BC vs Alabama-Huntsville

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

BC vs Alabama-Huntsville

Postby wolverineneshl on Sun Dec 09, 2012 9:22 am

It's inevitable but it would have been nice if had been against BU or PC.

No guarantee but looks like AH will be the game that breaks the record.

I was at the Schneider the 3rd period meltdown was disappointing along with the 2 disallowed goals.

The Gopher game will be tough without JG and maybe even MacLeod is out.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Re: BC vs Alabama-Huntsville

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:50 pm

Still, kind of neat -- has BC or York ever played against UA-Huntsville?
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:53 pm

Answering my own question, BC has never played Hunstville, according to the medi aguide. Don't know aboutYork with BG or Clarkson.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:52 pm

Combo look back/looking forward post so I'll put it here.

Friday was tough. 1 clear would've done it, Patch stumbles at the blueline, tries to jab at it and the rest is history. They really struggled in that 1st period and Milner bailed them out time and time again. That turnover that led to the 1st (?) goal by Doherty (?) was absolutely terrible. Can't skate the puck out front of your own net in traffic, basic fundamental error. Friday night, apparently Gaudreau was pretty sick, sucks that right now offensively we are top heavy but it's a reality.

On the whole, everyone would've signed up for 11-2-1 in the first half including 4-1-0 against teams in the top 10, breaking in 3 freshmen D and giving a decent amount of time to guys who had minimal roles in the past. It's pretty clear what the formula is to give us trouble, Providence a couple of days ago really brought the body and we didn't respond well at all in the 1st. Considering this is one of the more physical/slower York teams in recent memory they should embrace that game better than the teams in years past. Concern/priority number one in the 2nd half has to be the bottom two lines. Right now this team is extremely top heavy (1st line represents 50% of our goals). We need 6 (really 7 if you count the winger on Hayes/Arnold line) to earn being dressed every night. Of those 7 spots, think 2 are locks (Destry when healthy, & Quinn Smith), Linell & Sit have the experience from last year, & Silk has the upside.

Always interesting to see what York does with the lines while Gaudreau is in Russia as he always likes to do some shuffling (3 years ago he got the Whitney-Gibbons-Atkinson line out of break and rode that to a championship and arguably the best line in the country the following year). He also made it seem like Straight probably won't be ready, but I doubt we hear a word until the lineups are posted for the Alabama Huntsville game.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:34 am

Update on the injury front from the kid for the Minnesota tournament.

Barring setback Destry is expected to be back, it'll be about 7 weeks since he suffered the high ankle sprain at BU.

MacLeod is iffy with the sprained shoulder he suffered after a hit on Friday night. If he couldn't go Travis Jeke would make his debut, it would also mean dressing 4 freshmen on D which should be a nice test at Mariucci.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby wolverineneshl on Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:08 pm

I read somewhere MacLeod could be back in Minny Tournament.

Also, BC got another goalie commit in Thatcher Demko. Now they also have Birdsall too. They should be a formidable pair in net for BC.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:31 pm

BC-Minnesota will be picked up on NESN on 12/30

Good news should BC have to forfeit Saturday against UAH and York have to wait for the record.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:54 am

BC notes says no injuries, the Kid says Straight is good to go and MacLeod is questionable.

For this one, video is only available through Minnesota's site (believe they use the same service as BC so if you have an account it'll work there).

4 FR D would be an adventure tomorrow against Minnesota. Tomorrow is on NESN and other local channels.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:03 am

Little gameday reading, huge article in the globe on Matheson

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens-hockey/2012/12/28/freshman-defenseman-michael-matheson-making-impact-boston-college/TtCAZyoAid2jefo7L1dYZK/story.html

Freshman defenseman Michael Matheson making an impact at Boston College

By Nancy Marrapese-Burrell
Globe Staff / December 27, 2012

When Boston College was rolling to the 2012 NCAA championship, it was playing like a well-oiled machine in winning its final 19 games of the season.

One of the question marks heading into this season was how the team would replace the contributions of defensemen Tommy Cross, Brian Dumoulin, and Edwin Shea.

Coach Jerry York and his staff have relied on youngsters to fill the void on the blue line, dressing three freshmen for all 14 games in the first semester: Michael Matheson, Teddy Doherty, and Colin Sullivan, who have complemented seniors Patrick Wey and Patch Alber and junior Isaac MacLeod.

Matheson, a first-round draft pick (No. 23 overall) by Florida in the 2012 NHL draft, is the top-scoring defenseman on the Eagles with four goals and six assists. Matheson, who turns 19 Feb. 27, is playing with poise well beyond his years.

“As far as hockey, it just seems like he’s got terrific skating to start with, which helps his whole game,’’ said York. “He handles pucks well, he moves pucks well, but it’s all based on his skating ability, which is excellent.

“What has impressed us most is how he has fit right in as a first-year guy on the power play and regular shifts. He has not replaced Brian Dumoulin or Tommy Cross, but there was a lot of ice time available and he has jumped right in there and been a major impact for us.’’

York said there are similarities between Matheson and Chris Kreider, who was a standout last year.

“He is powerful like Chris Kreider with his skating, so it enables him to close quickly and he’s got great balance and edge control in the corners,’’ said York. “Skating is the base of his game now, just like it was with Chris Kreider. He’s improving his defensive play and his reads offensively and he’s a welcome addition.’’

York said Matheson has contributed more than was expected.

“We thought he was going to be a good player but he has impacted our team earlier in his career than I thought he might,’’ said York. “It’s been very good to see from the bench.’’

Wey said Matheson’s mobility has aided his play in all three zones.

“He’s a great skater,’’ said Wey. “He can do a lot with his legs and he’s really strong on his skates. He’s able to be strong in one-on-one rushes and playing people in the corners because he’s so mobile and he’s so strong.

“He’s definitely a force to play against. Offensively, his skating really helps him. He can rush the puck up well. He has really good vision with the puck, too. I’ve noticed at the point he is able to find people at the back door and move the puck well. He’s got a really hard shot and a good one-timer and a good slap shot and wrist shot.

“He’s a great all-around player. He communicates well and he has leadership qualities. He’s the whole package. He’s humble and he sort of has this air about him. He’s very professional and is a very mature kid for his age.’’

Wey saw Matheson’s potential before the season, when the Eagles skated together during captains practices.

“I think everyone suspected he was capable of the way he’s been playing, but the way he has jumped out and been able to do it consistently in games is definitely surprising,’’ said Wey. “It’s a testament to how mature he is and how hard he works. He’s got a lot of confidence, and that definitely helps.’’

Matheson realized how much he enjoyed being a member of the Eagles when he returned home to Pointe Claire, Quebec, for the break.

“It’s been pretty special so far,’’ said Matheson. “Every single time that I’ve been asked [at home] how it’s been and all that, it’s made me realize how much fun I’ve really had and how special it’s been over this past few months.

“To see how close I’ve gotten with all my teammates in such a short period of time, I kind of realized that when I was back home. That’s something I haven’t been a part of, really.

“I’ve obviously been really close to guys on my team through my years of playing but never this close this quickly. I owe that to all the captains and the rest of the upperclassmen and the coaches as well for creating an environment where everyone is one team.”

One person with whom Matheson has grown close is captain Pat Mullane.

“There have been many times where, for example, I’ll be talking to Pat Mullane and he’ll say, ‘Do you want to come over and hang out?’ ” said Matheson. “I know for a fact that there aren’t many teams around where seniors are asking freshmen to come and hang out for a little while.

“To be able to be that close off the ice, it really grows when you’re on the ice, too.’’

Matheson said the transition to college has been smooth so far. He credits his education at John Rennie High School with giving him a solid foundation in terms of budgeting his time and being disciplined.

“I learned those types of things at a young age,’’ said Matheson. “In Quebec, our high school system is different. It’s Grade 7 to 11. So I’ve been doing that since I’ve been 13. I graduated in Grade 11 and then went to the USHL.’’

He said that discipline has carried him through the first semester, and he feels healthy and fit.

“I had to manage my time and when I ate,’’ he said. “Just little things like that have helped. I haven’t gotten sick since I’ve gotten to BC and I haven’t gotten burned out, so those high school years really helped me.’’

One thing Matheson has avoided so far is being the target of notorious prankster Parker Milner, BC’s senior goaltender.

“Brooks Dyroff has played a few on me, but I guess I’ve been one of the more lucky ones because I haven’t had too many pranks played on me,’’ said Matheson. “I guess I’ll have to keep my head up for that.’’
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BostonCollege1 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:13 pm

4-1, BC; 2:00 left in the 2nd, going on another PP.

The game can be purchased through Gophersports.com All Access (CBSsports.com), but the video feed is from far away, and there's no audio. BC is offering audio, but it's delayed long after the video feed. I hate that buying Eagles All Access doesn't give you away games, even if it's technically through the same network. Why bother with the monthly subscription, unless you can't get to BC home games?
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:31 pm

Congrats to York, certainly not as dramatic but they all count

Not all good news, patch Alber is done for the year w a torn meniscus. Happened in pregame warmup. With Macleod still hurt this D core is going to be stretched thin. My guess is they dress 5 D tomorrow (wey, matheson, Sullivan, Doherty, and now jeke) and try to steal a shift w dyroff or macmullan
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby wolverineneshl on Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:31 am

Too much soccer I heard. Jeke will have to step it up in his spot.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:27 am

Alber had successful surgery yesterday. Estimated 3 month recovery:

http://www.bceagles.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/010113aaa.html

Alber Undergoes Successful Knee Surgery
Senior defenseman suffered injury prior to team's Dec. 29 win against Alabama-Huntsville

Jan. 1, 2013

Boston College senior defenseman Patch Alber has undergone successful surgery to repair a displaced lateral meniscus in his right knee, according to head coach Jerry York.

The surgery was performed today by Dr. Robert Nascimento at St. Elizabeth's Media Center in Brighton, Mass. The defenseman is expected to miss three months during recovery.

A 5-foot-10, 170-pound senior from Clifton Park, N.Y., Alber sustained the injury prior to Boston College's 5-2 victory over Alabama-Huntsville on Saturday, Dec. 29, in Minneapolis, Minn.

3 months would put him right around NCAA regional time.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Return to Kelley Rink