Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Mod34b {l Wrote}:Sure an OC or DC can be a prime candidate for HC and many become great coaches. But in your list, if I am not mistaken, the only one who was a NFL assistant before taking a BCS HC job was Les Miles (2 years with Dallas). And Miles was already an established coach on the college level before his brief stint with Dallas. Peterson, Patterson and one more (forgetting) were internal team promotions.

Roman is different from everybody on your list because he has no NCAA football chops. I am sure he can coach up an offense, but can he recruit? Does he have a network of relevant recruiting contacts? Can he attract, select and effectively manage assistants? I don't think he's done so before.

Roman could be awesome. He could also be a flop. Hard to say.

Once again, this is just stupid. You can play the name game forever... who would you rather have a "never been head coach current position coach in the NFL" or a "45-year old wildly successful head coach who compiled a 40-11 record in 1AA before going 53-11 in 5 seasons in the WAC"???
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby tailgater94 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:17 pm

tailgater94 {l Wrote}:If Carmichael weren't a BC grad he wouldn't be on the radar at all... I think he needs to accomplish something beyond riding Peyton / Brees' coattails to a ring before he merits consideration for a HC job.

In his latest MMQB article, Peter King listed 10 NFL coordinators that would get consideration for NFL HC jobs, and PC was not on that list. He isn't on anyone's list anywhere except his alma mater.

My last point on Carmichael is that the offense he coaches is highly dependent on a QB performing at an extremely high level, with insane accuracy. That just isn't what you get at the college level. Reminds me of what ND got with Charlie Weis, who was fortunate in CW's first year that brady quinn was pretty accurate and had NFL talent at WR. After that he was a disaster. BC doesn't have that type of talent.

I think PC is way too unproven at this point in his career.
tailgater94
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:28 pm

hansen {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I'm happy about that if it holds. Colorado, however, is still a risk to take Roman. I believe they were also considering DeRuyter. I have a feeling that BC will be the last of current vacancies to make their hire. I just hope that we are able to hire someone before then next wave of coaching searches start up (San Jose will have to replace DeRuyter and so will any head coach that gets plucked by NCS, Colo, Tenn, Ark and Auburn).

If you don't mind me asking (and I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere) why are you so high on Roman? He has never been a HC (always a #2) and 15 of his 17 years coaching are in the NFL? His 2 years at Stanford were with an incredible team already recruited/groomed/coached by others. What suggests Roman can a) recruit and b) deal with/Coach 18-22 year old college kids as a HC and c) select/hire/manage/fire the right assistants. Does not seem -- on the surface -- like the right choice for BC

Is there something more than getting a sliver of Jim Harbaugh's reflected glory and/or the publicity bump the hire might bring?

Read the article that HJS linked a page or so back on this thread. It might change your mind.

Thanks. I assume you meant this one: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20 ... ?p=1&tc=pg

Impressive career and evident passion for football. 5-8 255 lbs -- i am laughing trying to imagine that?? Also seems to pass the character test with flying colors.

Might be a good choice, but I am leary of #2s becoming #1s -- as we know sometimes the weight of responsibility can be crushing. I'd prefer someone already successful as a HC in FBS or even FCS.

mike leach, chris petersen, gary patterson, charlie strong, les miles, mike gundy, bob stoops are counterexamples.

It's somewhat silly, really. Every great coach was never a head coach before he got his first job. You also can point out as many head coaches who sucked at a higher level as you can assistants who failed as head coaches.

Here's the thing half names prominently mentioned would be meh at best. Some would be all time greats. Which is which... I don't know. But, I think you can find that out through the interview process. For BC, I think it is critical to get someone who (a) is a very hard worker and (b) can recruit. I don't think the coach's current title should be a determining factor.

BTW... I will point out that while Spaz was a career assistant who got his first head coaching job at BC, it is important to note that he was TWENTY EFFING YEARS OLDER than all the similarly situated candidates that we are looking at. I'd also point out that before Spazoo, we hired Coughlin, Henning, TOB and Jags. 3 of them were first time head coaches. The only one with head coaching experience (which included TWO stints as an NFL head coach) turned out to be the worst... by far.

Thanks for the reply. Roman might be good, but he is a much riskier choice then others because he does not have solid FBS experience. He could be "so BC" - a semi diamond in the rough who loves to overcome low expectations. A passionate hard worker.

Being a hard worker can be great, but is he working too hard? Other coaches call him "grinder." - a back-handed compliment for sure. Is he a grinder who as risen to his pre-Peter-Principle Level?

Who knows. In Bates We Must Trust for sorting through all the intangibles

Considering the state of the program left by Spaziani, I think roman is too risky. We need a guy with lots of college coaching and recruiting experience. Hiring an nfl guy could turn into hennings 2.0. If that happened, who knows how long it could take to recover.

Outside of guys we aren't getting (Golden, O'Brien)... they are ALL risky picks. If you are hesitant about hiring an NFL assistant, then you are hesitant about hiring a college assistant (as neither have the experience of being the head man)... besides, Nards was almost fired a few years ago by Sparty and Diaco has a hot-cold personality. If you are focusing on head coaches only, have your eyes wide open as to what you are getting. For instance, names like McIntyre and Hazell could be complete flashes in the pan who we'd be hiring based upon 1 freaking season. Doeren and Campbell are very possibly coasting on the talent of their predecessor. Also, if you hire a head coach, you better be ready to be hiring their whole freaking staff. Just as we bemoan that no one on Don's staff coached any higher than the Ivies, we could be saying something similar about Doeren's or Hazell's future staff. BTW... the reason why I have always pimped Troy Calhoun is because I thought he was about the best safe hire we could realistically get.
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby apbc12 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:42 pm

Mod34b {l Wrote}:

Roman could be awesome. He could also be a flop.

This is true of literally every single possible football coach, realistic or otherwise.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:51 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

This is true of literally every single possible football coach, realistic or otherwise.

to varying degrees, of course
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby joesim on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:11 am

Found it interesting that Diaco's main recruiting targets over the last 3 years have been NY,NJ, and Mass. kids. He even recruited Montelus to Notre Dame
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby whalepants on Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:40 am

I still say you should keep your eyes on Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee.
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:31 am

DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby apbc12 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:59 am

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:How about Blake Anderson: http://www.goheels.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... EASON=2012

The guy from Workaholics? I don't see it. He's funny but I don't think he has much experience.
apbc12
Higgins Hall

Postby hansen on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:19 am

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

i think there is only one solution to the problem:

HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:31 am

Get the best recruiter/salesman you can... Thats the hardest part of building a program, its all about getting talent.

We need a snakeoil salesman.
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:34 am

Doug Flutie's available, right?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:34 am

hansen {l Wrote}:i think there is only one solution to the problem:

i think you're forgetting about

[img] buffalobill.jpg [/ img]
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:49 am

The Knife of Asia {l Wrote}:Get the best recruiter/salesman you can... Thats the hardest part of building a program, its all about getting talent.

Ed Orgeron says hello.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Mod34b on Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:57 am

Getting a DC/OC from the SEC could have promise. Bob Stoops was such a character, and it worked out beautifully for Oklahoma. But consider also the case of Ellis Johnson, the former DC for SEC power South Carolina. He was just hired last year to head the promising Southern Miss, team. Here is his bio and touts:

Ellis Johnson, long hailed as one of the country's top defensive strategists, begins his first season as the head coach of the Golden Eagles.

Johnson becomes the Golden Eagles' 19th head coach after spending the previous four seasons at the University of South Carolina where he served as the Gamecocks' defensive coordinator. He also held the title of assistant head coach.

"Southern Miss is special," said Johnson during a packed news conference to announce his hiring on Tuesday, Dec. 20, 2011. "From the time I worked here it has held a special place in my heart. It's a place where I am convinced you can always be successful."

Johnson is no stranger to Hattiesburg or Southern Miss football, having served as defensive coordinator on Curley Hallman's staff for two seasons (1988-89). His 39-year coaching career also includes stints as defensive coordinator at Mississippi State, Alabama, Clemson and Appalachian State. The Winnsboro, S.C., native also has previous experience as a head coach at Gardner Webb (1983) and The Citadel (2001-03).

In addition to his defensive coordinator role at South Carolina, Johnson also served as linebackers coach. In his final season with the Gamecocks, his defense ranked third nationally, allowing just 268 yards per game.

In Johnson's four years as director of the South Carolina defense, the Gamecocks finished in the Top 15 nationally in total defense three times. In addition to the 2011 mark of No. 4 overall, the USC defense ranked No. 13 in scoring defense (18.8 points per game) and second in pass defense (133 yards per game).

A 1975 graduate of The Citadel, Johnson played defensive end for the Bulldogs. He is married to the former Caroline Courie, a Columbia, S.C. native. They have two sons, Eli and Charlie, and a daughter, Sandra Elliott.

What Others are Saying...
Brett Favre
"Ellis is a great coach with a winning resumé who knows Golden Eagle football and its fan base. I'm confident Coach Johnson will do a great job."

Steve Spurrier
"We're excited for Ellis. Anytime you lose a coach you're not happy for yourself, but you're happy for the coach. We're happy for Ellis and Caroline. This is a great opportunity. Southern Miss is a place with wonderful tradition. Ellis is not only a great coach; he was also one of our best recruiters. He took the lead on the number one prospect in the country, Jadevon Clowney, last year. He was the lead man and we got it done."

Sylvester Croom
"Ellis Johnson is one of the best defensive minds I have encountered in my career. He is a leader who is passionate about the game and his players. Southern Miss is fortunate to have him as their head football coach."

Result: He went 0-12 in 2012 and was fired.

Goes to show, you never really can know who will be good and who won't.
Mod34b

Postby Endless Mike on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:17 pm

apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

ConcernedEagleModCC just wants attention.
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Mod34b on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:47 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:
apbc12 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

ConcernedEagleModCC just wants attention.

Mike, this "Concerend Eagle" biz is just Endless I guess.
Mod34b

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:58 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:I'm happy about that if it holds. Colorado, however, is still a risk to take Roman. I believe they were also considering DeRuyter. I have a feeling that BC will be the last of current vacancies to make their hire. I just hope that we are able to hire someone before then next wave of coaching searches start up (San Jose will have to replace DeRuyter and so will any head coach that gets plucked by NCS, Colo, Tenn, Ark and Auburn).

If you don't mind me asking (and I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere) why are you so high on Roman? He has never been a HC (always a #2) and 15 of his 17 years coaching are in the NFL? His 2 years at Stanford were with an incredible team already recruited/groomed/coached by others. What suggests Roman can a) recruit and b) deal with/Coach 18-22 year old college kids as a HC and c) select/hire/manage/fire the right assistants. Does not seem -- on the surface -- like the right choice for BC

Is there something more than getting a sliver of Jim Harbaugh's reflected glory and/or the publicity bump the hire might bring?

Read the article that HJS linked a page or so back on this thread. It might change your mind.

Thanks. I assume you meant this one: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20 ... ?p=1&tc=pg

Impressive career and evident passion for football. 5-8 255 lbs -- i am laughing trying to imagine that?? Also seems to pass the character test with flying colors.

Might be a good choice, but I am leary of #2s becoming #1s -- as we know sometimes the weight of responsibility can be crushing. I'd prefer someone already successful as a HC in FBS or even FCS.

mike leach, chris petersen, gary patterson, charlie strong, les miles, mike gundy, bob stoops are counterexamples.

It's somewhat silly, really. Every great coach was never a head coach before he got his first job. You also can point out as many head coaches who sucked at a higher level as you can assistants who failed as head coaches.

Here's the thing half names prominently mentioned would be meh at best. Some would be all time greats. Which is which... I don't know. But, I think you can find that out through the interview process. For BC, I think it is critical to get someone who (a) is a very hard worker and (b) can recruit. I don't think the coach's current title should be a determining factor.

BTW... I will point out that while Spaz was a career assistant who got his first head coaching job at BC, it is important to note that he was TWENTY EFFING YEARS OLDER than all the similarly situated candidates that we are looking at. I'd also point out that before Spazoo, we hired Coughlin, Henning, TOB and Jags. 3 of them were first time head coaches. The only one with head coaching experience (which included TWO stints as an NFL head coach) turned out to be the worst... by far.

Thanks for the reply. Roman might be good, but he is a much riskier choice then others because he does not have solid FBS experience. He could be "so BC" - a semi diamond in the rough who loves to overcome low expectations. A passionate hard worker.

Being a hard worker can be great, but is he working too hard? Other coaches call him "grinder." - a back-handed compliment for sure. Is he a grinder who as risen to his pre-Peter-Principle Level?

Considering the state of the program left by Spaziani, I think roman is too risky. We need a guy with lots of college coaching and recruiting experience. Hiring an nfl guy could turn into hennings 2.0. If that happened, who knows how long it could take to recover.

Outside of guys we aren't getting (Golden, O'Brien)... they are ALL risky picks. If you are hesitant about hiring an NFL assistant, then you are hesitant about hiring a college assistant (as neither have the experience of being the head man)... besides, Nards was almost fired a few years ago by Sparty and Diaco has a hot-cold personality. If you are focusing on head coaches only, have your eyes wide open as to what you are getting. For instance, names like McIntyre and Hazell could be complete flashes in the pan who we'd be hiring based upon 1 freaking season. Doeren and Campbell are very possibly coasting on the talent of their predecessor. Also, if you hire a head coach, you better be ready to be hiring their whole freaking staff. Just as we bemoan that no one on Don's staff coached any higher than the Ivies, we could be saying something similar about Doeren's or Hazell's future staff. BTW... the reason why I have always pimped Troy Calhoun is because I thought he was about the best safe hire we could realistically get.

This. Outside of someone totally unrealistic, there is going to be a certain amount of risk with everyone (even with Diereen and Hazell). The assistant route is difficult because none of us have any idea how the particular coach is in re: to organization and managing a staff. Obviously coaches who serve under successful HC's presumably are molded by said HC and will hopefully be able to transfer those intangible skills to a new organization. At the NFL, all we can really see are the success of the units these coaches run (Carmichael and Roman have obv had success). We get a bit more exposure at the college level because we have access to recruiting information which is arguably the most important aspect of college coaching (Diaco who has had a great deal of success recruiting in traditionally strong areas for BC).

I was high on Carmichael originally and still think he would be solid, but the more this process goes on, I am leaning more in the Diaco/Roman side. Gun to my head, I'd go Roman because of his ties to Harbaugh. There has been a great deal of success already with the Harbaugh tree (see Taggart and Shaw) and Roman has proven to be a versatile and successful offensive mind at both the college and NFL level (not to mention the type of offense he runs is very conducive to the kid that historically goes to BC, good OL and TE). Even with al that being said, there is a tremendous amount if risk in the fact that he hasn't recruited all that much.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:11 pm

I would feel pretty good about either a Diaco or Roman hire, and of course I am on board the Golden train. Not a huge fan of BOB, frankly, although I am sure he would do fine. But he ain't coming.

The more I think about Roman, the more I like it. Lots of multiple TE sets, but yet a dynamic offense that's not solely about ground and pound. Pretty sure a guy like him could go into the living room of most top OL and TE and sell the idea that he could teach them what they need to make the NFL.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:19 pm

DavidGordonsFoot {l Wrote}:
The Knife of Asia {l Wrote}:Get the best recruiter/salesman you can... Thats the hardest part of building a program, its all about getting talent.

Ed Orgeron says hello.

This works if you are a Clemson, UGA or Texas, but at BC we will need someone that can coach too.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby Mod34b on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:25 pm

BCSUPERFAN22 {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

This. Outside of someone totally unrealistic, there is going to be a certain amount of risk with everyone (even with Diereen and Hazell). The assistant route is difficult because none of us have any idea how the particular coach is in re: to organization and managing a staff. Obviously coaches who serve under successful HC's presumably are molded by said HC and will hopefully be able to transfer those intangible skills to a new organization. At the NFL, all we can really see are the success of the units these coaches run (Carmichael and Roman have obv had success). We get a bit more exposure at the college level because we have access to recruiting information which is arguably the most important aspect of college coaching (Diaco who has had a great deal of success recruiting in traditionally strong areas for BC).

I was high on Carmichael originally and still think he would be solid, but the more this process goes on, I am leaning more in the Diaco/Roman side. Gun to my head, I'd go Roman because of his ties to Harbaugh. There has been a great deal of success already with the Harbaugh tree (see Taggart and Shaw) and Roman has proven to be a versatile and successful offensive mind at both the college and NFL level (not to mention the type of offense he runs is very conducive to the kid that historically goes to BC, good OL and TE). Even with al that being said, there is a tremendous amount if risk in the fact that he hasn't recruited all that much.

Ask yourself this: Do BCS AQ schools usually go for battled-tested successful HCs or successful and promising OC/DC types (or any NFL OC with no FBS experince of note)?

ND? proven winner HC
UMiami ? - proven winner HC

In 2012, the following BCS AQ schools hired new head coaches.

UNC, AZ, ASu, tOSU, UCLA, TAMU, Wazzu, ILL, KS, MIss, PSU, Pitt, RU.

Who did they pick? Well the first ten listed picked a proven college HC to lead the charge. The last 3 took promising assistants.

BC should aim higher than a promising assistant, especially given what Spaz hath wrought.
Last edited by Mod34b on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mod34b

Postby TobaccoRoadEagle on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:26 pm

i'd just like to note that it is really annoying to click on the "first new thread" orange box and have it deliver me 4 pages back from the most recent post.

how long has that shit been going on and how do we fix it? sounds like the golden showers have been blowing off their responsibilities to count all their google money again.
now in the street there is violence
and, and a lots of work to be done
no place to hang out our washing
and, and i can't blame all on the sun
good god we gonna rock down to electric avenue
and then we'll take it higher
TobaccoRoadEagle
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:31 pm

TobaccoRoadEagle {l Wrote}:i'd just like to note that it is really annoying to click on the "first new thread" orange box and have it deliver me 4 pages back from the most recent post.

how long has that shit been going on and how do we fix it? sounds like the golden showers have been blowing off their responsibilities to count all their google money again.

thought it was just me

maybe some n00b went and deleted all his posts causing the confusion :shrug
Last edited by claver2010 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCWest on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:36 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:

Fresno State isn't competition for us, nor is SJSU/NIU/Kent State/any other mid-major school whose coach might get hired by another BCS program before we fill our vacancy. If Golden goes to Tennessee then Miami would potentially be in the market for the same type of guys as us (same deal if someone can get Franklin from Vandy), but otherwise this isn't a worry.

Cincy will be competing with us. Louisville too (if Auburn or NCS or Tenn grab Strong). A trickle-down always results when these big programs poach another head coach.

BC will not be competing with Cincy. CIncy's future as a member of the little 5 as opposed to the BIg 5 is going to make it hard for them.
Last edited by BCWest on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCWest on Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:48 pm

Mod34b {l Wrote}:BC should aim higher than a promising assistant, especially given what Spaz hath wrought.

Agreed. BC should prefer a guy who has HC experience and done well. But what you don't want is BC to dip down in the quality of guys who happen to be HCs and pass on assistant that is more promising.

Take Doeren. It is very good that he has HC experience. But you also have to weigh the fact he inherited a good program. Kill had already turned it around and won 11 games the year before Doeren took over. So Bates has to weigh that in his thinking. Has Doeren advanced the program? He is winning wiht the other guys players. Can Doeren recruit? So you have to research his time at KU recruiting. Hazell took over a program that was losing. In 2 years has it humming. But you don't know if he can recruit. So you have to get into his days at Ohio State, WV, Rutgers to find out more. You know Diaco can recruit like crazy. YOu know he is respected across the board for his defensive coaching. But you don't know about his ability to make HC level decisions.

The point being, a guy with HC experience is preferable. But only so long as you don't pass on a candidate that is actually better and you are passing him just because he has not had that key responsibility.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:26 pm

Hoff at TOS said interviews should start today and go through the weekend.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:42 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:BC should aim higher than a promising assistant, especially given what Spaz hath wrought.

Agreed. BC should prefer a guy who has HC experience and done well. But what you don't want is BC to dip down in the quality of guys who happen to be HCs and pass on assistant that is more promising.

Take Doeren. It is very good that he has HC experience. But you also have to weigh the fact he inherited a good program. Kill had already turned it around and won 11 games the year before Doeren took over. So Bates has to weigh that in his thinking. Has Doeren advanced the program? He is winning wiht the other guys players. Can Doeren recruit? So you have to research his time at KU recruiting. Hazell took over a program that was losing. In 2 years has it humming. But you don't know if he can recruit. So you have to get into his days at Ohio State, WV, Rutgers to find out more. You know Diaco can recruit like crazy. YOu know he is respected across the board for his defensive coaching. But you don't know about his ability to make HC level decisions.

The point being, a guy with HC experience is preferable. But only so long as you don't pass on a candidate that is actually better and you are passing him just because he has not had that key responsibility.

I think this is a very interesting point. I was listening to something on the radio that was questioning the success that Rex Ryan had in his first 2 seasons in NY and how that is most likely a result of the framework that Mangini laid, as the NYJ are now a laughing stock. Much like :spaz2 who had a moderate level of success (at least bowl berths) in his first 2 years before the wheels fell off and the true effect of his shittiness showed. I havent gone back and done any real research in regards to new coaches taking over programs and the success/failure after how many years, but it is an interesting theory in re: to hiring guys with short term HC success.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCWest on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:51 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Hoff at TOS said interviews should start today and go through the weekend.

They do start today, but could go well through the weekend.
BCWest
McGuinn Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:57 pm

BCWest {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Hoff at TOS said interviews should start today and go through the weekend.

They do start today, but could go well through the weekend.

please mean past the weekend (although a three day search would be better than our last go around).
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby NJborn on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:58 pm

You should hire Romo, he will whip those guys into shape.
There is a reason we bleed red, go RU.
NJborn
n00b

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium