2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:46 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:Saunders is going to Loserville. The key on Patcham is his health. When healthy, he was good enough to start for Florida. That means, that he would certainly be one of our top five OLinemen next year... if healthy.

It should be noted that I am not as down on the OLine as some. I think we have some talent there. I think the number one issue there has been coaches not developing these kids (all OLinemen come in needing significant work). The second major issues along the OLine is the coaches not fucking knowing who to start. The ridiculousness at center... Harris Williams... Seth Betancourt... it goes on and on.

Did Patcham start on the OLine? What position?

I am not as negative about our prospects at OLine either. Between White, Vardaro, Betancourt & Williams we are solid at OG. OT is a big question mark. The competition will be between Kramer, Bowen and Lembke. OC is the real problem as Gallik is just not good, but who else on the roster can play OC? White has proven that he cannot.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:51 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Saunders is going to Loserville. The key on Patcham is his health. When healthy, he was good enough to start for Florida. That means, that he would certainly be one of our top five OLinemen next year... if healthy.

It should be noted that I am not as down on the OLine as some. I think we have some talent there. I think the number one issue there has been coaches not developing these kids (all OLinemen come in needing significant work). The second major issues along the OLine is the coaches not fucking knowing who to start. The ridiculousness at center... Harris Williams... Seth Betancourt... it goes on and on.

I am not as negative about our prospects at OLine either. Between White, Vardaro, Betancourt & Williams we are solid at OG. OT is a big question mark. The competition will be between Kramer, Bowen and Lembke. OC is the real problem as Gallik is just not good, but who else on the roster can play OC? White has proven that he cannot.

Patchan started 7 games at rt in 2011. I think he was injured after the last game he started as opposed to losing his job based on poor play.

Edit: he started 2 games at lt then 5 at rt in 2011. Then he got hurt again.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:08 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I would hope either White or Williams can play C. Also, Gaughan was listed as a C as well and he was well-regarded when he came in, so he might be an option too. I am curious if there will be a big shuffle under the new staff, like Tennant going from backup TE to starting C under Jags. Also, as much as Florida people hated Daz as OC, I think the consensus is that he was a good line coach, so that will hopefully prove true.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:19 pm

How many years of eligibility does Patcham have left?
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:23 pm

joeyfenn {l Wrote}:How many years of eligibility does Patcham have left?

1, and he can transfer and immediately play next season
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:37 pm

31southst {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:

I am curious if there will be a big shuffle under the new staff, like Tennant going from backup TE to starting C under Jags.

This one gets repeated far too often. Tennant was switched from a backup OG to a backup TE during 2006 season because of injuries to the position. It was never meant to be a permanent move.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby NJM89 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:57 pm

Whats up with Ralph Webb RB from Florida? Tape looks pretty good. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/909788/highlights/34382394
NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:07 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
31southst {l Wrote}: I am curious if there will be a big shuffle under the new staff, like Tennant going from backup TE to starting C under Jags.

This one gets repeated far too often. Tennant was switched from a backup OG to a backup TE during 2006 season because of injuries to the position. It was never meant to be a permanent move.

Was that why? I thought TOB had determined Tennant couldn't carry enough weight for his power style of OL and the switch would have been permanent if TOB stayed. However, Jags zone blocking relied on athleticism and made Tennant all of a sudden perfect of the system. Probably not the best example here either as it doesn't sound like Daz will overhaul the OL system, but it does illustrate that the old depth chart doesn't necessarily mean a ton.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Thu Dec 27, 2012 5:29 pm

RB Jamauri Bogan from NJ will attend BC's junior day in January.

Offers from GT, UMass, Temple, Toledo, Old Dominion

Rutgers and obviously BC have shown interest
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:48 pm

NJM89 {l Wrote}:Whats up with Ralph Webb RB from Florida? Tape looks pretty good. http://www.hudl.com/athlete/909788/highlights/34382394

CNee247: Gainesville (Fla.) RB Rapheal Webb has scheduled officials to #FAU (1/11) and #BC (1/18) http://t.co/l4I3VR8O via @247Sports
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:28 pm

Frank Taylor, the redshirt freshman to be, was being groomed to play center at BC. Bowen, is a very promising kid, who played in the PA Big 33 all star game at tackle. He may need some time to develop, since the former coaching staff had him playing tight end. Forget about Ian White at Center, as he is slower than molasses. He will get beat by any athletic defensive lineman. Betancourt was good at RG when he stepped in for White. BC might need Harris Williams to step out to play tackle. Vardaro slumped a bit with the crappy team performances, but he is a good player. I would take a wild guess and project these 5 to start next season:

LT Lembke
LG Vardaro
C Frank Taylor
RG Betancourt
RT Matt Pachan (transfer)
Last edited by SeaCaptim on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:34 pm

SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:Frank Taylor, the redshirt freshman to be, was being groomed to play center at BC. Bowen, is a very promising kid, who played in the PA Big 33 all star game at tackle. He made need some time to develop, since the former coaching staff had him playing tight end. Forget about Ian White at Center, as he is slower than molasses. He will get beat by any athletic defensive lineman. Betancourt was good at RG when he stepped in for White. BC might need Harris Williams to step out to play tackle. Vardaro slumped a bit with the crappy team performances, but he is a good player. I would take a wild guess and project these 5 to start next season:

LT Lembke
LG Vardaro
C Frank Taylor
RG Betancourt

Thanks. Too soon for a 2013 OLine thread?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:04 am

White will start... maybe not at center but I thought he was our best OL the last 2 years (tallest midget, but we'll still have mostly the same midgets). Also I'd be interested to see what Gallik can do with some actual coaching, he was well regarded coming out of HS.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:58 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
Thanks. Too soon for a 2013 OLine thread?

Maybe wait till Spring Ball? Any idea on when that starts, will be nice to not have the schedule based around the Hingham LL schedule.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 1:26 pm

SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:Frank Taylor, the redshirt freshman to be, was being groomed to play center at BC. Bowen, is a very promising kid, who played in the PA Big 33 all star game at tackle. He may need some time to develop, since the former coaching staff had him playing tight end. Forget about Ian White at Center, as he is slower than molasses. He will get beat by any athletic defensive lineman. Betancourt was good at RG when he stepped in for White. BC might need Harris Williams to step out to play tackle. Vardaro slumped a bit with the crappy team performances, but he is a good player. I would take a wild guess and project these 5 to start next season:

LT Lembke
LG Vardaro
C Frank Taylor
RG Betancourt

I thought Gaughan was the one from last years class that was projected at center
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:54 pm

Gaughan is not from last year's class. He will be a redshirt soph next season. He was listed on the depth chart, but Taylor was being redshirted.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:17 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:Frank Taylor, the redshirt freshman to be, was being groomed to play center at BC. Bowen, is a very promising kid, who played in the PA Big 33 all star game at tackle. He may need some time to develop, since the former coaching staff had him playing tight end. Forget about Ian White at Center, as he is slower than molasses. He will get beat by any athletic defensive lineman. Betancourt was good at RG when he stepped in for White. BC might need Harris Williams to step out to play tackle. Vardaro slumped a bit with the crappy team performances, but he is a good player. I would take a wild guess and project these 5 to start next season:

LT Lembke
LG Vardaro
C Frank Taylor
RG Betancourt

I thought Gaughan was the one from last years class that was projected at center

There is a reason you don't see many centers over 6'4".
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby hansen on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:31 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:

LT Lembke
LG Vardaro
C Frank Taylor
RG Betancourt

There is a reason you don't see many centers over 6'4".

What's the reason?
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby SeaCaptim on Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:46 pm

[quote]White will start... maybe not at center but I thought he was our best OL the last 2 years (tallest midget, but we'll still have mostly the same midgets). Also I'd be interested to see what Gallik can do with some actual coaching, he was well regarded coming out of HS.[/quote

If White starts, BC will suck again next season. He is too slow for Div. 1 football. He is tough but slow footed. BC OL is not small as they all went 6-5 to 6-7 except Gallik. Gallik had some good offers, but had to learn to play center, which is a tough position at D1.
SeaCaptim
Carney Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:53 pm

thought this was the recruiting thread.

just sayin.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:57 pm

SeaCaptim {l Wrote}:
White will start... maybe not at center but I thought he was our best OL the last 2 years (tallest midget, but we'll still have mostly the same midgets). Also I'd be interested to see what Gallik can do with some actual coaching, he was well regarded coming out of HS.[/quote

If White starts, BC will suck again next season. He is too slow for Div. 1 football. He is tough but slow footed. BC OL is not small as they all went 6-5 to 6-7 except Gallik. Gallik had some good offers, but had to learn to play center, which is a tough position at D1.

This is not an assessment I agree with at all.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:42 pm

Jan 18th is shaping up to be the final recruiting push for BC. Several players are taking OVs.

QB Julian
RB Webb
DT Maurice?
WR Lemelle?

It will be interesting to see if BC would take both Webb and Coppett, not sure there is room for both.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:55 am

I imagine there'd be plenty of room. We only had 17 in the class and that was before the de-commits. You take Coppet and Webb, because there's plenty of room and they're talented. Talent is good. We need talent.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:54 pm

To continue the hijack of this thread, the real talent on the OL (if you go by stars and offers) is in last year's recruiting class of Homer, Cashman and Taylor.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:00 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:Jan 18th is shaping up to be the final recruiting push for BC. Several players are taking OVs.

QB Julian
RB Webb
DT Maurice?
WR Lemelle?

It will be interesting to see if BC would take both Webb and Coppett, not sure there is room for both.

Robert Davis is coming on the 25th
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Dec 30, 2012 4:33 pm

We were also still recruiting Coppett and others before Daniels decommitted, so I don't see why we wouldn't take two more now.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:45 am

EA says Addazio is still recruiting Jack McDonald, can anyone who has access to the site sum it up?
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:13 am

He is definitely a soft commit at the moment and unlike Spaz, Daz is putting the full court press on him. It's nice to have a coach who won't meekly walk away if the recruit says that he's committed to school X. I say there is a 50/50 chance McDonald decommits.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:30 am

Jack McDonald has already said no to Boston College once. He did that when he said yes to Mike London and UVa. But Steve Addazio wants to try his hand with the BC High lineman.

Before the 2012 season began and Frank Spaziani even had a chance to salvage his job and build some momentum most of the top prospects from Massachusetts pledged to other schools.

John Montelus chose Notre Dame. Maurice Hurst Jr. selected Michigan. Jack McDonald committed to Virginia.

After Spaziani was fired three-star defensive tackle Tevin Montgomery committed to the Eagles. But he and Mackay Lowrie are the only two Massachusetts' residents in the Eagles' recruiting class.

With a new staff comes new opportunity, and Addazio seems to want to take full advantage of that opportunity.

"[Boston College] talked to me a bunch of times before the dead period," McDonald said on Sunday evening. "They really wanted to get me to talk to coach Addazio to see what his vision for the program is. I talked to him at my school a little bit.

"They're still trying. As of right now I'm committed to UVa and I'm looking forward to getting down there on my official visit on January 18."

McDonald unofficially visited BC during the spring and said he knows enough about the school. So don't expect him to take an official visit to Boston College.

But he does seem to at least be listening to what the Eagles and Addazio have to say.

"He definitely brings a lot of energy to the program," McDonald said. "It seems like he's big on the local guys. He doesn't want BC to miss out on the local guys like they have been. He wants to keep the talent inside Massachusetts.

"He's also big into smash mouth football, which is what we did in high school. He wants to run it up the middle and that kind of stuff. I think he's going to bring that program in the right direction."

McDonald has also continued to stay in contact with Sean Devine and Justin Frye, the Eagles' new offensive line coach.

Even though Hurst, McDonald and Montgomery have all selected different schools they still stay in contact with one another.

"I was actually just talking to Mo today as he was on his way to the Semper Fidelis All-American Game," McDonald said. "I talk to Tevin and Mack Lowrie, too.

"They're definitely trying [to flip him] but ultimately they respect my decision. They're just telling me they would love to play with me."

But that's only part of the story. McDonald is still committed to Virginia and the UVa coaches are doing everything in their power to keep him on board.

Brad Henson effectively decommitted from UVa when he flipped to North Carolina. Fortunately, the Wahoos had a suitable replacement in Eric Smith.

If McDonald were to flip it might be more difficult to find a replacement. In other words, calling him a priority would be an understatement.

"Before the dead period [UVa] had come in a few times," McDonald said.

"I've been talking to coach Wach [Scott Wachenheim] and he's really picked it up. I think he's a real good guy. I met him once in person when I went down there for my visit last April and I talked to him once in a while, but it was mostly Jim Reid. He was the coach I had really built a good relationship with.

"But coach Wach has really picked it up. He's been to my house with coach [Bill] Lazor. I had a nice meeting with him and we've got a good connection. They were just reiterating to me and my family how important we are to them.

"He [Wachenheim] thinks their O-Line [class] is going to be huge this year with me, Sadiq and Brad at the time, but now they've got Eric Smith."

McDonald had built a great connection with Henson through Facebook and their texts. He was surprised to hear that Henson had flipped to UNC.

"I was looking forward to meeting him," McDonald said. "I was just surprised. It didn't seem like he was going to [flip], but with the coaching change I understand. It's not like there was no reason. If he felt like North Carolina was a better fit then I understand."

Fortunately for UVa, McDonald still has one good connection to the Cavalier program: Sadiq Olanrewaju.

"I've built a good connection with him through Facebook and Twitter and all that stuff, too," McDonald said. "I'm looking forward to meeting him when I go down there in three weeks."
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:45 am

Brian Lemelle has a top 5 of UConn, Iowa, Penn State, BC, Nebraska. 247 has him rated as a 3-star WR.

He mentions that he has no leader at this point.

"All five coaching staffs have been very active in recruiting me and I've built great relationships with each."

Is there a favorite among the five schools that top the Keystone State standout's list?

"All those five schools rank equally with me. I need to get out to these official visits, so that I can make the best decision for me."

What's going to make one school stand out from the pack and ultimately land Lamelle?

"I'm just looking for that feeling. Once I feel that my heart's there, then I'll know which school is the right one for me."

As a senior, Lemelle put together a season to remember.

The three-star wide receiver hauled in 99 receptions for 1,590 yards and 11 touchdowns.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium