2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby bceagles24 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:22 pm

I think it's BC/Iowa for Lemelle. Nebraska is the wild card. Hoping Addazio negative recruits Iowa. On McDonald there's a chance wouldn't get your hopes up but it's possible.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:50 pm

Lemelle would make the WR class one of the best ever. Too bad Taylor got away. :popcorn
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:14 pm

It will be interesting to see what happens with Iowa. There are rumors about Ferrentz potentially being an NFL candidate (unlikely but rumors nonetheless and I assume part of what 24 refers to in negative recruiting). Iowa has been a bit of a thorn to BC recruiting the last few years and have gotten a few guys with BC offers this year (most recently Daniels).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby UK Eagle on Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:58 am

Did we make DT Mike Williams final 2? I know BC and Maryland had offered but Rutgers is also showing interest.

http://bostoncollege.scout.com/a.z?s=165&p=2&c=1253408&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fbostoncollege.scout.com%2f2%2f1253408.html
UK Eagle
Carney Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:25 pm

UK Eagle {l Wrote}:Did we make DT Mike Williams final 2? I know BC and Maryland had offered but Rutgers is also showing interest.

http://bostoncollege.scout.com/a.z?s=165&p=2&c=1253408&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fbostoncollege.scout.com%2f2%2f1253408.html

I think Williams was being held on the back burner to see what happens. Maryland offered as an OL and he originally committed to them but backed out because he wants to play DL. I saw him at the VT game this year so he has visited, I would imagine he is being held in a very similar regard to Kevin Maurice, both wait and see.

Also saw that Shane Huber, 6'3 225 LB from St Peter's Prep (same school as Mike Giacone, Charles Callinan, and one of next years top RB's Jonathan Hillman) decommited from UMASS the other day. He had an offer from Temple when Addazio was there, wonder if they would offer him to fill the spot left by Jasudowich.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:42 am

Hilton Head (SC) quarterback Michael Julian claims a new Boston College offer and says that he plans to visit the weekend of January 18th.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:44 am

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:Hilton Head (SC) quarterback Michael Julian claims a new Boston College offer and says that he plans to visit the weekend of January 18th.

I don't understand how he's a 2* prospect. He throws the ball really well.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:57 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:Hilton Head (SC) quarterback Michael Julian claims a new Boston College offer and says that he plans to visit the weekend of January 18th.

If I had to guess, it's because of his lack of major BCS offers.
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:04 pm

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I would think an Arizona and BC offer would be enough for a jump to 3 stars on a pure offers standpoint, he would immediately be in the top 5 of our class to date on other offers (pathetically) with his 2 BCS offers other than BC and an Indiana offer plus a slew of non-BCS programs. I think he either has some major issues which we don't see in a highlight tape or he really put it together his senior year and had some major issue (maybe he got taller or stronger or fixed decision making) which he has fixed.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:09 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I think it has to do with his frame, he certainly needs a redshirt year to build himself. He's like 6'5 180. But he throws strong, with accuracy and runs well. He made all state in SC.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:11 pm

Regardless of reason, his top 3 are BC, NCST, Toledo. That's an interesting 3 to say the least...

He doesn't even hold an offer from NCST.
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:13 pm

Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 pm

GT BoSox {l Wrote}:Regardless of reason, his top 3 are BC, NCST, Toledo. That's an interesting 3 to say the least...

With those 3 as a final list, is it safe to assume that his Arizon offer isn't real?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:22 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I would think an Arizona and BC offer would be enough for a jump to 3 stars on a pure offers standpoint, he would immediately be in the top 5 of our class to date on other offers (pathetically) with his 2 BCS offers other than BC and an Indiana offer plus a slew of non-BCS programs. I think he either has some major issues which we don't see in a highlight tape or he really put it together his senior year and had some major issue (maybe he got taller or stronger or fixed decision making) which he has fixed.

From the YouTube link posted earlier, you can tell that he's got a BCS level arm, mobility and speed. I can't tell anything else about him whatsoever. Did he get invited to camp anywhere? If so, you'd think he would have stuck out in some way. If he didn't, he could be the classic late bloomer. There is always a risk in evaluating how a kid will play at age 19-21 based upon how he does as a 16/17 year old.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby NJM89 on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:40 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
GT BoSox {l Wrote}:Regardless of reason, his top 3 are BC, NCST, Toledo. That's an interesting 3 to say the least...

With those 3 as a final list, is it safe to assume that his Arizon offer isn't real?

