Season Opener

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Season Opener

Postby claver2010 on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:43 am

BC starts the season at Matthews Saturday night, I'll have more on NU later in the week but they play their opener tonight hosting Merrimack.

There were several articles in the Globe & Herald today.

Great article on leadership, Mullane, and desire to repeat
http://www.boston.com/sports/colleges/mens-hockey/2012/10/09/aiming-for-repeat-hockey-champions/P1U09KZX7OczgB94KMhjxM/story.html

Article on Milner fighting through struggles last year & his historic run
http://bostonherald.com/sports/college/hockey/view/20221010puckstopshere_bcs_milner_wants_more_following_banner_run/
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Re: Season Opener

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:59 am

Stream for the game if people get bored of watching FSU go up and down the field on us..

http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/northeastern.portal?mode=link&eventId=62102&broadcastType=video#
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby vegasEagle on Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:21 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Stream for the game if people get bored of watching FSU go up and down the field on us..

http://client.stretchinternet.com/client/northeastern.portal?mode=link&eventId=62102&broadcastType=video#

Excellent. Thank you. I'd appreciate more posts like this as the season goes on. I can only get the games on cbscollege and nbcsportschannel out here in vegas so these links will be great for me. Thanks again.
2020 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
2021 E.O. PICK EM CHAMPION
vegasEagle
Campion Hall

Postby AdamBC on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:53 am

Looking forward to seeing the team in person. Not a fan of the NU mongoloids, but willing to brave the mouthbreathers to see a team that can win. Hockey season starts!
AdamBC
Cushing Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:01 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Stream for the game if people get bored of watching FSU go up and down the field on us..

ty
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:23 pm

No problem, the quality is very, very good it being free makes it even better

Edit: HEre are the notes for tonight: http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/bc/sports/m-hockey/auto_pdf/2012-13/release/release.pdf including stats from the 19 game win streak which are mind numbing
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:18 pm

Hayes-Arnold-Straight, Gaudreau-Mullane-Whitney, Smith-Sit-Linell, Dyroff-Brown-Silk.
Doherty-Wey, Matheson-Alber, MacLeod-Sullivan.

Parker Milner gets the start in goal.

Watch for the pairings as the game progresses. Might go down to 4 if it's tight in the 3rd (MacLeod-Wey & Matheson-Alber)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby wolverineneshl on Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Didn't see that many quality chances by BC tonight. NU played really good defense and limited BC most of the night. They need to gel and develop depth from the 3rd and 4th line. Milner let in a softy on the 3rd NU goal, a slapshot from outside the blue line and Sullivan turning the puck over in his end led to another one. I sat in the NU end and able to see BC shoot on the NU net for 2 of 3 periods. Hopefully with time and as the season progresses BC will improve in all phases of the game like last season.
wolverineneshl
McGuinn Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:43 am

Given I have no idea what the game turned out to be but it will be interesting to see a team that will have to form around a strong goalie and a weak backline. I'm hoping the backline will develop naturally, and there is still plenty of time for that but it is just different compared to the last at least 5-6 years, where we always had at least one or two older guys who you knew would steady the line (Brennan and Cross come immediately to mind). Defense is the hardest position to learn since it's based so much on instincts and, while I very much like Wey and his physical play, he just doesn't strike me in the same way that Brennan or Cross does. I feel like he lacks that steadying quality but I do have good confidence that he can get there, especially since he is the first defenseman since Petrecki that has a legit mean streak. Hopefully that doesn't mean any headbutting but I'm hopeful he can at least grow into that Breannan role. A loss isn't bad right now. If we're still losing in January/Febraury/Trophy Season, well then I'll be worried. Having a legitimately competent goalie in there (sorry Muse, but you're basically a Tippett-esque goalie...that fucking glove hand) further drives my thought. Soar Eagles soar.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:52 am

Several (ok more than several) thoughts:

For some reason we always start slow at Matthews. I bet if you look back the past couple of years, our first period GF/GA would be brutal.
The first 10 minutes was not BC hockey. Granted shots aren't your best barometer but 2 shots in 10 minutes. The final 6ish minutes of that period were much better.
I think York should break up the 1st line. It's our best line by far but right now we're not getting enough offense from the other 3. The key will be holding the fort as the FR on D get up to speed and the now SO 3rd liners develop more of a scoring touch. They're providing pressure but not that extra attack.
Too many give aways leading to odd man rushes, granted NU didn't capitalize, it's still not good.
FR D need to bulk up and clear the shit out of infront of Milner
Was thrilled to see Mullane & Arnold step in after some NU knuckledragger took a run at Whitney as time expired.
Going to be interesting to see how Brown/Dyroff react to more PT.

Individually:
Matheson is the real deal. On the point for the first unit, the lone D in the extra attacker. Steady, very good puck movement, needs to use his shot more.
I hear what you say on Wey. They're going to lean on him a lot to absorb the Dumoulin/Cross minutes and he doesn't have the history of health. Hopefully he can take that next step.
Mullane needs to shoot more, but it's been that way for a couple of years now.
Didn't realize how big Silk is.
Loved Grav's HFB call. That was comical. Only to be topped by after a give away at the BC blue line, NU player had the puck, not a clear path but maybe a third of a stride infront of a BC dman, goes down and a hook is called. Unreal, Louganis would've been proud.

Personally, I hate going to Matthews, I just don't see the appeal. I appreciate the history but it's a brutal place to see a game.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:17 am

One of NU's bigger recruits from this FR class, Cam Darcy has left school. He hasn't produced much yet on the ice for them.

Several notes:
1) USHR says: Struggles on the ice and in the classroom caused this departure.

2) CHN says: As of right now, Darcy plans on transferring to another school, sources say. Too early to speculate on potential suitors right now. @MikeMcMahonCHN

His recruitment was interesting as he originally committed to Cronin, decommitted after Cronin left (rumored that BC/BU gave a quick look), recommitted to NU and coach Madigan, then left 2 months into school.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Return to Kelley Rink