Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Maryland may actually be leaving the ACC

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:06 am

PhillyandBCEagles {l Wrote}:
HJS {l Wrote}:Before the votes happen, is there anyone who says this doesn't happen??? Based on the last go around, with FSU and B12 when people came outta the woods to claim they knew it wasn't happening... I really want to give others the opportunity to say they told us so.

Clearly, I think this shit is real and is the direct result of our destabilizing, crap, league destroying, 15-fucking-year indentured servitude arrangement we have with ESPN.

I say its not happening.

I also will go on record as saying this is not happening.
HANSENPOST :shrug

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:07 am

The thing that I most enjoy about all this is the short sighted attitudes of many of our fans. The ones that propped themselves up on all the awful things that the Big East had to do to remain relevant once we left. Those barbs have been changed to "well, its not that bad" or "Friday night games make more sense than Thursday night games."

I think I would find a way to care a little bit more if either of our marquee sports could produce a better than .500 team. As it appears that we may be years from that possibility, does it really matter what it says on the opponent's jerseys as they are beating us into the ground?

In summary *fart*

Back to your regularly scheduled falling sky program
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:11 am

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:The thing that I most enjoy about all this is the short sighted attitudes of many of our fans. The ones that propped themselves up on all the awful things that the Big East had to do to remain relevant once we left. Those barbs have been changed to "well, its not that bad" or "Friday night games make more sense than Thursday night games."

I think I would find a way to care a little bit more if either of our marquee sports could produce a better than .500 team. As it appears that we may be years from that possibility, does it really matter what it says on the opponent's jerseys as they are beating us into the ground?

In summary *fart*

Back to your regularly scheduled falling sky program

this

if BC gets back to 10-2 season, then we will always be relevant regardless of what conference we are in (thanks to being located in the Boston TV market and Flutie).

if Coach Fuckface and fucktarded coaching tree lead us to continued 4-8 seasons (or worse), then we could be in the SEC (with a gazillion dollar tv contract) and it still wouldnt matter

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby UnionvilleUConnFan on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:17 am

It's happening:

http://maryland.247sports.com/

So ACC-- UConn or Louisville. What say you?
UnionvilleUConnFan
Carney Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:19 am

UnionvilleUConnFan {l Wrote}:It's happening:

http://maryland.247sports.com/

So ACC-- UConn or Louisville. What say you?

I think we should kneel it out and play for overtime.
Wikipedia {l Wrote}:Spaziani is known as a wordsmith often answering interview questions with unintelligible murmurs or seemingly invented words. He has been honored by his peers as the most underqualified coach ever assigned to a head coaching role at a Division 1 school
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby bcaddict on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:20 am

I generally think HJS has been way too chicken little with this whole expansion thing (and he's been proven so time and tome again) but I do share his concern here that this has nothing to do with MD and everything to do with Clemson/FSU/GT etc. And I can't see how this can be spun as anything but portending bad news. I was always skeptical of Clemson/FSU to the B12 and frequently posted my worries of MDtotheB1G because the B12 is not the B1G and never has not ever will be with its current compositin of schools.but the B1G could pick off any non-NC (or ND) school that it wanted. The SEC has this ability as well, but I'm not sure it has the motivation at the B1G does.

But with this crisis the ACChas an opportunity: have Clemson and FSU drive the decision-making on the 14th member--if it means sacrificing academics and the more natural footprint for football, bring in louisville instead of UConn.

Get Notre Dame to add (at least) one more game to show their commitment to the league. Maybe add Navy as football only with Gtown bball to do so.

This isn't a death blow nor does it necessarily suggest that one is coming. But it does require the ACC to act proactively. Again.
bcaddict
Carney Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:28 am

bcaddict {l Wrote}:I generally think HJS has been way too chicken little with this whole expansion thing (and he's been proven so time and tome again) but I do share his concern here that this has nothing to do with MD and everything to do with Clemson/FSU/GT etc. And I can't see how this can be spun as anything but portending bad news. I was always skeptical of Clemson/FSU to the B12 and frequently posted my worries of MDtotheB1G because the B12 is not the B1G and never has not ever will be with its current compositin of schools.but the B1G could pick off any non-NC (or ND) school that it wanted. The SEC has this ability as well, but I'm not sure it has the motivation at the B1G does.

But with this crisis the ACChas an opportunity: have Clemson and FSU drive the decision-making on the 14th member--if it means sacrificing academics and the more natural footprint for football, bring in louisville instead of UConn.

Get Notre Dame to add (at least) one more game to show their commitment to the league. Maybe add Navy as football only with Gtown bball to do so.

This isn't a death blow nor does it necessarily suggest that one is coming. But it does require the ACC to act proactively. Again.

Those concerns are legitimate. Hjs is retarded.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:37 am

According to the Maryland 247 board decision to leave had been reached announcement at 3. Take fwiw.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby HJS on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:38 am

"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:39 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:According to the Maryland 247 board decision to leave had been reached announcement at 3. Take fwiw.

ESPN reports the move was unanimously approved
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:43 am

Maryland, although convienient for road games for me for so many reasons, is probably my least favorite fan base in the conference. But yes, I wait word from FSU's loud-mouthed, facts-be-damned BOT guy.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby whalepants on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:45 am

ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Eventually (five year, ten years, who knows) this will lead to a Super League. 60+ teams that throw the traditions and restrictions of the NCAA behind. At that time BC will have to make a decision: do we want to be a University that happens to own a minor league sports franchise or do we want to go back down a path where we play "college" sports (call this the Holy Cross option). Until then all this conference shuffling doesn't mean much. Will BC still bring in TV money? Yes. Will we be able to watch BC play decent teams? Yes. If BC is good will we have access to a championship playoff? Yes. Until Super League time, access and money is all that matters.

BC FOOTBALL 2020
Sept 3 Harvard
Sept 10 @ Fordham
Sept 17 @ Villanova
Sept 24 Georgetown
Oct 1 Marist
Oct 8 @Army
Oct 22 @Dartmouth
Oct 29 Duquesne
Nov 5 VMI
Nov 12 Sacred Heart
Nov 19 @ Holy Cross
whalepants
Carney Hall

Postby Walsh601 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:45 am

This type of vote is always unanimous. ATL put it best: Bates should be on the phone to the B1G like now.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:46 am

Yawn. Shitty school, shitty program, shitty state.

The amount of consternation on this board over who is going to be in what conference is laugh out loud funny.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby Walsh601 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:48 am

Also, nothing to back this up, but I get the feeling this all about ND. The B1G feels spurned, and by destabilizing the ACC they plan on leaving ND no choice but to come crawling back.
Walsh601
Carney Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:52 am

Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby hinghameagle on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:06 am

I agree with most everything posted here, and here are my thoughts.

1. nobody cares about losing Maryland.

2. Everybody cares about others foolowing suit

3. If true, I hate the fact that Rutgers is getting a huge financial windfall out of this.

4. We all thought Bates first signature moment was going to be the hiring of a new football coach. He needs to be reaching out to all conferences right now to see where everybody stands. He may get lip service, but he needs to make the calls.

5. Rutgers to the B10 and Uconn to the ACC was out worst nightmare 12 months ago.

6. Maryland hoop fans are going to hate this. they need their games against Duke.

7. tough for BC foootball to lsoe the only priogram that may be more screwed up then them.

8. how tough will Swoffy be in the exit fee and when he allows them to leave.

9. ND is not coming to the ACC. not now. ACC is vulnerable. There will be thousnads of rumors after today about FSU talking to the SEC, Clemson as well and GT. ND has the ACC by the short hairs right now and any deal the ACC would make with them for full membership right now would be incredibly one sided.
hinghameagle
Carney Hall

Postby Endless Mike on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:07 am

whalepants {l Wrote}:
ATLeagle {l Wrote}:Eventually (five year, ten years, who knows) this will lead to a Super League. 60+ teams that throw the traditions and restrictions of the NCAA behind. At that time BC will have to make a decision: do we want to be a University that happens to own a minor league sports franchise or do we want to go back down a path where we play "college" sports (call this the Holy Cross option). Until then all this conference shuffling doesn't mean much. Will BC still bring in TV money? Yes. Will we be able to watch BC play decent teams? Yes. If BC is good will we have access to a championship playoff? Yes. Until Super League time, access and money is all that matters.

BC FOOTBALL 2020
Sept 3 Harvard
Sept 10 @ Fordham
Sept 17 @ Villanova
Sept 24 Georgetown
Oct 1 Marist
Oct 8 @Army
Oct 22 @Dartmouth
Oct 29 Duquesne
Nov 5 VMI
Nov 12 Sacred Heart
Nov 19 @ Holy Cross

Welcome back!

Here are my predictions:

Sept 3 Harvard ---L
Sept 10 @ Fordham --W
Sept 17 @ Villanova --L
Sept 24 Georgetown --W
Oct 1 Marist --W
Oct 8 @Army --L
Oct 22 @Dartmouth --W
Oct 29 Duquesne --W
Nov 5 VMI --W
Nov 12 Sacred Heart --W
Nov 19 @ Holy Cross --L
Endless Mike
Lyons Hall

Postby Mod34b on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:12 am

whalepants {l Wrote}:

BC FOOTBALL 2020
Sept 3 Harvard
Sept 10 @ Fordham
Sept 17 @ Villanova
Sept 24 Georgetown
Oct 1 Marist
Oct 8 @Army
Oct 22 @Dartmouth
Oct 29 Duquesne
Nov 5 VMI
Nov 12 Sacred Heart
Nov 19 @ Holy Cross

Good one!

Actually very similar to BC's 1954 Schedule

BC 1954 Schedule (8-1) (guess who we lsot to?)

Detroit Mercy
Temple
Virginia Military Institute
Fordham
Springfield
Xavier
Marquette
Boston University
Holy Cross

or perhaps the 1955 Schedule

Brandeis
Villanova
Detroit Mercy
Marquette
Xavier
Miami
Boston University
Holy Cross
Mod34b

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:16 am

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:Image

post of the month EXALT :kudos +4 :lol: :laugh

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby Mod34b on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:19 am

hinghameagle {l Wrote}:I agree with most everything posted here, and here are my thoughts.

1. nobody cares about losing Maryland.

2. Everybody cares about others foolowing suit

3. If true, I hate the fact that Rutgers is getting a huge financial windfall out of this.

4. We all thought Bates first signature moment was going to be the hiring of a new football coach. He needs to be reaching out to all conferences right now to see where everybody stands. He may get lip service, but he needs to make the calls.

5. Rutgers to the B10 and Uconn to the ACC was out worst nightmare 12 months ago.

6. Maryland hoop fans are going to hate this. they need their games against Duke.

7. tough for BC foootball to lsoe the only priogram that may be more screwed up then them.

8. how tough will Swoffy be in the exit fee and when he allows them to leave.

9. ND is not coming to the ACC. not now. ACC is vulnerable. There will be thousnads of rumors after today about FSU talking to the SEC, Clemson as well and GT. ND has the ACC by the short hairs right now and any deal the ACC would make with them for full membership right now would be incredibly one sided.

As to #4, I doubt Bates has enough gravitas to make any meaningful calls.

As for RU, RU is and aways will be RU. They are not going to trasnform into a PSU (the good PSU) or tOSU or any school that has a football pride. It is the nature of the RU beast. They really do not belong in the B1G.
Mod34b

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:22 am

1. swofford better collect the 50 million dollars
2. BC to B1G would be the absolute dumbest move ever... we have NOTHING in common with those schools
3. Duke and the rest of the ACC better never play them in basketball again... TRADERS!
4. ND wants to preserve the status quo... they will concede something to the ACC in order to prevent the 4-16 team MEGAVOLTRON conferences from happening
5. rutgers moving to the big whatever will guarantee their return to their former pathetic self during the big east days

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:28 am

hansen {l Wrote}:3. Duke and the rest of the ACC better never play them in basketball again... TRADERS!

I know there's a level of snark in there, but the ACC-B1G Challenge makes this a rather difficult proposition.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:30 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
hansen {l Wrote}:3. Duke and the rest of the ACC better never play them in basketball again... TRADERS!

I know there's a level of snark in there, but the ACC-B1G Challenge makes this a rather difficult proposition.

You could line them up agains Pitt, the Cuse, the Dome or Yukon.
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:31 am

Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Fake the standings then?
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby Fire Spaz on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:33 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:
Fire Spaz {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

Fake the standings then?

Not fake so much as a "bowl selection criteria" sort of assignment.
Fire Spaz
McGuinn Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:33 am

It would be funny (to me at least) if the Big 10 gets less money in their next round of negotiations. Considering the U.S. is consistently on the brink of recession these days, it could very well happen.

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby eagle216 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:34 am

whalepants {l Wrote}:

BC FOOTBALL 2020
Sept 3 Harvard
Sept 10 @ Fordham
Sept 17 @ Villanova
Sept 24 Georgetown
Oct 1 Marist
Oct 8 @Army
Oct 22 @Dartmouth
Oct 29 Duquesne
Nov 5 VMI
Nov 12 Sacred Heart
Nov 19 @ Holy Cross

Thursday night football all year long????
eagle216
Campion Hall

Postby hansen on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:35 am

pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

End the association.

B1G basketball needs the ACC more than the ACC needs B1G. :bringit

hansen
Gasson Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:38 am

hansen {l Wrote}:
pick6pedro {l Wrote}:

End the association.

B1G basketball needs the ACC more than the ACC needs B1G. :bringit

You sound like a disgruntled NNNNNNNNNNNBE fan.
pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

PreviousNext

Return to Alumni Stadium