Arizona already has 2 qb commits with one being Jesse Scroggins former USC QB
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Jan 02, 2013 1:46 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

I think it has to do with his frame, he certainly needs a redshirt year to build himself. He's like 6'5 180. But he throws strong, with accuracy and runs well. He made all state in SC.

That wouldn't scare BCS teams off, the vast majority of QBs redshirt anyway
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:01 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Last I checked BC has 2 QB commits as well. But, if you are saying that Zona's offer was real, but then they landed others and he no longer has that as an option... then, that makes sense.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:07 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
NJM89 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

Last I checked BC has 2 QB commits as well. But, if you are saying that Zona's offer was real, but then they landed others and he no longer has that as an option... then, that makes sense.

FWIW I think Scroggins only committed to Arizona in December, so the latter is definitely possible.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:23 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

That wouldn't scare BCS teams off, the vast majority of QBs redshirt anyway

IDK, it's his only negative. He had good numbers as a junior, 15TD's
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:19 am

Julian offered by Wisconsin.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:35 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Julian offered by Wisconsin.

damn. Do some work Addazio.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:50 am

I have to think this makes him a very unlikely get now. Anderson has run a much more successful offense than Addazio, its a program that is in infinitely better shape than BC right now, and they have virtually no QB depth (starter is graduating, Danny O'Brien from MD will be there for a year I think, and you have a 2 star no offer freshman who is a pure pocket type QB). Also Anderson was recruiting Julian at Utah State. This stinks, but I don't really see how they win this one unless the kid just loves the school and/or the staff.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:56 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I would prefer 2 more RBs and a DT in this class, but thus far I am underwhelmed by Daz's recruiting prowess.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:07 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I would prefer 2 more RBs and a DT in this class, but thus far I am underwhelmed by Daz's recruiting prowess.

I don't know if I have an opinion yet. If he flips the McDonald kid from BC high, that's be a nice showing that he has some ability. I don't like that I read that Kevin Maurice from Florida is less interested than he was previously but it seems as if the Spaz staff slow played him for months so I don't know whether to blame Addazio for that.

The loss of Daniels is one of those things where since Martin or Bollman was the recruiter and his relationship was to them not the school nothing could be done, but it is certainly not a positive. Conversely, I was impressed but with the same caveat that it could have been things other then good recruiting that Montesero appears to be staying as he had options and Martin was his connection.

I don't really understand the rest of the RB stuff. Specifically, do Coppett, Webb and Robert Davis actually have offers? Do we have a list in which we would accept their schollies?

The idea of Julian has grown on me exponentially and I think he could be a good QB if we abandon pocket passer types, but I won't kill Addazio if he loses him to Wisconsin or even for not locking him down already since he's had like 10 days since being hired that weren't dead period.

Also Spaz stink is still everywhere.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:15 pm

I think Daziani needs to focus on getting members of his staff that have connections outside New England. He needs to get someone who knows OH, PA, FL, etc.

Is it difficult for Daz to come in and grab some of these targets? Sure. But, Jags and even Spaz was able to bring in a few quality players after taken over much later in the recruiting process. He obviously should not be judged based on the first month, but, it just raises more questions as he was supposedly hired (in part) because of his ability to recruit.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:34 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I think Daziani needs to focus on getting members of his staff that have connections outside New England. He needs to get someone who knows OH, PA, FL, etc.

Is it difficult for Daz to come in and grab some of these targets? Sure. But, Jags and even Spaz was able to bring in a few quality players after taken over much later in the recruiting process. He obviously should not be judged based on the first month, but, it just raises more questions as he was supposedly hired (in part) because of his ability to recruit.

I am agreeing with you more than usual and could not agree more than the seeming lack of an Ohio presence is very troubling. Brown is apparently well connected in FL (will he recruit? who knows?), I have literally no idea where Leonard's connections lie although I get the impression he might be a decent recruiter, Albert (if he's the higher) likely has some PA connection.

I want to give Addazio at least until signing day. Even then isn't really a great indicator, but right now is no indicator. A major difference between Jags in 2007 and Spazoo in 2009 and now is three fold 1) the program was in great shape in both of those years; 2) there was a lot of retention 3) they didn't have the class filled up with no offer two stars that Spaz signed 8 months too early clogging up the class and limiting options (I admit this is more of a problem than I initially thought now that we're here).

On December 19, 2006 Jags inherited an 11 person class (he then lost Reiskamp to TOB, told Plue he wouldn't play and there may have been other decommits), which he brought up to 18. He made one awesome pick up in Castanzo and some significant contributors like Gause, Momah and Newman and a player that turned out good elsewhere and started (terribly) for one year in Davis. He added one complete reach in Chris Johnson. He also closed on Elliott, Spinney and Cory Eason. All in all he did a commendable job but had a lot of spots available and TOB had already done a lot of leg work for the last three guys.

On January 13, 2009 a day that will live in infamy, Spaz inherited an 11 person class. There may have been losses, I really don't remember. This was the O'Boushi and Athur Lynch-Fontaine class but I think both losses were pre-Spaz hire and one at least had nothing to do with recruiting. Other than Shinskie and I believe Freese, I don't think Spaz independently found too many of the remaining players, I think he should get some credit for closing on them but I believe they were all Jags guys (O'Neal may not have been?). Kuechly and Wetzel were definitely carry over recruits and I believe Finch was too. I have zero idea about Bryan Davis but the fact he was from Georgia makes me think he was not a Spaz guy. Anyway, Spaz didn't really add much but did an OK job overall. Again though its just not comparable to now. Spaz had space (he didn't use much of it which is another part of the reason we have no space now) and he had Jags guys considering committing.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:05 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:2) there was a lot of retention.

The only retention from TOB to Jags was Spaz and Guvs. Spaz didn't recruit (so his continued presense had little effect on recruits). Guvs is being retained again.

I think Jags walked into a very tough situation. You had the media talking aout how BC wasn't willing to pay TOB and how that's a sign we weren't committed to the program (which actually proved true). You had an out-going staff who (a) was immediately recruiting against you and (b) offered no help in terms of handing over recruiting information (phone numbers, evaluations, etc.). As I understand it, the only reason Jags had anyone's phone number was because then-grad assistant, now Giants QB coach Sean Ryan copied it all and gave it to GDF as Petercuskie was trying to delete the files.

Also, remember, Jags was still coaching the Packers and, as such, could not focus completely on the BC job. FURTHER, Jags had to pass some silly NCAA exam before even being allowed to talk to a recruit. Nonetheless, I think his ability to quickly put together a solid staff and recruit kids for the first time only AFTER the dead period was over is impressive. I just hope we are saying how impressed we are with Daz's shortened recruiting window.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:07 pm

Wisconsin doesn't have a 13' QB commit, shit.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:30 pm

While losing Julian would suck in the sense that you want the staff to close on guys they offer, we already have two good QBs. If Daz is a good coach, he will make it work for Boyle/Lowrie until he gets a better guy to run his preferred system. Additionally, we have so many needs left that part of me thinks using 3 scholarships on QBs would be dumb (I also acknowledge it's by far the most important position so there's something to be said for making sure you get it right).
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:54 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:2) there was a lot of retention.

The only retention from TOB to Jags was Spaz and Guvs. Spaz didn't recruit (so his continued presense had little effect on recruits). Guvs is being retained again.

I think Jags walked into a very tough situation. You had the media talking aout how BC wasn't willing to pay TOB and how that's a sign we weren't committed to the program (which actually proved true). You had an out-going staff who (a) was immediately recruiting against you and (b) offered no help in terms of handing over recruiting information (phone numbers, evaluations, etc.). As I understand it, the only reason Jags had anyone's phone number was because then-grad assistant, now Giants QB coach Sean Ryan copied it all and gave it to GDF as Petercuskie was trying to delete the files.

Also, remember, Jags was still coaching the Packers and, as such, could not focus completely on the BC job. FURTHER, Jags had to pass some silly NCAA exam before even being allowed to talk to a recruit. Nonetheless, I think his ability to quickly put together a solid staff and recruit kids for the first time only AFTER the dead period was over is impressive. I just hope we are saying how impressed we are with Daz's shortened recruiting window.

Jags did a pretty good job. I think Spaz as the interim, even if he didn't recruit (was that true at that point? I know Spaz' coordinators didn't recruit much) had to help continuity in some fashion more than just McGovern would but more importantly I think McGovern would be just fine for continuing Spaz's 2013 class except that there were no targets remaining in it so there is nothing to continue.

I think Addazio has a worse situation than Jags though and I don't see how it can really be questioned. Jags inherited a 10-3 team with a ton of talent, sure there were some difficulties in the transition, there always are. It just was not nearly as bad as inheriting this 2-10 mess though. Even though there was a question to commitment which was fueled in very large part by TOB and some media sources speculated that BC's "success" to that point was because of O'Brien's herculean efforts, I don't think many expected us to become the Temple like program that Spaz allowed. BC football has become a regional joke (would be national if anyone gave a shit) and I just think that is a lot worse than any negative recruiting or sabotage by the TOB staff.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium