Commits/Recruiting

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Commits/Recruiting

Postby BCEaglesFan on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:50 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:Decent for a walk-on. We need another 2013 guard

This guy could fill some, not all of the minutes JD left, according to Hoff. He's probably a more talented John Cahill. Also, they could move Heck to the 2 and put Owens in there for some minutes as well.

Boston College scored a steal in their 2013 recruiting class on Sunday and it didn't even cost them a scholarship.

Northfield Mount Hermon senior guard Sam Donahue made a verbal commitment to accept a spot as a recruited walk-on for next year's Eagles team.

"B.C. has always been my dream school," Donahue told the New England Recruiting Report. "I really liked the coaches, I love Boston, and it's a great fit for me academically."

Donahue's first season at NMH was a tremendously successful one last year as he worked his way into the team's starting line-up, helped lead them to their NEPSAC championship, and tied a school record with 96 three-pointers on the year.

The sharp-shooting guard began his career at Stonington High School and has been a staple of the Rhode Island Hawks AAU program over the years, culminating with a starring performance at July's Live in A.C. event.

Donahue saw recruitment from a variety of scholarship level schools before ultimately deciding to accept the spot on Boston College's team.

"I never thought I'd get this opportunity," he said, "and at least I know I'm going to have an opportunity to show what I can do."
Last edited by BCEaglesFan on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:51 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEagles25 {l Wrote}:Hanlan and Rahon's obvious talent reaffirms my confidence in the Steve's ability to recruit without Joe Jones.

Meh, I guess so, Hope no one gets hurt

I do think they each look better than the shirtless boy sites would suggest. But I'd be a ridiculous hypocrite if I said their play one game is a significant factor in determining Donahue's recruiting ability.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby NJM89 on Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:47 pm

NJM89
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:18 am

Both BC recruits will be at the National Prep Showcase in New Haven, CT this weekend.

Sam Donahue and NMH will be playing at 5:15pm and Garland Owens and Massannutten play at 8:30pm on Friday.

Owens also plays at 2:45 on Saturday and Donahue plays again at 1:30 on Sunday.

Also, many NE guys have called Donahue to BC as a "steal" at least for a walk-on.
Follow me on twitter at @BeantownSports4 and at my new youtube channel BCEaglesHighlights http://www.youtube.com/user/BCEaglesHig ... ature=mhee
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:41 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:Both BC recruits will be at the National Prep Showcase in New Haven, CT this weekend.

Sam Donahue and NMH will be playing at 5:15pm and Garland Owens and Massannutten play at 8:30pm on Friday.

Owens also plays at 2:45 on Saturday and Donahue plays again at 1:30 on Sunday.

Also, many NE guys have called Donahue to BC as a "steal" at least for a walk-on.

Yeah, this Donahue kid seems like a great pick up when you don't have to burn a scholarship. From what I have seen, he can shoot.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Nov 14, 2012 5:48 pm

Owens signed his LOI today
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:17 pm

781 {l Wrote}:Donahue is a IVY League caliber guard but with that said if Donahue can utilize him the right way then we're looking at the best outside shooter since Sean Marshall. But Donahue is an even better shooter than Marshall but can't create his own shot of the dribble. i like this pick up as a walk on. Comes from a long line of brothers that are known for shooting. Their mom spent endless nights with them on their jumpshot.

I was very drunk for several of those years so I may be wrong, but I recall Marshall being a subpar outside shooter who was prone to getting hot only every once in a while.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Nov 14, 2012 6:47 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
781 {l Wrote}:Donahue is a IVY League caliber guard but with that said if Donahue can utilize him the right way then we're looking at the best outside shooter since Sean Marshall. But Donahue is an even better shooter than Marshall but can't create his own shot of the dribble. i like this pick up as a walk on. Comes from a long line of brothers that are known for shooting. Their mom spent endless nights with them on their jumpshot.

I was very drunk for several of those years so I may be wrong, but I recall Marshall being a subpar outside shooter who was prone to getting hot only every once in a while.

I went back and looked at the stats. He was in the mid 30's percentage wise, with one year where he shot 38%. Not terrible. Forgot how bad a FT shooter he was. Looking back at the game by game stats, I almost cried remembering: (1) how much fun it used to be to watch BC basketball; and (2) how badly I wanted to kill :seanwilliams for getting kicked off that team that was coming together to make a huge end of season run.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:07 pm

2001Eagle {l Wrote}:
2001Eagle {l Wrote}:

I went back and looked at the stats. He was in the mid 30's percentage wise, with one year where he shot 38%. Not terrible. Forgot how bad a FT shooter he was. Looking back at the game by game stats, I almost cried remembering: (1) how much fun it used to be to watch BC basketball; and (2) how badly I wanted to kill :seanwilliams for getting kicked off that team that was coming together to make a huge end of season run.

I'm still saying that we'll be back to that level by next year.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby joemack13 on Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:08 pm

So who is still an option for 2013? From the look of it we need 1 more guy
joemack13
Campion Hall

Postby Brablc on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:02 pm

joemack13 {l Wrote}:So who is still an option for 2013? From the look of it we need 1 more guy

Well remember we're adding Owens and Dragonevich (as well as Sam Donahue) to this team next year and subtracting Van Ness. Saying that I would love 1) another big that can bang inside and rebound and / or 2) ball handler (maybe Jorgensen) for next year.
Brablc
McGuinn Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:51 pm

We could even recruit two more players in 2013 and the chances are we would still have 2-3 slots open for 2014. If Anderson continues to improve, he may have the opportunity to go pro a year early and pull a Reggie. Between that and either Heckmann, Odio, or Caudill transferring, I think it is likely we have at least one more scholarship open up for the 2014 recruiting class.

That being said we need talent! So far I have really liked Donahue's recent recruits: Hanlan, Rahon, and Owens. We need to continue to recruit who Donahue believes to be ACC players.

HJS preempt: I have changed my stance.
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby bluefishskip on Sat Nov 17, 2012 6:28 pm

according to Garland Owens' twitter.....BC just offered Rashard Kelly (2013, 6-5 SF from Massannutan (sp?) Military Academy in VA)
bluefishskip
Carney Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sat Nov 17, 2012 8:11 pm

bluefishskip {l Wrote}:according to Garland Owens' twitter.....BC just offered Rashard Kelly (2013, 6-5 SF from Massannutan (sp?) Military Academy in VA)

They had interest in him before...wonder how he fits. Seems to be another prep guy trying to raise his stock. He's 2014.

According to scout, he had interest from Rutgers, UMass and Delaware.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby 781 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:05 pm

Please tell me I have a witness in Connecticut right now watching Garland Owens play? He's not a high major player at all. Donahue failed on this one. He can't put the ball on the floor or shoot. Has made one field goal all weekend
n00b

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:57 pm

781 {l Wrote}:Please tell me I have a witness in Connecticut right now watching Garland Owens play? He's not a high major player at all. Donahue failed on this one. He can't put the ball on the floor or shoot. Has made one field goal all weekend

I think it says something if Seton Hall AND BC offered him on the spot when they saw him in an open gym.

Guy at the Showcase texted me that he hasn't scored much but he shut down a top-100 prospect on defense.

He also said Sam Donahue caught fire in his first game.
Last edited by BCEaglesFan on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 9:59 pm

Owens is supposed to be a project offensively. I expect him to help on defense a lot.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:01 pm

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
781 {l Wrote}:Please tell me I have a witness in Connecticut right now watching Garland Owens play? He's not a high major player at all. Donahue failed on this one. He can't put the ball on the floor or shoot. Has made one field goal all weekend

I think it says something if Seton Hall AND BC offered him on the spot when they saw him in an open gym.

Guy at the Showcase texted me that he hasn't scored much but he shut down a top-100 prospect on defense.

He also said Sam Donahue caught fire in his first game.

Right. Super athlete who's a little raw offensively. This team could use a few of those.
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:23 pm

Excuse me, Kelly is 2013 according to Owens.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby MattTheEagle on Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Kelly is an athlete and we need a few more players. Particularly considering Kelly is a 2013 player and could probably contribute right away, I like this offer a lot and hope Kelly joins.

I also strongly disagree with the critics who don't think Owens will be an ACC player. Garland Owens game needs to be polished, but Donahue is about as good as it gets for developing his players. He also seems highly coachable which is important. I have a feeling that Garland is going to be really special at BC. With the exception of Reggie Jackson, Owens will be the most athletic player to put on a BC uniform over the last 5 or so years. :angrychicken
MattTheEagle
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:20 am

People that look at Owens and don't like what they see are clueless. His mere athleticism alone brings this horribly unathletic team up a notch.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:35 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:People that look at Owens and don't like what they see are clueless. His mere athleticism alone brings this horribly unathletic team up a notch.

If they add Rashard Kelly to that mix they add more athleticism (he's a teammate of Owens)
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Nov 18, 2012 7:40 am

A strong athletic wing, Kelly has all the physical intangibles you want in a player. The 6’5” wing can elevate with the best of them. He threw down a couple alley-oops throughout the day and did so with ease. The Bishop O’Connell product is also a great rebounder for his position, as he uses his jumping ability and strength to simply overpower his opponents. Offensively, Kelly likes to attack the rim with force and is usually effective in doing so, but sometimes will be out of control and either lose the ball or commit an offensive foul. He could really benefit from developing a short pull up jumper or floater in the lane to prevent these turnovers. I saw him knock down a couple outside jumpers, but he also passed up a few, which tells me it is not consistent yet. If Kelly can become a proven shooter from the outside and improve his decision making in the lane, then he could develop into a big time prospect. The potential is there. He told me that Northeastern, University of Richmond, and William and Mary are on him now.

This was from May. Sounds like he and Owens are similar prospects.
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:21 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:People that look at Owens and don't like what they see are clueless. His mere athleticism alone brings this horribly unathletic team up a notch.

Read 781s projection that Owens is a similar prospect to Marquez Haynes then never read anything else he posts again.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:21 am

Read 781s projection that Owens is a similar prospect to Marquez Haynes then never read anything else he posts again.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby eepstein0 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:27 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I'd prefer a ball handler instead of Kelly but I'll defer to the staff.

I've actually been very pleased once the recruits actually play (Rahon for instance). We still need a PF
eepstein0
Gasson Hall

Postby BCEaglesFan on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:51 am

eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I've actually been very pleased once the recruits actually play (Rahon for instance). We still need a PF

Odio has been pretty good as a backup.

Kelly can play a little PF
BCEaglesFan
Campion Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:00 am

BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I'm fine with both of those assessments on the coaching side - Odio is definitely improved. I think eepstein's point is that while it is great that we can patchwork players behind Anderson and Clifford, it would nicer to just go recruit on that fits perfectly.
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby eagle9903 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:24 am

twballgame9 {l Wrote}:
BCEaglesFan {l Wrote}:
eepstein0 {l Wrote}:
eagle9903 {l Wrote}:

I'm fine with both of those assessments on the coaching side - Odio is definitely improved. I think eepstein's point is that while it is great that we can patchwork players behind Anderson and Clifford, it would nicer to just go recruit on that fits perfectly.

It would be nice to have some different looks to for different matchups.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Sun Nov 18, 2012 11:44 am

That said, I am also a fan of taking the best player available. I would prefer a coach take a talent he believes in that might be redundant over a player in whom he does not believe because he plays a position of need. So even though I think BC needs a PF desperately, if Kelly is good, take him. Good coaches can adjust, and the Dayton debacle notwithstanding, Don has proven he can coach.
twballgame9
BC Guy

PreviousNext

Return to Conte Forum