Adazzio named new head coach - and ...

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Adazzio named new head coach - and ...

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:20 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:on a semi serious note, someone -probably HJS- posted this the other day:

TGOSB {l Wrote}: BOSTON COLLEGE: Steve Addazio is a ramped-up version of Frank Spaziani and that's not a great thing. He's a solid coach, but this wasn't the sexy hire BC wanted or needed to boost recruiting, especially coming off a 2-10 season.

I consider Farrell not liking our coach to be spectacular news.

There must be some bad history between TGOSB and Addazio an/or Day.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:23 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:on a semi serious note, someone -probably HJS- posted this the other day:

TGOSB {l Wrote}: BOSTON COLLEGE: Steve Addazio is a ramped-up version of Frank Spaziani and that's not a great thing. He's a solid coach, but this wasn't the sexy hire BC wanted or needed to boost recruiting, especially coming off a 2-10 season.

I consider Farrell not liking our coach to be spectacular news.

There must be some bad history between TGOSB and Addazio an/or Day.

My thoughts exactly. The man refused to acknowledge Spaz was a bad coach or recruit until after he was gone, so its not like he gives honest evaluations.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:43 pm

Maybe I should be thrilled about the hire just because that fat creepy fuckhole Farrell doesn't like it. If Blaudscum doesn't like it either then I might have to consider Coach Dazzle a home run.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:48 am

The way I see it, the reason we liked the Jags hire was because of the Assistant Coach hires he made.

The reason we hated the Spaz hire was because he was THE WORST choice for a HC anyone could ever make, and GDF made it. None of his assistants helped make the team better, so we can deduce they were fucking terrible.

The reason we hate the Addazio hire is because there were probably 12 better options for the position, and now we're finding out he's bringing back and possibly retaining some of these assistants. So now we have a bad HC and bad assistants at the helm.

What a fucking disaster.

Fuck you, Brad Bates!
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:57 am

RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:The way I see it, the reason we liked the Jags hire was because of the Assistant Coach hires he made.

The reason we hated the Spaz hire was because he was THE WORST choice for a HC anyone could ever make, and GDF made it. None of his assistants helped make the team better, so we can deduce they were fucking terrible.

The reason we hate the Addazio hire is because there were probably 12 better options for the position, and now we're finding out he's bringing back and possibly retaining some of these assistants. So now we have a bad HC and bad assistants at the helm.

What a fucking disaster.

Fuck you, Brad Bates!

You bumped this thread so you can make the same point you have made over and over again?

:blah :bored
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:31 am

No. He's making a valid point that Jags (a guy no one really knew who had a meh resume) won people over based uponth staff he assembled. Spaz was suspect from the fucking beginning and the staff only reinforced that. Stank Daziani is following that same formula. He's saying that, while we all hated the hire (compared to who we could've had), he could've win over many by hiring a dynamic staff (something he isn't going to do). It's not unlike if he landed Woulard. People are looking for an excuse to convince themselves that we won't suck for another 4 years. So far Daz isn't giving us jack... just reinforcing that our initial thoughts were accurate.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:17 am

HJS {l Wrote}:(compared to who we could've had)

I'm still waiting for any inkling of an indication that we could have landed all the candidates that have been drooled over, as it appears far from the given that you present it to be. Par for the course.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:44 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I'm still waiting for any inkling of an indication that we could have landed all the candidates that have been drooled over, as it appears far from the given that you present it to be. Par for the course.

Explain to us what kind of "proof" you would except that someone other than Daz would have been willing to take this job? How about you prove to the rest of us that rumored names like Bob Diaco and Greg Roman WOULDN'T take the job.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:54 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:
RegalBCeagle {l Wrote}:The way I see it, the reason we liked the Jags hire was because of the Assistant Coach hires he made.

What a fucking disaster.

Fuck you, Brad Bates!

You bumped this thread so you can make the same point you have made over and over again?

:blah :bored

First off, no. I've said Bates is a freaking idiot, and that I don't like the Daz hire. This post was a summation of the last 3 hires. It essentially shows how this hire is bad because it lacks the positives of the Jags hire and contains all the negatives of the Spaz hire.

Are you sad that you're a miserable rah-rah that comes to EO with your "trophies for everyone" attitude and then get annoyed that you read criticism that has been spot on since the TOB era? Tell us where we've been wrong and I'll give you a trophy.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:02 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Explain to us what kind of "proof" you would except that someone other than Daz would have been willing to take this job? How about you prove to the rest of us that rumored names like Bob Diaco and Greg Roman WOULDN'T take the job.

If I had been reiterating assumptions that I drew mostly from building off my own statements as if they were fact, then maybe I'd be in a position to have to back it up. Not the case. I'm sure you'll say I'm a merryman now or some similar unrelated or irrelevant comment. Or you'll just ignore it as you do when most of your other myths stated as facts get exposed.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 12, 2012 10:51 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

If I had been reiterating assumptions that I drew mostly from building off my own statements as if they were fact, then maybe I'd be in a position to have to back it up. Not the case. I'm sure you'll say I'm a merryman now or some similar unrelated or irrelevant comment. Or you'll just ignore it as you do when most of your other myths stated as facts get exposed.

Thanks for bringing what you always bring to the conversation... nothing.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:27 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Mullen, BOB and Golden did not want the job but many of the other names kicked around here did. Addazio may be the right choice, but don't buy into the BS that no one but him wanted the job.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:35 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Mullen, BOB and Golden did not want the job but many of the other names kicked around here did. Addazio may be the right choice, but don't buy into the BS that no one but him wanted the job.

There is certainly a middle ground somewhere between the we turned down Golden and Diaco over money and fear of them leaving camp and the no one wanted the job and Addazio was the best available camp.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:56 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Thanks for bringing what you always bring to the conversation... nothing.

Thanks for confirming you have nothing to back up your statements.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:57 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I'm definitely not buying into it. I'm also definitely not buying into HJS' typical crap either. 9903 sums up what I was getting at.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:58 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

There is certainly a middle ground somewhere between the we turned down Golden and Diaco over money and fear of them leaving camp and the no one wanted the job and Addazio was the best available camp.

I can't believe anyone really thinks that Diaco turned us down. He is interviewing for the freaking Temple job!!! I also don't think that anyone truly believes that Golden, BOB or Mullen wanted this job and we refused to go after them (all three are in much better programs (even with sanctions)).
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:00 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

I can't believe anyone really thinks that Diaco turned us down. He is interviewing for the freaking Temple job!!! I also don't think that anyone truly believes that Golden, BOB or Mullen wanted this job and we refused to go after them (all three are in much better programs (even with sanctions)).

I have no idea on Diaco. I pointed out the Temple thing yesterday as a question, I still don't know what it means. Wisconsin is certainly a good job if he is a real candidate for that one.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:20 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I can't believe anyone really thinks that Diaco turned us down. He is interviewing for the freaking Temple job!!!

I'm sure no coach or employee has ever done interviews with the intention of turning it into more cash at their current position. The only possible motivator for anyone HAS to be advancement to a higher position, though, right? Ignoring that Wisconsin was in the market for a coach is a fun spin as well. Did you know that Bates and Kromer are besties, that Bates chose Treadwell over Lembo and Doereen, and that if you don't say one particular word a completely subjective amount of times in one press conference, that word is absolutely not a big concern to you?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:52 pm

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Ignoring that Wisconsin was in the market for a coach is a fun spin as well.?

Wisconsin job opened up the same day we hired Addazio, so the timing doesn't match.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:18 pm

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:Ignoring that Wisconsin was in the market for a coach is a fun spin as well.?

Wisconsin job opened up the same day we hired Addazio, so the timing doesn't match.

It opened before anyone learned Addazio was hired. Small window but still enough to disrupt the process, especially if Wisconsin knew earlier and started reaching out.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:20 pm

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:

Didn't the Temple job open the same day we hired Addazio as well?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:27 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Walsh601 {l Wrote}:

Didn't the Temple job open the same day we hired Addazio as well?

There was a small window but still enough to disrupt the process.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby xu9697 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:51 pm

Report this postReply with quoteCoaching Candidates
by HJS on Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:10 am

It is not enjoyable to watch Spaz destroy my alma mater's football program. And, while I am fully aware that GDF may drive this program into the ground, I have to at least pretend that the end of this nightmare is near. In the spirit of trying to do something productive, I am going to start a list of potential replacements. I mean for it to be somewhat realistic and a bit over inclusive. This is an updated list that incorporates names, hirings and firings. I minimized those names that I don't believe would really be an option, but included them because they were thrown out at some point in this thread.

If the colored-names want to tack this... feel free.

College

Steve Addazio - Current Temple Head Coach. Connecticut born and raised. Considered an OLine guru. Has a real chance to land this gig if he does well at Temple. Catholic.

It should be noted that GDF has passed on Brady Hoke, Chip Kelly, Brian Kelly, Al Golden, Mike London, Jim Harbaugh and John Harbaugh (among many others). So, there is little chance that he will make the right call this go-around. It should also be noted that with any firing, the next hire is usually the polar opposite. TOB to Jags to Spaz is a good example. As such, my guess is that the next guy will likely be younger, very animated (i.e. rah-rah type), probably have head coaching experience and likely with a strong offensive background.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

HJS= serious question.....

You have probably answered this already, but it gets tough sometimes to keep up with 20 topics that say the same thing, each with 5-50 pages.

It seemed on 9-11-11 you were not overly negative about Addazio. You kind of just laid out the facts. Did you like him more before this past year? Were you never a fan?
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:28 pm

When HJS posted that, Addazio wasn't fresh off a 4-7 season. A lot can happen in a year-plus. Addazio's resume a year ago or four years ago was very different from what it is now. Hell, 4 months ago I would've considered him a decent hire. To use another example, if we'd fired Spaz after the 2011 season we all would've been pretty happy replacing him with a guy who now just got fired by Florida International.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:31 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:When HJS posted that, Addazio wasn't fresh off a 4-7 season. A lot can happen in a year-plus. Addazio's resume a year ago or four years ago was very different from what it is now. Hell, 4 months ago I would've considered him a decent hire. To use another example, if we'd fired Spaz after the 2011 season we all would've been pretty happy replacing him with a guy who now just got fired by Florida International.

One 4-7 season, in a year where the team moves up from non-BCS to sort of BCS makes that much of a difference?
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:35 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:When HJS posted that, Addazio wasn't fresh off a 4-7 season. A lot can happen in a year-plus. Addazio's resume a year ago or four years ago was very different from what it is now. Hell, 4 months ago I would've considered him a decent hire. To use another example, if we'd fired Spaz after the 2011 season we all would've been pretty happy replacing him with a guy who now just got fired by Florida International.

One 4-7 season, in a year where the team moves up from non-BCS to sort of BCS makes that much of a difference?

Given the entire context--the multiple far more appealing options we had both a year ago and now, the fact that they got run out of the stadium by almost every decent team they played, the fact that 2012 Big East is probably not any better than 2011 MAC (and is certainly weaker than 2012 MAC)....I'd say so, yes.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:43 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

Given the entire context--the multiple far more appealing options we had both a year ago and now, the fact that they got run out of the stadium by almost every decent team they played, the fact that 2012 Big East is probably not any better than 2011 MAC (and is certainly weaker than 2012 MAC)....I'd say so, yes.

Don't forget the fact that they allowed more points than the shittacular Spaz/McGovern defense of 2012, too.

It's a week later and I'm still as down on this hire as I ever was.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:47 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

In the world of "what have you done for me lately" as well as ADD-like feelings about the reputation of a coach, yes it does. Especially when the program is on life support, the conference stability is tenuous, and then the hire turns around and builds his staff with a bunch of "losers" that were integral parts of why the program is half in the grave.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:50 pm

Not to mention we don't have a staff--we know Day and Heater will be the coordinators unless Heater gets the Temple head job, but none of the other assistants have been CONFIRMED and the rumored names we've heard (Rogers, retaining Devine/Siravo) are far from impressive--and despite being told that Addazio is TEH BEST RECRUITER EVAR he's hardly made a splash on the recruiting trail. Right now he's scrambling around trying to hold on to the class, most of the guys with other D1 offers are looking around including guys who remained solid through Spaz's firing (presumably because they assumed the new hire wouldn't be a complete dud), we don't really have any new prospects other than Woulard and a couple RBs.

Also the fact that we aren't poachign at least a few of Temple's recruits worries me, especially since a few had BC offers from Spaz--if Addazio is such a great recruiter he should've been able to get at least a couple ACC-caliber guys to come to Temple. The fact that (according to Rowland) we aren't after any of those guys means that either he's not the great recruiter we heard so much about, or he's refusing to touch them out of loyalty to his former employer. The latter absolutely reeks of Spaz refusing to go after PSU transfers this past spring and of Tobias refusing to recruit the entire state of Virginia his first 2-3 years at BC.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 3:15 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I'm not happy about Addazio, but it has very little to do with his bad Temple season. He lost 7 starters to graduation on defense (first team all MAC-Adrian Robinson and Tahir Whitehead, Stephen Johnson, Quinten White, Kee-ayre Griffin, Deonte Parke and Kevin Kroboth)and first team all MAC players and NFL draft picks in Bernard Pierce and Evan Rodriguez as well as 3 starting OL and both receivers between 2011 and 2012 and the starting right defensive end got kicked out for assault right before they beat USF, and see MAC/Bigeast non-analysis below:

It is funny to say MAC=BigEast (in 2012 it is probably true or at least close) but comparing the two against each other straight up doesn't give or take a reason for 4-7, the correct comparison is 2011 MAC vs. 2012 Bigeast, which is pretty impossible to gauge:
2011: Bigeast 8 - MAC 1 and the average point differential was 24.375 a game; the Mac win was 7
2012: Bigeast 3 - MAC 4 and the average point differential in MAC wins was 7; Bigeast wins was 24

I don't like the Addazio hire because of the style of offense and am so far not impressed with the direction of the staff. I also would have preferred other candidates.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium