Miami @ Boston College 1/16

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Miami @ Boston College 1/16

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:11 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
footer20 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:61% from the line.

And your point guard goes 5-10

Don't worry, someone will post "Hanlon will never go 5-10 from the stripe again" and not understand that this team has so many weaknesses (still) and can find ways to lose.

this is fucking retarded.

Sorry for overreaction. I'm pissed. This would have been a very good win.

You'd have to be blind not to see progress from last year to this year, but I'm afraid we're not seeing enough.

This pretty much captures it for me. Don said he wasn't worried about wins last season and wait for 50 games in. Well its close to 50 games in. And while they are clearly better (much of that simply being the effect of LoJack shooting well and opening up the floor) they still aren't doing what it takes to win.

Had they beaten Wake and won one of these two tight games against decent opponents, I might have a different outlook. But 19 turnovers against a bad Wake team, and poor FT shooting and down the stretch play in winnable games against underachieving teams make me a bit worried.

The problem with this is you view these teams as underachieving because they almost lost to BC. I'm sure you understand that this is a problematic measuring system for gauging BC's progress.

Also, turnovers and poor FT shooting are both addressable (much like rebounding...)
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:34 am

Free Throw's should be first and foremost in my mind. They seem to get by with poor rebounding, but the free throws seem to be costing them these games.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:38 am

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:Free Throw's should be first and foremost in my mind. They seem to get by with poor rebounding, but the free throws seem to be costing them these games.

They aren't a poor rebounding team so far this year. They're not great at it, but its not a major weakness.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:43 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
footer20 {l Wrote}:

Don't worry, someone will post "Hanlon will never go 5-10 from the stripe again" and not understand that this team has so many weaknesses (still) and can find ways to lose.

You'd have to be blind not to see progress from last year to this year, but I'm afraid we're not seeing enough.

This pretty much captures it for me. Don said he wasn't worried about wins last season and wait for 50 games in. Well its close to 50 games in. And while they are clearly better (much of that simply being the effect of LoJack shooting well and opening up the floor) they still aren't doing what it takes to win.

Had they beaten Wake and won one of these two tight games against decent opponents, I might have a different outlook. But 19 turnovers against a bad Wake team, and poor FT shooting and down the stretch play in winnable games against underachieving teams make me a bit worried.

The problem with this is you view these teams as underachieving because they almost lost to BC. I'm sure you understand that this is a problematic measuring system for gauging BC's progress.

Also, turnovers and poor FT shooting are both addressable (much like rebounding...)

Nope, I viewed these teams as either (a) bad or (b) grossly underachieving long before they played BC. Take a look at their schedules. There is a whole thread of me crappy on NCSU before the game, and I predicted a close loss last night based on what I knew of Miami.

Turnovers and poor FT shooting are certainly addressable. Maybe they should get addressed one of these days.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:46 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:Free Throw's should be first and foremost in my mind. They seem to get by with poor rebounding, but the free throws seem to be costing them these games.

They aren't a poor rebounding team so far this year. They're not great at it, but its not a major weakness.

Rebounding is still a HUGE weakness that this team can overcome when either of Anderson or Hanlan is having a huge game or Jackson is on fire. The players do a better job boxing out in general, and the guards are better rebounders than last year, but the improvement is marginal and an athletic PF is still a gaping hole on this team.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby vegasEagle on Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:48 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Rebounding is still a HUGE weakness that this team can overcome when either of Anderson or Hanlan is having a huge game or Jackson is on fire. The players do a better job boxing out in general, and the guards are better rebounders than last year, but the improvement is marginal and an athletic PF is still a gaping hole on this team.

A healthy Clifford would probably help. Although the kid was hustling his ass off last night.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby innocentbystander on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:07 pm

Losing to Miami at home by 1 point officially broke my BC heart for the 2012-2013 season. For the remainder of this season, I will be rooting for just two schools; Creighton and my alma mater Northeastern University. Both schools are undefeated in conference play.
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:07 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

They've out rebounded their opponents in 8 of 17 games. There has only been serious imbalance once or twice and both when Anderson was hobbled. They are currently up 4 RPG as a team (from 30 to 34) from last year. That seems like significant improvement to me.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:09 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
footer20 {l Wrote}:

Nope, I viewed these teams as either (a) bad or (b) grossly underachieving long before they played BC. Take a look at their schedules. There is a whole thread of me crappy on NCSU before the game, and I predicted a close loss last night based on what I knew of Miami.

Turnovers and poor FT shooting are certainly addressable. Maybe they should get addressed one of these days.

You were using the NCSU has always underachieved(except last year) therefore they will underachieve which you confirmed by them not killing BC. Miami has not underachieved all year.

Turnovers have not been a problem very often this year.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Agreed hence my HomoJSing but it is worth noting that through 4 games, rebounds for BC vs opponent is 127-127

Hanlan has made a huge difference over Daniels
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:20 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Agreed hence my HomoJSing but it is worth noting that through 4 games, rebounds for BC vs opponent is 127-127

Plus Anderson is much stronger than last year, even though it is impossible for a rebounder to improve year to year. Clifford has identical numbers with 6 less minutes per game.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:45 pm

Hanlon is going to be a stud... Rahon is overrated. Anderson needs to shed baby fat and put on some muscle. This team is much better than it was a year ago.

Every game I watch i'm told what a great FT shooting team the eagles are, and they proceed to shoot poorly in key situations. BS and unacceptable.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:47 pm

The Knife of Asia {l Wrote}:Hanlon is going to be a stud... Rahon is overrated. Anderson needs to shed baby fat and put on some muscle. This team is much better than it was a year ago.

Every game I watch i'm told what a great FT shooting team the eagles are, and they proceed to shoot poorly in key situations. BS and unacceptable.

Why do you think Rahon is overrated?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:53 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
The Knife of Asia {l Wrote}:Hanlon is going to be a stud... Rahon is overrated. Anderson needs to shed baby fat and put on some muscle. This team is much better than it was a year ago.

Seems that he and Hanlon are considered at the same level and share equal touches. I'd want the ball in Hanlons hands more... I'd have the backcourt as Hanlon/Jackson, and have Rahon be the role playing reserve.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:55 pm

The FT shooting thing irks me like when the TOB eagles being called 'disciplined' and proceed to commit stupid penalites up the yin yang... Being a BC fan makes me sensitive to this stuff.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:21 pm

innocentbystander {l Wrote}:Losing to Miami at home by 1 point officially broke my BC heart for the 2012-2013 season. For the remainder of this season, I will be rooting for just two schools; Creighton and my alma mater Northeastern University. Both schools are undefeated in conference play.

aliass
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:22 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
footer20 {l Wrote}:

You were using the NCSU has always underachieved(except last year) therefore they will underachieve which you confirmed by them not killing BC. Miami has not underachieved all year.

Miami hasn't underachieved? Really? http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=103777&DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205723097
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:23 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Plus Anderson is much stronger than last year, even though it is impossible for a rebounder to improve year to year. Clifford has identical numbers with 6 less minutes per game.

Anderson was a good rebounder last season. Miami hasn't underachieved though.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:24 pm

The Knife of Asia {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Seems that he and Hanlon are considered at the same level and share equal touches. I'd want the ball in Hanlons hands more... I'd have the backcourt as Hanlon/Jackson, and have Rahon be the role playing reserve.

I want the exact opposite. Rahon is a point guard, Hanlan is a scorer.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:33 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
footer20 {l Wrote}:

Miami hasn't underachieved? Really? http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=103777&DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205723097

That's a bad loss sure, they also beat then #13 MSU and have beaten MD, UNC and GT. They were predicted preaseason 4th in the ACC, I don't think they are off that mark at this point.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:41 pm

by the way - we've also (transitively) lost to maryland by 7 but beat dook by 2.

this year is effing krazee
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:52 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
footer20 {l Wrote}:

That's a bad loss sure, they also beat then #13 MSU and have beaten MD, UNC and GT. They were predicted preaseason 4th in the ACC, I don't think they are off that mark at this point.

That's a loss of Bryant proportions.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:57 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
footer20 {l Wrote}:

That's a loss of Bryant proportions.

a loss to Bryant for Miami coupled with all the wins would still be a weird definition of underachieving to me.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:58 pm

eh, whatever. based on what I saw of them all season, they played exactly like I expected them to. And it wasn't real good. Same goes for NCSU.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:19 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:eh, whatever. based on what I saw of them all season, they played exactly like I expected them to. And it wasn't real good. Same goes for NCSU.

I'll say this, our largest theoretical deficiency pregame was front court play, Kadji and Gamble stink it turns out, but they are both 6-10+ and 240-250 lbs (neither is Josh Southern bad, but they are both bad). If Kadji wasn't soft there would have been nothing or at least BC could do, so as far as he is I would agree that they are not as bad a matchup as they would otherwise appear and to that end Kadji and to a lesser extent Gamble (who i think is just untalented) are underacheiving.

That being said I saw the active neutralization of that size advantage by BC both due to effort from Anderson and play calling from Donahue as more significant than any natural mitigation of the advantage by the advantage being the product of false expectations.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:36 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:eh, whatever. based on what I saw of them all season, they played exactly like I expected them to. And it wasn't real good. Same goes for NCSU.

I'll say this, our largest theoretical deficiency pregame was front court play, Kadji and Gamble stink it turns out, but they are both 6-10+ and 240-250 lbs (neither is Josh Southern bad, but they are both bad). If Kadji wasn't soft there would have been nothing or at least BC could do, so as far as he is I would agree that they are not as bad a matchup as they would otherwise appear and to that end Kadji and to a lesser extent Gamble (who i think is just untalented) are underacheiving.

That being said I saw the active neutralization of that size advantage by BC both due to effort from Anderson and play calling from Donahue as more significant than any natural mitigation of the advantage by the advantage being the product of false expectations.

I think much of the neutralization of the bigs (and the improvement of the team) is due to an increased emphasis on pressuring the perimeter, making it hard to get passes in to the post. I have noticed a major uptick in defense, much more so than anything else in this stretch, other than maybe LoJack's shooting.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby NotoriousOrange on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:03 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
footer20 {l Wrote}:

Miami is top 5 in most RPI ratings. I would say that they are vastly under-rated as an opponent
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:16 pm

NotoriousOrange {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
EagleNYC {l Wrote}:
footer20 {l Wrote}:

Miami is top 5 in most RPI ratings. I would say that they are vastly under-rated as an opponent

Christ, a top 5 team with a loss to Florida Gulf Coast Directional. There are two reasons they weren't ranked despite that RPI: (1) using RPI as a serious metric at this stage of the season is utterly retarded; and (2) they pretty much always play as poorly as they played last night.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles25 on Thu Jan 17, 2013 3:55 pm

59-60 is a painful score to lose by.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:25 pm

I feel a little ridiculous saying this but simply beating one of NCSt/Wake/Miami would make me feel a lot better. Beat NC State or Miami and you can say we're inconsistent due to youth but able to get some good wins. Beat Wake and you can say we're beating bad teams and just missing taking down better schools. What I don't like is losing to crappy teams like Wake without any corresponding big wins. I think it was definitely said best with best but not enough. We also better starting bringing in more recruits because I don't want to cycle through 75% roster turnover for 1 year in the NCAAs.
31southst
Cushing Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum