Coaching Candidates

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Coaching Candidates

Postby Walsh601 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:55 pm

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:So who is the 3rd?

You can read all about it for just $9.99 a month!
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby Shaddix on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:18 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}:Boston College ‏@BCEagles247
Another #BCEagles coaching target mentioned by name by two different recruits - PSU's Bill O'Brien.

Are you saying that these are legitimately two targets?
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby Byrdcall J on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:22 pm

JesuitIvy {l Wrote}: Half measures.

No more half measures, Walter.
Byrdcall J
Carney Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:26 pm

I call BS on the Golden/BOB info from that site. The current staff is likely throwing out some names from random news pieces, including HomoJS's stolen Blauds lists.

Considering it's likely that every member of the current staff will not be employed by Bates/BC once their contracts are up, I don't see how they'd somehow be "in the know" about legitimate coaching targets. Not to say they wouldn't hear about candidates coming in for interviews, but I just don't think they have goood info at this point. They only thing these guys have going for them is to continue working hard in the hopes that they are able to stay with BC or look good in the eyes of other potential landing places - and that includes saying they were able to retain BC's recruits during the firing/hiring process.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby JesuitIvy on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:26 pm

BCEagles 247 says Golden and O'Brien have been told to recruits.
Either one would get me to pony up for season fix and parking.
Realigning
JesuitIvy
Campion Hall

Postby commavegarage on Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:45 pm

should i know who 247 is and/or give a shit about what he says?
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby thebs19 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:32 pm

Aaron Kromer will be interviewing in the coming days, per PFT.

Says he's being mentioned in connection with many likely NFL openings so he'll have a decision to make if he is offered.

I know when he was named interim to the interim there were stories about his being viewed as a "rising star" despite being fairly anonymous prior to that, and supposedly he was the Rams' backup plan if Fisher spurned them.
thebs19
Carney Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:11 am

BC going to interview the entire Saints staff?!?!? Note: He's a Miami (Ohio) alum
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:12 am

Does Kromer need permission from his boss (PCJ) to have the time off to interview?
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:07 am

Walsh601 {l Wrote}:We can't win a bidding war against Tenn, so I hope his wife prefers Boston.

Short Italians disagree.
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby Bryn Mawr Eagle on Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:46 pm

The new coach should put Gabe Infante on staff as a position coach/assistant. He's going to be a great recruiter. He's got a future.
Bryn Mawr Eagle
Higgins Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:51 pm

BearTerritory {l Wrote}:Names most talked about at Cal

Peterson-pipe dream, probably-but he is a Northern California guy and a product of the UC system so not totally off the rails and his father still lives here.
Hue Jackson, whose candidacy seems to be mostly supported by Hue Jackson
McIntyre of San Jose State
Ron Rivera-Cal guy
Roman, although the knock here-interestingly-is that he is too cerebral a la Tedford ver 1.0 without the fire in the belly-see Jackson, Hue. Vic Fangio of the 49ers and Stanford also has his supporters.
Gary Anderson, though he's never been out of Utah.
Charlie Strong, he was actually a finalist when we hired Tedford along with Marvin Lewis but I think geography and an SEC job will lure him

The Cal internets are blowing up that they are hiring Fresno St.'s HC Tim DeRuyter
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:56 pm

b0mberMan {l Wrote}:
BearTerritory {l Wrote}:Names most talked about at Cal

Peterson-pipe dream, probably-but he is a Northern California guy and a product of the UC system so not totally off the rails and his father still lives here.
Hue Jackson, whose candidacy seems to be mostly supported by Hue Jackson
McIntyre of San Jose State
Ron Rivera-Cal guy
Roman, although the knock here-interestingly-is that he is too cerebral a la Tedford ver 1.0 without the fire in the belly-see Jackson, Hue. Vic Fangio of the 49ers and Stanford also has his supporters.
Gary Anderson, though he's never been out of Utah.
Charlie Strong, he was actually a finalist when we hired Tedford along with Marvin Lewis but I think geography and an SEC job will lure him

The Cal internets are blowing up that they are hiring Fresno St.'s HC Tim DeRuyter

If true thats tremendous news in re: Roman to BC
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:13 pm

I'm happy about that if it holds. Colorado, however, is still a risk to take Roman. I believe they were also considering DeRuyter. I have a feeling that BC will be the last of current vacancies to make their hire. I just hope that we are able to hire someone before then next wave of coaching searches start up (San Jose will have to replace DeRuyter and so will any head coach that gets plucked by NCS, Colo, Tenn, Ark and Auburn).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:32 pm

I'm going to address the 800 lb gorilla in the room (ellipses)

http://bringjimtresseltobc.blogspot.com/ :chewbanka
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:59 pm

Endless Mike {l Wrote}:I'm going to address the 800 lb gorilla in the room (ellipses)

http://bringjimtresseltobc.blogspot.com/ :chewbanka

I wish. People complain about the run-centric, big o-line game but BC can win with that.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:03 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I'm happy about that if it holds. Colorado, however, is still a risk to take Roman. I believe they were also considering DeRuyter. I have a feeling that BC will be the last of current vacancies to make their hire. I just hope that we are able to hire someone before then next wave of coaching searches start up (San Jose will have to replace DeRuyter and so will any head coach that gets plucked by NCS, Colo, Tenn, Ark and Auburn).

Fresno State isn't competition for us, nor is SJSU/NIU/Kent State/any other mid-major school whose coach might get hired by another BCS program before we fill our vacancy. If Golden goes to Tennessee then Miami would potentially be in the market for the same type of guys as us (same deal if someone can get Franklin from Vandy), but otherwise this isn't a worry.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:45 pm

this would be fine with me:

Purdue has offered Butch Jones its head football coaching position
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby Mod34b on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:51 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:I'm happy about that if it holds. Colorado, however, is still a risk to take Roman. I believe they were also considering DeRuyter. I have a feeling that BC will be the last of current vacancies to make their hire. I just hope that we are able to hire someone before then next wave of coaching searches start up (San Jose will have to replace DeRuyter and so will any head coach that gets plucked by NCS, Colo, Tenn, Ark and Auburn).

If you don't mind me asking (and I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere) why are you so high on Roman? He has never been a HC (always a #2) and 15 of his 17 years coaching are in the NFL? His 2 years at Stanford were with an incredible team already recruited/groomed/coached by others. What suggests Roman can a) recruit and b) deal with/Coach 18-22 year old college kids as a HC and c) select/hire/manage/fire the right assistants. Does not seem -- on the surface -- like the right choice for BC

Is there something more than getting a sliver of Jim Harbaugh's reflected glory and/or the publicity bump the hire might bring?
Mod34b

Postby Cadillac90 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:53 pm

Mod34b {l Wrote}:

If you don't mind me asking (and I am sure this has been discussed elsewhere) why are you so high on Roman? He has never been a HC (always a #2) and 15 of his 17 years coaching are in the NFL? His 2 years at Stanford were with an incredible team already recruited/groomed/coached by others. What suggests Roman can a) recruit and b) deal with/Coach 18-22 year old college kids as a HC and c) select/hire/manage/fire the right assistants. Does not seem -- on the surface -- like the right choice for BC

Is there something more than getting a sliver of Jim Harbaugh's reflected glory and/or the publicity bump the hire might bring?

Read the article that HJS linked a page or so back on this thread. It might change your mind.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby Mod34b on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:21 pm

Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

Read the article that HJS linked a page or so back on this thread. It might change your mind.

Thanks. I assume you meant this one: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20 ... ?p=1&tc=pg

Impressive career and evident passion for football. 5-8 255 lbs -- i am laughing trying to imagine that?? Also seems to pass the character test with flying colors.

Might be a good choice, but I am leary of #2s becoming #1s -- as we know sometimes the weight of responsibility can be crushing. I'd prefer someone already successful as a HC in FBS or even FCS.
Mod34b

Postby eagle9903 on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:42 pm

Mod34b {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

Thanks. I assume you meant this one: http://www.pressdemocrat.com/article/20 ... ?p=1&tc=pg

Impressive career and evident passion for football. 5-8 255 lbs -- i am laughing trying to imagine that?? Also seems to pass the character test with flying colors.

Might be a good choice, but I am leary of #2s becoming #1s -- as we know sometimes the weight of responsibility can be crushing. I'd prefer someone already successful as a HC in FBS or even FCS.

mike leach, chris petersen, gary patterson, charlie strong, les miles, mike gundy, bob stoops are counterexamples.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby talon on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:11 pm

talon
Cushing Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:36 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:

Fresno State isn't competition for us, nor is SJSU/NIU/Kent State/any other mid-major school whose coach might get hired by another BCS program before we fill our vacancy. If Golden goes to Tennessee then Miami would potentially be in the market for the same type of guys as us (same deal if someone can get Franklin from Vandy), but otherwise this isn't a worry.

Cincy will be competing with us. Louisville too (if Auburn or NCS or Tenn grab Strong). A trickle-down always results when these big programs poach another head coach.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby HJS on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:58 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

mike leach, chris petersen, gary patterson, charlie strong, les miles, mike gundy, bob stoops are counterexamples.

It's somewhat silly, really. Every great coach was never a head coach before he got his first job. You also can point out as many head coaches who sucked at a higher level as you can assistants who failed as head coaches.

Here's the thing half names prominently mentioned would be meh at best. Some would be all time greats. Which is which... I don't know. But, I think you can find that out through the interview process. For BC, I think it is critical to get someone who (a) is a very hard worker and (b) can recruit. I don't think the coach's current title should be a determining factor.

BTW... I will point out that while Spaz was a career assistant who got his first head coaching job at BC, it is important to note that he was TWENTY EFFING YEARS OLDER than all the similarly situated candidates that we are looking at. I'd also point out that before Spazoo, we hired Coughlin, Henning, TOB and Jags. 3 of them were first time head coaches. The only one with head coaching experience (which included TWO stints as an NFL head coach) turned out to be the worst... by far.
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:03 pm

The Sonny Dykes tour continues out to California............

RT @KSLASports: 2 sources: Sonny Dykes is in California and could be working out a deal with Cal. Nothing finalized, could be in works.

UPDATE: False alarm
Patrick Walsh ‏ @ LATechPWalsh
@ KSLASports Not true. Coach Dykes is back in Ruston and addressed the team at a previously scheduled team meeting tonight.
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:47 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:

Cincy will be competing with us. Louisville too (if Auburn or NCS or Tenn grab Strong). A trickle-down always results when these big programs poach another head coach.

Yeah, wasn't thinking about Cincy/Louisville. Still, Kentucky has already filled their vacancy with a guy who wasn't really on BC's radar and won't have a trickle-down effect and if the rumors are correct then Cal appears ready to do the same.

Another thing to consider--when lower-tier programs lose their coach to a better program (or any school loses their coach to the NFL) because said coach was successful, they frequently try (with varying degrees of success) to keep the success going by elevating one of their existing coordinators. Seen it recently with Stanford, Boise State, Utah, West Virginia, Houston, etc., so just because Cincy and Louisville might lose their coach doesn't mean they'll necessarily look outside the program for a replacement. Or in Cincy's case they could just blindly hire whoever is coaching Central Michigan now, worked for them the last 2 times.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby Mod34b on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:48 pm

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

Sure an OC or DC can be a prime candidate for HC and many become great coaches. But in your list, if I am not mistaken, the only one who was a NFL assistant before taking a BCS HC job was Les Miles (2 years with Dallas). And Miles was already an established coach on the college level before his brief stint with Dallas. Peterson, Patterson and one more (forgetting) were internal team promotions.

Roman is different from everybody on your list because he has no NCAA football chops. I am sure he can coach up an offense, but can he recruit? Does he have a network of relevant recruiting contacts? Can he attract, select and effectively manage assistants? I don't think he's done so before.

Roman could be awesome. He could also be a flop. Hard to say.
Mod34b

Postby Mod34b on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:07 pm

HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

It's somewhat silly, really. Every great coach was never a head coach before he got his first job. You also can point out as many head coaches who sucked at a higher level as you can assistants who failed as head coaches.

Here's the thing half names prominently mentioned would be meh at best. Some would be all time greats. Which is which... I don't know. But, I think you can find that out through the interview process. For BC, I think it is critical to get someone who (a) is a very hard worker and (b) can recruit. I don't think the coach's current title should be a determining factor.

BTW... I will point out that while Spaz was a career assistant who got his first head coaching job at BC, it is important to note that he was TWENTY EFFING YEARS OLDER than all the similarly situated candidates that we are looking at. I'd also point out that before Spazoo, we hired Coughlin, Henning, TOB and Jags. 3 of them were first time head coaches. The only one with head coaching experience (which included TWO stints as an NFL head coach) turned out to be the worst... by far.

Thanks for the reply. Roman might be good, but he is a much riskier choice then others because he does not have solid FBS experience. He could be "so BC" - a semi diamond in the rough who loves to overcome low expectations. A passionate hard worker.

Being a hard worker can be great, but is he working too hard? Other coaches call him "grinder." - a back-handed compliment for sure. Is he a grinder who as risen to his pre-Peter-Principle Level?

Who knows. In Bates We Must Trust for sorting through all the intangibles
Mod34b

Postby hansen on Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:14 pm

Mod34b {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:
Cadillac90 {l Wrote}:
Mod34b {l Wrote}:

Thanks for the reply. Roman might be good, but he is a much riskier choice then others because he does not have solid FBS experience. He could be "so BC" - a semi diamond in the rough who loves to overcome low expectations. A passionate hard worker.

Being a hard worker can be great, but is he working too hard? Other coaches call him "grinder." - a back-handed compliment for sure. Is he a grinder who as risen to his pre-Peter-Principle Level?

Who knows. In Bates We Must Trust for sorting through all the intangibles

Considering the state of the program left by Spaziani, I think roman is too risky. We need a guy with lots of college coaching and recruiting experience. Hiring an nfl guy could turn into hennings 2.0. If that happened, who knows how long it could take to recover.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium