2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:22 pm

I would like to point out at this time that Maryland has a dual threat qb commit named Shane Cockerville.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby ATLeagle on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:34 pm

With the Sabanization of the SEC, most of those schools want a ProStyle QB. Miami runs a Prostyle. Where else is he going to go? Ohio State? Oregon? FSU is already deep at QB. Maybe Auburn will make a run now that they are going back to a spread.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:45 pm

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:With the Sabanization of the SEC, most of those schools want a ProStyle QB. Miami runs a Prostyle. Where else is he going to go? Ohio State? Oregon? FSU is already deep at QB. Maybe Auburn will make a run now that they are going back to a spread.

I think the offers Woulard has gotten is a result of him committing to USF rather early in the process. It seems like schools are starting to show more interest (specifically Miss St and Arkansas recently) now that he has de commited.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:04 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I would like to point out at this time that Maryland has a dual threat qb commit named Shane Cockerville.

Cockerville or Cockeysville, Maryland?
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby DrJackRyan on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:16 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:I would like to point out at this time that Maryland has a dual threat qb commit named Shane Cockerville.

I think it is actually pronounced Rock-ville, Maryland. The the "eys" is slient.

And the "C" is pronounced as an "R".
DrJackRyan
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:30 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/bostoncollege/football/recruiting/player-Shane-Cockerille-123553;_ylt=AnmuHqwm7yUzxstTAYqMd46orJB4
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:04 pm

Did boatright from Brockton ever play a postion other than QB at BC?
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:09 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:As everyone knows, I have always been a proponent of recruiting 1 QB each year. I am also a fan of having BOTH drop-back passers and spread-type Qbs in your program (this is really not unlike where ND finds itself most years). Ideally, I would take all 3 Boyle and Woulard. In fact, weren't we all basically justifying the Lowrie verbal because he could play other positions in college if things didn't work out? Isn't this the same logic with Bordner and Rettig in the same class?

Can you provide an example of a BC qb recruit who played meaningful downs as a non-qb at BC? Is there anyone other than Boek who has played at all? I feel like there might have been in the late 90s-early 2000s but I can't think of who it would be. While hopefully Addazio is a superior roster manager to spaz, I think in all likelihood in practice you would end up losing one of your two qb recruits early on in their careers if you do the spread and drop back wait and see approach.

You aren't advocating that the Bordner/Rettig usage was tenable are you?

Henderson, for one.

Todd Pollack; Rob Tardio

There are also more than a few high school QBs that are currently playing a different position (just from last year's class, you have David Dudeck and Bryce Jones).

Spaz wasn't able to use Bordner/Rettig effectively together. But, ND has been able to. That very well may be due to shortcomings of Bordner (unless you are saying that Woulard is only going to be as good as Bordner). Nonetheless, my advocating for multiple QBs has less to do with playing them at the same time and more to do with the fact that it is very difficult to project which QB will develop (Rettig) and which won't (Suntrip). As a result, I believe you should have a good depth on your roster at that position (in case of disappointment or injury).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:10 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:As everyone knows, I have always been a proponent of recruiting 1 QB each year. I am also a fan of having BOTH drop-back passers and spread-type Qbs in your program (this is really not unlike where ND finds itself most years). Ideally, I would take all 3 Boyle and Woulard. In fact, weren't we all basically justifying the Lowrie verbal because he could play other positions in college if things didn't work out? Isn't this the same logic with Bordner and Rettig in the same class?

Can you provide an example of a BC qb recruit who played meaningful downs as a non-qb at BC? Is there anyone other than Boek who has played at all? I feel like there might have been in the late 90s-early 2000s but I can't think of who it would be. While hopefully Addazio is a superior roster manager to spaz, I think in all likelihood in practice you would end up losing one of your two qb recruits early on in their careers if you do the spread and drop back wait and see approach.

Henderson, for one.

Todd Pollack; Rob Tardio

There are also more than a few high school QBs that are currently playing a different position (just from last year's class, you have David Dudeck and Bryce Jones).

Neither of whom were recruited as QBs.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:12 pm

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Did boatright from Brockton ever play a postion other than QB at BC?

I think he finished his career as a TE... but, I don't think he ever played... as he transferred before his final year of eligibility.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Saying Suntrip hasn't developed is insane.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:22 pm

Didn't Cranmore play some DB in the spring game?
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:27 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I'll take Billy Flutie for 100
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:29 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
hinghameagle {l Wrote}:Did boatright from Brockton ever play a postion other than QB at BC?

I think he finished his career as a TE... but, I don't think he ever played... as he transferred before his final year of eligibility.

That is a blast from the past. Where did he transfer to?
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby EagleNYC on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:26 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:

That is a blast from the past. Where did he transfer to?

Before Jeff Smith was Reggie Bus 2.0, Boatright was Daunte Culpepper 2.0.
EagleNYC
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:33 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Saying Suntrip hasn't developed is insane.

I don't think this is a secret. The kid has been behind Shinskie and Bordner and Marsco for a reason. He barely played in the Spring Game, he doesn't see reps in practice and NO ONE has ever talked about him being the answer since he arrived on campus. Nonetheless, when the question was poised to Eric Hoffses on EA, his response: I have barely seen him play, which is saying a lot since I go to every scrimmage in the spring and summer. I asked Doug Martin about him in September and he started with "Christian in a good kid....." and went into how they are working on mechanics and footwork with him. It was not a ringing endorsement to be honest.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Shaddix on Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:58 pm

Apparently Raphael Webb is one of the most underrated runners in this class
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:34 pm

I agree with HJS on Suntrip, in this years spring scrimmage he was behind Bordner, Shinskie and Mars. Unless some magical transformation occurs or has occurred since then, he's an emergency QB at best. Right now the top 3 QBs for next year are Rettig, Bordner and Lowrie/Boyle. Suntrip is 5th, maybe 4th at best heading into 2013(the year of hope).
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby sonof81 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:39 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

I don't think this is a secret. The kid has been behind Shinskie and Bordner and Marsco for a reason. He barely played in the Spring Game, he doesn't see reps in practice and NO ONE has ever talked about him being the answer since he arrived on campus. Nonetheless, when the question was poised to Eric Hoffses on EA, his response: I have barely seen him play, which is saying a lot since I go to every scrimmage in the spring and summer. I asked Doug Martin about him in September and he started with "Christian in a good kid....." and went into how they are working on mechanics and footwork with him. It was not a ringing endorsement to be honest.

Let me play devil's advocate here. First of all, I know as much about Suntrup as you do. I'm not saying he is the answer. Simply, he could be an answer.

His being the 4th/5th QB this year could have something to do with the fact that the starter is a 3 yr starter and all the backups have playing experience and are ahead of him in seniority. He has 3 years of eligibility remaining, one of which has Rettig still in front of him. If he is an option, I assume he would move up the depth chart this year (and depending on Daz's theory on this) may see some playing time in lower level games or even a series here or there like we did in the TOB era or with Bordner last year. If he remains buried on the depth chart and is passed by any of the 2 (or 3) QBs that might be coming in, that tells us a lot too. However, I certainly am not going to take the fact that he had few reps or was behind a bunch of upperclassmen with playing experience on the QB depth chart or no one has talked about him to assume he has no shot to be the starter when Rettig graduates.

On top of that, I don't really trust the previous staff's ability to judge talent.
Last edited by sonof81 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonof81
n00b

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:40 pm

I dont have a problem taking flyers on under recruited RB as it is a position that many can be successful at. I appreciate the fact that he has targeted a few RB this early in his tenure (even tho Daniles and Willis are already on board), but I think the limited # of scholarships left should be used on the secondary (specifically corner), DL (maybe 1 or 2 more depending on how current commits project (didnt one project as a possible TE?)) and OL (need 1 in this class).
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:51 pm

BCs return game is so pathetic that I don't mind bringing in a Darren Sproles type to try to rectify the situation.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:21 pm

Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:BCs return game is so pathetic that I don't mind bringing in a Darren Sproles type to try to rectify the situation.

I remember when they were called David Meggett types.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:25 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
Oliver Closeoff {l Wrote}:BCs return game is so pathetic that I don't mind bringing in a Darren Sproles type to try to rectify the situation.

I remember when they were called David Meggett types.

Evans was great on PR. It's not like we had Chris Fox 2.0 back there
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby commavegarage on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:

i dont really see how you can say spaz is clueless for starting clancy over devito but spaz knows what he's doing for keeping suntrup so low on the depth chart.

which isn't to say suntrip is good or isn't. but is to say i wouldnt put too much stuck in where spaz had him on the depth chart. he was and is mind-boggingly stupid.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:46 pm

It's not just the depth chart... it is the lack of any PT... the constant chatter about him having zero arm strength (something that was evident at the Spring Game)... and that Doug Martin was down on the kid (not just Spaz). It should be noted that as many reports there are about him being not-ACC-caliber, there are at least as many reports about him being a super kid who is the coaches and players think very highly of as a person.

I guess, if you are going to doubt the rumors of one, you should doubt both.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:18 am

HJS {l Wrote}:It's not just the depth chart... it is the lack of any PT... the constant chatter about him having zero arm strength (something that was evident at the Spring Game)... and that Doug Martin was down on the kid (not just Spaz). It should be noted that as many reports there are about him being not-ACC-caliber, there are at least as many reports about him being a super kid who is the coaches and players think very highly of as a person.

He threw what 2 passes at the spring game?

Thinking about it, wouldn't be surprised if we move on from Shinskie. It's clear Addazio is aggresively recruiting and according some of the weird0s above, scholarships are a little tight. Granted, we'll probably have some attrition which will come after exams.

2013:
Rettig -SR
Tebow -JR
Suntrup -SO
2/3 FR

Don't believe Cranmore, Lommen are scholarship?
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:36 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:It's not just the depth chart... it is the lack of any PT... the constant chatter about him having zero arm strength (something that was evident at the Spring Game)... and that Doug Martin was down on the kid (not just Spaz). It should be noted that as many reports there are about him being not-ACC-caliber, there are at least as many reports about him being a super kid who is the coaches and players think very highly of as a person.

Thinking about it, wouldn't be surprised if we move on from Shinskie. It's clear Addazio is aggresively recruiting and according some of the weird0s above, scholarships are a little tight. Granted, we'll probably have some attrition which will come after exams.

2013:
Rettig -SR
Tebow -JR
Suntrup -SO
2/3 FR

What I want to know is whether I too have the power to say something a bunch of times and then declare there is constant chatter about whatever I have been talking about.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:01 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

2013:
Rettig -SR
Tebow -JR
Suntrup -SO
2/3 FR

What I want to know is whether I too have the power to say something a bunch of times and then declare there is constant chatter about whatever I have been talking about.

:whammy
NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby NotoriousOrange on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:27 am

NotoriousOrange
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:48 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:

2013:
Rettig -SR
Tebow -JR
Suntrup -SO
2/3 FR

You are now I'm both Doug Martin and Eric Hoffses??? When it is all said and done... you are truly as pollyanna as any of the merrymen.
HJS
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium