2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby bceagles24 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:27 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:Why didn't Spearman have an offer from Temple? Not good enough for Temple but good enough for BC? This makes no sense to me.

He was a Don Brown guy. I actually like his film a lot. Also think he's probably having to meet with the admission people as well when he comes up.

In that case did he have a UConn offer? Same problem applies - if he didn't warrant a UConn offer with a coordinator pushing him, why now a BC offer? Also, are we looking at him as an RB or some sort of DB?

Believe it's running back and like I said from what it seems he's worked hard in the classroom but still seems kind of borderline so that's why he doesn't have offers yet I would guess.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:29 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:Why didn't Spearman have an offer from Temple? Not good enough for Temple but good enough for BC? This makes no sense to me.

He was a Don Brown guy. I actually like his film a lot. Also think he's probably having to meet with the admission people as well when he comes up.

In that case did he have a UConn offer? Same problem applies - if he didn't warrant a UConn offer with a coordinator pushing him, why now a BC offer? Also, are we looking at him as an RB or some sort of DB?

Good article for some insight http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/sports/high-school-football/silas-spearman-finds-maturity-success-at-seminole-/nTXDk/
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:45 am

BC isn't as hard to get into as you would think for an athlete. I personally know a recruit who BC was pushing for who had a 2.6-2.8 gpa and he ended up going to a B10 school
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:32 am

It is not the 2.6 cum that is the problem. If the prospective recruit has that score (acceptable) but is at a shitty Florida school, and he can not solve 1 + 3, it gives BC pause to admit such a kid. Schools can make up grades as they wish.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:34 am

gaelfu {l Wrote}:When does this awesome recruiting kick in again?

apparently there are a bunch of recruits coming Friday for official visits. So sometime after that.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:35 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
bruisertm {l Wrote}:Dan Monteroso rated as a 76 and #103 WR per ESPN today

Very accurate. I have a feeling they are going to rate Leshun Daniels similar

Comparing Monteroso to Daniels is proving prophetic.

If your talking about how they are both rated 131 in their position on ESPN, or rivals rating of Daniels as the 66th best player in the state, Monteroso being the 73rd, then sure. Didn't rate Daniels as high as i expected though.

EDIT: Didn't realize Monteroso was visiting Purdue today, I still think he stays but we will see.

The Dazzler strikes again!!!

Seriously, are we ever going to get another commit or what??!! Fuck. :dildodog

I sure hope The Dazzler turns out better than the last coach we supposedly hired because of his great recruiting :spaz2

Regardless, Stank Daziani has done absolutely nothing to allay the concerns pretty much everyone immediately raised when he was shockingly announced (outside of stealing UConn's DC for the same position). No coach will ultimately be judged solely upon how he handled the transition period. However, a controversial hire can certainly win some goodwill by kicking ass during it. Further, the players that he signs in a few weeks will go a long way in determining his coaching fate.

this post reads like a goth teenager cutting themselves.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:53 am

Update on Webb...

His current top 5 are Vanderbilt, USF, Boston College, Minnesota, FAU.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:16 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

apparently there are a bunch of recruits coming Friday for official visits. So sometime after that.

Rivals says the following guys are visiting:

QB Michael Julian
RB Silas Spearman
RB Raphael Webb
QB/ATH Damon Mitchell (GT commit)
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:22 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

QB Michael Julian
RB Silas Spearman
RB Raphael Webb

I am underwhelmed by this list.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:28 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

QB Michael Julian
RB Silas Spearman
RB Raphael Webb

I am underwhelmed by this list.

why? to elaborate on my question offer lists for each:

Webb: Rutgers, USF, Minnesota
Mitchell: G-tech, Wisconsin, Iowa, Rutgers, Arkansas, UConn Cuse
Spearman: none
Julian: NC State, Wisconsin, Arizona, Indiana

These would be three of our 4 or 5 best offer lists out of our current recruits. Now, I know its late in the process which skews things but they look OK.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:17 pm

I'm underwhelmed by Spearman. But, the others are promising.

BTW... I take absolutely no solace from those who say Spearman is under-the-radar only because he had the GPA of a functional illiterate. All that means is that he will come to BC... will likely not be good enough to see significant time... and then ruin our grad rates when he can't make it through class.

I think getting an official from Mitchell is very impressive and I'm happy they haven't given up on Julian (though we likely would only take one of the two).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:38 pm

I think they'd take both Mitchell could be an excellent S as well doubt they would turn him down.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:50 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:I think they'd take both Mitchell could be an excellent S as well doubt they would turn him down.

Mitchell wants to play QB. You can sell him on being the only Daz-like QB in the class. But, it is highly unlikely he would be willing to be the FOURTH QB prospect in the BC class of 2013. That said, BC should gladly take both if they wanted to come aboard. I'm just saying it is highly unlikely for one of them commit after the other.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:15 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
bceagles24 {l Wrote}:I think they'd take both Mitchell could be an excellent S as well doubt they would turn him down.

Mitchell wants to play QB. You can sell him on being the only Daz-like QB in the class. But, it is highly unlikely he would be willing to be the FOURTH QB prospect in the BC class of 2013. That said, BC should gladly take both if they wanted to come aboard. I'm just saying it is highly unlikely for one of them commit after the other.

Agreed I don't think they will land both but they would if they could I think I misunderstood what you were saying. Not sure which one I'd rather have I lean toward Mitchell because I still think one of Lowrie or Boyle will fit in the system.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Tue Jan 15, 2013 4:54 pm

Other big time programs bring in multiple QB/ATH each year. BC needs talent and I wouldn't deny any ACC level player who wanted to commit. Their play will determine the position they end up in, but it is unlikely that all four would commit. BC really needs a pass rushing DE. That's the most glaring hole in this and the last four Spazian recruiting classes.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:50 am

31southst {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

QB Michael Julian
RB Silas Spearman
RB Raphael Webb

JR says Wake commit LB Wendell Dunn will be visiting as well. Offers from UConn and WVU in addition to Wake.

If Daz is half the recruiter he's supposed to be, we should be able to land both RBs, 1 QB, and Dunn. I want to see him able to sell his vision and early PT and beat out some peer type programs.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:24 pm

question for the recruiting weirdos? Why/how does Syracuse have 5 community college/Juco recruits out of their total 13? Isn't that incredibly weird?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby fs33 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:08 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:question for the recruiting weirdos? Why/how does Syracuse have 5 community college/Juco recruits out of their total 13? Isn't that incredibly weird?

JuCo's are more comfortable being videotaped in the locker room.
fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:49 pm

fs33 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:question for the recruiting weirdos? Why/how does Syracuse have 5 community college/Juco recruits out of their total 13? Isn't that incredibly weird?

JuCo's are more comfortable being videotaped in the locker room.

Yeah but youd think they be too old for Bernie
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby joesim on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:00 pm

Who's the juco QB visiting?
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:12 pm

Tanner McEvoy might visit. Formerly from NJ went to South Carolina and got arrested then left or got dismissed cant remember.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:39 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Tanner McEvoy might visit. Formerly from NJ went to South Carolina and got arrested then left or got dismissed cant remember.

Did McEvoy get arrested at USC? There was a problem at Bergen (I think he went there) but hadn't heard of anything recently

Edit: Didn't realize he had left SC for Juco. I thought out of HS he projected more as a WR/TE but he wanted to play QB, as he hadn't played much QB in high school.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:38 pm

Wendell Dunn not visiting
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:52 am

Day is visiting with Monteroso tomorrow night.

Sounds like Frye will be recruiting IL & Indiana; Fitch Florida; Albert NY & NJ; and McGovern is back in NJ.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:12 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Tanner McEvoy might visit. Formerly from NJ went to South Carolina and got arrested then left or got dismissed cant remember.

McEvoy was originally down to Oregon and West Virginia, however he has decided to look at Wisconsin and Boston College.

"I might take a trip to either or both of them, I'm not sure. I don't have anything planned but I'm thinking about looking at those schools as well. I'll probably wait until closer to signing day to make my decision. But not too long."

McEvoy is the No. 33 overall player in the JUCO ranks and the No. 1 player at his position.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:19 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:Wendell Dunn not visiting

So... in typical BC fashion... we come up with a list of 5 names who are visiting and the best 2 never make it to campus.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:30 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

Did McEvoy get arrested at USC? There was a problem at Bergen (I think he went there) but hadn't heard of anything recently

Edit: Didn't realize he had left SC for Juco. I thought out of HS he projected more as a WR/TE but he wanted to play QB, as he hadn't played much QB in high school.

Here is what I posted about him back in 2010...
HJS {l Wrote}:
bignick33 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:Daniels - this is great news for BC! The players we pull out of Ohio are almost always gamers. At the very least they are contributors. I suspect Daniels will end up being one of the gems on the field for BC, and I wouldn't even be surprised if we see him out there next year (I think either he or Duggan will see PT). I agree with others that Stewart may be a nice fit at SS. In that case he most definitely has a chance to see PT next year. I agree with others that ALJ would be a huge late pull for BC. Other than that I prefer to see us get at least one good S, and some more good O Lineman. RB's and WR's can wait til next year, unless say we can get McEvoy. The depth looks fine to me at those spots.

Im pretty sure McEvoy has stated that he wants to play QB in college and I dont think hes considering BC. I think with the way the freshman receivers were used this year and not redshirted, at least 1 WR in this class should be a consideration (as previously mentioned Juwan Caesar or Bridge)

Anyone else here rumors involving off-the-field activities that Tanner in trouble with local authorities and allegedly almost kicked out of Bergen (i.e. he's lucky he's the star of their FB team)???

Alright, I'll say it. He was arrested for allegedly selling weed about a month ago (as you clearly know), per a bunch of message board posts I've read. To be fair to him...I haven't seen it mentioned by any legitimate media source. Based on this (assuming it's true), I figure he's bound for North Carolina or South Carolina (most likely the latter). Would Rutgers even take him at this point?

The kid is a stud athlete. He is not a QB. RU would take him in a heartbeat. That is inline with the rumor I heard. But, I heard if more from the HS implications side. The rumor I heard was that the school decided to kick him out. I heard that the parents went ballistic and threatened to sue (went as far as hiring an attorney) and the school acquiesced. Don't know the validity of it as it came from Bosco sources.

and
HJS {l Wrote}:RU is not in the running. RU claims it is because of his run-ins in high school (though that is suspect considering their track record).

and
HJS {l Wrote}:McGovern's brother is the Bergen Catholic AD. So, BC knows everything in the freaking world about the kid and his issues. So, if he is recruited or not will speak volumes about his off-field issues. The kid is an effing player. He would be a sick, sick TE or possession WR.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:35 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Day is visiting with Monteroso tomorrow night.

Sounds like Frye will be recruiting IL & Indiana; Fitch Florida; Albert NY & NJ; and McGovern is back in NJ.

I am pretty damn sure that Fitch is our Ohio recruiter. In the article in some random Ohio paper which announced his hiring, it said that Fitch was in town visiting with Monteroso.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Coppet to Bowling Green.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby joesim on Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:32 am

Michael Parker won't let the NCAA recruiting calendar force his decision.

The ESPN 300 prospect said he won't announce any decision or sign with a school on national signing day. He'll visit his two finalists, Miami and Arizona State, in late March, meaning a decision might not come until April or later.

Michael Parker
Athlete
Uncommitted: List

Pos RkStarsGradeHometown
83Nokesville, VA
"Yeah, I'm probably going to wait until after then," Parker said, referring to national signing day on Feb. 6. "I just want some time to make sure. It's the biggest decision in my life. I want to make sure it's the right decision."

At least one school, Boston College, pulled itself out of the chase for Parker when he informed coaches there that he was postponing his decision past February. Miami has expressed concern about the delay but said it will work with the four-star athlete. Clearly, the Hurricanes have made Parker feel wanted in Coral Cables.

"They show great love when I go down there," Parker said. "They're really high on your career after college and after football if football doesn't work out."

Waiting until after signing day should give Parker a bit more time to see if Miami will face severe NCAA sanctions. The Canes are involved in allegations that a booster provided extra benefits to athletes.

"The sanctions play a role in my decision making," said Parker, the No. 234 prospect in the country and No. 10 prospect in Virginia. "But they show so much love I can't even look at that. ... The sanctions aren't a huge factor in my decision, but I do think about it."

Parker's other finalist, Arizona State, also has made him feel wanted despite the fact that Tempe, Ariz., is two time zones away.

"They're great," Parker said. "Me and my recruiter, we talk probably every other day. We just keep up with each other. We're building a strong relationship. They're definitely competing with Miami. They play some tough football. That's what I like about them."

Parker also likes the fact that the Sun Devils need immediate help in the defensive backfield, where he is expected to play in college. He said he also likes the idea of helping rebuild the program.

Parker transferred from Nokesville (Va.) Kettle Run and is currently home schooled. He said he will transfer to Warrenton (Va.) Fauquier in a few weeks.
joesim
McGuinn Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium