Recruits doing well

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

Re: Recruits doing well

Postby claver2010 on Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:52 pm

Day 2 update:

Chris Calnan went 79th overall to Chicago (they love BC forwards recently)

Adam Gilmour (will arrive at BC next year) went 98th to Minnesota

Interestingly, Vatrano was not selected
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:15 pm

Loved hearing Maguire gush about BC when Matheson was selected. He said to the effect "when you draft a kid who is out of Boston College you are getting a high character, intelligent kid who will pay the price and out work everyone to improve." Also said there were 25 guys who played in the NHL this year from BC. I can think of 19 off the top of my head, but that is simply retardedly unfair. God bless Coach Champion, I hope he coaches until he is 100.
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:06 am

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:Loved hearing Maguire gush about BC when Matheson was selected. He said to the effect "when you draft a kid who is out of Boston College you are getting a high character, intelligent kid who will pay the price and out work everyone to improve." Also said there were 25 guys who played in the NHL this year from BC. I can think of 19 off the top of my head, but that is simply retardedly unfair. God bless Coach Champion, I hope he coaches until he is 100.

Pierre is absolutely in love with York and the program.

He kept gushing about Kreider's development in 3 years at BC which was exactly what an NHL team could want. He came in with excellent tools (obviously speed, shot was coming along, etc) but he was able to refine his game and build the necessary strength to instantly jump into one of the biggest pressure cookers (playoffs in NY) and perform.

Word out of UVM is their super recruit (stud, ool), Girgensons (went #14 to the Sabres), isn't attending. That's why you have to be so careful when you are targetting top players (like Matheson) to make sure they're 110% coming to BC.

Edit: As for the # of players from BC, here's the list the characters on USCHO came up with:

1) Orpik
2) Alberts
3) Kreider
4) Hayes
5) Smith
6) Scuderi
7) Boyle
8) Harrold
9) Clemmensen
10) Schneider
11) Kolanos
12) Reasoner
13) Shannon
14) Ferriero
15) Sneep
16) Atkinson
17) Gerbe
18) B. Gionta
19) S. Gionta
20) Mottau
21) Kobasew
22) Eaves

23 if you include Lovejoy
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby bignick33 on Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:27 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:Word out of UVM is their super recruit (stud, ool), Girgensons (went #14 to the Sabres), isn't attending. That's why you have to be so careful when you are targetting top players (like Matheson) to make sure they're 110% coming to BC.

Edit: As for the # of players from BC, here's the list the characters on USCHO came up with:

Gigensons hasn't been planning to attend UVM for some time. I'm not sure if he is even qualified. Word is that both the Bruins and Flyers coveted him somewhat and expressed interest in acquiring Buffalo's pick (#12) until Grigorenko fell into the Sabres' hands. Toronto actually toyed with taking him at 5.
I drink whiskey instead of water.
bignick33
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:34 am

As expected, Sam Piazza was pushed back to 2013. He missed much of the USHL season battling a concussion.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:57 am

bignick33 {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:Word out of UVM is their super recruit (stud, ool), Girgensons (went #14 to the Sabres), isn't attending. That's why you have to be so careful when you are targetting top players (like Matheson) to make sure they're 110% coming to BC.

Gigensons hasn't been planning to attend UVM for some time. I'm not sure if he is even qualified. Word is that both the Bruins and Flyers coveted him somewhat and expressed interest in acquiring Buffalo's pick (#12) until Grigorenko fell into the Sabres' hands. Toronto actually toyed with taking him at 5.

As expected he isn't attending UVM in the fall
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:08 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:There's talk of Kevin Roy, the USHL Player of the Year who had the most points in over 2 decades opening up his recruitment. He was a Brown commit but absolutely blew up this year. BC & BU have been mentioned but I don't think we have the scholarship space.

http://ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=1049

I thought we could just make space in Hockey.

Can we put him on a football schollie, we aren't using them for anything important anyway.

Roy did decommit from Brown but the kid says he's not coming to BC. Someone on TOS says NU is the favorite.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:29 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:
claver2010 {l Wrote}:There's talk of Kevin Roy, the USHL Player of the Year who had the most points in over 2 decades opening up his recruitment. He was a Brown commit but absolutely blew up this year. BC & BU have been mentioned but I don't think we have the scholarship space.

http://ushl.com/news.php?action=detail&news_id=1049

I thought we could just make space in Hockey.

Can we put him on a football schollie, we aren't using them for anything important anyway.

Roy did decommit from Brown but the kid says he's not coming to BC. Someone on TOS says NU is the favorite.

Why would you want to come to the best hockey school in the country and win a NC? You can only play one shift at a time no matter where you go. Johnny G. almost went to NU also, I think he made the right decision.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:33 am

Claver, how are we looking between the pipes after Milner is gone?
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby claver2010 on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:02 am

DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Claver, how are we looking between the pipes after Milner is gone?

To be honest, I'm not sure.

Much of the staffs action in the type of goalie they bring in next year will depend on what they think of Brad Barone. Can he be the starter in a couple of years if Billett stumbles or is he nothing more than a 3rd goalie? He never even dressed last year so only the staff knows based upon what they've seen in practice.

Last year, BC carried 4 goalies which is very unusual. Right now we have the luxury of having a big time recruit in Brian Billet on the bench behind Milner. Based off of Milner's 2010-11 campaign and Billett, I predicted it would be Billett's job by January and was I wrong. During our midseason swoon Billett got several starts and the most impressive were his first several, @ Yale (2 GA, 31 saves), @ BU (1 GA, 40 saves), PC (1 GA, 16 saves).

2013-14:
Billett JR
Barone JR
FR
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:17 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:
DuchesneEast {l Wrote}:Claver, how are we looking between the pipes after Milner is gone?

To be honest, I'm not sure.

Much of the staffs action in the type of goalie they bring in next year will depend on what they think of Brad Barone. Can he be the starter in a couple of years if Billett stumbles or is he nothing more than a 3rd goalie? He never even dressed last year so only the staff knows based upon what they've seen in practice.

Last year, BC carried 4 goalies which is very unusual. Right now we have the luxury of having a big time recruit in Brian Billet on the bench behind Milner. Based off of Milner's 2010-11 campaign and Billett, I predicted it would be Billett's job by January and was I wrong. During our midseason swoon Billett got several starts and the most impressive were his first several, @ Yale (2 GA, 31 saves), @ BU (1 GA, 40 saves), PC (1 GA, 16 saves).

2013-14:
Billett JR
Barone JR
FR

Thanks, so hard to judge from the recruiting sites and I have no idea about the level of competition and the defenses in front of the recruits.
DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby pick6pedro on Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:08 am

pick6pedro
Fulton Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:11 pm

BC got a goalie commit tonight thanks to the bc hockey blog @bchockeyblog1

BREAKING- BC has received a commitment from Chris Birdsall, a goalie from New Jersey. Birdsall is a 1996 birthday

He's going to play for Cedar Rapids of the USHL this year, from Glenrock NJ
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby RedBaron67 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:40 pm

claver2010 {l Wrote}:BC got a goalie commit tonight thanks to the bc hockey blog @bchockeyblog1

BREAKING- BC has received a commitment from Chris Birdsall, a goalie from New Jersey. Birdsall is a 1996 birthday

He's going to play for Cedar Rapids of the USHL this year, from Glenrock NJ

Birdsall (who hasn't turned 16 yet) was in the Czech Republic last week playing for the USA U-17 Select Team in an international tournament. At Cedar Rapids, he'll be the youngest goalie in the USHL. He looks like a very promising recruit.

8/16: Heisenberg now has Birdsall listed as a BC commit for 2015.
RedBaron67
Campion Hall

Postby claver2010 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:22 am

York grabbed another one, Joey Dudek (the name will probably sound familiar for some of the older folk)

He projects to a 2014 or 15 arrival, currently plays at Kimball Union Academy 21g 34a 55pts as a freshman in 24 games

Here's a little from USHR's article, "The Rich Get Richer"

USHR was told that BC head coach Jerry York made the trip to the Five Nations Tournament in Chomutov, Czech Republic earlier this month to make a decision on two promising prospects on the undefeated U.S. Under-17 Selects: Dudek and goatender Chris Birdsall. The trip was worthwhile, as both will be suiting up for the Eagles. When you string together the success that BC has had recently ? i.e., four of the last 11 national championships -- you pretty much have the luxury of picking the players you want. And BC is certainly cashing in on their position of power.

At June's Select 16 Festival in Rochester, NY we ranked Dudek #17 among forwards after he posted an impressive 4-4-8 scoring line. After the Festival a batch of schools tried to get into the mix for the New England district's top forward, but in the end it came down to BC, UNH,
Maine and Brown. While it was difficult for the son of Plymouth State Heisman finalist and NFLer Joe Dudek Sr. to pass on staying home and playing at UNH, BC's string of success was simply too enticing.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Dick Rosenthal on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:43 pm

What the heck, why not Dudek?
Dick Rosenthal
Higgins Hall

Postby BostonCollege1 on Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:24 pm

Dick Rosenthal {l Wrote}:What the heck, why not Dudek?

Love it.

BTW, if you haven't seen Plymouth State's new rink, it's a (small) gem. Took in a game there 2 winters ago. The level of competition in D3 is pretty good; speed and especially, size, are the big differentiators.
BostonCollege1
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:23 am

Here's an article on the goalie commit Birdsall:

http://www.northjersey.com/sports/167284655_Birdsall_commits_to_play_hockey_at_Boston_College.html

Birdsall commits to play hockey at Boston College
Friday, August 24, 2012
BY JIM JONES
SPORTS EDITOR EMERITUS
Glen Rock Gazette

Chris Birdsall, the star hockey goalie from Glen Rock, has committed to play college hockey at Boston College, the No. 1 college team in the country. He is currently in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where he is playing for the RoughRiders, one of the best junior hockey teams in the country.

Birdsall recently starred for the U.S. Under-17 team that won the Five Nations Tournament in Chomutov, Czech Republic, defeating teams from Germany, Switzerland and the host country. He played on the Glen Rock High School varsity team as a freshman last winter and for the North Jersey Avalanche U-16 team.

He had one shutout and stopped 54 of the 58 shots he faced in the Five Nations Tournament. Boston College head coach Jerry York was in attendance at the tournament. The BC Eagles won the NCAA tournament and were named the No. 1 team in the nation again this year.

Birdsall, 5-11 and 160 pounds, is regarded as technically sound, strong positionally and extremely competitive, with an aggressive style. He is a player who likes to make himself bigger by challenging shooters.

Mark Carlson, president, head coach and general manager of the Rough Riders, said, "We are happy for Chris that he has had an excellent Five Nations Tournament and on his commitment to Boston College."

The 15-year-old Birdsall is the youngest player on the RoughRiders and the youngest goalie in the United States Hockey League. He begins his sophomore year at Cedar Rapids' Washington High School.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 7:39 am

Ranked #7 class in the country for 2012 & #1 for 2013

http://thehockeyguys.net/the-2012-top-10-incoming-classes-in-college-hockey/

#7 Boston College (33-10-1)

USCHO.com Final Ranking: 1

Five Freshman Notables: Michael Matheson (D), Colin Sullivan (D), Frank Vatrano (F), Brendan Silk (F), Ted Doherty (D)

Boston College reloads after winning the National Championship last season with a very well rounded 2012 class. Michael Matheson improved mightily throughout last season and is good enough to make a huge impact for BC this season. Joining Matheson on the blue line will be 2011 seventh round pick Colin Sullivan and Ted Doherty. The two should see a steady dose of ice time with the Eagles losing three defensemen from last season. Frank Vatrano is very underrated and will enters this season with a chip on his shoulder after being passed on at the 2012 NHL Draft.

#1 Boston College

Five Freshman Notables: Steve Santini (D), Adam Gilmour (F), Chris Calnan (F), Ryan Fitzgerald (F), Austin Cangelosi (F)

The Skinny: Three of the five notables have already been drafted and two more could very easily be drafted in 2013.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby eagles78 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:31 pm

they like Northeastern's 2013 class , rank it #4 i believe, good for them
eagles78
n00b

Postby claver2010 on Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:52 pm

BC picked up another big time player for next year, Ian McCoshen D out of the USHL

The 2013 class was unfair before this pickup...

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/western-college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2012/11/9/3624320/ian-mccoshen-commits-to-boston-college

Ian McCoshen Commits to Boston College
+

By WCHBlog on Nov 9, 4:28p
Bruce Bennett
Top prospect Ian McCoshen has committed to Boston College.

Ian McCoshen, easily the top prospect still available to join next year's 2013 recruiting class ended his closely-followed recruitment today when it was announced that he had committed to play his college hockey at Boston College. North Dakota, Minnesota-Duluth, and Nebraska-Omaha were other schools rumored to be in the running for his services.

McCoshen is a 6'3" 207 lbs., physical, defensive defenseman, originally from Hudson, Wisconsin. After playing his bantam hockey at Shattuck St. Mary's alongside other top 2013 NHL Draft prospects such as Nathan MacKinnon, Connor Hurley, and Taylor Cammarata, he has played the past three seasons with the Waterloo Blackhawks of the USHL. He was the only '95 born player to be selected to represent the US at last year's World Jr. A Challenge, and missed out on an opportunity to win a gold medal a second time with that team this year after he was diagnosed with mononucleosis a week before the tournament. Current draft projections have him slotted to go somewhere between the late first round and early second round of this summer's NHL Draft.

It's obviously a huge recruiting coup for the Eagles, who have dominated the recruiting scene in the northeastern United States in recent years, leading to tremendous success on the ice. Adding McCoshen to an incoming group of recruits that already includes the NTDP's Steven Santini and Scott Savage gives the Eagles an extremely bright future as well.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby shockdoct on Sat Nov 10, 2012 1:51 am

claver2010 {l Wrote}:BC picked up another big time player for next year, Ian McCoshen D out of the USHL

The 2013 class was unfair before this pickup...

http://www.westerncollegehockeyblog.com/western-college-hockey-recruiting-ncaa/2012/11/9/3624320/ian-mccoshen-commits-to-boston-college

Ian McCoshen Commits to Boston College
+

By WCHBlog on Nov 9, 4:28p
Bruce Bennett
Top prospect Ian McCoshen has committed to Boston College.

Ian McCoshen, easily the top prospect still available to join next year's 2013 recruiting class ended his closely-followed recruitment today when it was announced that he had committed to play his college hockey at Boston College. North Dakota, Minnesota-Duluth, and Nebraska-Omaha were other schools rumored to be in the running for his services.

McCoshen is a 6'3" 207 lbs., physical, defensive defenseman, originally from Hudson, Wisconsin. After playing his bantam hockey at Shattuck St. Mary's alongside other top 2013 NHL Draft prospects such as Nathan MacKinnon, Connor Hurley, and Taylor Cammarata, he has played the past three seasons with the Waterloo Blackhawks of the USHL. He was the only '95 born player to be selected to represent the US at last year's World Jr. A Challenge, and missed out on an opportunity to win a gold medal a second time with that team this year after he was diagnosed with mononucleosis a week before the tournament. Current draft projections have him slotted to go somewhere between the late first round and early second round of this summer's NHL Draft.

It's obviously a huge recruiting coup for the Eagles, who have dominated the recruiting scene in the northeastern United States in recent years, leading to tremendous success on the ice. Adding McCoshen to an incoming group of recruits that already includes the NTDP's Steven Santini and Scott Savage gives the Eagles an extremely bright future as well.

The move from Shattuck to Juniors as a HS sophomore is quite impressive. Based on the description, probably looking at more of a Petrecki type player vs a Matheson.

Frankly, we have missed that type of toughness on the back line lately.
shockdoct
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:22 am

I think you read it right.

The team has picked it up, but it was something that was most certainly lacking since Petrecki left. Wey plays with a nice edge, but you need these Dmen to police out there.

Something interesting to watch is Matheson. Defensively, he isn't near where Dumoulin was as a FR but offensively he's pretty impressive, have to think he's going to be a constant flight risk going forward, but that's something to worry about later.

As I said, the 2013 class was already unfair, probably the most hyped class in memory and that was before a 1st round Dman was added
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:52 am

For some reason the nhl.com page won't load for me (fucking bettman) but Central Scouting Released their updated rankings, several 2013 commits:

USHL:
2 of top 4 players.
D Ian McCoshen (2)
D Steve Santini (4)

EJHL:
C Ryan Fitzgerald (B ranking which equates to 2nd/3rd rounder)
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby flyingelvii on Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:19 am

Seth Jones foreva, Nanthan McKinnon neva.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:04 pm

BC got a visit this weekend from Thatcher Demko who is considered the top '95 goalie in the country.

He turned 18 this weekend, not knowing the $$ situation I think he'd fit nicely in the 2013 class (i'll get into that below) but 2014 is a possibility as well. He's in the US NTDP after last year playing in the USHL at Omaha. They tied UNH (37 shots, 35 saves) and beat Merrimack (18 shots, 17 saves) this past weekend.

So for how the breakdown works, you may recall over the summer BC got a commit from a top goalie commit who projects to be class of 2015, here's why despite being very young I think he'd fit better next year.

2012-13
Milner: SR
Billet: SO
Barone: SO

2013-2014:
Billet: JR
Barone: JR

2014-2015:
Billet: SR
Barone: SR

2015-2016:
Birdsall: FR

Now, he might not be in love with coming in as #2 next year but with his age, getting adjusted would probably help and it would balance the goalie classes out nicely with a big time recruit every 2 years.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:30 pm

Thatcher Demko ‏@thatcher_hockey
Officially committed to play hockey for Boston College in 2013. Thank you to all my family and friends who have supported me! #Eagles

The 2013 class is unfair
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Salzano14 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:22 pm

Who says he would be coming in at a #2? I'd rather he just start as a freshman to be perfectly honest
I prefer hockey.
Salzano14
McGuinn Hall

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:03 pm

Based on his age & Billet's experience I think it's fair to say it will be Billet's job to lose to start. Demko will also be on the Kreider accelerated HS plan so he'll need some HS classes this summer to be eligible.

Looking forward to your breakdown of this year's class. It was absurd before York recently added a 1st round defenseman & the #1 goalie :chewbanka
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby claver2010 on Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:17 pm

BC Hockey Blog ‏@bchockeyblog1
Sam Piazza will not be attending Boston College next year per sources. He will continue his hockey career some place else.

He was battling some pretty serious concussion issues last year.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

PreviousNext