Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby RedBaron67 on Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:04 pm

joemack13 {l Wrote}:Caudill is getting 0 minutes when we're thin down low right now, why should we think he'll get any minutes next year?

We have Van Nest this season; we won't next season. We could conceivably play a front line rotation of Anderson, Clifford, Odio, and Dragicevich (I"d forgotten about Dragicevich), but that would use up Anderson over the course of the season. Since Donahue doesn't appear to be shopping for a center, I have to assume that he intends to use Caudill to back up Clifford at least part of the time next season (which leads to other questions. Can Caudill lose 25 more pounds? Will his feet move much faster even if he does?)
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 10:50 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
joemack13 {l Wrote}:Caudill is getting 0 minutes when we're thin down low right now, why should we think he'll get any minutes next year?

We have Van Nest this season; we won't next season. We could conceivably play a front line rotation of Anderson, Clifford, Odio, and Dragicevich (I"d forgotten about Dragicevich), but that would use up Anderson over the course of the season. Since Donahue doesn't appear to be shopping for a center, I have to assume that he intends to use Caudill to back up Clifford at least part of the time next season (which leads to other questions. Can Caudill lose 25 more pounds? Will his feet move much faster even if he does?)

No. With his total lack of playing time, not sure why he would stick around anyway. We need a big for 2013. Rashard Kelly is likely.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:12 pm

Looks like Rashard Kelly is going to the game today:
@JoshPaunilNRS
2013 SF Rashard Kelly (@WizKellyy), who's mulling reclassifying to 2014, will take an official visit to BC this weekend.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:14 pm

If Kelly considers BC an acceptable option, he'll probably commit; if he doesn't, he'll reclassify. This could be an interesting test of just how bad the recruiting situation is.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:39 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:If Kelly considers BC an acceptable option, he'll probably commit; if he doesn't, he'll reclassify. This could be an interesting test of just how bad the recruiting situation is.

Kelly is a pretty mediocre option for BC.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Brablc on Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:51 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:If Kelly considers BC an acceptable option, he'll probably commit; if he doesn't, he'll reclassify. This could be an interesting test of just how bad the recruiting situation is.

Not great but does look like an athletic kid with some upside. And BC could use another guy that could play the 4 next year.

Here's a video (check 2:58 mark):

Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:14 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Not great but does look like an athletic kid with some upside. And BC could use another guy that could play the 4 next year.

Here's a video (check 2:58 mark):

He's better than the rid-raff we currently play off the bench.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Travis jorgenson

Postby bird3310 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:07 pm

Holding recent offers from georgia tech, k state, Creighton, Rutgers, George Washington and Nebraska, travis jorgenson, rivals rated 138, pg from new Hampton prep will take a official visit this weekend to bc.
bird3310
n00b

Re: Travis jorgenson

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:27 pm

bird3310 {l Wrote}:Holding recent offers from georgia tech, k state, Creighton, Rutgers, George Washington and Nebraska, travis jorgenson, rivals rated 138, pg from new Hampton prep will take a official visit this weekend to bc.

He'd be my #1 PG of choice.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:34 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
bird3310 {l Wrote}:Holding recent offers from georgia tech, k state, Creighton, Rutgers, George Washington and Nebraska, travis jorgenson, rivals rated 138, pg from new Hampton prep will take a official visit this weekend to bc.

Oh yes, he's big time. Would seriously help solidify the backcourt for the future.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:46 pm

With the recruitment of Jorgenson, will Donahue be willing to play Hanlan more off the ball, or even go 3 guards and keep Lonnie Jackson coming off the bench? Will Dragicevich be expected to fill minutes at both the 3 and 4?
Last edited by bluefishskip on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:52 pm

bluefishskip {l Wrote}:With the recruitment of Jorgenson, will Donahue be willing to play Hanlan more off the ball, or even go 3 guards and keep Lonnie Jackson coming off the bench?

Jorgenson is the best pure ball handler of anyone currently on the team. You'd have to think with Dragicevich coming in next year, he will start the 3.

Hanlan, Rahon, Dragicevich, Anderson, Clifford being the starting 5.

Jorgenson, Jackson, Heckmann first off the bench with Owens being a role player, Odio and Caudill being minor depth subs.

Jorgenson will get his minutes for sure, though.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:58 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Oh yes, he's big time. Would seriously help solidify the backcourt for the future.

He's another one of those limited athlete type of kids but we're in no position to turn down Top 150 players. He's a huge get if Donahue can reel him in.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:01 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

He's another one of those limited athlete type of kids but we're in no position to turn down Top 150 players. He's a huge get if Donahue can reel him in.

He's not a burner or anything. But he's very smart and he can get creative with the ball. Exactly what you need in a PG
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

He's not a burner or anything. But he's very smart and he can get creative with the ball. Exactly what you need in a PG

Rahon was supposedly limited athletically but I'd take a couple more of him on the team
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:53 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
Shaddix {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:

Rahon was supposedly limited athletically but I'd take a couple more of him on the team

Rahon was supposedly limited by his injury, which turns out to be completely healed -- Donahue was either lucky or better informed than others. Jorgenson is just (relatively) slow; if he weren't, Rivals would have him a lot higher than #138.
After all my rationalizations about why BC and Jorgenson aren't an item this year, here he comes on an official visit -- his second official visit, if I'm not mistaken (last year as a senior, now as a postgrad). He said then that he liked BC, and if he's coming back for a second look (actually, it may be a third -- I think he was at an elite camp before last year's visit), he must have meant it. Apparently, Donahue thinks (unsurprisingly, given the A/TO ratio situation) that he needs another ballhandler to replace Daniels sooner rather than later. The main problem, of course, is that the competition for Jorgenson (hometown issues aside, as they are this time) is considerably tougher than last year. Still, BC was ready to take him last year, which is probably worth something, and he fits Donahue's system well enough that he probably doesn't have any serious worries about PT. If he commits, the question of scholarship squeeze may reappear, but perhaps some people's confidence about further transfers is justified.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby bird3310 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:29 am

Pretty sure Travis is a true senior, transferring from Columbia Mo to play at New Hampton. Had 1 unofficial visit in 2011 and this will be his official. Im almost positive he's a senior and not a post grad.
http://hoopdreamsmag.com/?p=6478

highlight I found on him from New Hampton
bird3310
n00b

Postby MattTheEagle on Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:01 am

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:If he commits, the question of scholarship squeeze may reappear, but perhaps some people's confidence about further transfers is justified.

If we can land Jorgenson that would be a very good thing. I no longer care about the scholarship squeeze. At this point Donahue needs to try and do whatever he can to win. Given the weaknesses of this team, minutes won't be an issue for either Jorgenson or Owens. Right now we are looking at possibly not making the tournament next year, which before I thought was a sure thing. If we can land both Jorgenson and Kelly then I say take both. If we can land a third recruit that scouts are particularly high on (such as Etou) then you take him too. Even if we leave zero scholarships for 2014, there is almost certain to be at least one transfer and unless we can turn the ship around it will be highly unlikely to recruit our top targets anyways.

On a sidenote, I think this Board acknowledges that JD was not good enough to start in the ACC, but he would have been a great PG off the bench and would have dramatically helped this team. His ability to break the press and find open players can hardly be disputed. Unlike Daniels, Humphrey actually sucks but sadly even he would have helped this team.

As a matter of old news, I am also pissed at GDF and/or admissions who did not let Travis Taylor come to BC. Unlike virtually our entire roster, Taylor would have been an excellent player for us and given us some major depth as a big. If Donahue of all people (who cares about academics more than most coaches) was willing to take him, he should have gotten a pass despite past disciplinary issues. I am hoping Brad Bates and admissions give the coaches more discretion on who to take.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:15 pm

bird3310 {l Wrote}:Pretty sure Travis is a true senior, transferring from Columbia Mo to play at New Hampton. Had 1 unofficial visit in 2011 and this will be his official. Im almost positive he's a senior and not a post grad.
http://hoopdreamsmag.com/?p=6478

highlight I found on him from New Hampton

You're right -- Jorgenson has been 2013 all along. That visit last year confused me.

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:If he commits, the question of scholarship squeeze may reappear, but perhaps some people's confidence about further transfers is justified.

If we can land Jorgenson that would be a very good thing. I no longer care about the scholarship squeeze. At this point Donahue needs to try and do whatever he can to win. Given the weaknesses of this team, minutes won't be an issue for either Jorgenson or Owens. Right now we are looking at possibly not making the tournament next year, which before I thought was a sure thing. If we can land both Jorgenson and Kelly then I say take both. If we can land a third recruit that scouts are particularly high on (such as Etou) then you take him too. Even if we leave zero scholarships for 2014, there is almost certain to be at least one transfer and unless we can turn the ship around it will be highly unlikely to recruit our top targets anyways.

On a sidenote, I think this Board acknowledges that JD was not good enough to start in the ACC, but he would have been a great PG off the bench and would have dramatically helped this team. His ability to break the press and find open players can hardly be disputed. Unlike Daniels, Humphrey actually sucks but sadly even he would have helped this team.

As a matter of old news, I am also pissed at GDF and/or admissions who did not let Travis Taylor come to BC. Unlike virtually our entire roster, Taylor would have been an excellent player for us and given us some major depth as a big. If Donahue of all people (who cares about academics more than most coaches) was willing to take him, he should have gotten a pass despite past disciplinary issues. I am hoping Brad Bates and admissions give the coaches more discretion on who to take.

I agree with you that we should take both Jorgenson and Kelly if possible; both fill what are clearly urgent and pressing needs. If Donahue could grab someone as highly rated as Etou, I'd even risk coming up empty for 2014; this, however, is unlikely, as Etou already has a crowd chasing him and this is likely to be true of any blue chip talent still available in 2013.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:45 am

According to rivals Jorgenson visited BC unofficially in November.

Also:
@CASupAthletes
Boston College will be out to watch 2015, PG, 6'0, Kendall Small, Oceanview play tomorrow.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:19 am

Would one of you who would know better than I fill in the blanks/inaccuracies I have? Want to know how many scholarships we're looking at

2013-14:
SR: (1) Rubin
JR: (7) Anderson, Clifford, Caudill, Drago, Heckmann, Jackson, Odio
SO: (2) Hanlan, Rahon
FR: (1) Owens

Any insight on how Don is thinking about breaking the remaining 2 scholarships? Is he trying to grab 2 more (PG & a big) or is he banking one* to hunt for 2 in 2014's class. Thanks

*i am not suggesting banking scholarships homojs, i am simply asking
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:14 am

I don't think Rubin is on scholarship but I could be wrong.

2013: Joegensen/Kelly
2014: Cimino/Terrell/Joseph

It'll break down something like this. Seems like we'll take 2 in 2013 and 1 of those 3 in 2014. I'm not nuts about Kelly's lack of good offers, but a 6'7 220 pound high level athlete would help. I think he's similar to Dingba.

Jorgensen is the real deal
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Gabelli10 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:20 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Would one of you who would know better than I fill in the blanks/inaccuracies I have? Want to know how many scholarships we're looking at

2013-14:

Any insight on how Don is thinking about breaking the remaining 2 scholarships? Is he trying to grab 2 more (PG & a big) or is he banking one* to hunt for 2 in 2014's class. Thanks

Not that it really matters for this year since I cant imagine Don getting more than 2 more guys - but I dont think Rubin ever got a scholarship.
Gabelli10
n00b

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:07 am

Gabelli10 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Would one of you who would know better than I fill in the blanks/inaccuracies I have? Want to know how many scholarships we're looking at

2013-14:

Not that it really matters for this year since I cant imagine Don getting more than 2 more guys - but I dont think Rubin ever got a scholarship.

This is correct.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Will be nice to have an athletic player on the team:

Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby apbc12 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:23 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Will be nice to have an athletic player on the team:

Uh oh, where's campion when you need him? eepstein probably just made a huge mess.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:24 am

Watch from 0:30 to 0:46 to see Rashard Kelly and Garland Owens dunk.

Watch from 0:21 to 0:35 in this video to see Owens dunk.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby wildcat81 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:07 am

A dunk is only two points BC, need skilled basketball players who guard the pick and roll and multiple positions on the floor. This team is lacking lock down defenders.
wildcat81
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:27 am

wildcat81 {l Wrote}:A dunk is only two points BC, need skilled basketball players who guard the pick and roll and multiple positions on the floor. This team is lacking lock down defenders.

No. BC needed a Garland Owens. Badly. Right now they are like watching grass grow.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:37 am

wildcat81 {l Wrote}:A dunk is only two points BC, need skilled basketball players who guard the pick and roll and multiple positions on the floor. This team is lacking lock down defenders.

good defenders don't really need to be "skilled" in the sense you are using. Owens does seem to fit a need.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum