2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:53 am

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:It's not just the depth chart... it is the lack of any PT... the constant chatter about him having zero arm strength (something that was evident at the Spring Game)... and that Doug Martin was down on the kid (not just Spaz). It should be noted that as many reports there are about him being not-ACC-caliber, there are at least as many reports about him being a super kid who is the coaches and players think very highly of as a person.

I guess, if you are going to doubt the rumors of one, you should doubt both.

He threw what 2 passes at the spring game?

Thinking about it, wouldn't be surprised if we move on from Shinskie. It's clear Addazio is aggresively recruiting and according some of the weird0s above, scholarships are a little tight. Granted, we'll probably have some attrition which will come after exams.

2013:
Rettig -SR
Tebow -JR
Suntrup -SO
2/3 FR

Don't believe Cranmore, Lommen are scholarship?

What I want to know is whether I too have the power to say something a bunch of times and then declare there is constant chatter about whatever I have been talking about.

You are now I'm both Doug Martin and Eric Hoffses??? When it is all said and done... you are truly as pollyanna as any of the merrymen.

No.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:57 am

I feel like HJS is the Joe McCarthy of merrymen-ism.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:12 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:It's not just the depth chart... it is the lack of any PT... the constant chatter about him having zero arm strength (something that was evident at the Spring Game)... and that Doug Martin was down on the kid (not just Spaz). It should be noted that as many reports there are about him being not-ACC-caliber, there are at least as many reports about him being a super kid who is the coaches and players think very highly of as a person.

I guess, if you are going to doubt the rumors of one, you should doubt both.

He threw what 2 passes at the spring game?

Thinking about it, wouldn't be surprised if we move on from Shinskie. It's clear Addazio is aggresively recruiting and according some of the weird0s above, scholarships are a little tight. Granted, we'll probably have some attrition which will come after exams.

2013:
Rettig -SR
Tebow -JR
Suntrup -SO
2/3 FR

Don't believe Cranmore, Lommen are scholarship?

What I want to know is whether I too have the power to say something a bunch of times and then declare there is constant chatter about whatever I have been talking about.

You are now I'm both Doug Martin and Eric Hoffses??? When it is all said and done... you are truly as pollyanna as any of the merrymen.

No.

Allow me to elaborate on this.

It is perfectly reasonable to be a miserably prick when it is justified. In fact, under such circumstances you are not actually being a miserable prick, you are being realistic. But you simply cannot keep it up forever, it eventually becomes very, very boring and annoying. No one cares what you or I think so it doesn't serve any greater good, it just become repetitive noise, which in turn causes you to up your hyperbole several notches, which makes it annoying again.

The reality is that BC revenue sports have been in a constant downward turn since the beginning of 2009. There have been three notable opportunities to right the ship 1) the Basketball hire; 2) the AD hire and 3) the football coach hire. All are unimpressive. None seems like the best choice. However, you have blamed Gene DeFillipo for absolutely every aspect of Boston College shortcoming since at least 2009. It turns out that while he was an awful athletic director and his hire of Spaziani was disastrous, that even he was more symptom than disease. That makes you wrong. It makes you wronger than everyone else on the board because you were the loudest and the most single minded. Now you are starting again, immediately, down the same course at the same speed and the same volume.

The AD has been on the job for about 2 months, the football coach for about a week and the basketball coach for 2 and a half years. The first two will be here for 3 years at a minimum. The latter probably at least another year and a half and his replacement will be hired by the new AD you hate. The president of the school, whose fingerprints are all over the decline, will be here until he doesn't want to be here anymore. He is 64 so he could realistically still be here for a very long time.

The above means that there is no way that anything significant changes for 1.5 years and for football even longer. Perhaps I don't enjoy bitching about absolutely every single aspect of every thing, ever, as much as you, but I would rather at least give some cautious optimism at the beginning of a new era - even though its not the one I wanted. When it becomes apparent that failure has again occurred, I will rejoin being miserable.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:53 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:However, you have blamed Gene DeFillipo for absolutely every aspect of Boston College shortcoming since at least 2009. It turns out that while he was an awful athletic director and his hire of Spaziani was disastrous, that even he was more symptom than disease. That makes you wrong. It makes you wronger than everyone else on the board because you were the loudest and the most single minded. Now you are starting again, immediately, down the same course at the same speed and the same volume.

GDF pushed TOB and Inglese out the door... he fired Jags and Skinner. None of that has the fingerprints of Leahy. Regardless, the follow-on hires were underwhelming and very well may be the result of Leahy and the BOT. You see that being proof of me be a miserable prick who was wrong. I view it as me being optimistically naïve that all our problems could be cured by simply replacing one incompetent AD. I was wrong. BC's problems in athletics are much more intrenched and any turn around will be glacial. If that somehow makes you feel better... great.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:However, you have blamed Gene DeFillipo for absolutely every aspect of Boston College shortcoming since at least 2009. It turns out that while he was an awful athletic director and his hire of Spaziani was disastrous, that even he was more symptom than disease. That makes you wrong. It makes you wronger than everyone else on the board because you were the loudest and the most single minded. Now you are starting again, immediately, down the same course at the same speed and the same volume.

GDF pushed TOB and Inglese out the door... he fired Jags and Skinner. None of that has the fingerprints of Leahy. Regardless, the follow-on hires were underwhelming and very well may be the result of Leahy and the BOT. You see that being proof of me be a miserable prick who was wrong. I view it as me being optimistically naïve that all our problems could be cured by simply replacing one incompetent AD. I was wrong. BC's problems in athletics are much more intrenched and any turn around will be glacial. If that somehow makes you feel better... great.

Point missed, I blame myself (seriously, I went on a tangent). So you and most of us, I was too, were wrong about the impact of replacing GDF, that sucks because it means there are probably much bigger problems, but we're stuck with these people for a few years. This is not "we are what we are" at all, it is pure and simple fact, with some extraordinarily unlikely exceptions. Most of us appearing to be wrong doesn't make me feel better at all, but what is the point of just picking up at the same stage of misery we left off at the end of Spaz? I'm not suggesting we all pretend the talent dearth went away or that Addazio is even likely to be a solution, just that its doesn't help at all to exaggerate the pretty shitty reality.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:47 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:No.

Allow me to elaborate on this.

Self fagtag?

A boomerang if you will?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby xu9697 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:36 pm

Wow...this is some riveting recruiting discussion!
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:46 pm

xu9697 {l Wrote}:Wow...this is some riveting recruiting discussion!

I'm sorry I interrupted your young boy hip fluidity analysis.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:48 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

My favorite poster - the recruiting jerkoff that bitches when people talk sports in his recruiting thread.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby thebigskinny31 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:06 pm

Not sure if anybody else follows Wpulard on Twitter but there's no mention of BC.. He has talked about Tenneessee, Miss St, & NC State
thebigskinny31
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:14 pm

thebigskinny31 {l Wrote}:Not sure if anybody else follows Wpulard on Twitter but there's no mention of BC.. He has talked about Tenneessee, Miss St, & NC State

I saw that. I just assumed that BC hasn't gotten in contact with him yet
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby joesim on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Can someone post the recruiting notebook?
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:34 pm

joesim {l Wrote}:Can someone post the recruiting notebook?

now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby xu9697 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:43 pm

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

My favorite poster - the recruiting jerkoff that bitches when people talk sports in his recruiting thread.

OHHHHHH...that was sports they were talking about? Not just the same old consistent bitching that can easily be seen on just about every other thread. Sorry I missed that.
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:51 pm

DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:20 pm

The Steve Addazio era is here and with it new opportunity has arisen.

Few envy coaches charged with the task of piecing together a recruiting class with only two months before Signing Day, but Addazio has welcomed the challenge and doesn't appear to be stopping to catch his breath.

We're going to learn much more in the weeks and months ahead and over the next year we should have a better idea of what kind of program Addazio is going to be selling to recruits, as well as what kind of recruits he wants as the foundation of the Boston College football team.

Any more de-commitments coming?

Michael Geiger is a heck of a kicker but let's be real: If you're going to lose a commitment it's best that it be a kicker. The bigger question is whether BC will lose any more commitments?

Sources tell EagleAction.com that the one to worry about most is LeShun Daniels. He's developed a good relationship with Jim Bollman but it's going to be tough to hold onto the Warren (Ohio) Harding back.

Kirk Ferentz has reportedly told Daniels that he wants to come by for an in-home visit and if that happens it might become even tougher to hold onto him.

Both Daniels and another source have told us that Addazio's in-home visit went very well with him. The message was predictable: We want to run the football, we're going to be a physical football team, and we want you to be a part of that plan. It's a good message, but the question is really whether Daniels is listening.

Our sources are much more optimistic about other recruits. Matt Milano, we have been told, is likely to stick with the Eagles. His parents grew up in New York and are "Northeast people," so we're told. Now, if something happens with Commissiong (and it's distinctly possible anything could happen with the assistants - we just don't know nor have we heard yet) then that could affect Milano. But for now Arizona is not seen as a huge threat given present circumstances.

Sources are equally or more optimistic about BC's chances with Charles Callinan. He's extremely tight with Mike Giacone and that relationship could prove key.

We've been told that McGovern has built a great relationship with Callinan but the three-star prospect has really fallen in love with Boston College. So while he may be quietly talking here and there to the Scarlet Knights, for now he's seen as solid within the program. Callinan's family was very supportive of his decision to attend Boston College as well.

Running backs take center focus

What's with all the news about BC recruiting new running back targets?

Here's the deal: Sources have told us that when Addazio arrived and looked over the depth chart he saw a big need at the position. Under Spaziani, BC was still leaning towards taking a third back after Daniels and Myles Willis. Given the fact that the Eagles might lose Daniels (as well as looming graduations and injury issues) it's become imperative to get another on board, and maybe even two depending on what the Ohio back does.

Fred Coppet is still high on the wish-list but the other two names to surface are Robert Davis (who we have reported on) and Raphael Webb (who we just spoke with). Davis has an offer; Webb does not.

We're hearing BC has a very good chance with Davis already, and will with Webb as well if they decide to offer. Both are seen as the kind of explosive, versatile game-breakers that could make a relatively quick impact on the program.

Last weekend's visitors

Over the weekend we reported that linebacker Connor Strachan, a key Class of 2014 target, would be visiting on Saturday. He did and we hear it was a very positive experience. Frankly, we didn't feel too great about the Eagles' chances until recently. It's still very much up in the air but we feel, for the first time, that Boston College has a chance to really be in the hunt.

Strachan wasn't the only visitor. Commits like Mack Lowrie, Marquis Little and Kevin Kavalec joined Strachan and fellow junior prospects Jon Baker, an outstanding lineman, and emerging running back Johnathan Thomas from St. John's Prep, who claims an offer from UMass.

We hear everyone enjoyed the trip and the pitch. Strachan, Baker and Thomas are three of the top in-state targets in the next class and we're hearing that Thomas may not be too far from an offer.

Speaking of local 2014 talent

While we're on the topic of young prospects from the area remember these names: Noah Burke (St. Peter Marian) and Miles Wright (Tabor Academy.

Burke camped with BC over the summer and was a guy that really impressed, though no offer has gone out yet. Wright is an intriguing athlete who could really grow into a number of positions, including linebacker or defensive end.

We recently ran a story on Jonathan Hilliman and while the Eagles cracked his Top 10 we feel it's important to note that he is still probably a long-shot at this point. But if he takes a visit then BC could become a legitimate contender. Addazio has apparently made it clear that he's not going to back down from high-profile recruiting battles.

Former targets on the radar?

One question we have seen several times: Will BC pursue former targets that have committed to other schools? The answer: Yes, if they are receptive. It's common for schools to keep lines of communication open with recruits. Sources indicate the Eagles won't try to force themselves onto anyone -- former targets or not -- but will make it known that if they're interested, a spot is available.

Looking ahead to next year's needs

It looks like BC's positions of emphasis will be somewhat different in a couple of big ways next year.

First, while the offensive line wasn't much of a priority at all this year, expect BC to sign a big class of big uglies next year. Depth charts and rosters change in a hurry, and what was a logjam will quickly become an opportunity.

Given that Chase Rettig will be leaving another quarterback will be sought, even given the two commitments this year. We're hearing the Eagles will probably look to add at least three more wide receivers once again. BC will be pretty young at linebacker and is bringing in a good bit on the defensive line, but those spots will always be targeted.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:43 pm

Daziani wants to have a CJ Leak-type QB. But there aren't any on the roster or the incoming class. If BC isn't landing Woulard (we're not), Daz has to realize that for the next 3+ seasons he will be dealing with a drop back passer. He better let Day tailor the offense to incorporate that ala Logan.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby AdamBC on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:57 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:

Charlie Weiss

Wow, he really let himself go.
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:19 pm

Snag Woulard, and I immediately go from "on the fence" to "supportive" of Spazdazzio.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 9:57 am

xu9697 {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

OHHHHHH...that was sports they were talking about? Not just the same old consistent bitching that can easily be seen on just about every other thread. Sorry I missed that.

Unfortunately for the rest of us, you didn't.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEagles66 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:07 pm

Myles Willis was visited by a PSU coach. That place is a hell hole.
BCEagles66
Carney Hall

Postby xu9697 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:41 pm

BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Snag Woulard, and I immediately go from "on the fence" to "supportive" of Spazdazzio.

Certainly would be a home run, but that is a tough road with such a short time frame.

I really wish we would focus on what we have HISTORICALLY done well with in the last 25+ years....OL, LB, TE, drop back QB (unless another Doug Flutie is walking through the door). At the very least, please give me a QB who happens to be a good athlete vs. a very good athlete who happens to play QB. I have not seen a lot of Temple football over the last couple years, but the QB situation has looked bad when I have watched.

I have said before I am fine with BC becoming the "Wisconsin of the East". But we can't afford to have an offense that throws for 1,500 yards (if memory serves, Temple's main QB threw for about that this year).
xu9697
Carney Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:10 pm

xu9697 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Snag Woulard, and I immediately go from "on the fence" to "supportive" of Spazdazzio.

Certainly would be a home run, but that is a tough road with such a short time frame.

I really wish we would focus on what we have HISTORICALLY done well with in the last 25+ years....OL, LB, TE, drop back QB (unless another Doug Flutie is walking through the door). At the very least, please give me a QB who happens to be a good athlete vs. a very good athlete who happens to play QB. I have not seen a lot of Temple football over the last couple years, but the QB situation has looked bad when I have watched.

I have said before I am fine with BC becoming the "Wisconsin of the East". But we can't afford to have an offense that throws for 1,500 yards (if memory serves, Temple's main QB threw for about that this year).

I'd immediately go from "this is an unmitigated disaster" to "this is a slightly mitigated disaster".

FWIW, Wisconsin's best season the last decade or so came with Russell Wilson behind center. But obviously he fits the "great QB who also happens to be an athlete" mold. I'm fine with a guy like Wilson, RG3, Manziel, Flutie, or PaulPete (not comparing him to the other 4 in terms of skill, but in terms of playing style he fit the mold)...a Colin Klein, Pat White type I wouldn't be as thrilled about.

I actually think Tim Tebow is a relevant case study here....coming out of HS he clearly had the tools to be a traditional pocket passer, every program in the country including pro-style offenses like USC and Alabama wanted him....many of his struggles in the NFL can be blamed on the fact that none of his offensive coaches at Florida bothered to develop him as a pocket passer because they didn't need to. Hopefully his offensive coordinator from Florida has learned from his mistake...
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:36 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
xu9697 {l Wrote}:

I'd immediately go from "this is an unmitigated disaster" to "this is a slightly mitigated disaster".

FWIW, Wisconsin's best season the last decade or so came with Russell Wilson behind center. But obviously he fits the "great QB who also happens to be an athlete" mold. I'm fine with a guy like Wilson, RG3, Manziel, Flutie, or PaulPete (not comparing him to the other 4 in terms of skill, but in terms of playing style he fit the mold)...a Colin Klein, Pat White type I wouldn't be as thrilled about.

I actually think Tim Tebow is a relevant case study here....coming out of HS he clearly had the tools to be a traditional pocket passer, every program in the country including pro-style offenses like USC and Alabama wanted him....many of his struggles in the NFL can be blamed on the fact that none of his offensive coaches at Florida bothered to develop him as a pocket passer because they didn't need to. Hopefully his offensive coordinator from Florida has learned from his mistake...

I think Wisconsin's best season of the last decade or so came with John Stocco behind center. I don't think this changes any of the rest of the post though.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby Shaddix on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:10 am

Must have gotten lost in the shitstorm today, but BC offered '14 Darrion Owens. He's a big dude, 6'4 safety out of Florida.

Big hitter, not very agile. Top end speed looks pretty good though. Overall, he's already better than anyone BC currently has on their roster.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1368104/highlights/17177387
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:40 am

Based off him & the players Addazio brought to temple, someones dream of goldilocks vs dreadlocks might come a reality.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby MF73-Eleazar on Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:55 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Based off him & the players Addazio brought to temple, someones dream of goldilocks vs dreadlocks might come a reality.

Whatever brings us the most wins and jaw shattering hits, I'm cool with it.
You what?
MF73-Eleazar
Cushing Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:11 pm

MF73-Eleazar {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Based off him & the players Addazio brought to temple, someones dream of goldilocks vs dreadlocks might come a reality.

Whatever brings us the most wins and jaw shattering hits, I'm cool with it.

Yeah, but what about the quality shirtless pics? Is Frank Addazio going to deliver on that front?
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby apbc12 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:15 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
xu9697 {l Wrote}:

What mistake? They won a national championship and Tebow had one of the best college careers in recent memory. He sucks in the NFL, but from the perspective of his college coaches and Florida fans, who cares?
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby Hunta518 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:17 am

Shaddix {l Wrote}:Must have gotten lost in the shitstorm today, but BC offered '14 Darrion Owens. He's a big dude, 6'4 safety out of Florida.

Big hitter, not very agile. Top end speed looks pretty good though. Overall, he's already better than anyone BC currently has on their roster.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1368104/highlights/17177387

We talking boomkat bowman type hits?
Hunta518
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium