Adazzio named new head coach - and ...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Adazzio named new head coach - and ...

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:22 pm

The BE was also a lot weaker this year with WVU gone than it was in 2011.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:33 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Not to mention we don't have a staff--we know Day and Heater will be the coordinators unless Heater gets the Temple head job, but none of the other assistants have been CONFIRMED and the rumored names we've heard (Rogers, retaining Devine/Siravo) are far from impressive--and despite being told that Addazio is TEH BEST RECRUITER EVAR he's hardly made a splash on the recruiting trail. Right now he's scrambling around trying to hold on to the class, most of the guys with other D1 offers are looking around including guys who remained solid through Spaz's firing (presumably because they assumed the new hire wouldn't be a complete dud), we don't really have any new prospects other than Woulard and a couple RBs.

Also the fact that we aren't poachign at least a few of Temple's recruits worries me, especially since a few had BC offers from Spaz--if Addazio is such a great recruiter he should've been able to get at least a couple ACC-caliber guys to come to Temple. The fact that (according to Rowland) we aren't after any of those guys means that either he's not the great recruiter we heard so much about, or he's refusing to touch them out of loyalty to his former employer. The latter absolutely reeks of Spaz refusing to go after PSU transfers this past spring and of Tobias refusing to recruit the entire state of Virginia his first 2-3 years at BC.

The coordinator thing is ridiculous. I have no idea what's going on there.

On the recruiting thing, you're jumping the gun a bit. He was hired 7 days ago. It looks like there are 2 running backs in the picture who weren't before and the DE that committed to Tulsa may be back in the picture. The/a problem is that Spaz offered a million no other offer recruits about nine months before it was even conceivably appropriate. We have 16 commits, which takes us right up to the scholarship limit. It's debatable as to whether it is beneficial to pull the scholarships and not worth going into right now, but he can hardly bring in 10+ new recruits. Temple's best rated recruits are two linebackers, Buddy Brown and Jarred Alwan (we already have 2 in this class) and an OL Matt Barrone. Our greatest positions of need appear to be running back and DL. I think it would be completely terrible if Addazio pulled his Temple non-need position guys in right away and then it meant we couldn't recruit positions we actually should be addressing. For what it's worth, his Temple linebackers both had BC offers under Spaz, look very solid and Brown was a very sought after recruit (Arizona, ASU, GT, Iowa, Kentucky, UNC, NC State, PSU, Pitt, Rutgers, WVU, UVA, and Wisconsin offers). I remember reading something about Brown's recruitment being very weird and his committment to Temple having a lot to do with staying local.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:37 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:The BE was also a lot weaker this year with WVU gone than it was in 2011.

Sure, but I think its fair to say 2012 Temple had significantly less talent than 2011 and other than UConn and an unusually bad USF team there is not the same amount of terrible teams in the BigEast as the MAC. No one in the bigeast is as bad on a game to game basis as Buffalo, Eastern michigan, Akron, and Miami (OH). I'd guess but we'll never know that Temple would have been a 7ish win team in the 2012 MAC.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:14 pm

If Daz really is Spaz 2.0, then his bio in the 2013 media guide will read "In 2012 Addazio navigated Temple's transition to the Big East. Despite being selected to finish last in the conference and losing a North End-plate-of-macaroni-sized amount of players to graduation and injury, Coach guided the Owls to a formidable 7th place finish."
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:42 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:If Daz really is Spaz 2.0, then his bio in the 2013 media guide will read "In 2012 Addazio navigated Temple's transition to the Big East. Despite being selected to finish last in the conference and losing a North End-plate-of-macaroni-sized amount of players to graduation and injury, Coach guided the Owls to a formidable 7th place finish."

"But something funny happened on the way to the basement..."
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:37 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:If Daz really is Spaz 2.0, then his bio in the 2013 media guide will read "In 2012 Addazio navigated Temple's transition to the Big East. Despite being selected to finish last in the conference and losing a North End-plate-of-macaroni-sized amount of players to graduation and injury, Coach guided the Owls to a formidable 7th place finish."

"But something funny happened on the way to the basement..."

Well played.

HJS must have gotten really busy at work a 1st Amendment issue, no doubt
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:07 pm

wrapping my head around a few of the topics in this thread, here are my thoughts.

1.My biggest concern over this hire, was that Dazz was a known entity. He was not an under the radar guy, like the Colorado Mines coach. He was a head coach, so people know of him. In light of this, as best we can tell, with multiple job openings this year, it seems that Dazz never even would have had a sniff at any of the openings aside from BC. This guy has a resume, a body of work that was open to everybody and NOBODY WANTED HIM. I raised this same point the day spaz was hired. Spaz was patrolling an annual top 25 defense and occasionally a top 10 defense that was always among the lead leaders in turnovers. He was in a big conference, and never once did his name come up for a job before he got the BC gig. He was passed over when Jags got it, so what made him qualified 3 years later. You never even saw his name came up in Ivy league openings. My concern was Daz was that I believe he was one more 4-7 year at Temple from having head coached his last game anywhere. He wasnt getting a head job anywhere again at his age coming off back to back 4-7 years at Temple, but somehow he landed a 6 year deal to rebuild a program. If he was coming in to take over a coach who retired after a 7-5 season or who left for another job, I still wouldnt have hired him, but I could see the theory where you give him a 4 year contract to be the caretaker of a program while watching a Ryan Day, or soemone else in another program to see if that person was the long term answer.

2. No evaluation of Dazz as a recruiter for BC can be made right now. Whether he salvages, adds, or detracts from this class should not brand him. he has a roughly two month window to recruti kids to BC that have been recruited by other coaches at BC, or other programs for two years. Next years class is where the evaluations can start to be made.

3. Rodgers, in no way shape or form should be allowed to coach at BC again. Whether it was his fault or not, the situation escalated to a point where it would be inappropriate for him or the players who witnessed whatever happened to have to deal with each other again.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby h2o on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:43 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:wrapping my head around a few of the topics in this thread, here are my thoughts.

Agree with everything in your first point. I bought into all the BS Bates was slinging during his "search" process. Then, out of nowhere, he drops Addazio in our lap. I tried to watch the press conference of Bates introducing Daz as the HC. I closed my browser after about two minutes of this guys schtick, I couldn't stand listening to him. I have never been more disillusioned with BC football than I am now.
h2o
Campion Hall

Postby Iggle on Wed Dec 12, 2012 6:55 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:wrapping my head around a few of the topics in this thread, here are my thoughts.

1.My biggest concern over this hire, was that Dazz was a known entity. He was not an under the radar guy, like the Colorado Mines coach. He was a head coach, so people know of him. In light of this, as best we can tell, with multiple job openings this year, it seems that Dazz never even would have had a sniff at any of the openings aside from BC. This guy has a resume, a body of work that was open to everybody and NOBODY WANTED HIM. I raised this same point the day spaz was hired. Spaz was patrolling an annual top 25 defense and occasionally a top 10 defense that was always among the lead leaders in turnovers. He was in a big conference, and never once did his name come up for a job before he got the BC gig. He was passed over when Jags got it, so what made him qualified 3 years later. You never even saw his name came up in Ivy league openings. My concern was Daz was that I believe he was one more 4-7 year at Temple from having head coached his last game anywhere. He wasnt getting a head job anywhere again at his age coming off back to back 4-7 years at Temple, but somehow he landed a 6 year deal to rebuild a program. If he was coming in to take over a coach who retired after a 7-5 season or who left for another job, I still wouldnt have hired him, but I could see the theory where you give him a 4 year contract to be the caretaker of a program while watching a Ryan Day, or soemone else in another program to see if that person was the long term answer.

Probably my biggest frustration with this hire is something that speaks to your first point here. The Addazio hire is a complete failure to generate any sort of excitement about the program. In the long run, that might not matter. Everyone knows that winning takes precedence, so if Addazio manages a quick turnaround and competes, this isn't an issue. But right now, BC looks like a complete joke, coming off a season in which the football team is seriously one of the bottom in the FBS. The basketball team is atrocious. Everyone knows that college sports is "what have you done for me lately" and the amount of times that I've seen BC referred to as an ACC cupcake or doormat in the same breath as Duke or Wake Forest is really concerning. Lots of people claiming that we have failed to compete since joining the ACC - completely false, but still the prevailing image. I know a lot of people around here don't care about ND, but when it was floating around that it seemed like Diaco was going to go to BC, ND fans were very unhappy. Diaco is just one example of a potential hire for a real image shake-up. The common reaction from non-BC, college football fans I've seen around the Addazio hire is "What? Why? Were there really no better options for BC?" (or the UF fans who just laughed or expressed pity).

Like I said, this could prove inconsequential in 4 years if Addazio has BC in a good position and is winning. But at the moment, I think the perception of BC is really, really poor, and this did nothing to fix that. And, on top of that, the rumored assistant hires Addazio has here haven't done anything to make me think that this is the guy to lead BC to ACC championships... but that's been discussed to death.
zzz
Iggle
Campion Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:01 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:(compared to who we could've had)

I'm still waiting for any inkling of an indication that we could have landed all the candidates that have been drooled over, as it appears far from the given that you present it to be. Par for the course.

Mullen, BOB and Golden did not want the job but many of the other names kicked around here did. Addazio may be the right choice, but don't buy into the BS that no one but him wanted the job.

I'm definitely not buying into it. I'm also definitely not buying into HJS' typical crap either. 9903 sums up what I was getting at.

Come on Pedro, ESPN did a blurb on NFL Countdown the Sunday before BC hired Daz about several NFL assistants interested in the BC job.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9896&start=1830

Other than that and what ATL and/or West can say, no one can give you definitive proof. I have to believe that some of the guys we were drooling over were most definitely interested in the job. I have heard from many people involved in college and pro football that BC is an attractive gig. I am not sure if you are just messing with HJS, if you are, then disregard this.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:20 pm

I dont really care about generating buzz with the BC hire. Yes they need an infusion of energy within the program, but that is not what sells. Winning sells. A coach who screams and excites doesnt win games. The kids may go flying out of the tunnell, but the on the first play when they get smacked in the face, or outrun to the edge becuase they are not fast enough or have the play the 10 yard cushion because they are not trusted, or cant rush the passer because they are not quick or strong enough, then all the energy goes away, the rah rah speech in the locker room is a distant memory.

BC needs a coach who can recruit, coach up kids, and delegate to his assistants. BC needed to do a better job of looking at a coach's on field performance before they hired Dazz. It is like the NFL or NBA combine. these guys not it out of the park at the workout, or interview, even though their own field results didnt match. Most of these guys dont last. Dazz is an exciteable guy, he has so much enthusiasm that he probably just overwhelmed Bates, whereas Diaco, if rumors are to be true, came across poorly in the interview and lost the job. Stronger consideration should have been given to Dazz's most recent on field performance 4-7, as against Diaco's, taking a non top 25 at the start of the year to the championship game primarily on the back of his defense (and some lucky calls). Personality doesnt count for shit, winning does.

Imagine if Bates knew nothing about Bill beilcheck, and interviewed him for the BC job. He would probably have Belicheck, taken out in a straight jacket and committed. Mumbling, short answers, too technical on the football side. Yes, Belicheck is a huge outlier, but my point is the process was mishandled, and I unfortunately think the end result will show that.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:51 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:(compared to who we could've had)

I'm still waiting for any inkling of an indication that we could have landed all the candidates that have been drooled over, as it appears far from the given that you present it to be. Par for the course.

Mullen, BOB and Golden did not want the job but many of the other names kicked around here did. Addazio may be the right choice, but don't buy into the BS that no one but him wanted the job.

I'm definitely not buying into it. I'm also definitely not buying into HJS' typical crap either. 9903 sums up what I was getting at.

Come on Pedro, ESPN did a blurb on NFL Countdown the Sunday before BC hired Daz about several NFL assistants interested in the BC job.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=9896&start=1830

Other than that and what ATL and/or West can say, no one can give you definitive proof. I have to believe that some of the guys we were drooling over were most definitely interested in the job. I have heard from many people involved in college and pro football that BC is an attractive gig. I am not sure if you are just messing with HJS, if you are, then disregard this.

I don't think Pedro is saying that, at least since I wasn't saying that and he said I summed up what he was getting at. I think ATL and you think he is saying that BC had no options and therefore Addazio was excusable, which I don't think he is. I think he is just saying that their were some candidates whose names were floated on this board and other places who very well may have had no interest, ATL mentions Golden, Mullen and BOB I'd add that Diaco may well have been in this category (he specifically was I believe the initial source of contention). I don't think Pedro or anyone is arguing that some combination of Sullivan, Roman, Hazell, Doeren, Kromer the besty, Lembo, Macyntire and other seemingly higher upside hires wouldn't have jumped a the job.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:15 pm

I've seen a Bob Diaco interview and I just think he takes his time and answers questions thoughtfully in a composed manner. Just because he isn't screaming at the top of his lungs doesn't mean he doesn't have enthusiasm. It's easy to get fooled by the rah-rah guys, like Bates might have been, but sometimes it's the quiet ones that get the job done. I don't know what you're definition of socially awkward is, but Diaco ain't it.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:19 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I dont really care about generating buzz with the BC hire. Yes they need an infusion of energy within the program, but that is not what sells. Winning sells. A coach who screams and excites doesnt win games. The kids may go flying out of the tunnell, but the on the first play when they get smacked in the face, or outrun to the edge becuase they are not fast enough or have the play the 10 yard cushion because they are not trusted, or cant rush the passer because they are not quick or strong enough, then all the energy goes away, the rah rah speech in the locker room is a distant memory.

BC needs a coach who can recruit, coach up kids, and delegate to his assistants. BC needed to do a better job of looking at a coach's on field performance before they hired Dazz. It is like the NFL or NBA combine. these guys not it out of the park at the workout, or interview, even though their own field results didnt match. Most of these guys dont last. Dazz is an exciteable guy, he has so much enthusiasm that he probably just overwhelmed Bates, whereas Diaco, if rumors are to be true, came across poorly in the interview and lost the job. Stronger consideration should have been given to Dazz's most recent on field performance 4-7, as against Diaco's, taking a non top 25 at the start of the year to the championship game primarily on the back of his defense (and some lucky calls). Personality doesnt count for shit, winning does.

Imagine if Bates knew nothing about Bill beilcheck, and interviewed him for the BC job. He would probably have Belicheck, taken out in a straight jacket and committed. Mumbling, short answers, too technical on the football side. Yes, Belicheck is a huge outlier, but my point is the process was mishandled, and I unfortunately think the end result will show that.

Again, I don't like the hire, but Addazio's 4-7 shouldn't be the reason we don't like him and while enthusiasm is as you say a secondary concern, the BB comparison is less valid as there is some intrinsic value to enthusiasm in the college game when the talent base is achieved through convincing high school kids its a good idea to play at BC.

The process mishandled thing is interesting. I agree that the optics were awful and Bates - whose twitter musings are fucking unbearable by the way "so proud of the [name non-revenue] team for doing [non-sports related activity]" - and staff completely blew the information control game. This is unquestionable. This is where hiring the 4-7 coach at Temple whose name hasn't even been mentioned once when everyone thinks you are stealing a coach from the U or PSU or grabbing a Harbaugh protege or ND's DC is unforgiveable. It is terrible expectation management. This is true even if Bates thought he was getting Golden or Diaco up to the 24th hour. The greasy one would have known to CYA and drop the addazio name (he just wouldn't have interviewed many other people). I should note I'm not talking about us so much as I am the more casual fans who don't care enough to even consider looking beyond their expectation being Golden/Diaco and their reality being a 4-7 Temple coach.

If my treatment of 4-7 is confusing, I apologize but I don't think it is inconsistent. I intend to express that 4-7 in one year at Temple does not provide a ton of evidence that Addazio is a bad on the field coach, but 4-7 at Temple in light of expectations of flash does matter in terms of fanbase expectations.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:14 am

Seconded on the BB comparison being dumb. He'd be a shitty college coach.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:23 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Imagine if Bates knew nothing about Bill beilcheck, and interviewed him for the BC job. He would probably have Belicheck, taken out in a straight jacket and committed. Mumbling, short answers, too technical on the football side. Yes, Belicheck is a huge outlier, but my point is the process was mishandled, and I unfortunately think the end result will show that.

Separate of anything, but I think that people confuse Belicheck's disdain for having to talk to the media with his complete personality. He must do something we don't see to instill the type of loyalty he gets out of players. My guess is BB would be just fine interviewing for a job somewhere.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:25 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:The greasy one would have known to CYA and drop the addazio name (he just wouldn't have interviewed many other people).

Fixed.

I mostly agree with what you're saying, although I don't think he should be given a pass on 4-7. I realize there are mitigating circumstances behind his record at Temple this year, and I'm not saying I would've been calling for his head if I was a Temple fan, but I do expect better for BC. Rewarding 4-7 with a promotion to a BCS job is like rewarding Spaz with a 5-year extension after year 2 when, while the wheels weren't completely off the bus yet (at least in terms of on-field results), the program was pretty clearly not headed in the right direction.

Another issue, which you allude to.....there are literally 15-20 realistic names (including 2-3 huge stretches, like BOB and Mullen, but none so unrealistic that they weren't even worth inquiring about) most of us would've rather seen get the job than Addazio. Many of whom have since gotten other BCS jobs, some at similar or lesser salaries than what BC is paying Addazio. And a guy who was in the top 2-3 on nearly everyone's list might end up with the HC job at the school we freaking got Addazio from.

Bottom line--Alabama-Notre Dame is probably going to be the most-watched football game in history, at least in the US (might not match the Super Bowl numbers overseas), and certainly the most-watched college football game ever. Anyone watching that game will hear every 5 minutes about how ND's rebirth has come on the back of their defense. And, if we'd made the right hire, those comments would've been immediately followed up with a mention of how this will be Diaco's last game at ND as he is leaving to take the head job at Boston College. If you think Diaco couldn't have gotten the players to run his system at BC based on that kind of publicity, you're out of your goddamn mind.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:37 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:The greasy one would have known to CYA and drop the addazio name (he just wouldn't have interviewed many other people).

Fixed.

I mostly agree with what you're saying, although I don't think he should be given a pass on 4-7. I realize there are mitigating circumstances behind his record at Temple this year, and I'm not saying I would've been calling for his head if I was a Temple fan, but I do expect better for BC. Rewarding 4-7 with a promotion to a BCS job is like rewarding Spaz with a 5-year extension after year 2 when, while the wheels weren't completely off the bus yet (at least in terms of on-field results), the program was pretty clearly not headed in the right direction.

Another issue, which you allude to.....there are literally 15-20 realistic names (including 2-3 huge stretches, like BOB and Mullen, but none so unrealistic that they weren't even worth inquiring about) most of us would've rather seen get the job than Addazio. Many of whom have since gotten other BCS jobs, some at similar or lesser salaries than what BC is paying Addazio. And a guy who was in the top 2-3 on nearly everyone's list might end up with the HC job at the school we freaking got Addazio from.

Bottom line--Alabama-Notre Dame is probably going to be the most-watched football game in history, at least in the US (might not match the Super Bowl numbers overseas), and certainly the most-watched college football game ever. Anyone watching that game will hear every 5 minutes about how ND's rebirth has come on the back of their defense. And, if we'd made the right hire, those comments would've been immediately followed up with a mention of how this will be Diaco's last game at ND as he is leaving to take the head job at Boston College. If you think Diaco couldn't have gotten the players to run his system at BC based on that kind of publicity, you're out of your goddamn mind.

That game won't come remotely close to one of the most watched of all time.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/2012-most-watched-sports/
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:46 am

I was talking out my ass a little bit but this year's championship game will draw a lot better than last year's.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:57 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:I was talking out my ass a little bit but this year's championship game will draw a lot better than last year's.

And still be about 9th on the list of most watched events at the halfway point of 2013.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:15 am

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Imagine if Bates knew nothing about Bill beilcheck, and interviewed him for the BC job. He would probably have Belicheck, taken out in a straight jacket and committed. Mumbling, short answers, too technical on the football side. Yes, Belicheck is a huge outlier, but my point is the process was mishandled, and I unfortunately think the end result will show that.

Separate of anything, but I think that people confuse Belicheck's disdain for having to talk to the media with his complete personality. He must do something we don't see to instill the type of loyalty he gets out of players. My guess is BB would be just fine interviewing for a job somewhere.

I agree with this. And also, I wouldn't describe Nick Saban (a Belichick disciple) as a rah-rah and the recruits are dying to play for him. Same with Urban Meyer. Recruits aren't dumb, they want a guy who will coach them up and get them prepared for the NFL. Belichick would be an excellent coach at any level. Certainly better than Herm Edwards.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:16 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

I agree with this. And also, I wouldn't describe Nick Saban (a Belichick disciple) as a rah-rah and the recruits are dying to play for him. Same with Urban Meyer. Recruits aren't dumb, they want a guy who will coach them up and get them prepared for the NFL. Belichick would be an excellent coach at any level. Certainly better than Herm Edwards.

Except Cleveland.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby MilitantEagle on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:21 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Except Cleveland.

He took Cleveland to the playoffs one year and beat Parcells, I believe. Who were his QBs in Cleveland? Was it still Bernie Kosar? That didn't help.
MilitantEagle
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:47 am

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Except Cleveland.

He took Cleveland to the playoffs one year and beat Parcells, I believe. Who were his QBs in Cleveland? Was it still Bernie Kosar? That didn't help.

I was being sarcastic. I have no issues with Bill Belichick, obviously. That said, there are distinct differences between what makes a good college coach and what makes a good pro coach. One of those is the difference between CEO and head cheerleader. And actually, Saban is a lot more "rah-rah" than his old boss, but yes, he is an example of a guy that succeeds in college with an NFL mentality. The flip side is Brian Kelly, who is clearly a screamer and fire up the troops guy.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:15 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:

Fixed.

That game won't come remotely close to one of the most watched of all time.

http://www.sportsgrid.com/nfl/2012-most-watched-sports/

Wow, look at some of the games the Pro Bowl beat out. Incredible.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:49 pm

The networks would wet themselves for a Giants vs Teebo Superbowl.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:49 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:Again, I don't like the hire, but Addazio's 4-7 shouldn't be the reason we don't like him and while enthusiasm is as you say a secondary concern, the BB comparison is less valid as there is some intrinsic value to enthusiasm in the college game when the talent base is achieved through convincing high school kids its a good idea to play at BC.

The process mishandled thing is interesting. I agree that the optics were awful and Bates - whose twitter musings are fucking unbearable by the way "so proud of the [name non-revenue] team for doing [non-sports related activity]" - and staff completely blew the information control game. This is unquestionable. This is where hiring the 4-7 coach at Temple whose name hasn't even been mentioned once when everyone thinks you are stealing a coach from the U or PSU or grabbing a Harbaugh protege or ND's DC is unforgiveable. It is terrible expectation management. This is true even if Bates thought he was getting Golden or Diaco up to the 24th hour. The greasy one would have known to CYA and drop the addazio name (he just wouldn't have interviewed many other people). I should note I'm not talking about us so much as I am the more casual fans who don't care enough to even consider looking beyond their expectation being Golden/Diaco and their reality being a 4-7 Temple coach.

If my treatment of 4-7 is confusing, I apologize but I don't think it is inconsistent. I intend to express that 4-7 in one year at Temple does not provide a ton of evidence that Addazio is a bad on the field coach, but 4-7 at Temple in light of expectations of flash does matter in terms of fanbase expectations.

I agree with this. As I posted when it was announced, if you are going to hire Daziani, better the eff be leaking names like Whipple, Martin, McDonald, Swepson and Murphy. You only blindside a fanbase when you announce a HOMERUN. You want to surprise with the hire, make damn well sure it is Cowher or Grudawg. But, to do it with a 4-7 coach from Temple who just so happened had a worse O and D than Spazoo... well, its such a major blunder that you have to question the AD's competency based upon his very first major move.

I also agree that Temple's 4-7 is also not an automatic disqualifier (and should warrant deeper analysis as to the reason). However, 4-7 when viewed against his closing years at Florida raises significant issues. While last year's 9-4 is impressive, the same deeper analysis that is warranted for 4-7 makes it much less of an accomplishment (it could be argued that 9-4 in the MAC with Golden's players is a lot like Spaz's first year with Jags' holdovers). Addazio is a questionable hire no matter the search. But, the announcement and the way it was handled (rising the hopes of a downtrodden, defeated fanbase only to completely crush their spirit) may cause permanent damage to both BB's and Daz's tenures at the Heights.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:13 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Except Cleveland.

I was being sarcastic. I have no issues with Bill Belichick, obviously. That said, there are distinct differences between what makes a good college coach and what makes a good pro coach. One of those is the difference between CEO and head cheerleader. And actually, Saban is a lot more "rah-rah" than his old boss, but yes, he is an example of a guy that succeeds in college with an NFL mentality. The flip side is Brian Kelly, who is clearly a screamer and fire up the troops guy.

It comes down primarily to recruiting... You think the SEC is top dog because kids get 'coached up' or because they get the best talent in the most fertile areas of the country.

Did Willie Green get 'coached up' or did they simply hand him the ball and let him go beast mode? How about Raji? Coached up, or just an awesome talent they let run amok on the interior line?

All the coaching in the world isn't going to turn Dudek into Willie Green... sorry.

Cam Newton? Carmelo Anthony? You lock down a difference making stud and you get a chance to do some great things.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:40 pm

The Knife of Asia {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Except Cleveland.

It comes down primarily to recruiting... You think the SEC is top dog because kids get 'coached up' or because they get the best talent in the most fertile areas of the country.

Did Willie Green get 'coached up' or did they simply hand him the ball and let him go beast mode? How about Raji? Coached up, or just an awesome talent they let run amok on the interior line?

All the coaching in the world isn't going to turn Dudek into Willie Green... sorry.

Cam Newton? Carmelo Anthony? You lock down a difference making stud and you get a chance to do some great things.

Could not possibly disagree more with the premise that coaching doesn't matter. Raji is actually a terrible example for your point.

That said, recruiting is certainly important and with the exception of about 5 places, the rah rah guys get the recruits.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby basselope on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:05 pm

MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
MilitantEagle {l Wrote}:
b0mberMan {l Wrote}:

Except Cleveland.

The 1994 Cleveland Browns went 11-5 and beat the Bill Parcells coached NE Patriots twice that year.

Week 9 the Browns won 13-6
Week 17 in the first round of the playoffs Browns won 21-13.

Cleveland QB that season?

basselope
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium