2013 Recruiting Thread

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: 2013 Recruiting Thread

Postby bceagles24 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:55 pm

As for Lowrie vs Boyle I'd say its a tossup right now. I'm interested in seeing the SR film for the two of them regardless there two quality QBs coming into the team no complaints.

As for the leader of the class Willis is definitely involved but I lean towards Lowrie because like I said most have mentioned him as the guy including Willis. I think Myles told me something along the lines of idk if there's really a leader but Mack was the first to reach out to me. They both are very active which is good. The thing that puts Lowrie over the top is he's at a lot of the games so he talks to the guys in person. But that's all nitpicking there both active like I said.

On Jazz I just think he was one of the guys that committed because of the staff first and foremost and saw the writing on the wall.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:46 am

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:On Jazz I just think he was one of the guys that committed because of the staff first and foremost and saw the writing on the wall.

Comical since it certainly appears the very same writing is on the wall for Pasqualoni - perhaps a year from now instead of at the end of this season.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:08 am

Justin Rowland just tweeted ...

#Maryland commit Kingsley Opara said ACC was reason he chose Maryland over WVU, since latter doesn't play USF anymore.

Opara (6'4, 275lb, 3* DT from Jacksonville) tweeted about 2 months ago that BC was still actively recruiting him despite his solid commitment to MD (@future40million University of Kentucky & Boston college comin at me hard).

Doesn't show as having a BC offer at the moment but would have to think its a possibility. I believe he is originally from Massachusetts as well and is a big Patriots fan. Although until we have a new staff im not going to hold my breath.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:55 am

I just had a chance to see Natick High and QB Troy Flutie play. He's very good--and still a JR.

Happy thanksgiving all.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:13 pm

Darren's son, right?
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby bignick33 on Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:02 pm

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:Darren's son, right?

That is correct. Darren is the WR coach there too. Natick High is very good this year and could easily win their SB, but they could be much better next year.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:55 pm

Boyle and the kicker have both said they are solid post the firing.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:00 pm

Wouldn't expect many to leave if any to be honest unless the coach says see ya later or there is a big scheme change.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:01 pm

JRowland just posted that Montgomery is a strong BC lean.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby joeyfenn on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:04 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:Boyle and the kicker have both said they are solid post the firing.

Lowrie, Willis and Ntantang are good too
joeyfenn
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:12 pm

Fred Coppet says BC's in good shape too.

I guess anyone who committed this year had to imagine this possibility, but it sounds like we should hold most of the class (for better or worse) unless there's a radical scheme change.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby PhillyandBCEagles on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:21 pm

We might lose 1-2 guys but I highly doubt there'll be a wholesale exodus. Most of these guys have no other BCS options and the ones that do have to have picked BC in spite of Spaz, rather than because of him.
PhillyandBCEagles
Merkert Hall

Postby joesim on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:26 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:JRowland just posted that Montgomery is a strong BC lean.

Can you post the article?
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby 31southst on Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:00 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/east/post?id=4896

Three-star running back LeShun Daniels (Warren, Ohio/Warren G. Harding) knew there was a possibility Boston College coach Frank Spaziani would be fired at the end of the season, so he has been bracing himself.

The news came down Sunday as Boston College fired Spaziani. Daniels is committed to the Eagles.

"I knew that there was a possibility, and that's part of being a coach," he said. "It happens and you can't worry or think about it."

Daniels said he remains committed to Boston College despite the coaching change, although he will keep his options open.

"I chose BC because it's a good school, in a real good area, nice facilities -- that's why," Daniels said. "... I'm still committed 100 percent, but I'm going to look at a few other things. But for now I am."

Boston College hosted Daniels for his official visit back in September, but he said he would like to unofficially visit once a new coach is hired.

Daniels took an unofficial visit to Penn State this season, and the Nittany Lions are interested but have not offered. Akron and Bowling Green have extended offers to Daniels.

Daniels does not have any programs in mind that would make him change his commitment status at the moment.

"I don't have a list right now," he said. "We'll have to see what happens."
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:59 am

joesim {l Wrote}:
DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:JRowland just posted that Montgomery is a strong BC lean.

Can you post the article?

Does the firing change his BC lean ?

For some reason I dont want to count out Hurst either. I think if BC makes the right hire he can be flipped. He mentioned it on twitter (as did Jack McDonald) so at least there is still some kind of interest in the program.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:56 am

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecr ... t?id=24179

Eden Prairie (Minn.) outside linebacker Jack Cottrell did not like to see it happen, but he believes it was a move Boston College had to make.

The three-star prospect and Boston College commit heard the news that Frank Spaziani was let go as the Eagles’ coach Sunday.

“I think it’s a tough thing to have happen but it was necessary after the past two seasons,” he said.

Cottrell’s commitment to Boston College is still solid, but he said if another team offers he could look around. Iowa State could be close to offering.

“I’m still firm,” he said, “but Iowa State would be my next choice.”

Cottrell said in-state Minnesota could also offer.
http://www.yourtwopennies.com/forum/forum.php - Sports Talk That Makes Cents!
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:00 am

Boston College won’t lose out on Kevin Kavelec (Cleveland/St. Ignatius) after the firing of coach Frank Spaziani over the weekend.

The three-star defensive end, who led St. Ignatius to a Division I state championship last season and regional final appearance this season, is as firm as ever in his commitment to the Eagles.

“Yep, I’m still solid,” Kavalec said Monday evening. “I would like to see who the new coach is going to be, but I’m still a solid commit. I’m hoping some of the assistant coaches are still around. I never got a chance to know Coach Spaziani all that well.”

The only thing that has changed for Kavelec is the date of his official visit. The 6-foot-3, 240-pound senior was planning on making the visit this weekend but will hold off on that visit until a new coach arrives.

Kavelec has an in-home visit lined up with offensive line coach and running game coordinator Jim Bollman on Wednesday. He won’t press Bollman for information, either. Instead he’ll let the string play out.

“I just want to sit down, have some dinner and talk,” Kavelec said.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecr ... t?id=24155
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:02 am

One Boston College commitment will wait at least another week before making any decision on his future.

The Eagles fired Frank Spaziani as coach Sunday, a move expected by many, including three-star receiver Charles Callinan (Jersey City, N.J./St. Peter's Prep).

"I wasn't surprised by the news," he said. "I've been hearing rumors for the past couple of weeks."

The departure of Spaziani does not mean the 6-foot-4 receiver, who also holds offers from Connecticut and Rutgers, will immediately look elsewhere.

"As of right now I'm still committed and waiting to hear who will be appointed the new head coach before I figure anything out," Callinan said.

St. Peter's Prep will play in the semifinals Friday against fellow in-state power Paramus Catholic, and Callinan said he won't revisit his commitment until after his season ends. He is also unsure whether he will take any visits.

"I don't know," he said. "I'm going to wait until my season is over before I think about any of that. I'm focused on my season right now."

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecr ... t?id=24144
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby GT BoSox on Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:04 am

The Boston College 2013 class remains in one piece as another recruit pledged to stick with the program.

Three-star defensive tackle Truman Gutapfel (Harrison, Ohio/William Henry Harrison) said Sunday night he remains committed to the program. A few hours earlier, Boston College fired Frank Spaziani as coach.

Gutapfel admitted to not having much information about the details yet, but said "After talking with the other recruits tonight, we are committed to the BC program, and we are ready to get up to the Heights and get to work."

Gutapfel committed to BC in July and is No. 89 among defensive tackles nationally.

Three-star prospects LeShun Daniels and Drew Barksdale also said they remain committed Sunday.

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecr ... t?id=24141
GT BoSox
Carney Hall

Postby 31southst on Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:28 pm

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncfrecruiting/east/post?id=4935

Matt Milano (one of the few guys with another option) is looking around.

Boston College commit Matt Milano (Orlando, Fla./Dr. Phillips) said the dismissal of former Boston College head coach Frank Spaziani was not shocking to him.

The three-star defensive back prospect said while he liked the coach and wanted to play for him, he understands that winning is important.

“As you know with any situation if you don’t get the job done then tough decisions have to be made,” Milano explained. “I think he’s a good guy and I wish things could have worked out. Right now there isn’t much I can do about it.”

Milano says he’ll remain committed to Boston College for now but is planning on taking an official visit to Arizona after the season. Currently Dr. Phillips is in the third round of the Florida Class 8A playoffs.

“Arizona actually offered me before Boston College and they have been recruiting me from the very beginning,” Milano said. “So I’m going to take an official there with my brother.”

Milano said that Kentucky, which hired FSU defensive coordinator Mark Stoops today, and Duke are also in the mix.

“Right now I’m focused on trying to win a state championship,” Milano added. “After that I’ll see what happens with the BC job and how it’s going to affect me.”
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby bignick33 on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:17 pm

More on Troy Flutie in the state divisional semifinals:

http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/featu ... ers?zc_p=0
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby 31southst on Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:54 pm

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high-school/post/_/id/20340/recruiting-notes-lowrie-boyle-sticking-with-bc

Another article where Lowrie and Boyle reaffirm their commitment. Both of them sticking is big, as we'll need one of those two or Suntrup to take over after next year. Also, I hadn't seen anywhere the Rutgers offered Lowrie.

Mackay Lowrie said he had already run the scenario through his mind, so he had little to think about when Boston College fired football coach Frank Spaziani on Sunday.

Lowrie, a 6-foot-4, 205-pound quarterback from Roxbury Latin School, said Monday night that he still plans to play college football at BC. He is currently the only Massachusetts player from the Class of 2014 who has committed to the Eagles.

“My first reaction was it's unfortunate, but I'd be lying if I told you I didn't think it might happen,” Lowrie said. “I chose BC last spring knowing something like this might happen. That's college football.

“I'm staying with BC. I really can't wait to get there. I'm excited to see who will be the next head coach.”

BC assistant coach Sean Devine had dinner at Lowrie's house in Foxborough on Monday night.

“It was a planned home visit,” Lowrie said. “He's still a Boston College employee, and he told me he'll keep working until they tell him not to. It would be tough to see him go.”

Lowrie, a two-star recruit, originally intended to play baseball in college, but focused on football after he had a strong junior season. He was a three-year starter at quarterback for Roxbury Latin after playing defensive back as a freshman.

Rutgers also offered Lowrie a scholarship. Duke and Virginia are the other schools that showed significant interest.

“Basically it came down to BC, UVA and Rutgers,” he said. “Ultimately BC was the best fit. The location is huge -– it's less than 30 miles from my house. Academically you can't get a much better place in Division 1 football than BC. The fact that it's a Jesuit school was another huge factor.”

Another QB Option: Tim Boyle, a senior quarterback who plays for Xavier High School in Middletown, Conn., also said he will remain committed to BC, despite the coaching change.

“I am strongly committed,” Boyle said via text message Monday night. “I have no different opinion on BC. I still can't wait!”

Like Lowrie, Boyle is a pro-style quarterback who has already taken his official visit to BC. He also had offers from Florida, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Syracuse and Pittsburgh.

Boyle, a three-star recruit, missed seven games with a separated shoulder last season, but has completed 93 of 163 passes for 1,612 yards and 15 touchdowns (six interceptions) this season.

Third-seeded Xavier (8-1) is scheduled to play sixth-seeded Greenwich (8-1) in the Class LL quarterfinals tonight. Xavier is seeking its third consecutive Class LL championship.

More Local Flavor: Marquis Little, a linebacker from Manchester (Conn.) High School, is the only other senior from New England currently committed to BC.

Tight end Andrew Isaacs, Little's high school teammate, is one of three other New England players who decommitted from BC before Spaziani was fired. The others are Cheshire Academy linebacker Cory Jasudowich, and Sacred Heart (Waterbury, Conn.) wide receiver David Coggins.

Isaacs committed to Maryland, Jasudowich committed to Connecticut and Coggins is undecided. All three are three-star recruits
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby bceagles24 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:17 am

Marquis Little picked up an offer from Michigan per his coach.
bceagles24
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:14 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Marquis Little picked up an offer from Michigan per his coach.

WHAT.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:09 pm

bceagles24 {l Wrote}:Marquis Little picked up an offer from Michigan per his coach.

I dont think I have read anything either way since :spaz2 was fired in re: to Little's commitment. Had to assume that because he came out of total obscurity with no other offers there wasnt any other options. Ive also read on some of the Michigan sites that they are offering him as a potential safety ??
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby 31southst on Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:38 pm

If true 1) have to assume he's gone but 2) it does make me view his commitment very differently. Yet another side effect of Spaz was I gave him no benefit of the doubt for under the radar guys since he was so lazy in his recruiting otherwise.
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:02 am

Tevin Montgomery to BC
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:03 am

BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

Postby fs33 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:23 pm

London cleans house at UVA, including Jim Reid who recruited BC High lineman McDonald. Might be worthwhile for whoever BC hires to give him a call. Hopefully the no contacting committed recruits rule changes with the new staff.
fs33
McGuinn Hall

Postby BCSUPERFAN22 on Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:10 pm

fs33 {l Wrote}:London cleans house at UVA, including Jim Reid who recruited BC High lineman McDonald. Might be worthwhile for whoever BC hires to give him a call. Hopefully the no contacting committed recruits rule changes with the new staff.

I was actually just looking this up. First, it is ludicrous that the old staff was not going to take an OL this season. If BC was able to flip McDonald (or even Henson for that matter who is from NJ and a BC recruit at one point) it would be huge. I still think that there is an outside shot that with the right hire BC can flip Hurst, and Hurst and McDonald are close, I definitely dont think the recruiting in Mass is over yet.
BCSUPERFAN22
Merkert Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium