be said about Texas.

Why is Jersey going to be harder? I agree that Rutgers will not return to a non-entity. I think the combination of a bad hire in Flood and real competition will probably result in a lot of 5-6 win bottom of conference records in the short term, but they will not be pre-Schiano rutgers again. I think the question turns to whether Spaz has caused enough reputational damage that our own unattractiveness carry significantly beyond his tenure. This seems possible. It no longer seems as likely that Syracuse will be the threat they were on a trajectory to be. The factories have always or at least for the last decade plus come in to NJ and taken their pick of top guys, so I don't see that as changing. I guess Golden is making Miami more of a player than they have been. I see NJ recruiting remaining more difficult than it was 5 years ago but I don't understand why it would be harder? Also as something of an aside, in the last 10 recruiting classes we have signed 5 NJ recruits two times, once in Jags' 2008 class and once in Spaz's 2011 class, TOB did 4 once in the Toal class. TOB's 1999 class did have 7, but is an outlier in terms of numbers.

The factories have rarely had trouble identifying and plucking the elite from Jersey. In the late 90s/early 00s, BC did very well with landing that "next level" from the State. Schiano targetted those kids in his rise. RU will still have some success with those kids just because they won't be falling into oblivion like UConn. That said, what makes it HARDER is the increased attention schools like Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern, MSU, WIsco, Nebraska and PSU will place on the State. If a kid wants to leave the Jerz, he will likely favor other Big Ten schools (as Jersey will now be bombarded with Big Ten nonsense).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

The factories have rarely had trouble identifying and plucking the elite from Jersey. In the late 90s/early 00s, BC did very well with landing that "next level" from the State. Schiano targetted those kids in his rise. RU will still have some success with those kids just because they won't be falling into oblivion like UConn. That said, what makes it HARDER is the increased attention schools like Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Northwestern, MSU, WIsco, Nebraska and PSU will place on the State. If a kid wants to leave the Jerz, he will likely favor other Big Ten schools (as Jersey will now be bombarded with Big Ten nonsense).

The BigTen angle could well make it more difficult for BC. Iowa has definitely gotten a fair amount of NJ recruits over the last decade+ and Wisconsin has had some involvement and I would not be surprised to see more. PSU was a much bigger player before the latter part of Joe Pa's run. I'd imagine they will return to what they were. That may bite us, or it may bite Rutgers, which then in turn might bite us. What will be interesting is whether we can get back to the 2008-2010 level where it is not a nearly foregone conclusion that an NJ recruit would pick Rutgers over BC (prior to that time the opposite was mostly true).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:45 pm

Webb down to 3

The 5-foot-9, 185-pound back says that it is a three team race for his services as of today.

“Boston College, FAU, and Minnesota,” Webb said. “No order.”

Other schools trying to make an impact with Webb down the stretch include South Florida, who has offered, and Vanderbilt, who has not offered.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:56 pm

From whom, did BC receive a commitment late today?
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:08 pm

SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:From whom, did BC receive a commitment late today?

?? there is a snarky post on EA titled "commitment" where the body of the post reads something along the lines of just wanted to make sure the word wasn't banned on this site. Is that why you're asking or have you heard something?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:12 pm

Eagle Action premium post..
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:13 pm

SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:Eagle Action premium post..

The one I just referred to by Deck27?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Stony Brook board was getting real nervous about their 2 star QB commit, who supposedly is as bad as Dominique Davis.. I incorrectly guessed that BC must have swooped in and snared him. We have needs pressing needs at DL, LB, WR, DB (need about 4), TE, OL and we are looking for a QB who is a project.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:49 am

Webb will be announcing his college decision next Monday.
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby chuckiedukes on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:21 am

I realize we went 2-10 last year but for the recruiting gurus, what would it say about our future under Dazzler if we couldn't beat out FAU and Minnesota for a two-star RB? Would this be a major red flag coming on the heels of the Monteroso and Daniels decommits, or just a sad reality for for any 2-10 team going through a coaching transition?
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:22 am

SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:Stony Brook board was getting real nervous about their 2 star QB commit, who supposedly is as bad as Dominique Davis.. I incorrectly guessed that BC must have swooped in and snared him. We have needs pressing needs at DL, LB, WR, DB (need about 4), TE, OL and we are looking for a QB who is a project.

I would take a lot of Stony Brook recruits right now, they're better than BC at football.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:34 am

BC is apparently looking at a Ray Rice-like RB...
http://www.hudl.com/athlete/405678/#highlights/18284413
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:45 am

HJS {l Wrote}:BC is apparently looking at a Ray Rice-like RB...

He is the new "target" in TOS' Notebook. Says he is a "high character" kid which usually means slow.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:21 pm

According to ESPN, BC is unlikely to bring in Julian.

So, I don't know about EA or EO, but 247 said that BC leads for Julian.

Gotta renew my ESPN subscription, so if anyone has access to insider, can you post the full breakdown on BC in the "ACC Recruiting Breakdown"?
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:35 pm

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:According to ESPN, BC is unlikely to bring in Julian.

Gotta renew my ESPN subscription, so if anyone has access to insider, can you post the full breakdown on BC in the "ACC Recruiting Breakdown"?

It's not even worth posting. ESPN is the worst unless its Bama, Florida, Florida State, LSU, or Auburn.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:According to ESPN, BC is unlikely to bring in Julian.

It's not even worth posting. ESPN is the worst unless its Bama, Florida, Florida State, LSU, or Auburn.

That's very true.
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby chuckiedukes on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:04 pm

Boston College
Commitments: 15
ESPN 300 commitments: 0
Who they have: New coach Steve Addazio did a good job of keeping the class intact for the most part when he arrived to Boston College. Addazio is a Northeast guy and should do well recruiting in the future, too. The key was keeping top-rated commit and No. 36 pocket passer Tim Boyle (Middletown, Conn./Xavier). Boyle will have a few targets joining him in three-star receivers Charles Callinan (Jersey City, N.J./St. Peter's Prep) and Dan Monteroso (St. Clairsville, Ohio/St. Clairsville). The staff also did a good job of keeping Myles Willis in the class as Willis considered visiting schools when Frank Spaziani was let go.
Who they want: The weekend of Jan. 18 was supposed to be a big visitor weekend for the Eagles, but the list of visitors kept getting smaller as the weekend began. Three-star Gainesville (Fla.) running back Raphael Webb and Silas Spearman (Loxahatchee, Fla./Seminole) made the visit from the Sunshine State. The Eagles were hoping to get a chance to flip Damon Mitchell and Wendell Dunn, but neither made the trip. Hilton Head (S.C.) quarterback Michael Julian is a prospect the Eagles want to bring in as well, but it appears unlikely they will have an opportunity. Three-star guard Jack McDonald is from the Eagles' backyard in Boston College High School, but he is committed to Virginia.
-- Jared Shanker
chuckiedukes
n00b

Postby GT BoSox on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:22 pm

chuckiedukes {l Wrote}:Boston College
Who they have: New coach Steve Addazio did a good job of keeping the class intact for the most part when he arrived to Boston College. Addazio is a Northeast guy and should do well recruiting in the future, too. The key was keeping top-rated commit and No. 36 pocket passer Tim Boyle (Middletown, Conn./Xavier). Boyle will have a few targets joining him in three-star receivers Charles Callinan (Jersey City, N.J./St. Peter's Prep) and Dan Monteroso (St. Clairsville, Ohio/St. Clairsville). The staff also did a good job of keeping Myles Willis in the class as Willis considered visiting schools when Frank Spaziani was let go.
Who they want: The weekend of Jan. 18 was supposed to be a big visitor weekend for the Eagles, but the list of visitors kept getting smaller as the weekend began. Three-star Gainesville (Fla.) running back Raphael Webb and Silas Spearman (Loxahatchee, Fla./Seminole) made the visit from the Sunshine State. The Eagles were hoping to get a chance to flip Damon Mitchell and Wendell Dunn, but neither made the trip. Hilton Head (S.C.) quarterback Michael Julian is a prospect the Eagles want to bring in as well, but it appears unlikely they will have an opportunity. Three-star guard Jack McDonald is from the Eagles' backyard in Boston College High School, but he is committed to Virginia.
-- Jared Shanker

That's what I saw. Thought there was more...

I see they must have missed the fact that Monteroso de-committed.
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:32 pm

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:
chuckiedukes {l Wrote}:Boston College
-- Jared Shanker

That's what I saw. Thought there was more...

I see they must have missed the fact that Monteroso de-committed.

It was probably written last week, before Julian visited.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:36 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

He is the new "target" in TOS' Notebook. Says he is a "high character" kid which usually means slow.

other new "targets"

A USF commit DE named Robert Garcia who the staff visited last week and a WR named Tristan Cooper. Also, I think this was on here already, they are going after James Walsh who is a current Ohio commit if they can't get Julian.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:48 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Call me crazy, but I'm impressed with his film.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:51 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Seconded.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:00 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Seconded.

what is the competition like?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:09 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

Seconded.

what is the competition like?

It's a suburb of Syracuse, so "mediocre" is probably fair. Not sure what level his school is playing.

EDIT: the high school has 1421 students so it is probably close to class A
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:12 pm

2766 yards and 44 TDs. They went 8-2
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:13 pm

They are Class A. They crushed Rome Free Academy

SCOREBOARD
Date OPPONENT LOCATION TIME
SCORE
B'ville - Opponent
August 25th Central Square (Scrimmage) Central Square 10:00 AM
NA

August 31st Cicero-North Syracuse Bragman Complex 7:00 PM 34 - 07
September 7th Henninger Pelcher-Arcaro 6:30 PM 47 - 42
September 14th Fayetteville-Manlius Pelcher-Arcaro 7:00 PM 25 - 34
September 21st Rome Free Academy Rome 7:00 PM 59 - 28
September 28th Auburn Pelcher-Arcaro 6:30 PM 56 - 12
October 5th Liverpool Liverpool HS Stadium 7:00 PM 54 - 29
October 12th Thomas R Proctor HS Pelcher-Arcaro 6:30 PM 40 - 32
October 19th Central Square Pelcher-Arcaro 6:30 PM 63 - 20
October 26th Fayetteville-Manlius Liverpool HS Stadium 8:00 PM 38 - 36
November 3rd Christian Brothers Academy Carrier Dome 3:00 PM 24 - 35
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:18 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

other new "targets"

A USF commit DE named Robert Garcia who the staff visited last week and a WR named Tristan Cooper. Also, I think this was on here already, they are going after James Walsh who is a current Ohio commit if they can't get Julian.

I am actually happy with this caliber recruit as last minute guys. Garcia has offers from USF (committed) and Iowa State. Cooper has an Iowa State offer as well along with a couple Ivies.

The only one that seems like a reach to me is Walsh. Granted, he has a bunch of MAC offers so he'd fit in well with the rest of this class, but does he really warrant being the QB in this small class? Stuff like this leads me to believe that Daz will force feed players to his system and not bend his system to the best players he has. Obviously it's possible Walsh is better than Boyle and Lowrie, but I'd guess against it.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:They are Class A. They crushed Rome Free Academy

SCOREBOARD
SCORE
B'ville - Opponent
NA

Is Class A the highest or lowest? In PA the more A's the better the level.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:They are Class A. They crushed Rome Free Academy

SCOREBOARD
SCORE
B'ville - Opponent
NA

Is Class A the highest or lowest? In PA the more A's the better the level.

In NY Class A is the biggest schools, or at least it was. Regardless, RFA and Liverpool are two of the biggest high schools in upstate. RFA used to be a football powerhouse, and I believe CBA still is.

EDIT - I believe NY is Class A, B, C, D. These schools are AA, which may be the biggest
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium