BC @ PSU game thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: BC @ PSU game thread

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:32 pm

I will take it, but this team still isn't playing well. They need to regroup.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby EagleDave on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:34 pm

The 'ol Al Skinner special tonight. It was a nice stroll down memory lane...let's not do it again.
Is this the 5 o'clock free crack giveaway?
EagleDave
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Hanlan deserves a medal. If he wasn't in, BC would've lost.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 pm

ESPN Stats & Info ‏@ESPNStatsInfo
Boston College: 6-1 all-time in ACC/Big Ten challenge with win over Penn State. Also picks up 1st reg. season road win since March 1, 2011

Wow
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:53 pm

EagleDave {l Wrote}:The 'ol Al Skinner special tonight. It was a nice stroll down memory lane...let's not do it again.

Exactly what I was thinking.

This team needs to figure things out quick.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby Mike_S on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:34 am

First game I've seen this year, so take it with a grain of salt, but I'm a lot more optimistic than many of you guys. Hanlon and Rahon both look good already, and Anderson and Clifford will make a bigger difference when they're at 100%.

What is the injury status/outlook on Clifford ? What about Anderson ? Is Caudill injured too, and if not, why isn't he seeing some more time ?
Mike_S
Carney Hall

Postby Ahzeem on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:12 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:this hanlan kid is the only one that makes me say, wow, that kid should definitely be playing in the acc. again, not a good sample size (first game ive seen this year), but when only one player stands out against an awful opponent and we just lost to bryant, im not exactly optimistic.

Rahon is probably legit and Anderson was very good last year, I think he's just hurt. Everyone else is a big question mark.

that is the definitely a flagrant

Nah

But the refs are about as bad as it gets above the CYO level.

it may not have been an intentional elbow to the face, but it was pretty hard and he made no attempt not to come down with the 'bow.

He had a legit shot at the ball and while he may have been able to stop a bit shorter on the follow through, I didn't blame him for not doing so. Looked aggressive but not flagrant.

Hanlon and Rahon will do great both are strong players...Hanlon :slapfight needs to learn to look to the post on the pic and roll.

I'm still looking for him to start making that pass to Anderson on the Roll how many times was that kid open under the basket and they didn't pass to him. :81 They have to get him more touches, at least learn to find him on the break... I don't think I've seen him make that pass...? :bag
Ahzeem
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 am

Mike_S {l Wrote}:First game I've seen this year, so take it with a grain of salt, but I'm a lot more optimistic than many of you guys. Hanlon and Rahon both look good already, and Anderson and Clifford will make a bigger difference when they're at 100%.

What is the injury status/outlook on Clifford ? What about Anderson ? Is Caudill injured too, and if not, why isn't he seeing some more time ?

Still don't understand why they are both playing if they have nagging injuries. Let them sit and heal before conference games start.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 am

Ahzeem {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
commavegarage {l Wrote}:this hanlan kid is the only one that makes me say, wow, that kid should definitely be playing in the acc. again, not a good sample size (first game ive seen this year), but when only one player stands out against an awful opponent and we just lost to bryant, im not exactly optimistic.

Rahon is probably legit and Anderson was very good last year, I think he's just hurt. Everyone else is a big question mark.

that is the definitely a flagrant

Nah

But the refs are about as bad as it gets above the CYO level.

it may not have been an intentional elbow to the face, but it was pretty hard and he made no attempt not to come down with the 'bow.

He had a legit shot at the ball and while he may have been able to stop a bit shorter on the follow through, I didn't blame him for not doing so. Looked aggressive but not flagrant.

Hanlon and Rahon will do great both are strong players...Hanlon :slapfight needs to learn to look to the post on the pic and roll.

I'm still looking for him to start making that pass to Anderson on the Roll how many times was that kid open under the basket and they didn't pass to him. :81 They have to get him more touches, at least learn to find him on the break... I don't think I've seen him make that pass...? :bag

I don't think Anderson's ankle was allowing him to do to much in the second half.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:00 am

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
Mike_S {l Wrote}:First game I've seen this year, so take it with a grain of salt, but I'm a lot more optimistic than many of you guys. Hanlon and Rahon both look good already, and Anderson and Clifford will make a bigger difference when they're at 100%.

Still don't understand why they are both playing if they have nagging injuries. Let them sit and heal before conference games start.

There are injuries that don't heal any faster with rest, I have no idea if this is them or not. I do think there is a legitimate concern that if they sit Anderson and Clifford for this stretch of on paper easy games it will result in some ugly losses which will really hurt development. I don't know if that is the right way to approach it or not. I also have no idea what the injuries are, it seems though like Anderson just has a run of the mill sprained ankle, which should probably just go away soon. Clifford's scares me.

Caudill I don't believe is injured in less poor conditioning is an injury.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:04 am

Agree, Anderson's ankle is clearly still bothering him (0 points in the 2nd half).

I will say once he's healthy I really like the idea of that small lineup. Van Nest has been a pleasant surprise.

Like 9903, I'm not ready to give up on Jackson and think he's going to get closer to his % last year. Reality is unless he's making his shots he doesn't provide much value out there but we're so thin ACC talent-wise, Donahue has to let him shoot his way out of it.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:15 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Agree, Anderson's ankle is clearly still bothering him (0 points in the 2nd half).

I will say once he's healthy I really like the idea of that small lineup. Van Nest has been a pleasant surprise.

Like 9903, I'm not ready to give up on Jackson and think he's going to get closer to his % last year. Reality is unless he's making his shots he doesn't provide much value out there but we're so thin ACC talent-wise, Donahue has to let him shoot his way out of it.

You are dead on w/ Jackson. If he is what he looked like last year(or over the summer in Europe - he score 20 more than once), a very strong shooter with a little bit of handle (he is too small/weak to get to the hoop with any consistency but he is not Tyler Roche whoever said that elsewhere), then he shouldn't be given up on. That's a good piece to a team. But if essentially a pure shooter isn't hitting shots then he is absolutely a liability. He had a decent game against PSU, I hope it means he's getting his shot back. The reality is that it's hard to trust anyone else on the lineup with his minutes (Heckmann has been better, but was brutal in the press break in the last ten minutes) , maybe Daniels would have been a good option to take them when he was struggling.

To Teddy: While I'm talking about Daniels, he would have made a big difference in preventing the near comeback yesterday. In fact, he would definitely make this year go a lot smoother.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby gaelfu on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:15 am

I did not say LJ was like Roche. What I said is that on a good ACC team he plays a role similar to what Roche played on the last BC tourney team. As in 15-20 mpg as a shooter.
tobaccoroadeagle is a giant flaming tool, Fight the good fight 74!
gaelfu
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:30 am

gaelfu {l Wrote}:I did not say LJ was like Roche. What I said is that on a good ACC team he plays a role similar to what Roche played on the last BC tourney team. As in 15-20 mpg as a shooter.

Gotcha. I still disagree because I think he has a higher upside especially if he actually got stronger at some point, but I admit I misunderstood your first comment.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:50 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Agree, Anderson's ankle is clearly still bothering him (0 points in the 2nd half).

Anderson made that dunk 6 minutes into the game and he looked like his old self, but like you said, he eventually faded. I'm not a doctor or trainer, but I would think that means he needs to strengthen his ankle back to where it was and needs to keep playing.

Clifford's injury does not look like something he can or should play through. I hope he doesn't dress for Harvard. I'm sure Van Nest would gladly start in his place for that game. I get the Oates comparisons, but I think he plays with more intensity than Oates did.

I thought Jackson made enough plays last night to compensate for his mistakes. His drive to the basket in the second half was a big play.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:14 am

I miss Jordan Daniels. He could have really helped this team. Olivier Hanlan has proven to be really good and I understand why he would start over Daniels. That being said Daniels had better ballhandling and an ability to break the press which would have really helped us when PSU started playing full court. Also, Daniels had a really good passing and ability to find the open man. There were a few times the ball should have gone down low to the bigs and it was either poorly passed or not passed at all.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:55 am

MattTheEagle {l Wrote}:I miss Jordan Daniels. He could have really helped this team. Olivier Hanlan has proven to be really good and I understand why he would start over Daniels. That being said Daniels had better ballhandling and an ability to break the press which would have really helped us when PSU started playing full court. Also, Daniels had a really good passing and ability to find the open man. There were a few times the ball should have gone down low to the bigs and it was either poorly passed or not passed at all.

Welcome aboard!
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Previous

Return to Conte Forum