Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby BCEagles25 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:40 pm

I think the only people capable of agreeing with the Owens - Haynes comparison are the dead, dumb, and blind. Owens is an offensive project. Marquez Haynes was 5th in the entire NCAA in scoring his senior year. It seems Garland Owens is a good defender and good athlete, and that may be the only way to compare the two.
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:42 pm

Last year, Josh Hearlihy F 6'7" (Sherman Oaks, Calif./Northfield Mount Hermon) signed a letter of intent with Utah. By the time his senior year was over, he was a free man. An injury gave the Utes pause and then their head coach requested he sign a declassification letter. "At the time I was devastated," Hearlihy said. "But it's all worked out for the best. There are no hard feelings."

So, the Utes gambled that he would never recover and be healthy. It was the wrong call, but it was made. Everyone's moved on. Drake and Rice offered and Stanford and St. Bonaventure are watching the California native. Boston College is also looking at this intriguing frontcourt talent.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby Brablc on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:06 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
Last year, Josh Hearlihy F 6'7" (Sherman Oaks, Calif./Northfield Mount Hermon) signed a letter of intent with Utah. By the time his senior year was over, he was a free man. An injury gave the Utes pause and then their head coach requested he sign a declassification letter. "At the time I was devastated," Hearlihy said. "But it's all worked out for the best. There are no hard feelings."

So, the Utes gambled that he would never recover and be healthy. It was the wrong call, but it was made. Everyone's moved on. Drake and Rice offered and Stanford and St. Bonaventure are watching the California native. Boston College is also looking at this intriguing frontcourt talent.

A recent article with a paragraph on him:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/h ... index.html
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:20 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

A recent article with a paragraph on him:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/h ... index.html

FUCK IT. Sign him.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:52 pm

When did we become an upper mid-major? Did I miss out on our move to the CAA?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:05 pm

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:When did we become an upper mid-major? Did I miss out on our move to the CAA?

Relax...Clemson's looking at him too. We aren't the only ACC team. Must be a stock riser.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:06 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:When did we become an upper mid-major? Did I miss out on our move to the CAA?

Relax...Clemson's looking at him too. We aren't the only ACC team. Must be a stock riser.

Does he have youth? We'd like to avoid youth because its getting old.
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:19 pm

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

Does he have youth? We'd like to avoid youth because its getting being old young.

I think you got it the other way around. FIXED
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:21 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

I wasn't a fan of him to start. Plus, he just got injured.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:00 pm

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:

Does he have youth? We'd like to avoid youth because its getting old.

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby joesim on Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:02 pm

1m Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop
2015 New Hampton (NH) big man Jeremy Miller is taking in the Boston College Basketball game today, a source says.
Expand
joesim
McGuinn Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Wed Nov 21, 2012 6:05 pm

joesim {l Wrote}:1m Alex Kline ‏@TheRecruitScoop
2015 New Hampton (NH) big man Jeremy Miller is taking in the Boston College Basketball game today, a source says.
Expand

I just want to remind everyone on this board that I am taking full credit if Jeremy becomes an Eagle.

See my first ever post on this board in July about a conversation I had on a plane with his mother.
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:54 pm

vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
Expand

I just want to remind everyone on this board that I am taking full credit if Jeremy becomes an Eagle.

See my first ever post on this board in July about a conversation I had on a plane with his mother.

All right, if Jeremy Miller signs with BC, we'll all play "Viva Las Vegas" out the window at full blast.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Wed Nov 21, 2012 9:30 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
vegasEagle {l Wrote}:
Expand

All right, if Jeremy Miller signs with BC, we'll all play "Viva Las Vegas" out the window at full blast.

Now that's what I'm talking about Baron!!!!
(Elvis version only please)

or you could go with "Dirty Water" since I'm a Boston MassHole by birth
Happy Thanksgiving!
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:20 am

New Garland Owens scouting report (from ESPN insider):
Strengths:
Owens is the highest level athlete, capable of making above-the-rim momentum changing plays on both ends of the floor. He's explosive in transition, and at his best when able to fill lanes on the break and finish above the rim. He's dangerous as a straight line driver and much improved with his jumper. Defensively, he covers a great deal of ground, gets his hands on a lot of balls, and thrives in run and jump situations.
Weaknesses:
His biggest challenges are his skill level and feel for the game. While he's become a much better threat with his jumper, he still needs a ton of space and time to fire. His handle could also stand to improve, especially when playing against pressure or attempting to make quick changes of direction.
Bottom Line:
Owens is the highest level athlete and so he could have a role in one of the most competitive leagues in the country, but he'll need to develop his skill set and basketball I.Q. in order to be anything other than a role player.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby Shaddix on Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:39 pm

Like many others in the class of 2013, small forward Rashard Kelly is dealing with the difficult question of where he’ll play college basketball, but first, he has to decide whether he’s going to transition to the next level this year or the next.

“I’m in my senior class but if I don’t find the right scholarship offer this year, I can come back for a prep year next year at Massanutten,” Kelly told NRS. ”Right now, it’s 50-50. I don’t have a lot of high-major offers but I feel if I did take that post-grad year I could get a lot of high-major offers.”

The Massanutten Military Academy (VA) senior currently has offers from Boston College, Delaware, Old Dominion, Western Kentucky, Illinois State, George Washington and Robert Morris, among others. He has also drawn interest from George Mason, Providence, Georgia and DePaul.

Among the schools currently recruiting him, Kelly does have some schools that are sticking out to him.

“I do have a top five, but it’s not in a specific order,” he said. “It’s Boston College, Seton Hall, Delaware, George Mason and George Washington. Boston College, if I go there, it’s playing against good competition and it’s a good school academically; Seton Hall, it’s the same situation where it’s good competition and then Delaware, George Mason and George Washington are close to home. Location isn’t a big factor but it’s something to think about.”

Kelly was set to take an unofficial visit to Old Dominion Saturday but it has now been rescheduled and a future date hasn’t been identified. He’s also planning on officially visiting Boston College and has recently taken unofficials to Delaware and George Mason.

When going on these visits, Kelly knows what he’s looking for in a school. “I want to go somewhere you can get the best of both worlds,” he added. “I want to go in and play but get a good education at the same time.”

Among the schools recruiting him, Boston College and Old Dominion are coming after him the hardest. He has also built the best relationship with the coaching staff at Delaware.

“I’ve probably developed the best relationship with Delaware out of my top five because coach [Chris] Cheeks, the assistant at Delaware, coached my [DC Assault] AAU team this summer so I know him more personally,” Kelly said.

In addition to coaches like Cheeks, the 6’7, 220-pound Virginia native also has one of his friends and teammates recruiting him. “[Class of 2013 small forward] Garland [Owens] is telling me Boston College is a perfect fit for me; he’s one of my closest friends at Massanutten,” Kelly added. “He tells me every day how I need to come to Boston College. He’s persuading me quite a bit.”

Kelly plans on deciding whether he’ll commit and go to college next year or reclassify and take a post-grad year in the spring. Although there are no schools in particular he hopes gets involved with him, he would like more ACC and Big East programs to recruit him.
Shaddix
Campion Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:22 pm

Shaddix {l Wrote}:
Like many others in the class of 2013, small forward Rashard Kelly is dealing with the difficult question of where he’ll play college basketball, but first, he has to decide whether he’s going to transition to the next level this year or the next.

“I’m in my senior class but if I don’t find the right scholarship offer this year, I can come back for a prep year next year at Massanutten,” Kelly told NRS. ”Right now, it’s 50-50. I don’t have a lot of high-major offers but I feel if I did take that post-grad year I could get a lot of high-major offers.”

The Massanutten Military Academy (VA) senior currently has offers from Boston College, Delaware, Old Dominion, Western Kentucky, Illinois State, George Washington and Robert Morris, among others. He has also drawn interest from George Mason, Providence, Georgia and DePaul.

Among the schools currently recruiting him, Kelly does have some schools that are sticking out to him.

“I do have a top five, but it’s not in a specific order,” he said. “It’s Boston College, Seton Hall, Delaware, George Mason and George Washington. Boston College, if I go there, it’s playing against good competition and it’s a good school academically; Seton Hall, it’s the same situation where it’s good competition and then Delaware, George Mason and George Washington are close to home. Location isn’t a big factor but it’s something to think about.”

Kelly was set to take an unofficial visit to Old Dominion Saturday but it has now been rescheduled and a future date hasn’t been identified. He’s also planning on officially visiting Boston College and has recently taken unofficials to Delaware and George Mason.

When going on these visits, Kelly knows what he’s looking for in a school. “I want to go somewhere you can get the best of both worlds,” he added. “I want to go in and play but get a good education at the same time.”

Among the schools recruiting him, Boston College and Old Dominion are coming after him the hardest. He has also built the best relationship with the coaching staff at Delaware.

“I’ve probably developed the best relationship with Delaware out of my top five because coach [Chris] Cheeks, the assistant at Delaware, coached my [DC Assault] AAU team this summer so I know him more personally,” Kelly said.

In addition to coaches like Cheeks, the 6’7, 220-pound Virginia native also has one of his friends and teammates recruiting him. “[Class of 2013 small forward] Garland [Owens] is telling me Boston College is a perfect fit for me; he’s one of my closest friends at Massanutten,” Kelly added. “He tells me every day how I need to come to Boston College. He’s persuading me quite a bit.”

Kelly plans on deciding whether he’ll commit and go to college next year or reclassify and take a post-grad year in the spring. Although there are no schools in particular he hopes gets involved with him, he would like more ACC and Big East programs to recruit him.

I read this and the first thing that pops into my mind is this (double ellipses)

Owens is a better recruiter than Spaz. :suicide
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby BCEagles25 on Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:37 pm

6'7 220? I thought he was 6'5 185?
I like BC basketball.
BCEagles25
Higgins Hall

Postby Primetime on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:05 am

Owens is 6'5 185 - more of a 2/3 type player, slasher. Kelly is 6'7 220 and would see time at the 3 and the 4, I would presume. I haven't seen video of Kelly, but from looking at stats/game results it seems like they've both gotten lost in the limelight playing on one of the top prep teams in the country: Frank Mason (Kansas), Deandre Burnett (Miami), Damonte Dodd (Maryland), QJ Peterson (VMI) also suit up for Massanutten. Owens and Kelly barely play 20 min a game from the couple of box scores I saw.

Seems like the Don is "buying low" as both of these guys look to be rising. Hopefully Owens can convince Kelly to come because we need as many good players we can get. Owens and Donahue are a good start but I'd like to see Kelly or another forward, plus another guard in 2013.

What's the news on Travis Jorgenson? This kid is a stud and is at New Hampton, played with Hanlan. Are we out on him? ESPN shows Alabama, Creighton, OK State, Tulsa under his school list, but not us.
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:13 am

We need as many high level athletes as possible.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:55 am

Primetime {l Wrote}:Owens is 6'5 185 - more of a 2/3 type player, slasher. Kelly is 6'7 220 and would see time at the 3 and the 4, I would presume. I haven't seen video of Kelly, but from looking at stats/game results it seems like they've both gotten lost in the limelight playing on one of the top prep teams in the country: Frank Mason (Kansas), Deandre Burnett (Miami), Damonte Dodd (Maryland), QJ Peterson (VMI) also suit up for Massanutten. Owens and Kelly barely play 20 min a game from the couple of box scores I saw.

Seems like the Don is "buying low" as both of these guys look to be rising. Hopefully Owens can convince Kelly to come because we need as many good players we can get. Owens and Donahue are a good start but I'd like to see Kelly or another forward, plus another guard in 2013.

What's the news on Travis Jorgenson? This kid is a stud and is at New Hampton, played with Hanlan. Are we out on him? ESPN shows Alabama, Creighton, OK State, Tulsa under his school list, but not us.

You're wrong about Jorgenson playing with Hanlan; he came to New Hampton this fall. Jorgenson is from Columbia, Missouri (right on Missouri's doorstep) and was playing as a senior for his local public HS last year. As soon as he got home from what looked like a good visit to BC, the Missouri staff decided to notice his existence and got him to commit with a whirlwind courtship. Some months later, they recruited over his head and signed a higher-rated PG, so Jorgenson decommitted and decided to do a postgrad year at New Hampton, presumably for maximum recruiting exposure.

As to why Jorgenson and BC don't seem to be connected this year after showing clear mutual interest last year, my guess is that Donahue's recruiting priorities have changed after signing Hanlan and Rahon. Jorgenson is strictly a pass-first PG, more a distributor than a scorer. With both of the freshmen covering PG, Donahue is more likely to be looking for a SG or, in the best case, another combo guard, rather than a floor-general type like Jorgenson. If he thinks Owens can play some as a 2, he might wait until 2014 to go for another guard. Right now, with offers out to Hearlihy and Kelly, he seems to be thinking mainly about getting a combo forward.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby Primetime on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:12 pm

Got it. Thanks for the correction.
Primetime
Carney Hall

Postby vegasEagle on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Primetime {l Wrote}:Got it. Thanks for the correction.

Deion, any potential BC guys at your school or will you funnel them all to FSU?
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby Brablc on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:41 am

On ESPN: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... st?id=4614

Highlight of the Day

Senior Garland Owens (Rockville, Md./Maasanutten), who is committed to Boston College, provided the crowd with a one-handed tip-in dunk off an offensive rebound that he caught behind his head and finished in traffic. The 6-5 forward was so high in the air that he finished the play on the way down. Owens likes to slash along the baseline and he can block shots and rebound. He has elite athleticism and is capable of becoming an excellent multiple-position defender. He has to add to his game and be more productive, but as he showed on Saturday, he can take the air out of an opponent with his ability to play above the rim with flare.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Brablc {l Wrote}:On ESPN: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... st?id=4614

Highlight of the Day

Senior Garland Owens (Rockville, Md./Maasanutten), who is committed to Boston College, provided the crowd with a one-handed tip-in dunk off an offensive rebound that he caught behind his head and finished in traffic. The 6-5 forward was so high in the air that he finished the play on the way down. Owens likes to slash along the baseline and he can block shots and rebound. He has elite athleticism and is capable of becoming an excellent multiple-position defender. He has to add to his game and be more productive, but as he showed on Saturday, he can take the air out of an opponent with his ability to play above the rim with flare.

That should put to rest any doubts about Owens' elite athleticism. I'm beginning to get excited about this kid; jump-through-the-roof leapers have been very rare in the history of BC basketball, and Owens looks like he could enliven things considerably, besides adding some urgently needed defensive ability. If he can develop an offensive game, he could become a classic BC recruiting steal.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:55 am

Pittsburgh head coach Jamie Dixon, Boston College head coach Steve Donahue, Providence head coach Ed Cooley, and Butler head coach Brad Stevens headlined a group of college coaches on hand for the third and final day of the Hoop Mountain Prep Classic. Here's a recap of the action:

Lee Academy 79 Mont Clare 66

Coming off their run-away victory on Saturday morning, Lee Academy completed their perfect weekend with another convincing win, this time coming against Mont Clare. Charles Foster continued to lead the way offensively, turning in his third consecutive strong offensive outing with 19 points. Vermont bound point guard Kiefer Douse contributed 11 of his own while Rashad Andrews and Felipe Teixeira slashed their way to 13 and 11 points respectively.

New Hampton 60 Vermont Academy 58

Vermont Academy came out of the gates ready to go and opened up a double digit first half lead that they would maintain until mid-way through the second half. Travis Jorgenson would step up to lead the New Hampton run, playing his best basketball down the stretch of an exciting and dramatic game, while Noah Vonleh would make a variety of little plays along the way. Jorgenson and Vonleh would finish with 22 and 17 respectively while FIU bound guard Daquein McNeil would put on an offensive show with a 27 point performance. Ultimately, the game came down to the final possession when a Dimitri Floras (10 points) three-point attempt went half way down before popping back out.

Brewster Academy 84 Worcester 82

After the thrilling finale of the New Hampton and Vermont Academy game, it was only fitting that Brewster and Worcester delivered an equally entertaining 40 minute battle. Brewster opened the game with a commanding run as Chris McCullough flew above the rim and Ron Patterson got going early. Worcester would come right back as their interior tandem of Matt Cimino and Thomas Rivard would both turn in strong first half performances. Rene Castro was the story in the second, showing his full arsenal of offensive skills en route to a 32 point performance. Ultimately, this game too would come down to one final shot too and that belonged to Kevin Zabo who drilled an elbow pull-up with 0.8 seconds on the clock to give Brewster the win. McCullough would finish with 17, Patterson 16, and Zabo 10 while Kyle Washington added 11 points along with a number of blocks and rebounds.

Tilton 89 Bridgton 74

Bridgton spread the ball around to open up a double digit first half lead but Tilton would come storming back in the second. Wayne Selden showed a versatile floor game, not only putting up a game high 27 points but also going hard to the glass, finding his teammates with his passing ability, and doing a nice job of leading his young squad. Lee Messier put up 15 points in his return to his home state while Chester Victor continued to show well with a number of smooth jumpers and 14 points. Andrew Guerrero had his best game yet for Bridgton, mixing in some sneaky drives to match his marksmanship from downtown for a team high 21 points. Massachusetts native Chris Lee had his best game yet in the prep ranks, scoring 17 points and showing renewed aggressiveness on the glass.

Cushing Academy 61 Wilbraham & Monson 41

Rhode Island native Andrew Chrabascz played 32 minutes of inspired basketball while the backcourt tandem of Kaleb Joseph and Jalen Adams both made a series of big plays to lead Cushing to the win. With his future head coach at Butler, Brad Stevens, looking on, Chrabascz seemed to relish the challenge of playing against Wilbraham's highly touted frontline. The Rhode Island native showed some fancy footwork to score 18 points going over both shoulders while pulling down a number of rebounds. Joseph matched the 18 point output while acting as the primary facilitator in the backcourt and Adams added 15 of his own. Wilbraham & Monson was led by Kerem Kanter who showed his intriguing inside-out skill set to finish with 15 points while freshman phenom Mustapha Heron added 13 points on a series of outside jumpers and tough pull-ups.

St. Andrew's 77 Salisbury 73

The home team came out with a burst of momentum in order to build up a commanding first half lead, but a resilient Salisbury team refused to give in and fought all the way back to make it a one possession game in the final minute of regulation. Tom Hunt was the story for St. Andrew's in the first half, scoring 16 of his 18 points, while Bonzie Colson would take over in the second, scored 11 of his 17 points after halftime including the go-ahead bucket with 7 seconds left in the game. Salisbury junior guard K.J. Lee relentlessly attacked the rim for 16 points while fellow junior Mackenzie Morrison had an equally impressive debut with 16 points of his own including a number of big threes in the second half. Fellow newcomers Evan Hole and Isaiah Robinson also impressed in their Salisbury debuts with 13 and 11 points respectively.

Putnam Science 87 Notre Dame Prep 64

Putnam Science Academy capped the 2012 Hoop Mountain Prep Classic by delivering a surprising upset on Sunday night. Once again it was the backcourt duo of Dayshon Smith and Jemal Mosley who led the way for PSA. Smith went for 23 along with a handful of assists coming off his dribble drives while Mosley continued to score in high volume with a 25 point performance. Jonte Rutty provided a huge spark from behind the three-point line, going six of seven from long range to finish with 20 points of his own. Jarrel Marshall led Notre Dame with 15 points one night after starring with their second team, while Roger Moute a Bidias and Jamel Artis both had 11.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby The Knife of Asia on Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:12 pm

RedBaron67 {l Wrote}:
Brablc {l Wrote}:On ESPN: http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/ncbrecr ... st?id=4614

Highlight of the Day

That should put to rest any doubts about Owens' elite athleticism. I'm beginning to get excited about this kid; jump-through-the-roof leapers have been very rare in the history of BC basketball, and Owens looks like he could enliven things considerably, besides adding some urgently needed defensive ability. If he can develop an offensive game, he could become a classic BC recruiting steal.

Could be the next Kenny Walls
The Knife of Asia
McGuinn Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:32 pm

The plan next year isn't Anderson, Clifford, Odio and Caudill right?
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby RedBaron67 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:01 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:The plan next year isn't Anderson, Clifford, Odio and Caudill right?

It seems pretty clear that Donahue is shopping for a combo forward in 2013, so there's likely to be some change up front. (Of course, that still leaves Caudill as the backup center, unless he transfers and opens another slot.)
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby joemack13 on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:32 pm

Caudill is getting 0 minutes when we're thin down low right now, why should we think he'll get any minutes next year?
joemack13
Campion Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum