When did you stop supporting TOB? Jags? Spaz?

Forum rules
"The opinions expressed on this board are property of the poster and do not reflect the opinion of EagleOutsider, Boston College or Boston College Athletics"

When did you stop supporting TOB? Jags? Spaz?

Postby nerd on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:16 pm

1) TOB lost me as a supporter on October 16, 2004. Playing for overtime in the fourth quarter in Pittsburgh two years after losing to Pitt in overtime just pissed me off to no end.

2) N/A - was still a Jags fan when he was fired.

3) Spaz lost me as a supporter on October 10, 2009. I'm pretty sure that Spaz conceded the Clemson game before it even began a few weeks earlier. When he conceded the VaTech game before it began a few weeks later, that was enough for me.
nerd
Carney Hall

Re: When did you stop supporting TOB? Jags? Spaz?

Postby innocentbystander on Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:36 pm

nerd {l Wrote}:1) TOB lost me as a supporter on October 16, 2004. Playing for overtime in the fourth quarter in Pittsburgh two years after losing to Pitt in overtime just pissed me off to no end.

3) Spaz lost me as a supporter on October 10, 2009. I'm pretty sure that Spaz conceded the Clemson game before it even began a few weeks earlier. When he conceded the VaTech game before it began a few weeks later, that was enough for me.

:toby lost me @ Wake Forest in 2006

Jags lost me when he interviewed for the Jets job

:spaz2 lost me last year vs Duke
Feminism: Eve eats ALL the apples, gives God the middle finder when He confronts her, and has the serpent serve Adam with an injunction ordering him to stay away from her AND to provide her food and shelter because he dragged her out of the Garden.
innocentbystander
BC Guy

Postby DuchesneEast on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:01 pm

TOBy lost me sooooooo many times. After every awful lost, I regained hope and finally never regained. I wanted him fired earlier, but when he left Ryan on the bench during the UNC game I dont think I ever gave him another chance.

Jags never lost me, the Jets thing annoyed me but I would have forgave him. Losing to Vandy actually really pissed me off. No reason to lose that game except the let down of losing 2 straight ACC Championships.

Spaz probably lost me before this, but this was probably the back breaker, I was soooo pissed:

DuchesneEast
Lyons Hall

Postby tallsy on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:05 pm

Tough to define lost as a supporter. I mean, I hope Spaz turns it around this year.

1. Toby - The Syracuse game. Yes, there were bad games before but that was unacceptable. How they lost more than anything else.

2. Jagz - MCB. Yes, it was a meaningless game, but in college football (until 2013), meaningless matters, and it still will for recruiting. I could tell in my gut that something serious was wrong. The team looked uncoached.

3. Spaz. - Was never a huge fan of the hire. But ND in 2010 was the tipping point where I knew he wasn't going to get it done.
tallsy
McGuinn Hall

Postby HJS on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:30 pm

Great question.

For me, I was a big fan of TOB. I thought he built the program the right way. But, I think his coaching ceiling really started to show in 2001 (first with the benching of William Green against Miami) and then playing for what should've been a Gator Bowl invite against Cuse. We got throttled (and then the 7-1 Big East runner's up got screwed by Catlett who took an unranked VaTech team (with its 4-3 conference record)). In 2002, the Pitt game (10/26) showed the level of TOB's "play not to lose". BC took the lead with 7 minutes left and immediately held Pitt to a 3-and-out. Once BC got the ball, they tried to milk the clock resulting in their own 3 and out. BC D holds again (allowing only 1 first down) and BC gets the ball back... this time at the Pitt 50. BC up by 3... ball on the Pitt 50... plays not-to-lose and goes 3 and out. Coach Cushion employs his Prevent for the final 1.5 minutes of the game and it goes to OT... where Sandro misses a 39-yarder (from the hash of course). 2003 the Groundhog's Day Effect started taking hold... in fact, I'd point to this season as the quintessential TOB season. WTF loss... win over ND... boring season which was punctuated by facing a non-descript MWC team that provided hope for the next season. 2004 was the "I want this fool gone" year. 2nd-straight loss to Wake... followed by a 3rd straight loss to Pitt (which like nerd mentioned, was THE moment when I lost all hope for TOB and began to unmercifully batter him). Some will likely poitn to the 11/27 Diamond Ferri game as THE tipping point, but I never held hope that TOB would show up for that game given his history. If TOB wanted to leave beloved, he should've made damn sure he landed that UDub job instead of the laughable Ty. All that said, the most anger I have ever held for a coach came on 10/27/2005 when TOB instilled a gameplan specifically designed to lose but not get blown out. That incidentally is when I went off on EA... which resulted in my banning (along with AngryTy and then others who disagreed with Zman)... and resulted in the birth of EI.

Jags wasn't a great coach and wasn't a good guy, but he was better than any coach we had since to TC. His firing was a travesty that was only surpassed by the hiring of his replacement.

I never gave Spaz a chance. I was unimpressed with the hire and thought he would AT BEST be a poor man's TOB... at worst, he would be what he is... the single worst coach in BC history. The 9/19/2009 debacle against Clemson (where he implemented TOB's VT 2005 game plan of "don't get blown out") confirmed every thing I ever feared about the Red Sox-wearing Yankee fan (wasn't Cookies 'n' Naps spawned during the halftime video of that game?). I gave up on him and program then and there. If I had any emotion left, I would've been irrate with his forfeit a few weeks later against Va Tech (10/10).
"The Michelangelo of stupidity is again on top of his scaffolding, lying on his back and painting a masterpiece of imbecility on the ceiling of a virtual Sistine Chapel." © 2023 A AngryDick Joint
HJS
Gasson Hall

Postby BCMurt09 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:16 pm

TOB never really lost me because I was a sophomore when he left and didn't know any better. My dislike for him grew when he returned the following year as NC State's HC and just looked totally smug.

Jags still hasn't lost me. I wish he hadn't interviewed for the Jets job because it means he didn't want to be at BC, but I can't blame someone for wanting to make the jump to the big leagues.

If I'm honest with myself, I may have always thought Spaz might be able to handle things for a long time. UCF last year was a tipping point, but I lost all faith and future hope in Spaz after FSU last year. I was calling for his head before that, but still had an inkling of hope. After FSU last year, I knew there was nothing worth hoping for with him as HC.
"...and Lane Stadium goes silent..."

"On a red bandanna night, it's going to be a red letter day"

"Drive by Girardi and a save. Rebound...SCORE!"

"Stroud in trouble and Stroud is sacked again! Oh-jah-BO!"
BCMurt09
Merkert Hall

Postby Oliver Closeoff on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:22 pm

Last year was when I gave up on Spaz, his poor in state recruiting and his annual OC hires have worn thin on me. I'm pretty sure that 8 wins is Spaz's ceiling.

Jags, was smart enough to get out the coordinators way but his pride doomed his career.

TOB was after the cuse game in 2004. Another big game and another egg.
Oliver Closeoff
McGuinn Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:23 pm

From a football perspective, TOB lost me in that game against UNC when the idiot Bunting called that Ryan should be playing QB. I think BC gave up and early return to someone like Hakeem Nicks, where he fumbled and then went 80 yards, UNC got up 16, TOB finally puts Ryan in for garbage time, and he gets 2 TDs in the 4th to lose 16-14. That's the game that got me banned from EA.

I never liked O'Brien before that, thought he was a pompous douche that recruited well but underachieved with some very good talent (though he could never land a decent receiver, and had to convert corners all the time). But I accepted where he was at with the program. Pitt and Cuse the year before were travesties, but Lester dropped the ball, and the QBs were all hurt for Cuse, so I let it slide. And from a human perspective, I didn't think TOB was a worthless d-bag of a person, despite his deficiencies, until the Glasper injury. I still think BC was Raji and Glasper away from a legit title shot in 2007.

Jags never lost me and frankly would take him over the guy that fired him right now.

Spaz sucked from day 1. There was no chance he was going to succeed and though I paid lip service to giving him a chance, I never did. Hiring an OC from the Dark Ages and trying to run pro set offense with a mobile spread QB pretty much sealed the deal for me.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby ATLeagle on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:02 pm

I appreciated much of what TOB did for BC and what he stood for. He frustrated me to no end. When he said "we're up, aren't we" I knew it was over.

Obviously I am the biggest Jags apologist around. All those talking about the Music City Bowl forget that there was a terrible fumble call on Legrande on a punt return and that both Herzy and Ramella got 15 yard penalties on the final drive where they kicked the game winner. Take away even one of those and we are talking about how DDavis actually pulled off a comeback win in a bowl game.

Never liked the Spaz hire, but he lost me at Clemson that first year.
Last edited by ATLeagle on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ATLeagle
Merkert Hall

Postby commavegarage on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:05 pm

It just reminds me how universally disliked the spaz hire was. I wish we had the threads from back then. I'd bet at least 75% were anti hiring spaz.

oh, and i was barely around for toby.

jags i never stopped supporting.

i have never supported spaz.
Last edited by commavegarage on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hey huerta if you readin this dont tell jimmy **** that i put xlax in teh chuck wagons...lol
commavegarage
Devlin Hall

Postby flyingelvii on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:07 pm

TOB left after my freshman year so I didn't have much opinion of him as I didn't really follow BC football too closely.

I became a little disenfranchised with Jags after the Vandy game but it wasn't ever bad or anything. Hard to hate two ACCCG appearances.

Spaz lost me during the Wake Forest game his first year when BC was doing everything it possibly could to blow a lead before Riley Skinner decided to blow the game himself. It was then I became totally disenfranchised with Spaz's inability to play anything other than a prevent defense with a lead.
flyingelvii
Higgins Hall

Postby RegalBCeagle on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:21 pm

TOB - Hard to remember exactly when, but 2004 Cuse is likely what my brain believes is the moment I stopped supporting TOB. Lots of hatred after that point.

Jags - When the whole NY Jets thing came up. As much as the Napoleonic Midget botched that whole thing, Jags played a big enough role and I lost respect for Jags at that point. Even if GDF didn't screw that whole situation up, it's clear Jags' heart was no longer in it at BC. His recruiting class also sucked that year.

Spaz - Easiest answer. Never. I never supported this clown as HC. I was OK with him as DC. He was a very solid DC, but should never have sniffed a HC job.
RegalBCeagle
Cushing Hall

Postby DomingoOrtiz on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:22 pm

nerd {l Wrote}:1) TOB lost me as a supporter on October 16, 2004. Playing for overtime in the fourth quarter in Pittsburgh two years after losing to Pitt in overtime just pissed me off to no end.

1) Same game, and I was there. After a nice BC comeback to take the lead, we let them back in with the prevent. After holding Pitt for a FG in OT, we went ultra-cautious after an incomplete pass on 1st down, with a shitty kicker - who of course missed.

2) Was still a fan when he was canned but my opinion of him has somewhat changed since.

3) The day he was hired after the nationwide search.
DomingoOrtiz
Lyons Hall

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:41 pm

TOB - '04 Syracuse

Jags - Never

Spaz - Halftime interview of the '09 Clemson game ("It could get ugly").
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby Logitano on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:20 pm

1) Started to turn on tobias in 2000 when I still knew players on the team and it was quite clear he wanted out of BC. He thought all he had to do was make a bowl game or two and he would be back at UVA where he always wanted to be. 2002 Pitt game was where I was totally done with him. It became quite clear that TOB was not ready to do what was necessary nor did he want to for BC to win a Big East. BC had dominated Pitt all day and then went with the mentality of a 3 point lead was good enough. He showed total disregard for his kicker's ability and had all of his excuses lined up. Pretty much did not give a shit if BC won or lost just as long as he had a player to blame. Tossing his players under the bus is so beyond fucked up but of course we now have someone who is even better at it than the supply officer could ever be and then of course the RG incident shows what kind of person he really is. Wins over ND and the amazing gameplans for bowl games should make any true BC fan hate him with passion.

2) Turned on Jags simply because he made me look bad and now we are stuck with spaz. Loved his style and the emotion he brought to each game along with a stellar staff/gameplans. His getting his name out there for nfl jobs around the FSU game of his first year pissed me off because I bought in from everything I had heard concerning how the team was practicing better, gameplans were based on winning and all the other bullshit he was peddling.

3) Hated the spaz hire from day 1. Thought he was totally overrated as a DC. His defenses had a way of coming up super small in big games and i always heard he was a backstabbing a-hole. TOB was at least a dbag in front of you. Spaz is a coward and would run to Gene D behind your back. Sadface has been everything I thought he would be and more from day 1 which is not good. I do enjoy the mythical status his abilities as a DC are reaching. Jags does not get enough credit for making luigi take it up a notch his two years as head coach. As I mentioned before sadface endlessly tossing players under the bus, seriously wtf? Setting his goal for the program to make it to 7 wins, never even pretending that BC can win an ACC title. What a disaster of a human BC pays a million dollars to take naps, watch hingham high baseball and not recruit. I gave up my season tickets and did not attend 1 BC game for the first time since I was a junior in high school last year. Sadface is the worst and has been since day fucking 1. :ace
Logitano
Cushing Hall

Postby HustlinOwl on Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:23 pm

DomingoOrtiz {l Wrote}:
2) Was still a fan when he was canned but my opinion of him has somewhat changed since.

Why?
Shaven, not furred.
HustlinOwl
Merkert Hall

Postby ClubMed93 on Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Through the past, darkly...

TOB: His pussified approach always pissed me off and his close-but-not-quite results were always frustrating. But Syracuse '04 was undeniable evidence that it was time for a new coach. "Well we're up aren't we?" is when I started actively wishing that bad things would happen to him.

Jags: Loved the hire, the breath of fresh air, the toothy smile, the goofy accent, the energy and enthusiasm. He even had the "Are you a BC Guy?" tagline. But in the end, it was all bullshit and the guy wasn't that great a coach anyway. Not only did he interview with the Jets, but he did it in open defiance of his boss who instructed and cautioned him against doing so. It was at that point that he lost me, and my primary concern was keeping Logan -- losing him was 100 times worse than losing Jags.

Spaz: Before 2009, I thought he was a good football coach who got a bad rap for his cushion. Turned out he was a good DC and a horrendous HC. Is this really Year Four? Really? The past three seasons seem to have blended together like one big pile of crap. Sometime in October 2010 -- can't pinpoint the exact date/game, maybe VT -- I began to have serious concerns. By early 2011 -- specifically, the UCF debacle -- it became painfully obvious to anyone who had even a modicum of football knowledge that this man was/is completely inept. The decline in recruiting and the staff unrest/turnover have only underscored that.
ClubMed93
Carney Hall

Postby 2001Eagle on Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:20 am

TOB - It was Syracuse that was the last straw for me. Despite the WTF losses and wimpy game planes, I gave TOB a lot of slack because I respected what he had done to bring back BC from the dark days post-Coughlin and post-scandal. Plus, from an anecdotal perspective, he used to be very nice everytime I saw him on campus or jogging around the res in the late 90's. The Diamond Ferri disaster sealed it for me. There was no game plan and barely a pulse on the BC bench.

Jagz - Never. In retrospect it seems clear that Jagz took the BC job to ice the cake of what he thought was his solid NFL head coaching resume: years as a successful coordinator and then a successful stint at a college football program. Obviously, that didn't work out. I've never been sure how accurate the rumors about his character are, but I'm not sure that I care (though I never liked the leather jacket on the sidelines). BC football in my lifetime was never as fun as it was in 2007, and 2008 showed that Jagz and staff could coach a winner even without Matty Ice. I worry that 2007 was the high water mark for BC football and will remain a taunting and ephemeral wisp of a memory in my increasingly bitter and addled mind as I grow older.

Spaz - I did not like the hire and knew that BC could have done much better, but I will admit that I wasn't against it. At the time, I talked myself into the concept that it was a good thing to generally keep intact the coaching staff that had led BC to several years of solid and sometimes spectacular results. Of course, there were immediate signs that Spaz was in over his head in 2009, but I stayed hopeful primarily because my maroon colored glasses have thick lenses. And, even though it may open me up to ridicule, I still had hope for Spaz after 5 win streak to close the 2010 regular season. Yes, I hated that he had thrown most of Jagz's players under the bus and wore out the excuse book, but I still thought that there was a chance he would be able to deliver a solid, winning season in 2011. The first three weeks of September 2011 demonstrated unequivocally that Spaz has no business being the head coach of any level of football team, not even pee wee. Unprepared for Northwestern, sloppy and terrible against a poor UCF team and the "middle schmiddle" Duke debacle. This man and his oompa loompa despot of a boss must go.
Coach hard. Love hard.
2001Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby angrychicken on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:00 am

TOB - October 23, 1999. The first glimpse of "We're up, aren't we?" From that point on, I never liked the guy. For years, I would trash him to longtime BC boosters, and they had no idea what I was talking about. Towards the end, they finally told me that I was right the whole time.

Jags - Like someone said before, there was already something going on during his final bowl game. He just wasn't there and seemed to be planning his exit. That being said, I never stopped supporting him. He wasn't afraid of winning.

Spaz - I never liked the hire, but was willing to support him at the beginning. That quickly changed. See: Tranq, Clemson, cookies and naps, VT.
angrychicken
Gasson Hall

Postby Cadillac90 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:05 am

TOB - call me crazy but I stopped supporting this defeatist prick after the Miami game in 1999!!!! Up 28-0 midway through the 3rd quarter and he just bent over and let the U come all the way back. I will never forget the sad, defeated look on his face when Miami tied it up at 28 despite the fact that BC was getting the ball back and there was 3+ minutes left in the game. I said to my friends after they showed TOB on the sideline throw his hat off and hang his head low, "well, the coach just gave up on the team and there's no way they will win this game." I never forgot that and it truly defined what type of loser coach TOB was/is. Could anyone imagine Tom Coughlin giving up at that point in a game?

Jags - call me crazy two but I never really cared too much for him as a coach but did appreciate the attitude he brought with him. I guess I never stopped supporting him.

Spaz - that Clemson game...what a dickhole.
Cadillac90
Cushing Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:28 am

flyingelvii {l Wrote}:TOB left after my freshman year so I didn't have much opinion of him as I didn't really follow BC football too closely.

I became a little disenfranchised with Jags after the Vandy game but it wasn't ever bad or anything. Hard to hate two ACCCG appearances.

Spaz lost me during the Wake Forest game his first year when BC was doing everything it possibly could to blow a lead before Riley Skinner decided to blow the game himself. It was then I became totally disenfranchised with Spaz's inability to play anything other than a prevent defense with a lead.

As we are the same year our mentalities are pretty similar. I followed BC football before coming here but it was in the sense of if it's on I would watch.

TOB: I knew of his conservative (to say the least ways) and it stuck out against NCST and Wake but I don't have the scars from him others do.

Jags: I would take him right now to be our HC. The energy and swagger he brought to the program, on campus, etc was amazing. As someone who was on campus for 3 HCs, no one came close to him. He thought BC could beat anyone on any day. I thought the Vandy game was odd but I chalked it up to team being very disappointed after back to back ACC CG losses. I didn't have a problem with him interviewing for the Jets job (even though I knew he wouldn't get it), shouldn't we all strive to be in the top 30 in our profession world wide?

Edit: I'm going to add to this. And for the faults people cite for Jags are just 110% false.
Recruiting: In 2 cycles he recruited 2 1st rounders and the schools all time leading rusher
Coordinators: Shouldn't someone want to surround himself with the best? Opposed to simply promoting an old buddy from within or hiring a guy who we were sure had a pulse?

Spaz: While not on the HomoJS level of hatred, for the hire I thought it reeked of BC swinging the pendulum to the complete opposite of Jags. A "safe" (TOB-lite on a fucking good day), cheap, loyal :suicide coach who has zero aspiration. Unfortunately, that mentality spreads to his coaching as well.

When I thought we were in trouble was the Clemson game, that was a fucking disaster. We had OL (what had been a bedrock under Jags and still had a to be 1st rounder) lining up out of place, Spaz looking like somone shot his dog, etc.

When I knew we were in trouble: Wake. Sure we won but Spaz employed the most conservative bullshit I have ever seen. Allowed them to march all the way down the field consecutive times late in the 4th Q and a lucky bounce saves us. I knew it was all over then.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby 31southst on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:12 am

1) My freshman year was 2004 so I didn't have the preconception of TOB to realize the implications of the Syracuse game. I was off the bandwagon in 05 after the UNC game and totally out in 06 after the loss at Wake.

2) I never really soured on Jags. Some of the stories that have come out paint him in a different light but I can't say I ever stopped supporting a coach that was 2/2 in winning the Atlantic.

3) I really gave Spaz the benefit of the doubt but knew we were in a world of trouble following VT in combination with whenever that video came out with him counting down the number of wins to bowl eligibility in the lockerroom following some game (I'm pretty sure it was his first year).
31southst
Cushing Hall

Postby eagle9903 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:36 am

TOB - it's interesting how effected these responses are by the age of the poster, or maybe when they started following BC football. Having no frame of reference for BC football (TOB was all I'd known) I didn't turn on TOB until the stretch of the Wake game (Ryan comeback) - Virginia Tech beatdown (QP start blowout) - UNC game (QP start - Bunting comment)in 2005.

Jags - I was pretty mad when I saw the ticker on ESPN in January 2009. I guess count me as a never. Being honest, I was getting frustrated by 2009 recruiting. That was the first year Schiano started really kicking our ass and as others have said I was not impressed by how the team came out in the ACC championship game or the bowl game. Despite those low points I had a lot of confidence still. I remember believing we'd get a commitment from Jeff Blake's son, who ended up at auburn after Jags left, and Tajh Boyd.

Spaz - Clemson 2009. I think I may have waivered briefly and stupidly back to foolish optimism after the FSU game, but was back 110% after Virginia Tech.
domingoortiz
eepstein0
corporal funishment
innocentbystander
davidgordonswang
maybe hansen
eagle9903
Fulton Hall

Postby twballgame9 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:41 am

As a caveat, :vader and I thought O'Brien sucked all the way back to Cloud up the middle 4 times and the debacle with Miami in 99. I was close to done by the Pitt/Cuse games in 2004, and the failure to grab that silver platter UConn-esque BCS appearance. But I wasn't done until UNC, everyone, including the opposing coach, screaming for him to play Ryan.
"We remind everyone that Boston College fired a perfectly good coach because he went on a job interview, and deserves all of this." Spencer Hall
twballgame9
BC Guy

Postby DavidGordonsFoot on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:44 am

eagle9903 {l Wrote}:TOB - it's interesting how effected these responses are by the age of the poster, or maybe when they started following BC football.

I was thinking the same thing. The '99 Miami game was a vicious stomach punch of a loss, but from my perspective at the time:
1) The team had won 5 games to date, which exceeded the win totals of the previous three years I had endured as a student, and it was still only October. A bowl game was well within reach and that was what I cared about most. After all that losing, I could forgive a loss to Miami, just make a bowl game.
2) I still wasn't sure if the team was legit or not. The first half of the schedule might have been the easiest in BC history: Baylor, @Navy, @Rutgers, Northeastern, @Temple (which they lost), and Pitt.
hello
DavidGordonsFoot
Gasson Hall

Postby cvilleagle on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:49 am

TOB - 2001 Miami game. That game was so atrociously mismanaged down the stretch. For some reason I was sitting in the end zone (I think family was in town). As I watched Ed Reed sprint towards the opposite end of the field, I realized that TOB had blown what would have been a huge win, and one that we should have had.

Jags - When he was fired by the Nighthawks.

Spaz - I'm a little different because I didn't actually get to see the '09 Clemson game due to a Saturday wedding (which should be illegal in the fall), although I heard all about it. I was somewhat concerned even before the Clemson game, though, because we did not put the pounding on Kent State that we should have. Virginia Tech was the first major Spazblunder I got to see with my own eyes, so I would say that is probably when I lost faith in him.
cvilleagle
Devlin Hall

Postby 1981Eagle on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:55 am

TOB-UNC game when he kept Handsome in over Matty Ice.

Jags-When he told GDF there was nothing to the Jets rumor. It was an obvious lie.

Spaz--Navy game after TOB left. That showed me right then before this current mess that this guy is not a HC.

:81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81 :81
GDF-Ever to the Bottom
1981Eagle
Merkert Hall

Postby claver2010 on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:02 am

cvilleagle {l Wrote}:TOB - 2001 Miami game. That game was so atrociously mismanaged down the stretch. For some reason I was sitting in the end zone (I think family was in town). As I watched Ed Reed sprint towards the opposite end of the field, I realized that TOB had blown what would have been a huge win, and one that we should have had.

Jags - When he was fired by the Nighthawks.

Spaz - I'm a little different because I didn't actually get to see the '09 Clemson game due to a Saturday wedding (which should be illegal in the fall), although I heard all about it. I was somewhat concerned even before the Clemson game, though, because we did not put the pounding on Kent State that we should have. Virginia Tech was the first major Spazblunder I got to see with my own eyes, so I would say that is probably when I lost faith in him.

Just alerted of a Sunday wedding this fall. Should add commentary to my engagement party WTF thread (same couple).

But there is apparently a 5% chance he will get deployed during their original date (April of 2013) so they didn't want to risk it.
Bush, George H W
Cosby, Bill
Disick, Scott
Flair, Ric
Griffin, Kathy
Khamenei, Ali
McCain, John
Pele
Soros, George
claver2010
BC Guy

Postby Mike_S on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:12 am

TOB - Pitt game where he played for the FG in OT, absolutely horrible. Also going for 2 against Miami 'by accident' in OT!!

Jags -- Never, he was great at BC. Everything that's happened with him since doesn't distract from how fun things were when he was BC coach. FSU game, and then making the ACC title game in 2008 was more amazing in many ways than 2007.

Spaz -- Liked him a lot as DC, thought the criticism here was unjust. So he kept me for a while as HC. Somewhere during 2010 lost me - maybe Wake, then UCF and Duke last year really cemented it.
Mike_S
Carney Hall

Postby b0mberMan on Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:16 am

My Senior Year we announced our move to the ACC sometime in the middle of football season. We had smuggled a bunch of liquor into the stadium and were sitting in the back of the student section drinking and watching the game and some alums showed up and we started sharing with them and shooting the shit. One of them asked what I thought our chances would be in the ACC and after thinking about it, I said "You know what? I don't think TOB can get it done against the competition there. We need a new coach if we're going to do anything." Everything after that was pretty much confirmation that I had the right idea - Cuse, WF and UNC and Ryan vs. Porter, Miami...

I liked Jags. I didn't lose faith in him, but acknowledge he wasn't the be-all end-all. But he was enthusiastic and wanted to win and brought Logan with him. I think it was the best we were going to get with GDF in charge and it was working pretty well, frankly.

Clemson did it for me with Spaz. I was livid but have been less and less upset with every shitty loss to the point this last year where I was laughing at the end of the Duke game.
NorthEndEagle {l Wrote}:cat hair pee fire
b0mberMan
Lyons Hall

Next

Return to Alumni Stadium