Adazzio named new head coach - and ...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Adazzio named new head coach - and ...

Postby Mod34b on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:36 pm

basselope {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Imagine if Bates knew nothing about Bill beilcheck, and interviewed him for the BC job. He would probably have Belicheck, taken out in a straight jacket and committed. Mumbling, short answers, too technical on the football side. Yes, Belicheck is a huge outlier, but my point is the process was mishandled, and I unfortunately think the end result will show that.

Separate of anything, but I think that people confuse Belicheck's disdain for having to talk to the media with his complete personality. He must do something we don't see to instill the type of loyalty he gets out of players. My guess is BB would be just fine interviewing for a job somewhere.

I agree with this. And also, I wouldn't describe Nick Saban (a Belichick disciple) as a rah-rah and the recruits are dying to play for him. Same with Urban Meyer. Recruits aren't dumb, they want a guy who will coach them up and get them prepared for the NFL. Belichick would be an excellent coach at any level. Certainly better than Herm Edwards.

Except Cleveland.

He took Cleveland to the playoffs one year and beat Parcells, I believe. Who were his QBs in Cleveland? Was it still Bernie Kosar? That didn't help.

The 1994 Cleveland Browns went 11-5 and beat the Bill Parcells coached NE Patriots twice that year.

Week 9 the Browns won 13-6
Week 17 in the first round of the playoffs Browns won 21-13.

Cleveland QB that season?

The pride of Elmont, NY
Mod34b

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:11 pm

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 0-07-12-40
1. That's one hell of a way to land recruits.
2. Does this start up the Diaco-Roman-Lembo-PCJR talk again?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sat Dec 22, 2012 3:50 pm

I just want to reaffirm I am 100% in favor with the Addazio hire. Coaching staff is off to a strong start. Addazio will be a great hire for BC
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby h2o on Sat Dec 22, 2012 6:49 pm

Anyone know how many schools interviewed Diaco during the hiring season and did not offer?
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:03 am

h2o {l Wrote}:Anyone know how many schools interviewed Diaco during the hiring season and did not offer?

BC, Temple and Wisconsin definitely. I'm not sure of others. Purdue and Colorado seem like possible fits but I don't remember reading that he interviewed at either.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:09 am

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Notorious- I was a little harsh with my comments about Daz considering he has never coached a game at BC. This hire however, was without question underwhelming at the BEST. When you have names like Diacco being thrown around and we end up with Daz..... that feels like a blow to the nuts. I hope he is successful, and will reserve judgement until his 2nd year. As a person who was not involved with the hiring process and is not paid by the university, I feel that anyone who isn't skeptical about this hire is a :seanwilliams HOMER.
To say you are 100 Percent behind this hire, after he went 4-7 at temple, and has proven nothing, is really astounding. I truly hope that you are 100 percent right. But please understand why so many people on this board had a violent reaction on news of the hiring.

I hated the hire initially due to other expectations. I remain annoyed at the BC AD office for its third world information management abilities. However, while Addazio does not seem like a homerun, I don't find it fair to say he's "proven nothing" he does have an impressive background as a recruiter and as a position coach. I have turned around somewhat on the hire where I now plan to give him the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. I really like his assistant coach hires, even Day considering that the Devine rumor appears to be nothing more than rumor.

At the same time the perception of Diaco has taken a hit in the process, rightly or wrongly, so that takes some of the perception/expectation sting away.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 9:55 am

Maybe it's a holiday 10-2 season but I'm warming up to Addazio, especially because of the hires on the defensive staff.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:17 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Maybe it's a holiday 10-2 season but I'm warming up to Addazio, especially because of the hires on the defensive staff.

Article on Boston.com today talks about Daz and at the end outlines how he's been off recruiting since he's arrived. Glad to hear the effort's there. I think any new hire would've doing the same. Sounds like he's got good energy, but time will tell whether or not he can recruit for BC, and whether or not he can coach the team to wins. I think I will lay off the negativity toward this hire and move on to the "wait and see" phase.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:15 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Maybe it's a holiday 10-2 season but I'm warming up to Addazio, especially because of the hires on the defensive staff.

Article on Boston.com today talks about Daz and at the end outlines how he's been off recruiting since he's arrived. Glad to hear the effort's there. I think any new hire would've doing the same. Sounds like he's got good energy, but time will tell whether or not he can recruit for BC, and whether or not he can coach the team to wins. I think I will lay off the negativity toward this hire and move on to the "wait and see" phase.

http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/f ... story.html
I hated the beginning of the article where it talked about how he was hired Immediately after giving BB a pep talk.

He's gonna have 3 years to win people over. That reality forces negativity into submission. However, it's really not unlike the reaction to Spaz... "hope he proves us wrong". If he lays down like Spaz did against Clemson and VT, you will see the same vitriol. The reality is that BB's search gave Daz little margin for error... which is completely unfair considering the situation he is inheriting (though Daz will have $10mm to suffer such an injustice).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:12 pm

If Diaco had been hired, what would HJS have complained about? Coordinator hires? Paid him too little? Said too many nice things about ND at his intro press conference?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:17 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

I hated the beginning of the article where it talked about how he was hired Immediately after giving BB a pep talk.

He's gonna have 3 years to win people over. That reality forces negativity into submission. However, it's really not unlike the reaction to Spaz... "hope he proves us wrong". If he lays down like Spaz did against Clemson and VT, you will see the same vitriol. The reality is that BB's search gave Daz little margin for error... which is completely unfair considering the situation he is inheriting (though Daz will have $10mm to suffer such an injustice).

The difference with the two hires is that everybody, with the exception of GDF and a handful of idiots, thought Spaz was not the right man for the job. We literally ALL knew he wasn't. This hire is more up in the air. On the face of it all, most think there were better options, but most aren't saying that Daz can't be a head coach like we knew Spaz couldn't be. He's got better energy, and at the very least it appears he's going to bust his ass. Whether of not that translates to success on the field, we'll just have to wait and see.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:21 pm

jhiggi02 {l Wrote}:Notorious- I was a little harsh with my comments about Daz considering he has never coached a game at BC. This hire however, was without question underwhelming at the BEST. When you have names like Diacco being thrown around and we end up with Daz..... that feels like a blow to the nuts. I hope he is successful, and will reserve judgement until his 2nd year. As a person who was not involved with the hiring process and is not paid by the university, I feel that anyone who isn't skeptical about this hire is a :seanwilliams HOMER.
To say you are 100 Percent behind this hire, after he went 4-7 at temple, and has proven nothing, is really astounding. I truly hope that you are 100 percent right. But please understand why so many people on this board had a violent reaction on news of the hiring.

Jhigg,

I understand your skepticism and hope your "kick in the nuts" turns out to be a glancing blow.

I think Addazio will turn out to be a really strong hire and in many ways the Anti-Spaz :

* In process of assembling a strong staff - good coaches want to work for him
* Lots of energy and passion - after 4 years of complacency and going through the motions
* Not afraid to set the bar high - a welcome change after Spaz's "We are what we are" and "We can't be what we were" (even as recently as 5 years ago)"
* Wants attacking defense and got one of the best coaches to execute it in Don Brown
* Great recruiter, who feels recruiting success is dictated by the head coach's actions, and the buck stops with him
* Has a chip on his shoulder and needs to win here
* Excellent motivator

Time will prove me right or wrong - in the interim I'm jazzed for the first time in 4 years and going to enjoy the ride.
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby Supahfan99 on Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:13 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:

I'm not going to lie, I was pretty bullcrap right from the start of that article when BB had pretty much decided after that interview that he was going to hire Daz. So much for due process!

After reading the rest of it, I have a bit more confidence in this guy to get us back to at least mediocrity. But my opinion of Brad Bates is worse than it was before.
Supahfan99
Campion Hall

Postby mod6A on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:28 pm

10 and 2 season is starting early this year. i like it! mark it in the book someone. :skank

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants
we are all whalepants now
mod6A
Merkert Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:48 pm

mod6A {l Wrote}:

10 and 2 season is starting early this year. i like it! mark it in the book someone. :skank

:whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants :whalepants

I assumed he meant the Hockey team this year.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Re: i'm done seriously - Adazzio named new head coach

Postby durkcal on Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:35 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
durkcal {l Wrote}:it will be interesting to find out what he is being paid. While there were other candidates I would have preferred, i think this is actually a decent hire. He re-energizes the program big time. He has to bring in a good QB coach (not Rogers) and defensive coordinator (not Heater). We may actually get a running game again.

I was never that gung ho on Diaco or Golden. I actually think Adazzio may be a better coaching version of Golden (never been impressed with Miami last 2 years on the field).

I know I am in the very small minority - perhaps 2%.

Very curious how you would look at Golden vs. Addazzio and come up with Addazzio as the better?

I am good with what I said on Daz six years ago. He did re-energize the program. He actually did bring in good coordinators, at least initially. He did not replace them as well. He's a relatively high floor coach. He'll bring up the talent and motivate the program to a level where they can beat the teams they are supposed to.
durkcal
Campion Hall

Previous

Return to Alumni Stadium